Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/25/2018 9:24:53 PM EDT
I was lucky enough to be at a yard sale and saw an SKS for sale.  The owner let me have it for $95.  It's a Norinco, but that's all I know about it.  This is my first SKS, I don't really know much about it, the numbers seem to match, but the stock isn't original.  I think it was bubba'd in the past, as the side of the receiver looks like it was drilled and tapped for a scope mount, and the cross bolt looks like it's been bubba'd.  Hoping someone can tell me what I have.

Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#1]
you have a hell of a steal, even bubba'd

It doesnt appear to have an import mark.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I thinks it's safe to say you did well
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Drilled for a scope mount.

It appears that the lug in the stock has been moved in order to fit that rifle. Some There are two different ways that SKS barrels are mounted and two different stocks based upon that variance.

You did very well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you have a hell of a steal, even bubba'd
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Drilled for a scope mount.

It appears that the lug in the stock has been moved in order to fit that rifle. Some There are two different ways that SKS barrels are mounted and two different stocks based upon that variance.

You did very well.
View Quote
Thanks!

So I've been reading, and there are pinned, and threaded barrels.  I'm thinking this is a threaded barrel.  Does that look to be correct?

If this stock was adjusted to fit this rifle, would that mean this is a "pinned" stock?
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks!

So I've been reading, and there are pinned, and threaded barrels.  I'm thinking this is a threaded barrel.  Does that look to be correct?

If this stock was adjusted to fit this rifle, would that mean this is a "pinned" stock?
View Quote
I honestly can't remember which is which, but I have some suspicions about the origin of your rifle. It’s Chinese, but I don’t think it’s a Norinco.

Can you take a pic of the retainer for the stock, where the bayonet folds into?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I honestly can't remember which is which, but I have some suspicions about the origin of your rifle. It’s Chinese, but I don’t think it’s a Norinco.

Can you take a pic of the retainer for the stock, where the bayonet folds into?
View Quote
@Sputnik556
Here is the picture you requested, also, I included a picture of the import mark.  Do you think it's a Polytech mis-marked by the importer?

And the import mark:
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 8:11:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Threaded barrel, neutered bayonet lug, drilled for a scope mount. Great find OP   shoot the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@Sputnik556
Here is the picture you requested, also, I included a picture of the import mark.  Do you think it's a Polytech mis-marked by the importer?
https://i.imgur.com/r2iXrUX.jpg
And the import mark:
https://i.imgur.com/NaUOzDj.jpg
View Quote
Guess it is a Norinco, I’m far from an expert on the matter.

Most of my knowledge comes from restoring my Sino-Soviet SKS.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one with the same stock.
I got it directly from the distributor when I had my FFL.

Yes some garfs, and the holes in the receiver. but a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I have no idea how much it's worth, but I wouldn't have paid much more than what you paid. I don't like SKSs that have their bayonet lug cut off. Holes drilled in the receiver is pretty screwed up. If you shoot it and it functions then you got a bargain on a functional weapon you can use for hunting or whatever.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have no idea how much it's worth, but I wouldn't have paid much more than what you paid. I don't like SKSs that have their bayonet lug cut off. Holes drilled in the receiver is pretty screwed up. If you shoot it and it functions then you got a bargain on a functional weapon you can use for hunting or whatever.
View Quote
Matching number SKS's are over $400 now. I would have paid $200 for that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:33:25 PM EDT
[#13]
The FSB and bayo lug unit can be replaced, though it's not all that easy to get the old one off.
The holes in the receiver almost look like factory.  Are these threaded?  If you wanted to relieve
the stock you could bolt a side mount to the receiver and have a really solid rig.  All in all, you did
quite well.  I have a Choate bolt on side mount.  If you can measure center to center on the holes
in the side of the receiver I can check my Choate mount to see if was made for one of those.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#14]
That is a great deal. Perfect truck gun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#15]
SKS for $95 bucks is a deal.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
SKS for $95 bucks is a deal.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I wonder if the original stock was relieved to clear the former scope mount, and replaced when the owner took off the mount?
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the replies.  Yes, the holes in the receiver are threaded.  I actually have the mount and screws for them (it requires a different top cover as well, which I have).  Honestly, it came with a Chinese 4x Scope mounted on it, which I took off and is sitting in my safe.  Years ago I wanted an SKS for my first rifle, but ended up buying an unissued Russian M44 for $75 instead.  Saw this and couldn't resist.  Would like another SKS but need to make room in the safe first.  Guy I bought it from was moving and it was the end of the day so he wanted to be done with his yard sale, so I got a deal.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Post a pic of the scope and mount.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:37:37 AM EDT
[#20]
@FightingHellfish

Below are the pictures of the scope and mount.  I'm starting to wonder if this rifle originally has a "West Coast Rail" on it and had it removed to install this scope set up.  The screws on the mount do not line up with the holes on the receiver.

Link Posted: 10/1/2018 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I remember that scope and mount combo being a big seller at places like J&GSales.  Are the bolts even supposed to go into threaded holes are do they just put tension on the receiver to lock up the wiggle in the receiver cover?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#22]
@FightingHellfish

The do not go in the holes, they just apply pressure to the receiver to eliminate wiggle.  Do you think the scope and mount came with the rifle?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Do you think the scope and mount came with the rifle?
View Quote
I do not.

Those parts are common on Ebay.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I’ve never seen it, but I know there were SKS rifles that were modified to accept a Russian style side scope mount rail.  I think to make that work, some wood had to be trimmed off the stock.  Maybe the holes on your receiver allowed for that type of mount.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe so.  Might explain the non matching stock.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#26]
looks like it had a Choate Scope mount
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
looks like it had a Choate Scope mount
View Quote
It sure did!
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top