Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
MY WASR HAS HAD 3000 ROUNDS THOUGH IT AND HAS OUTSHOT A VEPR AND SOME AMERICAN MADE WITH A BULGARIAN RECEIVER AND I HAVE HAD NO QUALITY PROBLEMS BUT A RATTLY MAG WELL BUT I AM 100 PERCENT SATISFIED WITH IT AND WOULD NEVER BUY A MORE EXPENSIVE ONE. The receiver is great also, the mag well looks like it was just made as a high cap.

I would believe it when I saw it.

Believe it, I've got a WASR that I handpicked that holds 2inch groups @ 85 to 90 yrds with Irons on a bench rest.

But that is the exception rather than the Rule.

ArsenalSAM7 or VEPRK are still the best AK variants I have bought today.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Either an SA M7 Carbine, a Vepr-K in 7.62x39mm, or wait for the SLR107 OR SLR108 from Arsenal. They should be coming out soon...hopefully
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I finally decided to go with the Vepr. I was trolling Gun Broker, and came upon this baby. It was a great deal! I picked it up Wednesday. Came with all you see. Wadda ya guys think?

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What is a  AK-GPWASR and why is it so cheap ?

Low quality usually equals low cost. I would hate for your first impression of an AK to come from a WASR.

I've shot plenty of different Ak variants, and a WASR happened to be the first I owned. Maybe I was privy to some form of manufacturing miracle, but mine has performed flawlessly through 5k+ rounds in the 7 months I've owned it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Low quality usually equals low cost. I would hate for your first impression of an AK to come from a WASR.

I've shot plenty of different Ak variants, and a WASR happened to be the first I owned. Maybe I was privy to some form of manufacturing miracle, but mine has performed flawlessly through 5k+ rounds in the 7 months I've owned it.

OK. It is still one of the lowest quality AKs on the market, whether yours ran or not doesn't change that. But thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I have two Romanian MkII (5.45mm) rifles built  or imported in 1997 and they work flawlessly...these rifles of course were 100% romanian so not re-worked in the USA. Early Romanian rifles, from what I have seen so far were decent quality but as time went on, the quality went way down...combine that with the monkeys at century working on them and you have some serious quality issues..that is not to say that all of them are crap, but many are not totally up to what they should be. You will always find some goodones though.

Rifles like this were mostly fo good quality. Would this outshoot a Vepr? I don't know but I will find out as soon as my 5.45mm Vepr get here in about a week or so.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Among many other AKs I own and have owned I have owned about a half dozen SARs and WASRs....they are a decent gun and good one to learn with...the problems said above are few and far between. Most people who bad mouth them have never owned one or are AK snobs. I own Chinese Prebans and Polish prebans...Hungarians, Romanians and US made...nothing wrong with the WASR...they come with a new G2 trigger group and 90 degree gas tube. As far as having to grind out the mag wells...BS...thats very rare, send it back and they will fix it for you altho its a simple fix. Dont let someone who has probably never owned one make your decision for you. Get the WASR and some ammo with the money you save and go nuts.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I finally decided to go with the Vepr. I was trolling Gun Broker, and came upon this baby. It was a great deal! I picked it up Wednesday. Came with all you see. Wadda ya guys think?

Great choice Gary!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big +1 to that.  I bought a WASR when I looked for my first AK.  It didn't have any function issues after a few hundred rnds but I was overall unimpressed.  Fit and finish left much to be desired.  The WASR does have a purpose...but now I realize I should have just spent $100 more on a SAR-1 or even a little more on a Vector.  I ended up selling it a month later and buying the SLR-105a1R I have now.  Now the problem is finding 5.45x69 ammo for a decent price.  The only place that has it charges $4/ box of 20rnds Wolf.  I can't wait for this ammo shortage to end.  I'm getting another Arsenal after I pay off a HK P7 I have on lay-a-way.  It will probably be a milled receiver AK...SAM-7 Carbine or a M-7 Classic Underfolder, if money allows.  Enjoy...

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great choice Gary!

Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great choice Gary!

+1

Beautiful Piece!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great choice Gary!

+1

Beautiful Piece!

Thank you as well. I thought so too. Alot heavier than I thought.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Among many other AKs I own and have owned I have owned about a half dozen SARs and WASRs....they are a decent gun and good one to learn with...the problems said above are few and far between. Most people who bad mouth them have never owned one or are AK snobs. I own Chinese Prebans and Polish prebans...Hungarians, Romanians and US made...nothing wrong with the WASR...they come with a new G2 trigger group and 90 degree gas tube. As far as having to grind out the mag wells...BS...thats very rare, send it back and they will fix it for you altho its a simple fix. Dont let someone who has probably never owned one make your decision for you. Get the WASR and some ammo with the money you save and go nuts.

I've never heard of such a thing.  Polish AKs were imported before 1989?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great choice Gary!

+1

Beautiful Piece!

Thank you as well. I thought so too. Alot heavier than I thought.

The weight is from the RPK reinforced receiver (notice the bulges on both sides of the receiver) and the heavier barrel.  Those are the reasons that rifle will produce notably more accurate groups.  I have a VEPR K in 7.62X39, and like it a lot.  

I'm sure your .223 version will put up some NICE groups!  That's a nice package deal you got with that rifle.  It's nice when you get a bunch of mags all together like that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I almost bought a WASR when I was in the market for a second Ak, thank God I stumbled upon this
Polytech when I was about to purchase a WASRhttp://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e100/oxyman/Picture142.jpg
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well, since I started this, I guess I will chime in with the fact that I have secured a deal with a guy for my first AK. I decided to go with the VEPR. After all the legal mumbo-jumbo is dealt with, and I recieve it, I will post the pics!

That's a good start. Once you get it, all you have to do turn it into an AK is ditch the receiver and the entire funny stock set and you're good to go!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Romanian

They're 'cheap' because there are alot of them on the market - it's the most common AK variant imported....

It's also one of the cheapest, and to get around BATF restrictions they are re-manufactured by the importer, Century Arms....

Century doesn't allways put the greatest amount of care into their products, so the end result is that any rifle you order may/may not turn out... It's allways been this way with Romy rifles, but it's gotten worse as the original guns come in more 'PC-ified' to make the ATF happy...

The WASR line comes to the US (or used to) fully neutered - only able to accept special low-cap magazines, and sans muzzle attachments & bayo fixtures... Century then converts said rifles back to 'original' specs, and this is where the problems begin... CAI does their business thru volume, and the cheaper they can do their conversions, the better... End result is a crap-shoot between a good rifle for a low price or a shitty rifle for the same price....
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:39:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Romanian

They're 'cheap' because there are alot of them on the market - it's the most common AK variant imported....

It's also one of the cheapest, and to get around BATF restrictions they are re-manufactured by the importer, Century Arms....

Century doesn't allways put the greatest amount of care into their products, so the end result is that any rifle you order may/may not turn out... It's allways been this way with Romy rifles, but it's gotten worse as the original guns come in more 'PC-ified' to make the ATF happy...

The WASR line comes to the US (or used to) fully neutered - only able to accept special low-cap magazines, and sans muzzle attachments & bayo fixtures... Century then converts said rifles back to 'original' specs, and this is where the problems begin... CAI does their business thru volume, and the cheaper they can do their conversions, the better... End result is a crap-shoot between a good rifle for a low price or a shitty rifle for the same price....

Wow. I think that is the most dignified responce that question will ever get. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:44:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, since I started this, I guess I will chime in with the fact that I have secured a deal with a guy for my first AK. I decided to go with the VEPR. After all the legal mumbo-jumbo is dealt with, and I recieve it, I will post the pics!

That's a good start. Once you get it, all you have to do turn it into an AK is ditch the receiver and the entire funny stock set and you're good to go!

Why? The one I got (15 posts above this one) is not considered an AK to you?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:53:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why? Because he is an ass. The Vepr is a far superior rifle to most of the "traditional" AKs out there. This guy is just a troll, ignore him.

ETA with a name like "M4C" it's obvious that function is less important to him than form.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

WTF are you talking about ditch the receiver? If the stock isn't to your liking that's one thing but Vepr receivers are some of the strongest most well made ones you can get your hands on.
You probaly think the world of Hesse ones and have a line of credit with Tapco.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why? Because he is an ass. The Vepr is a far superior rifle to most of the "traditional" AKs out there. This guy is just a troll, ignore him.

ETA with a name like "M4C" it's obvious that function is less important to him than form.

Personal attacks Biggerstick??
I thought this was about AKs.
I put in my two cents and stuck to the topic.
With a name like BiggerStick47 it's ironic you act like a small man with a large craving asshole. If you can't stand a differing opinion on the topic, may I suggest you take that so-called BiggerStick of yours and do a u-turn with it  to satisfy your small man desires.  
Don't forget to do Selectfire too while you're at it.

Has anyone berated you Biggerstick, for this opinion? [BTW,  I don't like WASRs either.]
"OK. It [WASR] is still one of the lowest quality AKs on the market, whether yours ran or not doesn't change that..."

Assclowns.

I've been a member - registering on two occasions - and reading these boards since 1999 (apparently before either of these two), and never have seen experienced this kind of uncalled-for behavior from any members.

GaryV311 I'm sorry this all got so blown-up. I trust you know who it is that initiated the trashing your thread.
I believe the VEPR is a good weapon, just not an bonafide AK/AKM by my standards, and I'm sticking to it. Have I ever handled a VEPR? Yes I have. It is a quality rifle, and is way heavy to be an AK because it does not have the correct receiver or stocks. That is that.
You may or may not have purchased it for these reasons, and that is your prerogative. If you're happy with it, then that is what counts. Power to you. Enjoy.
Someday I may get a VEPR after I'm done collecting AKs.
M4C
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I've been a member - registering on two occasions - and reading these boards since 1999 (apparently before either of these two), and never have seen experienced this kind of uncalled-for behavior from any members.

M4C

And I bet you've been an ass since 1999.

Quoted: and never have seen experienced this kind of uncalled-for behavior from any members.

You mean like this?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
what do you think about the .223 WASR? And what does WASR stand for?

What A Shitty Rifle.

Wicked ass sniper rifle.

Wacky Acronyms Sell Rifles.

WTF does VEPR stand for, anyhow?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
what do you think about the .223 WASR? And what does WASR stand for?

What A Shitty Rifle.

Wicked ass sniper rifle.

Wacky Acronyms Sell Rifles.

WTF does VEPR stand for, anyhow?

Very Effective Precision Rifle

Actually, a Vepr is a type of wild hog:

In case anyone is curious, here's the majestic Saiga:

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or he could have just bought a WASR....And what makes you the AK officianado around here? Just because you dont like it, makes it NOT AN AK? And if you have registered here on 2 occasions....What did you get kicked off the board for the first time? And guess what....Not everybody is a collector...SO not everybody cares about what the gun looks like. I personally prefer the Kalashnikov system because I think it is a better system than the stoner system. That coupled with a the features of the VEPR, RPK barrell and reciever and heavier furniture which makes it more accurate. Makes it a much better rifle than the safe queens you are saving for historical value.......Yeah, I have an underfolder mak 90 with a extended magazine release and a synthetic foregrip, with a  bottom picatinny rail that has a pistol grip mounted on it, does that make it not an ak? I bet your a huge fan of the Polish Breyl...Which is just as far from a 47 model kalashnikov as the VEPR is.....But its cool because its issued by the military, no matter what country it is from.....
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:36:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my first and only ak is a wasr 10 with no break or bayo lug that i bought for $300 i refinished the stock and smoothed the trigger and i love that gun.

and best i can come up with wasr stnds for Washington Approved Semiauto Rifle
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#28]
My first AK was a WASR hicap.  It shots fine, and has always functioned at 100%.  Last year I picked up a VEPR-K, great rifle. Yes they are a little heavier than a traditional AK, but the trade off is a stronger and better shooting rifle. Some like that trade off some don't
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Or he could have just bought a WASR....And what makes you the AK officianado around here? Just because you dont like it, makes it NOT AN AK? And if you have registered here on 2 occasions....What did you get kicked off the board for the first time? And guess what....Not everybody is a collector...SO not everybody cares about what the gun looks like. I personally prefer the Kalashnikov system because I think it is a better system than the stoner system. That coupled with a the features of the VEPR, RPK barrell and reciever and heavier furniture which makes it more accurate. Makes it a much better rifle than the safe queens you are saving for historical value.......Yeah, I have an underfolder mak 90 with a extended magazine release and a synthetic foregrip, with a  bottom picatinny rail that has a pistol grip mounted on it, does that make it not an ak? I bet your a huge fan of the Polish Breyl...Which is just as far from a 47 model kalashnikov as the VEPR is.....But its cool because its issued by the military, no matter what country it is from.....

Another REMF...they keep popping up.  Just how much Kool-Aid are they putting in the water in Georgia anyway?
Heavier furniture helps to make for more accuracy too?
Hey Bubba, ever try shooting your MAK with a baseball cap or beer can hanging off the muzzle? - It's cool, I seen it! I seen it! LOL

As I said before, the VEPR is a very nice, albeit somewhat pricey, AK-style sporting rifle, but an AK-47, AKM, or AK-74 resembling a military-issue variant it is not.
Amazing that this is what the fight and panty-bunching is over.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Amazing that this is what the fight and panty-bunching is over.

Actually, it was your trolling that started all of the animosity. You would think someone who had been here since 1999 would know better.

Oh, and by the way genius, it's the system that makes it an AK, not the furniture.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#31]
No ass, the heavier furniture gives less recoil, which helps hold the rifle still...therefore making for a more accurate rifle.  Sounds like you have some animosity against us southerners.......But I guess I can blame you......Not everybody can be from the south......
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Boy you two yahoos just like to escalate from the dumb to the realm of just plain stupidity.

Now it's about  'southerners'?

Wanna talk of southerners?  I know quite a few of them and are fine people, which is why I'm puzzled when I come across a couple of very non-southernlike pissing and moaning types who get personally offended by someone who critiqued a weapon they happened to own as if were their own brainchild  - yeah right And now one of them, after all the whining, has the gall to hide behind his 'southern roots' when the going gets rough. Pathetic.
Not the type of southerners I know of. You ain't no southerner, boy.
Like I said, must be Kool-Aid talking in this case.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Oh, and by the way genius, it's the system that makes it an AK, not the furniture.

Now there's a revelation!  
I think we finally have this argument settled for all ages.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
In about a month, I will be in the market for an AK. I have never owned one, and only ever shot one. My budget will be around $300-$450. What country/style would be good? Leave plenty of feedback. Thanks alot fellas!

Well, I think I have gotten all I asked for from this. Thanks to the ones who helped. Shame on those who thrashed.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Just a quick note, I shot her for the first time yesterday. HOT DAMN!!!!! I love her!!! The Vepr was the best suggestion.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top