Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 4:37:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ammonia removes salt. It's all we used in our naval reactors to remove any chlorides that make it past the distilling and purification plants. If a couple of bottles scavenges the salt out of thousands of gallons water a simple 50/50 solution will work in any rifle. If you're really antsy you can just pour it all over the rifle when you get outside, but in all actuality the salt wont attract too much moisture in a 2 hour period, especially if you put travel with it in a pelican case or a case with some desiccant inside.
Details are important here.

For example, an a household cleaning solution with ammonia normally contain 5% to 10% ammonia, and a 5% solution would be aong the lines of what you find in Sweets 7.62.bore cleaner.  Cutting a 5% solution 50/50 with water would probably compromise it's effectiveness (and the water would be what was doing the work, so then why bother).  On the other hand, using a straight 10% solution is probably a bit harsh and you would want to be sure you removed it from the bore during the rest of your leaning process.

Commercial ammonia solutions are a different breed of cat.  They contain 25%-30% ammonia and are corrosive enough that they are used in various metal etchng processes.  Using them at all would not be ideal for cleaning a gun bore and even cut 50/50 with water, it could cause issues if left in the bore.

Using Sweets 7.62 (containing 5% ammonia) as a point of reference, the manufacturer does not recommend leaving it in the bore any longer than neccesary to remove copper fouling.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 5:13:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
ballistol/water 50/50 mix.

This or MPro-7.  They work.  Balistol is kinda stinky if you have a bitchy woman around.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone heard of firing off a few rounds of NON-corrosive ammo AFTER firing off corrosive ammo as a method of avoiding corrosion?  Saw this off a different board and the guy swore by it.  Said something along the lines of firing off 5 rounds or so of non-corrosive ammo after shooting corrosive to blow out the salt residue.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 6:33:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ammonia removes salt. It's all we used in our naval reactors to remove any chlorides that make it past the distilling and purification plants. If a couple of bottles scavenges the salt out of thousands of gallons water a simple 50/50 solution will work in any rifle. If you're really antsy you can just pour it all over the rifle when you get outside, but in all actuality the salt wont attract too much moisture in a 2 hour period, especially if you put travel with it in a pelican case or a case with some desiccant inside.
Details are important here.

For example, an a household cleaning solution with ammonia normally contain 5% to 10% ammonia, and a 5% solution would be aong the lines of what you find in Sweets 7.62.bore cleaner.  Cutting a 5% solution 50/50 with water would probably compromise it's effectiveness (and the water would be what was doing the work, so then why bother).  On the other hand, using a straight 10% solution is probably a bit harsh and you would want to be sure you removed it from the bore during the rest of your leaning process.

Commercial ammonia solutions are a different breed of cat.  They contain 25%-30% ammonia and are corrosive enough that they are used in various metal etchng processes.  Using them at all would not be ideal for cleaning a gun bore and even cut 50/50 with water, it could cause issues if left in the bore.

Using Sweets 7.62 (containing 5% ammonia) as a point of reference, the manufacturer does not recommend leaving it in the bore any longer than neccesary to remove copper fouling.

Sorry, I'm used to our stuff, we manage to get the industrial grade bottles, probably even higher than 25 or 30 percent, and it is heavily diluted as it's charged into the system.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Keep a bottle of windex in your range bag and spray it down.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
WWII era U.S. RBC. It's the smelliest, nastiest solvent created, but does wonders on corrosive anything.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 2:26:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
WWII era U.S. RBC. It's the smelliest, nastiest solvent created, but does wonders on corrosive anything.

I have a couple cans of this smelly stuff,but it sure works good.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 4:51:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anyone heard of firing off a few rounds of NON-corrosive ammo AFTER firing off corrosive ammo as a method of avoiding corrosion?  Saw this off a different board and the guy swore by it.  Said something along the lines of firing off 5 rounds or so of non-corrosive ammo after shooting corrosive to blow out the salt residue.

So lets assume it blew the salts out of the barrel.  Where did it blow them to?  Some have to have gone into the gas system, some into the bolt.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Hoppe's #9 and Break Free CLP.

Yep, that's all there is to it. I went shooting last week in the pouring rain. The road to the range was in awful shape due to flooding, melting snow, etc. So we walked in. It's about a mile and a half. My SGL-31 got soaked going in, and continued to get soaked as I shot 240 rounds of 7N6 through it. After I was done shooting, I took it under the roof at the range and cleaned it. All I used was Hoppe's #9 for the bore/muzzle and Break Free CLP for everything else. It got soaked again during the walk back to my car. Left it in the car soaking wet for a few hours while we went out to eat, took it home, and put it in my closet. Took it out the next morning and there was no rust. There still isn't any rust, and this took place on Thursday. Everything is shiny and clean.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top