AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
about  $1136

Don't see why it's so expensive. To import that, it would need to be in a neutered state like the Saigas.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:38:05 AM EDT
[#2]
another quick review...

First impression...  nice!  It appears well built, the tooling marks are there both in the lightening cuts and on the flat sides of the reciever.  They appear slightly worse on this rifle than on BillT's.  The Polish parts are not numbers matching with the only two matching numbers being on the bolt & bolt carrier.  Crisp double hook G2 trigger, nice wood although not matching with solid wood lower handguard and a laminate buttstock.  The action is buttery smooth, possibly smoother than any other ak I own and I own a lot of them.  The blued finish is very smooth and even over the whole rifle, much better than any previous Century AK I've handled.  Everything fits tight, the top cover almost too tight, the gas tube and furniture are all tight.

The bad after closer inspection...  

#1: Front sight is a litte canted, it's not terrible and I believe well within acceptable adjustment.  Just slightly annoying.

#2: There is considerable mag wobble using the mag shipped with the rifle.  It's not WASR bad, but it's the worst woblle from any milled rifle I have.  I can't confirm this with other mags until I get home tonight but I'll try multiple mags this evening and report back.  (I have since tried 25 other mags, tje worst one was the mag that came with the rifle, most other mags lock up pretty tight.  The mag well seems to be very slightly wider than my milled bulgarians, but to be fair some mags are actually too tight in those rifles.)

#3: There are obvious burs sticking down into the barrel from the gas port.  They will clean up easily, but they are apparent just looking down the barrel and it's clear the rifles are not test fired prior to shipping or they wouldn't be there.

Ok...  a few more.

For those like me who prefer the more traditional look with muzzle nut & cleaning rod.

Tooling marks...

Bolt face...

Sight cant...

I threw a muzzle nut on because a milled AK just doesn't look right to me with a slant break and I had a couple cleaning rods laying around, I had to cut about an inch off to make it fit.  So far I'm inpressed for what it is...  I don't think I can live with the non-matching wood so I'll probably pick up one of those unissued polish milled sets floating around.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

another quick review...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/Nautilusvt/Post%20pics/guns/Polish%201960%20Milled/HPIM2648small.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/Nautilusvt/Post%20pics/guns/Polish%201960%20Milled/HPIM2647small.jpg

First impression...  nice!  It appears well built, the tooling marks are there both in the lightening cuts and on the flat sides of the reciever.  They appear slightly worse on this rifle than on BillT's.  The Polish parts are not numbers matching with the only two matching numbers being on the bolt & bolt carrier.  Crisp double hook G2 trigger, nice wood although not matching with solid wood lower handguard and a laminate buttstock.  The action is buttery smooth, possibly smoother than any other ak I own and I own a lot of them.  The blued finish is very smooth and even over the whole rifle, much better than any previous Century AK I've handled.  Everything fits tight, the top cover almost too tight, the gas tube and furniture are all tight.

The bad after closer inspection...  

#1: Front sight is a litte canted, it's not terrible and I believe well within acceptable adjustment.  Just slightly annoying.

#2: There is considerable mag wobble using the mag shipped with the rifle.  It's not WASR bad, but it's the worst woblle from any milled rifle I have.  I can't confirm this with other mags until I get home tonight but I'll try multiple mags this evening and report back.  (I have since tried 25 other mags, tje worst one was the mag that came with the rifle, most other mags lock up pretty tight.  The mag well seems to be very slightly wider than my milled bulgarians, but to be fair some mags are actually too tight in those rifles.)

#3: There are obvious burs sticking down into the barrel from the gas port.  They will clean up easily, but they are apparent just looking down the barrel and it's clear the rifles are not test fired prior to shipping or they wouldn't be there.

Ok...  a few more.

For those like me who prefer the more traditional look with muzzle nut & cleaning rod.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/Nautilusvt/Post%20pics/guns/Polish%201960%20Milled/1960Polish001small.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/Nautilusvt/Post%20pics/guns/Polish%201960%20Milled/1960Polish002small.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/Nautilusvt/Post%20pics/guns/Polish%201960%20Milled/1960Polish005small.jpg

Tooling marks...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/Nautilusvt/Post%20pics/guns/Polish%201960%20Milled/1960Polish007small.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/Nautilusvt/Post%20pics/guns/Polish%201960%20Milled/1960Polish008small.jpg

Bolt face...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/Nautilusvt/Post%20pics/guns/Polish%201960%20Milled/1960Polish009small.jpg

Sight cant...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/Nautilusvt/Post%20pics/guns/Polish%201960%20Milled/1960Polish020small.jpg

I threw a muzzle nut on because a milled AK just doesn't look right to me with a slant break and I had a couple cleaning rods laying around, I had to cut about an inch off to make it fit.  So far I'm inpressed for what it is...  I don't think I can live with the non-matching wood so I'll probably pick up one of those unissued polish milled sets floating around.

Nice review and pics.  I could live with the machining marks (it's an AK).  Good call on the muzzle nut and I agree that the furniture needs help.  The new wood should really make a difference.  Post pics with the new wood if you get a chance.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#4]
So is this from "former" Hesse or not? Fidley MN is in that area where Blackthrone's at.

Also, I was sure this is a cast receiver similar to what Century uses on their FAL. They also used cast G3 receivers for CETME before they went to stamped. is there any indication that is a cast piece, and then milled on the sides and lightening cuts to clean it up? It seems a properly milled (from ingot) AK receiver would make the rifle much more expensive.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks pretty good, too bad they couldnt put their info on the underside infront of the magwell, and the lightening cuts seem to just be something US builders can't get right.

ETA:
Whats the barrel specs?
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice review and photos.................Thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 6:02:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I did a search on ATM, Fridley, Minnesota and came up with About Time Machining (ATM). They dont mention firearms or receiver manufacturing anywhere on their site so.......I dont know.
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#8]
There is one US manufacturer (re-welds) who gets the lightening cuts right. Check out turbothis sometime.
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 6:51:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Ugly as sin with the Century billboard and mismatched wood.
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Why is it so hard for a company to make a rifle with out canted sights?
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I did a search on ATM, Fridley, Minnesota and came up with About Time Machining (ATM). They dont mention firearms or receiver manufacturing anywhere on their site so.......I dont know.

It would appear that About Time Machining is the manufacturer of this receiver:

http://www.abouttimemachining.com/worksamples.htm

The milled receiver bearing the US flag on it looks like the one that Century has on their 'Centurion' rifle.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#12]
wow the cant & tooling marks would drive me nuts.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would appear that About Time Machining is the manufacturer of this receiver:

http://www.abouttimemachining.com/worksamples.htm

The milled receiver bearing the US flag on it looks like the one that Century has on their 'Centurion' rifle.

Sorry, I'm a little slow.... Does that rule out Hesse?

A friend of mine is thinking of purchasing one of these rifles.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone know what the hole is for at the bottom of the receiver?  It's what is keeping the cleaning rod from going all the way in on mine.

My rifle...

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I think the hole is there so they can get at the feed ramp rivet to crush it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Just picked this one up at the gun show. Came with cleaning rod, bayonet and 3 mags. No sling. Cleaning rod was a few thousands too long but a file took care of that. One mag was trashed...oh well.

Otherwise the fit and finish on this rifle is excellent. Action is butter smooth, trigger is light, sights are straight and the wood is brand spanking new and the finish matches perfectly.

I'll get it out to the range next weekend for a report.

[
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow nice score really nice stock set,id like to add that to my collection
Link Posted: 3/27/2010 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Managed to get mine out to the range today.

Went through a couple of mags without any hiccups.

Was only shooting at 50 yards, but managed to keep everything inside a 3" shoot-n-see.

I'm happy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2010 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Managed to get mine out to the range today.

Went through a couple of mags without any hiccups.

Was only shooting at 50 yards, but managed to keep everything inside a 3" shoot-n-see.

I'm happy.

A buddy picked one up this week from atlanticfirearms, I can't wait to try it out soon
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#20]
What's the medal in the buttstock in the two rifles pictured above?
Sorry, probably a stupid question.

Bear with me if this is bastardized terminology as well, and I think my grammar is fubar this time of day, but on my friends milled 1960, the button that you push on the recoil spring assembly, to detach the receiver cover, has a little "switch" if you will, up and down. I'd never seen one like that, what's that all about? I think he had some trouble with it. I think it's cool, just never seen one like that.

I only got to inspect the rifle for a few minutes, but it was for the most part, dead sexy.

eta, one more dumb question, the gas shutoff valve, what's the story? grenade launcher...? explain please.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

To attach a rubber butt plate
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone got a pic of one?

I tried my buddies rifle out today. Pretty sweet. I told him I'd buy it, he said never.

Tempted to sell my Vector and snatch one up. I want too many nice things.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyone know what the hole is for at the bottom of the receiver?  It's what is keeping the cleaning rod from going all the way in on mine.

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww261/CircRN/100_1785.jpg

My rifle...

A comblok receiver has a milled out section in that area that is covered by a plate.  To save a step the just drilled a hole.

The plate can be seen here:
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone got a pic of one?

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone noticed these rifles are being assembled from two different kits? One is a KBK GN 60 and the other is a standard AK-47. The ones built on the KBK GN 60 kits even have the gas cutoff gas blocks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Any more info on these?

Are the bores chrome or not?
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Mine looks chromed. The chamber does not appear to be chromed. Hard to tell until I take it apart.

Seymore
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm guessing the barrels are not polish correct? Also, why do they always replace the trigger with a tapco one? If they wanted compliance parts they could just buy a tapco magazine instead.

IMHO, the Tapco trigger is one of the best triggers out there. The only other triggers that I can think of that are just a bit higher in quality were the trigger installed in Norinco's and Polytech's. Besides, I don't think you will find many folks who would take a Tapco magazine over a factory military magazine.

thanks,
Ron

I don't trust American companies with anything AK related. If anything would go wrong, I'd rather it be with the magazine then the trigger.

The G2 has a great track record. Tapco mags look kinda dumb.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought one a couple of weeks ago.  Sights were almost dead on out of the box.  Never had an AK with such a well centered front sight.  I put a XS Big Dot front site on it and the XS Express rear sight.

Action was smooth as silk, great trigger, and it was reasonably accurate.

Came with 3 mags and a bayonet.

Everything was very tight on the gun and I now have my favorite AK so far.
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm guessing the barrels are not polish correct? Also, why do they always replace the trigger with a tapco one? If they wanted compliance parts they could just buy a tapco magazine instead.

IMHO, the Tapco trigger is one of the best triggers out there. The only other triggers that I can think of that are just a bit higher in quality were the trigger installed in Norinco's and Polytech's. Besides, I don't think you will find many folks who would take a Tapco magazine over a factory military magazine.

thanks,
Ron

I don't trust American companies with anything AK related. If anything would go wrong, I'd rather it be with the magazine then the trigger.

The G2 has a great track record. Tapco mags look kinda dumb.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but as far as I could tell the Tapco mags don't fit in this rifle anyway. I tried them in two different guns and they wouldn't clip in on either of them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#31]
the fangs are for the cleaning rod. the barrel is us manufactured by ati just like the receiver j&g sales says so. plus these are 1960 model ak 47 they used the type 1 bayonet no need for lug. there is no need to discuss the barrel anymore because its not chromelined which means its a us manufactured barrel. the only ak rifles produced without chromelined barrels were the yugoslavian ones and that was because of the lack of chromium in that country.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#32]
got answer elsewhere
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top