Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Posted by Instante

__________________________________________________________________________________
Most likely will be in a form of natural disater / terrorist strike. Both which are pretty limited to a specific area (couple of states at most) and a short amount of time (1 week to a couple months) The aforementioned but not limited to just that would cause a short term "local" chaos due to confusion, lack of communication., utilities being down and local law dawgs being limited to non existant. My shtf won't be shooting terrorist or invaders from other countries. My shtf would be criminals living amongst us right now that would try to exploit the situation or take advantage of the situation for their own greed or satisfaction. My "shtf" would be keeping my loved ones and friends/neighbors safe from looters, rapers, murderers etc. for the short time until the local, state, or federal gov would step in to help. (which they will....)
__________________________________________________________________________________

Well put.  Was along the lines that I have always evisioned.  As much fun as it is to talk about weapons, ammo, bla bla bla, the more mundane type things(water, extra food, generator, lots of toilet paper) are probably just as if not more important.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
SHTF for me:  (just my 2 cents, and my interpertation of shtf)

Most likely will be in a form of natural disater / terrorist strike.  Both which are pretty limited to a specific area (couple of states at most) and a short amount of time (1 week to a couple months)  The aforementioned but not limited to just that would cause a short term "local" chaos due to confusion, lack of communication., utilities being down and local law dawgs being limited to non existant.  My shtf won't be shooting terrorist or invaders from other countries.  My shtf would be criminals living amongst us right now that would try to exploit the situation or take advantage of the situation for their own greed or satisfaction.  My "shtf" would be keeping my loved ones and friends/neighbors safe from looters, rapers, murderers etc. for the short time until the local, state, or federal gov would step in to help.  (which they will....)

I stock pile some mre's, some canned goods, about 20 cases of bottled water, and I currently have 5 first aid kits.  I just recently installed a generator for my residence also.

As far as firearms go,  I have a few...more than enough to hold my own from the said perps.  I am not at all prepared for 36 hour firefights with paratroopers from china or whatever but thats not my "shtf."  I don't knock anyone who prepares for their "shtf" in their own way.  It's all a matter of perspective....Better safe than sorry!

I live about 5 mile from three mile island (a nuclear power plant) and if that was targeted...I wouldnt have enough time to react.  But that would really be Shit hitting the Fan!!!

Good luck!

eta: spelling corrections...I know there are more..

Ah your no fun, go watch Red Dawn, break out the Hoppes #9 and relax after a day at the range, ...envisioning 36hr firefights vs Chinese paratroops is far more fun
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Think of what you might need for a hurried, unexpected camping trip:

1.  MREs
2.  Water
3.  First Aid kit
4.  Flashlights
5.  Firearms and ammo
6.  Various forms of outerwear

Etc., etc....after getting left without power last November, I will never be without a handful of MREs just in case the unexpected happens.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Think of what you might need for a hurried, unexpected camping trip:

1.  MREs
2.  Water
3.  First Aid kit
4.  Flashlights
5.  Firearms and ammo
6.  Various forms of outerwear

Etc., etc....after getting left without power last November, I will never be without a handful of MREs just in case the unexpected happens.

MREs is something I could really use.....  see those crank LED flashlights?  near stuff, crank radios same deal
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Do any of you have any ideas about other good SHTF/EOTWAWKI preperation ideas?

Guns and ammo are a given but the one thing I don't recall seeing mentioned here is "Quickclot" or the like and "MedKits". Eventually someone is going to take a hit and someone is going to have to play doctor ...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Do any of you have any ideas about other good SHTF/EOTWAWKI preperation ideas?

Guns and ammo are a given but the one thing I don't recall seeing mentioned here is "Quickclot" or the like and "MedKits". Eventually someone is going to take a hit and someone is going to have to play doctor ...

prepare for the worst I guess.....  id rather not think about the whole return fire, getting shot part.... lets just focus on the positive, glorified part
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top