AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
JD, yes, the Romanian stocks should fit right up with no problems, one of the big things about these rifles is that they are proper European stamped receivers, with the correct geometry and heat treatment.

They are planning to sell stamped 7.62x39mm rifles soon, but I don't know a definite time frame, but my edjumacated best gestimate would be another month.

that should work good for the folding stock beater I want... I dont really care about the FSB or teh muzzle on that one (BTW what is that on the uzzle of these rifles?) of course it would be better if they put a muzzle nut or slant brake on it (and '74 brake for the 5.45 ones) So I will most likely be getting a 7.62 model... seems to fit what I want better than a WASR, and comes with black furniture.

I will also probably get a 5.45 when they make a proper '74. Hopefully they will make one with plum furniture (if not i can always get it from KVAR)

BTW is there a set price on these yet?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#3]
oh yea and do the magazines go in and out nicely (not stiff like the WASRs)?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Templar,

I think I read on another thread that the 24 mm threads are removed leaving a diameter that will work with 22 mm threads at the largest.

I'm guessing that Arsenal thought they would be ahead of the game when the AWB was renewed and 22 mm threads being legal.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Phew, looks like a winner... They got the selector marks and stops perfect (if you wanted to add in the other markings) and they didn't make the full auto position the semi position like on all those other chinese and hungarians etc..

Exactly what I thought.  And the manufacture and importer markings don't look to bee all that blatant and obnoxious.

Quoted:
I can see one trigger bump, is the other side there too? Some bulgarian guns only have the one side, but I am hoping for both sides to be in place.

Only going to be one bump, the Bulgarian is a dead ringer for a 1982 Izhmash AK-74.  So perfect with the laminates and a zigzag or two piece brake.  

One thing I notice that is of concern, looks like the spot welds on the lower rail are dreadfully done.  Take a look at the two right above the left side mag well dimple, yuck.  You would never see them done that bad on a Izhmash product.

Man, I can't wait to get mine, and to press it all apart, hehe.  Anybody ever try swapping barrels on Bulgarian 74's?  I wonder if they will headspace?  I have had four 74 kits that I was waiting to build, just waiting for the ban to end, and for receivers, looks like the wait is over.  Just wondering if I can cheat and just swap the barrels out with the ones I have been saving all these years?  Just a matter of swapping the barrels out, and the long wait would be over.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
GOT ONE FROM TEMPLAR FRI . TOOK TO THE RANGE  TODAY .VERY ACCURATE  LOW RECOIL. JUST PLAIN FUN TO SHOOT.  TRIED SOME BAKE LITE 30 RND MAGS WORKED LIKE A CHARM . YOU CANT BEAT THE PRICE FOR  SUCH A FINE  WEAPON. IF NO ONE TOLD YOU ABOUT THE MAG WELL OPENING YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW IT  .h.gif

Did the cleaning rod stay in place while firing? unlike the SAR2s, which the rod comes out.
How much was the SLR 105?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I can see one trigger bump, is the other side there too? Some bulgarian guns only have the one side, but I am hoping for both sides to be in place.

Quoted:
Only going to be one bump, the Bulgarian is a dead ringer for a 1982 Izhmash AK-74.  So perfect with the laminates and a zigzag or two piece brake.  

I just figured it is easier to flatten one side if you need to, vs. pounding in a dimple if your build calls for it...   But  looks like I will be good to go for my beater Afghan build, and late laminate builds!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What I see happening with Arsenal, Inc is that if John Kerry gets into office and by chance all of Congress goes with him, Arsenal is going out of business.  Far-fetched?  Not if the legislation which is already written gets passed.    

Geez, will people get a grip? Even if kerry wins (quite unlikely at this point) a new AWB would have to pass through the senate and the house. As we've seen, the senate morons with the RINO contingent would pass an amendment, but the bill got killed. In the house, there is such a republican majority that it would NEVER see the light of day. Not only does it have to get past Delay, it also has to leave the judiciary committee, headed by jim sensenbrenner, a big RKBA supporter.

So chill out on the conspiracy theories. It ain't gonna happen. The only think you'd have to worry about is if kerry gets elected and signs some bogus EO's. But even bubba knew not to go too far.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm even less impressed now that close-up pics are available.  Perhaps it's just an exaggeration of the lighting, but that receiver looks downright crude even in comparison to my SAR-1 - and that's setting the standards low indeed.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:54:38 PM EDT
[#11]
How much are these going to run?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:24:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm even less impressed now that close-up pics are available.  Perhaps it's just an exaggeration of the lighting, but that receiver looks downright crude even in comparison to my SAR-1 - and that's setting the standards low indeed.

Im with you on that...my SAR1 has barely visible marks, at those points where the rivets are. And with that UGLY ass FSB/muzzle...yuck. And then no sight rail on top of it all, and NATO length stocks....

I dont get what the big deal is....and all for 450+?

Im waiting on arsenal to pull it out of their said @ss and give us a product that reflects the current status of AWB style laws.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:35:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:21:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
TRUST ME, you should like those marks you have pointed out.

If you look really close, SAR-1's and 2's have the same marks. Just not as deep.

The reason you want the deep marks is that shows a very very strong bond for the rails in side and the REC.
A lot stronger than the AK's that you cant see those markings on it.

I don't think you are following along here, what is preferred is a strong spot welds that don't look they were done by a drunken Century employee.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:04:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Im waiting on arsenal to pull it out of their said @ss and give us a product that reflects the current status of AWB style laws.

What's the big deal? this is the receiver  we all have been waiting for to build replica Russian AKs onto.
Romanian SAR2s have too many little non-standard B.s. things going on with them... Anything Bulgarian is for all intents and purposes Russian style...  and unless Izhmash starts punching out sporting style 5.45 rifles that don't have the nightmare re-welding work needed to make them right (i.e. Saiga), this is as good as it's going to get for us builders.  To us the big deal is the correct receiver...not the bayolug and flash hider....that's getting put on anyways... I am sure in due time there will be plenty of uber evil AKs being sold, don't worry. We have been patcient for 10 frickin years, I don't see the big deal with Arsenal choosing to enter the market slowly and with due caution. They are working to help us get what we like and that's what counts to me.

-C
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Please be aware that AK rifles cannot be imported with a threaded muzzle, either on the barrel or as an extension of the front sight block. Also AK rifles cannot be imported with folding buttstocks. Such a rifle as this to have a bayonet lug, threaded muzzle and brake, and folding stock would have to be reworked in the U.S., and this rework is relatively costly.

Arsenal Inc. offered these AK74 versions to best compete on price. Arsenal Inc. will have versions to introduce later that have the no-ban features certain posters in this thread are asking for.

Harlan
FAC
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone know where to buy one?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone figured out if there is enough meat on the FSB to thread it in 24mm?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, I can see that what I want and what some other people want is completely different.

I want an AK that I can buy that has the standard pre-ban features.  These are now widely available from a number of companies.

I don't want an AK that I need to buy $80 in parts send off to a gunsmith for $100 in labor and shipping to put on all the standard pre-ban features.

I don't want an AK just so I can have it taken apart so I can use the reciever for a different rifle.

So, not everyone got what they want but some people have.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Excellent news!  Can't wait to see em.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No news on the AKS-74 style side folders though.

like i said, rome wasn't built in a day. i'll wait and it will have been worth the wait.

templar, you email me the MINUTE these are coming, bro. my m.o. will be in the mail!

Give me a shout too! I have money saved up for one already!

Same here.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Not for nothing, but I have been really anticipating the arsenal ak74's. I've heard pricing estimates all the way from "about a sar-1 price" to right under $400. Then they come out, and although nobody will give a definite price "about 450, scope rail slightly higher". Then, to get a correct rifle I hear "about $100 more", which means to me $550. If I was to follow the pattern, an correct slr-105 will be "about $700", if not more. Wow, what a deal. And I thought the SAM 7 (550-600) was high because it was made in America? All that being said, I will buy 1, just probably not 2 or 3.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Not for nothing, but I have been really anticipating the arsenal ak74's. I've heard pricing estimates all the way from "about a sar-1 price" to right under $400. Then they come out, and although nobody will give a definite price "about 450, scope rail slightly higher". Then, to get a correct rifle I hear "about $100 more", which means to me $550. If I was to follow the pattern, an correct slr-105 will be "about $700", if not more. Wow, what a deal. And I thought the SAM 7 (550-600) was high because it was made in America? All that being said, I will buy 1, just probably not 2 or 3.

Yeah, I mean sheesh - why is it that there were perfectly good SAR's going for $300 and less being sold a year ago, to nothing but prize rifles $500+ a year later? Is it not possible for someone to make a decent, cheap AK that has the goodies on it? I mean, the FSB with 24mm threads is $70, the brake and installing it maybe another $30, so you could easily have an AK for $400-450 WITH the goodies AND scope rail (the SAR's had scope rails for less than $300).

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Just got word today that the next batch of SLR-105's will have bayonet lugs and removable 24mm muzzle brakes.

No news on the AKS-74 style side folders though.

The new SLR-105's with all the goodies (or most of the goodies, standard stock models) will be going for about $100.00 more.

And rejoicing was heard among the masses!

So these will run close to the $500 mark if not a little more?  That sounds reasonable.  I will have a good bit more in my 74 build than that    
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#32]
My local shop wants $1000 for a new new Arsenal Inc. SLR-105 AK-74!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Arsenal Inc has 7.62 x 39 and 5.56 caliber RPK style rifles, is there chance for a 5.45 caliber RPK style rifle?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:08:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Chamberlin,
Could you list the ways the Romanians deviated from Russian pattern in their receivers. I noticed the dimples are a little more squared, but what are the other differenecs? Thanks.

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the big deal? this is the receiver  we all have been waiting for to build replica Russian AKs onto.
Romanian SAR2s have too many little non-standard B.s. things going on with them... Anything Bulgarian is for all intents and purposes Russian style...  and unless Izhmash starts punching out sporting style 5.45 rifles that don't have the nightmare re-welding work needed to make them right (i.e. Saiga), this is as good as it's going to get for us builders.  To us the big deal is the correct receiver...not the bayolug and flash hider....that's getting put on anyways... I am sure in due time there will be plenty of uber evil AKs being sold, don't worry. We have been patcient for 10 frickin years, I don't see the big deal with Arsenal choosing to enter the market slowly and with due caution. They are working to help us get what we like and that's what counts to me.

-C

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:41:25 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Chamberlin,
Could you list the ways the Romanians deviated from Russian pattern in their receivers. I noticed the dimples are a little more squared, but what are the other differenecs? Thanks.

Ha, have fun with that one Chamberlin.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Hehehehe you're funny Ekie...  Templar sorry to hijack the thread with this stuff...

The other details I don't like about the SAR 2 vs a more Russian style AK-74:
- Old rivet pattern on rear trunion (as in AKM and the earliest AK-74s).
-Have a scope rail no matter what, this is relatively uncommon on most Soviet AK-74, and removing it from the Romy receiver is an involved process.  
- yes squarish dimples (although I have been able to 'massage' out the hard corners, it is not something I enjoyed doing
-selector stop is cut down on most Romy guns to accept the 3 round burst option. Off comes the trigger gaurd to install the correct riser pad/selector stop....no fun at all. The slash cut Romy stop is a dead giveaway, otherwise I wouldn't care.
- trunion journal diameter is same as .30 cal AKM/RPK (.907-.908) whereas Soviet Russian and Bulgarian are .868 for the AK-74 series.... so much for not having to rip out the trunion to install your Bulg military style barrel assembly.
-black oxide finish, or whatever other rust promoter they put on those things....Russian and Bulg have nice epoxy finish.

Everything else about them I can live with, but I will never buy another if there is going to be Bulgarian receivers out there without all the chicken scratch markings and proper everything else.
I also spite the Romanians for being different on all their barrel dimensions too...
yea, I like Ruskie stuff too much....I know.

Quoted:
Chamberlin,

Quoted:

Quoted:

-C

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

So much so you are coming off like a snob who complains too much.  

You get any more uptight and I won't be able to tell you from a Colt Enthusiast.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#42]
tagged
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You get any more uptight and I won't be able to tell you from a Colt Enthusiast.  

Hey, he asked I told....
BTW, I prefer Kalashnisnob!

-C
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:25:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, he asked I told....
BTW, I prefer Kalashnisnob!

-C

Hahahahahahaha.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:54:55 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
The other details I don't like about the SAR 2 vs a more Russian style AK-74:
- Old rivet pattern on rear trunion (as in AKM and the earliest AK-74s).
-Have a scope rail no matter what, this is relatively uncommon on most Soviet AK-74, and removing it from the Romy receiver is an involved process.  
- yes squarish dimples (although I have been able to 'massage' out the hard corners, it is not something I enjoyed doing
-selector stop is cut down on most Romy guns to accept the 3 round burst option. Off comes the trigger gaurd to install the correct riser pad/selector stop....no fun at all. The slash cut Romy stop is a dead giveaway, otherwise I wouldn't care.
- trunion journal diameter is same as .30 cal AKM/RPK (.907-.908) whereas Soviet Russian and Bulgarian are .868 for the AK-74 series.... so much for not having to rip out the trunion to install your Bulg military style barrel assembly.
-black oxide finish, or whatever other rust promoter they put on those things....Russian and Bulg have nice epoxy finish.

Good Job.  

The Romanian receiver is a AKM receiver with a longer ejector, different mag opening and two trigger bumps on the bottom.  By the time Izhmash got around to doing two trigger bumps they had updated the selector depressions on both sides of the receivers, and had incorporated the newer rear trunion rivet pattern Chamberlin mentions.  The biggest problem with the Romanian receiver is as Chamberlin mentions, the trunion riveted to the receiver, it will not accept Izhmash/Bulgarian Arsenal/DDR AK-74 barrels.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Thank you kind sirs :)
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I will be putting a hold on my current 74 project and wait to see what happens with these.  I want a correct "no-ban" version but Arsenal is saying this is the only way they can import them.  Does anyone know if this is bs or true?  I'm guessing they are coming into the country with double stack mag wells already because of the dimples but I could be wrong.  Is this even legal?  I want one really bad but am willing to wait until after the first of the year to see if they start "mass" producing correct versions.  If they do then my new OOW receiver will be saved for a future SBR Krink.  That's the plan for now anyway.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:29:23 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
The '94 law that just sunset has nothing to do with the importation ban of '89, so yes, the bullshit about having to import with a thumbhole stock and single stack mag with no bayonet lug or threaded muzzle is true.

As has been stated several times, these rifles are coming into the country with single stack magazine wells, and they are then modified to accept standard capacity magazines.  
With the US parts......

stock set (3)
hammer
trigger
sear

it's perfectly legal.

The next batch available (30 units) will have the bayonet lug and threaded AK-74 front sight with the appropriate brake. Arsenal will probably have to add a US made gas piston to keep the parts count issue legal.

Price will be approximately $100.00 more than the first batch that did not have the bayo lug or threaded muzzle.

Actually the stock set only counts as two US parts.  The two handguards as one and the stock as one.  By adding the Bulgarian brake all they would then have to do is add a US made pistol grip to be compliant.

Also, why so few units.  Don't they know this is one of the rifles people have been waiting for?  After the first of the year is probably when I will make my purchase.  I guess my AR will have to get me through the winter.  Time to stock up on some more Wolf .223.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:47:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Greetings To all:

I am a newbie to ak's but had the good sense to preorder an slr105R. I picked it up today and I am very impressed. I do however have several questions:

1). Does the threaded end of the cleaning rod engage threads in the receiver? Mine is loose and I am afraid that it will fall out.

2). How and where does one get the correct front sight block and compensator? What is the procedure for replacement? Is it a difficult thing to do?

3). where can I get extra magazines for it? How mh
Thanks for reading

Brigadier_92
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top