User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I would love to see the pics.  If someone can send them to me, I have a website that I can host them on (www.sideguardholsters.com).

I would love to pickup two WASR-10 Model 2s (low cap) and convert them to WASR10s full cap for 150 to 200 a piece!
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I would love to see the pics.  I have my WASR 10 sitting in my lap right now with a dremel ready to rock.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey im a new member and ive had my WASR10 for a couple days now. First I want to thank Kells for posting this project up because ive been searching for conversion tips for 2 days straight. Secondly Kells, since the pics arent working could you post up a link I would really appreciate it. I got the project planned out and it seems pretty easy but pics would really help...Thanx!
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know guys. I reposted them as I wasn't able to get a hold of the OP originally and it was just a matter of fixing the link.

Since then I have switched computers. I will try to look around to see if I still have em but I don't think so. The best bet would be to see if anyone can reach the OP.

I tried IMing him again but his box is full.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I found a page that might help some. It doesnt have as many pics as Kells tho and it is not actually a low to high cap conv. But it is the same process with using the dremel. It is helpful to me because it shows the finished job.

Heres the link: http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/wasrwell.htm
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#6]
That link is to a fix for a 75 round drum for an existing high cap model.  I read that page last weekend.  Good try.
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Some WASR10 hi-caps were actually low-caps before being imported. Some of those werent milled out enought to accept all types of magazines, (waffle, poly, drum) etc. So the page is not just showing how to modify for a drum, its shows how to finish Century's job and allow your receiver to accept any 7.62 AK mag.
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe ALL Wasr rifles were imported as single stacks and hogged open in the US by Century primates.  The primary difference between the instructions for drum mags and going from SS to DS is a matter of degree.  The drum wouldn't fit because the primates didn't open the magwell up enough.  I've seen other WASRs with tight magwells that wouldn't accept anything other than the mag that came with the rifle.. They needed the same treatment.

I'm not sure what happened to the pix, but I can assure you that after having completed a doublestack conversion with nothing but a dremel, it really is as easy as tracing out the doublestack mag on the bottom of the reciever and then opening things up slowly until the DS mag drops right in.
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
I believe ALL Wasr rifles were imported as single stacks and hogged open in the US by Century primates.  The primary difference between the instructions for drum mags and going from SS to DS is a matter of degree.  The drum wouldn't fit because the primates didn't open the magwell up enough.  I've seen other WASRs with tight magwells that wouldn't accept anything other than the mag that came with the rifle.. They needed the same treatment.

I'm not sure what happened to the pix, but I can assure you that after having completed a doublestack conversion with nothing but a dremel, it really is as easy as tracing out the doublestack mag on the bottom of the reciever and then opening things up slowly until the DS mag drops right in.

Yea it was really a relief when I found out that was all thats to it. Me being a newb and only having my WASR10 Low cap for a few days, I was thinking that i would have to take it to a gunsmith or change receivers. I plan on getting a dremel this weekend, and maybe pic up some JB Weld just incase the mag feels loose and mold a support on each side of the inner magwell.
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#10]
120 rounds down her and I love it.  The trimming took me less than an hour.  The is less mag wobble then when it was a single stacker!  Take your time and go slow, it is very hard to mess up.  I finished off the edges with a little sand paper and it looks good other than the lack of finish.  That will have to wait till I overhaul her after deer season!
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Fixed the pics once again,  seems Hunt101 changes stuff every now and then and older links stop working..

Enjoy
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanx now I understand what you were saying about the mag supports Kell. "they fit but dont fit".
Link Posted: 1/11/2008 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Just milled out my receiver and I used a poly clear smoke mag. It took maybe 2hrs. The mag fits great but it will not feed. The action gets jammed while slidding forward. It has to be forced forward to close. After firing one round it sticks back and has to be forced forward allover again or wont close at all. I dont know what to do.
Link Posted: 1/11/2008 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Is the bolt hanging up on the tail end of the mag?  Do you have any standard steel mags you can try?
Link Posted: 1/11/2008 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Im going to send these polys back to copes and exchange them for regular romanian steel mags. I didnt think that it would be much difference between the polys and regular mags. But I hope steel mags solve the problem. I know theres going to be alot of extra space in the well also. To anyone out there considering doing the conversion dont use poly mags cuz I did and im not happy...
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Been lurking and reading for a while.  Started the slant break and mag opening today.  Dremeled through the weld in the nut and installed a slant break on my 10/63.  This gave me the courage to start on the double stack conversion.

I'm at the "it fits but doesn't fit part" and the battery in the dremel died, so I'm in panic mode praying I did the right thing.  Those interior supports look like a pain.  Just lookin' for a pep talk from those who have been there done that.

Thanks for all the info so far.

<edited to add>

Yup I made it.  Woke up and finished it off.  What a great fit you can get with your own tools.  It took a while and was stressful, but there is zero wobble.  Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:47:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Did anyone save the pics from the first post?  I need them to teach my armorers how to do this whole process.  

The Agency that I work for has about 10 of these that TxGunworks did full auto conversions on and did not do a great job with opening up the magwell.  Im in the process of fine tuning these so that they will work with all AK mags.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Seconded. Does anyone have all of the original pics?
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Seconded. Does anyone have all of the original pics?

Those are the original pics,   I have them saved on a disk cause seems about every 3 months they disapear.  

I can E-mail them to anyone that needs them just shoot me a mail through the site.
Link Posted: 2/24/2008 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like the pics are now working on Page 1.

Can people confirm? Otherwise I can post them from Kells81 because he sent them to me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2008 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#21]
They are there,   just all of them have red X's above them,  that is where they used to be posted and I was too lazy to edit that out when reposting them again.

If you dont have them refresh your page or something.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Pics not working again.
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#23]

another successful S/S wasr-2 conversion. With replacement wood refinished by me

the pic doesn't do the wood any justice at all
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#24]
thanx kells every thing worked great. how
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I have another way to go about this task of converting a WASR.  If anyone wants pics, let me know, I'll do another one and photo it along the process and post pics here.  I use a chainsaw sharpening stone to cut the corners/radius first and then make the straight cuts.  I use my SAR to get measurements from as I go.  This process is super easy and comes out looking perfect if you use a steady hand!  I can post the measurements also.  AKATTACK
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 1:12:12 AM EDT
[#26]
is there any way to convert SA2000M?
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, I have decided to take the plunge, and am going to try this tommorrow when I get off work on a WASR 10... If anyone would like, I will take some supplemental pictures of my project to compliment the original ones kells81 posted.

Wish me luck!  
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, I did it, and it was a success!
I stuck all of my pictures and a run through on my procedure here on my site, I followed kells81's instructions pretty much to the letter:

www.guncentral.net/Articles/LoCap-HiCap.html

Once I got that first cut done, and realized how simple it was, it was easy! The hi-cap mags fit better in my converted WASR than the my other one that Century did!

Link Posted: 12/2/2008 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Buddy just converted him. His dad owns a machine shop and did it on a mill. It looks beautiful. Trying to get his dad to do mine but he doesn't want too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a machinist mill mine. Looks awesome. All he wanted in return was a 30$ tasco scope.
Link Posted: 2/8/2009 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for this thread....
I could not find any low cap mags for my single stack WASR 3.
A meneber here hooked me up with some .223 30 Rounders.
As sonn as they arive I am going to open mine up.
I will post some pic's as well.

As far as for the durable finish that will not rust, try what is called Por 15.
I use that stuff on Muscle Cars and it dries glossy and is hard and durable.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#32]
OK guys, I got my stuff this morning and when I was setting up to mill the receiver for the hi-cap magazines I ran into a problem.  If I cut the front out where the new stack mag will fit, then I’m going to have to machine the inside of the rivets off plus take more metal with them to make it wide enough for the front of the magazine to fit in???  Doesn’t seem like this is going to work??

The front of the magazine measures .843 wide where it hooks into the receiver.  The rivets are only .703 apart in that same area so I’d have to take .070 off the rivets on each side and some off the metal they fasten to also to make this magazine work??  

Yup, was almost what you would call an "Oh SHIT" moment!  Just a good thing I didn't cut it before I measured it all out, hey!

So is this rifle one that can’t be modified to take these hi-cap magazines or what??

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OK guys, I got my stuff this morning and when I was setting up to mill the receiver for the hi-cap magazines I ran into a problem.  If I cut the front out where the new stack mag will fit, then I’m going to have to machine the inside of the rivets off plus take more metal with them to make it wide enough for the front of the magazine to fit in???  Doesn’t seem like this is going to work??

The front of the magazine measures .843 wide where it hooks into the receiver.  The rivets are only .703 apart in that same area so I’d have to take .070 off the rivets on each side and some off the metal they fasten to also to make this magazine work??  

Yup, was almost what you would call an "Oh SHIT" moment!  Just a good thing I didn't cut it before I measured it all out, hey!

So is this rifle one that can’t be modified to take these hi-cap magazines or what??

Thanks

I have the exact same question.  A friend has asked me to mod his 2002 WASR 10 to accept double stack mags.  I measured the trunion or what ever its called (throat of the receiver between rivets) on his WASR and got .700". This same area on my Mac 90 measures .940".  The mag I'm using for layout measures at .843".  This is about .143" (+/- .005) difference....or just over 1/8 inch.    

I'm afraid I'll grind the heads off the receiver rivets, so I'm on hold until someone responds, as I dont want to f up his nice rifle.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2009 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Hey guys, have no fear, it's ok to mill off the rivits.  The first WASR10s that were imported, after they stopped importing the SAR1s, had the narrow trunions in them.  Century would them put them in the mill and mill the receiver and trunion wider.  This removed part of the rivits too.  This is not a problem because when the rivits are formed, they expand in "circumference" so this will keep them from coming out. Later, the Romanians made it easier for Century by using the "wider" trunions so all that needed to be done is milling out the receiver.  Make sense?  

Hope this helps!

ARKAR
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 5:58:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Here's some pics of my WASR-2

Before:

After:

Link Posted: 10/7/2009 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#36]
The local Dunhams Sports has WASR 10's listed as "High Capacity."
They allready accept the standard AK mag. They are listed at $479.
I've been thinking about picking one up. Seems like a good starting point for a cheap modding platform.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#37]
I got a Wasr-10 on gunbroker a while back, and discovered that not all mags fit. I looked at the mag well, and lo and behold, it wasn't drilled out all the way. Using the directions and pics in this thread, I used my son's Dremel tool and a grinder wheel attachment to grind out the last bits- now all mags fit great!

Link Posted: 11/25/2009 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#38]
same here. got it at a gun show in Phoenix.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Bumping this before it drops to the archive.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top