Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 9:03:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FighterFixer1] [#1]
According to the box, Norma TAC should be 1083 FPS.  Thats pretty comparable to the 1050 advertised on my CCI SV boxes.  I've never run either over the chrono, but neither give me a sonic crack when shooting suppressed through pistol or rifle.

Both shoot very well in all of my guns with a very slight edge in accuracy going to TAC.  I shoot both, but I prefer the TAC due to the oil vs the wax. It's easier to clean up and doesn't gum up my magazines or feed ramps as bad.

Not saying that you're wrong--one of the first things I discovered about rimfire shooting is that .22LR is a fickle mistress!

Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#2]
You beat me to it with the speeds.

The Norma feels very waxy.  The CCI feels dry to me.

I will mark the magazines.

Thanks for all the input.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 1:56:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is what I would consider a good scope for Appleseed
Burris 3-9 with side focus

It can focus down to 10 yards and is not crazy expensive.
I used a similar 2-7 to get my Rifleman on the first try :).  Unfortunately Bushnell discontinued the 2-7.

For Appleseed I believe making sure your equipment is solid and reliable is even more important than the accuracy of the particular gun.  I had a buddy that kept having malfunctions with his nice 10/22. There is no way you are going to come close to qualifying if you’re clearing multiple FTFs or FTEs.  I had my Remington 597 set up well and it was functioned perfectly for the two days.

As others have said, practice the positions.  Your sling is extremely important in Appleseed so practice with it.  I also put a kydex cheek riser on my rifle that really helped with my natural point of aim.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.

We are thinking about shooting a match in April.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 1:43:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By speedball:  It can focus down to 10 yards and is not crazy expensive.
View Quote

This close focusing ability really is important for a rimfire scope.  I'd say it is what discriminates between scopes primarily intended for centerfire rifles and those suitable for rimfire.  

When I was buying my rimfire scope, this close focusing requirement eliminated most scopes from consideration.  There were still a large number to chose from but it "thinned the herd" to a manageable number.

I would advise the OP to buy the best scope you can.  In the world of optics, visual quality and mechanical quality come at a price.  Rarely, if ever, do you get more than you pay for.  

The trick is understanding what you need and finding just that.

Another trick is, in good rings on good bases that are properly installed, it is easy to share one scope across several rifles.  Given that, it is easy to remove and replace a scope and be within 1 MOA (or even dead on).   That re-use takes some of the sting out of the higher prices of good scopes.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#6]
@raffi383

My 1st car was a 68

any updates...?

The wife and I are signing up for an Appleseed in June tonight, we have several friends who have expressed interest so we will reach out to them over the weekend

Link Posted: 2/10/2023 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SmilinEd:
@raffi383

My 1st car was a 68

any updates...?

The wife and I are signing up for an Appleseed in June tonight, we have several friends who have expressed interest so we will reach out to them over the weekend

View Quote

Cool.  My first was a '73 but always liked the 2nd gen better.  Sold the '68 in 2018.

No updates yet.  Planning to shoot the match in April.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 11:43:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SmilinEd] [#8]
Originally Posted By raffi383:

Cool.  My first was a '73 but always liked the 2nd gen better.  Sold the '68 in 2018.

No updates yet.  Planning to shoot the match in April.
View Quote

we signed up today for a N/E Ohio event June 3rd 4th

I will keep you updated, going to start practice sunday after church, treadmill monday, I will mix in some other cardio stuff throughout the week, appleseed website has targets and we will purchase some S/K sv+ for testing

excited to say the least...

edit : hopefully you got ur price on the 68...
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:01:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Omega-1] [#9]
Just shot my first Appleseed/Winterseed this past weekend, February 4th and 5th. Used a Ruger 10/22 LVT.

I bought a one piece scope mount for it and it was a fail for this, I wasn't able to get a good eye relief with it in prone. Saturday night I reinstalled the original scope base and bought and installed high rings and remounted my scope farther forward.

It still was an issue on Sunday, I needed to move the scope father forward, but was at max position.

I still managed to get my patch, but I kept having to shift my head position rearward in order to sight through the scope properly, in the prone position only. I would highly recommend an extended scope base as sold with the scopes on the Appleseed site. I bought my base from Outerimpact so I'll be ready for my next event.

I stopped today by one of my LGS and found that they carried the EGW extended base, but it wouldn't have helped me last weekend because we left the range too late on Saturday.

Here are some pictures comparing the bases.

This is how it looks now.

This base shows how close the magnification ring was to the back of the base.

This one shows that I had the turret base right up against the front mounted ring and it was still too far back. At least now I have some wiggle room to push the optic forward if needed.

Another piece of advice, on Saturday I tried using 15 round magazines for the magazine change so I wouldn't get confused, but they didn't want to work for me, and I got the 10 rounders mixed up a couple of times. So that night I went out and bought a clear 10 rounder. I loaded my 2 shots into it and the other 8 in a black one, you could go the other way, but it kept me straight on which one was which.

Before the shoot I also added the extended magazine release from KIDD and their auto bolt release. It was nice just pulling back the bolt and releasing it.

And this was my prize by midday on Sunday.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the tips/info.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#11]
An easy way to improve the accuracy of your 10/22 is to bed the receiver to the stock. A lot of the flyers you get from the receiver moving in the stock channel. There’s different ways of doing this, from simple to elaborate, but the simplest easiest methods seem to give good results.

Simplest method: use tape… masking tape, Gorilla tape, aluminum tape… whatever takes up the gap around the rear of the receiver and eliminates the side to side movement. You just need to be concerned with the rear of the receiver to a point host forward of the buffer pin.

Fairly simple method that works really well… use JB Weld putty as a bedding compound in the same area are the rear of the receiver. Use just enough putty to fill the gaps and squeeze out when the action is installed in the stock. Torque you action screw and clean up any excess. Allow to harden, but before fully cured, clean out and areas where epoxy may have squeezed into any unwanted areas under the receiver.

Next step would be adding a rear log, which gets a little more complicated, but not terribly difficult.

Getting any more elaborate than that trying to bed a 10/22 reaches diminishing returns quickly.

Be sure to check the barrel for sloppiness… check the v-block retaining screws, re-torque as necessary.

This won’t turn a poorly made gun into a tack driver, but in my experience is minimizes flyer and gives pretty consistent sub 4-MOA groups with CCI SV.

In fact, my three 10/22s with bedded rear lugs all shot 1.5-2 MOA with stock barrels and CCI-SV very consistently
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MJ11B4P:
An easy way to improve the accuracy of your 10/22 is to bed the receiver to the stock. A lot of the flyers you get from the receiver moving in the stock channel. There’s different ways of doing this, from simple to elaborate, but the simplest easiest methods seem to give good results.

Simplest method: use tape… masking tape, Gorilla tape, aluminum tape… whatever takes up the gap around the rear of the receiver and eliminates the side to side movement. You just need to be concerned with the rear of the receiver to a point host forward of the buffer pin.

Fairly simple method that works really well… use JB Weld putty as a bedding compound in the same area are the rear of the receiver. Use just enough putty to fill the gaps and squeeze out when the action is installed in the stock. Torque you action screw and clean up any excess. Allow to harden, but before fully cured, clean out and areas where epoxy may have squeezed into any unwanted areas under the receiver.

Next step would be adding a rear log, which gets a little more complicated, but not terribly difficult.

Getting any more elaborate than that trying to bed a 10/22 reaches diminishing returns quickly.

Be sure to check the barrel for sloppiness… check the v-block retaining screws, re-torque as necessary.

This won’t turn a poorly made gun into a tack driver, but in my experience is minimizes flyer and gives pretty consistent sub 4-MOA groups with CCI SV.

In fact, my three 10/22s with bedded rear lugs all shot 1.5-2 MOA with stock barrels and CCI-SV very consistently
View Quote

I need to learn about this so I googled and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRZVqsavbfg

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Signed up for a match on April 22-23.

Now just hoping the weather is nice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 10:45:32 PM EDT
[#14]
You are in a place where it snows, and I hate snow.  But rain and Appleseed is like peanut butter and jelly.  I've had my best scores when I'm soaked and miserable.   It's GREAT!  But snow is awful and I wouldn't want to suffer through that for five minutes.  

You're going to have a fun time at Appleseed.   Keep a teachable mindset and have fun!
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 57plymouth:
You are in a place where it snows, and I hate snow.  But rain and Appleseed is like peanut butter and jelly.  I've had my best scores when I'm soaked and miserable.   It's GREAT!  But snow is awful and I wouldn't want to suffer through that for five minutes.  

You're going to have a fun time at Appleseed.   Keep a teachable mindset and have fun!
View Quote

I've shot in the rain at Camp Perry.  It wasn't fun.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Keep the scope at the 3x setting and it should be fine.

You'll be a bit handicapped with the bolt gun during the stages with timed shooting.
View Quote

This…

My cz455 was AFTER i got a 225. The cz made it HARD to do stages 2-3.   A  10-22 with good stock and scope is more than capable of getting a 210.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Shot the first day of Appleseed today.  Rained off and on.  Luckily we didn't shoot during the rain.

AM target is on the left and PM target is on the right.

We shot one target for score near the end of the day.  I screwed it up.  Shot the prone rapid target during sitting.  Wonderful.

Eye relief has been an issue.  They put some water pipe insulation on the top and rear of the stock.  That helped.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

Another practice target.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Thanks, guys, for all the advice that resulted in the above.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 7:39:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Great job!  Now to chase the Distinguished rocker...
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks guys.  All of your advice and suggestions made my score possible.

I will likely get an auto bolt release.  I really hate the stock one.

Will also likely get an extended rail to move the scope forward.

My boss shot a 207 using a borrowed rifle.  He had scope issues.  He's ready to go back to get his rifleman patch.  I just may have to go and try for distinguished.

That one miss in prone really makes a big difference in score.

Any of you guys shoot a match with a .223 AR?  With iron sights?  I may have to print off some targets and try mine out at the range. I'm not even sure I would be able to see the small targets with the small rear aperture I have.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#23]
I tried to shoot with irons and an AR at my last Appleseed.  I had all sorts of vision issues (and a bent front sight post which was the least of my problems) and my best score was maybe around 160.  

Practice at home and see if you can clearly see the sights and the target for the prone position.  I think I had 4 hits on that row in my best attempt.  If your eyesight is good then give it a try.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 1:03:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#24]
Indoor lighting tends to be really dim compared to outdoors, even on an overcast day.  

Indoors, your pupils dilate and that can make focusing on the front sight more difficult than it will be outdoors.

If you train indoors, be sure to have bright lighting, especially on the front sight and targets.

On those rare occasions when I dry fire, I go in the back yard to get more realistic conditions.  You don't get recoil effects but it is as good as it gets.

Take your gear and practice getting set up.  

Shoot a match (dry fire using inert/dummy round).

I want an electronic trainer so I can get my dry fire "scores" (but do not have one).
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#25]
More comments...

1. In an earlier post, I mentioned a fuzzy spot I was seeing in the middle of the sight picture/scope view.  I then noticed that I had the fuzzy spot just looking around.  Noticed it mostly when I was reading.  I did go to the eye doctor at the end of December.  Story is that there are layers in your eye and they separate.  Mine hadn't completely separated at the center which caused pulling on something and causing the blurry spot.  That's my non-technical explanation of it.  It fixed itself within a couple of weeks.  I went back for a re-check the end of March and everything was fine.  The layers have separated.  Glad it was a "normal" thing and not something bad.  I was a little worried when the problem started.

2. I've shot the AR with iron sights in service rifle matches/leagues since 2004.  I do fine at 100 and 200 yards.  I need to check to see if I can see the small Appleseed targets at 25 yards.  My rear peep is pretty small.  I did shoot a pop-up match at Camp Perry a couple of times around Thanksgiving.  At one of the events, I could see the 300 meter pop-up until I looked through the rear sight and the pop-up totally disappeared so I know the amount of light makes a huge difference.  I will try it at the range before deciding if I want to use it at an Appleseed event.

3.  I took two 15 round magazines with me this weekend.  I ended up only using them once.  My support hand ends up under the magazine well which works fine with the 10 round magazine.  Not so well with the 15 round.  I'll have to see if I can move my hand forward.  I keep it rearward to get the rifle higher which helps line the scope up with my eye.

4.  Since my post yesterday, I did order an extended rail and auto release for the bolt from Kidd.  We'll see how the eye relief is with the new rail before I decide to buy a new stock.

I think that covers everything.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 3:49:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#26]
I offer a modest suggestion regarding use of 2-7x and 3-9x Leupold Vari-X and VX series scopes for rimfire competition:

These scopes are typically fixed parallax set for centerfire ranges - 100 or 150 yards.  This will cause out of focus image or misses at close range if your eye is not perfectly centered in the eyepiece.

HOWEVER, the fixed parallex is actually adjustable.  The only difference on these scopes between the centerfire scopes and the rimfire version is that factory parallax setting.  It is user adjustable if you know how.

The outer front ring of the objective (big end) screws off!  It is just a cover.  It does not break the seal to the lens.  Inside is a slotted ring that can be turned in or out.  This moves the entire objective lens assembly just like scopes with an adjustable objective.

You turn that slotted ring until you get a crystal- clear image at 25 yards or 50 yards, depending on what distance you want to set your parallax.  You also should be able to move your eye off center and have the ctoss-hairs remain zeroed.

You now have a Leupold rimfire scope just like set at the factory.  Simply reinstall the outer ring.

Here's how it looks with the outer ring removed and the slotted ring exposed.

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By MS556:
I offer a modest suggestion regarding use of 2-7x and 3-9x Leupold Vari-X and VX series scopes for rimfire competition:

These scopes are typically fixed parallax set for centerfire ranges - 100 or 150 yards.  This will cause out of focus image or misses at close range if your eye is not perfectly centered in the eyepiece.

HOWEVER, the fixed parallex is actually adjustable.  The only difference on these scopes between the centerfire scopes and the rimfire version is that factory parallax setting.  It is user adjustable if you know how.

The outer front ring of the objective (big end) screws off!  It is just a cover.  It does not break the seal to the lens.  Inside is a slotted ring that can be turned in or out.  This moves the entire objective lens assembly just like scopes with an adjustable objective.

You turn that slotted ring until you get a crystal- clear image at 25 yards or 50 yards, depending on what distance you want to set your parallax.  You also should be able to move your eye off center and have the ctoss-hairs remain zeroed.

You now have a Leupold rimfire scope just like set at the factory.  Simply reinstall the outer ring.

Here's how it looks with the outer ring removed and the slotted ring exposed.

https://i.postimg.cc/Y9vmYvNR/IMG-1531.jpg

View Quote

Cool.  Thanks for the info.  I'll have to try that out.

Today being my 60th birthday, I ordered a Boyd At-One stock and a Green Mountain target barrel.

Can't wait to see how all this works out.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Happy Birthday.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By -Omega-1:
Happy Birthday.
View Quote

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Parts are all here.  Time to install them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, I screwed up and ordered a stock for a 10/22 Competition model.  That was returned and the correct one arrived today.

Before Appleseed:
Attachment Attached File

During Appleseed:
Attachment Attached File

After Appleseed:
Attachment Attached File

The parallax has been adjusted so it is pretty good at 30 yards or so.  Thanks for telling me how to do it.  The strap wrench sure made it easy.

Now I need to shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Shot it today.  Good news and bad news.

Bad news is that I am at the upper limit for scope elevation at 25 yards.

Good news...
Each pic shows two targets.  The top target is the original rifle.  The bottom is the revised version.  Different ammo for each of these targets. 10 shot groups.

First target is Federal ammo:
Attachment Attached File

Next is Remington Thunderbolt:
Attachment Attached File

Next is Winchester Super X.  Rifle didn't really like this one.
Attachment Attached File

Next Norma Tac 22:
Attachment Attached File

Finally, CCI standard velocity:
Attachment Attached File

CCI shot the best with the stock rifle. The Norma shoots better now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#33]
It seems to like Thunderbolt also.  Which is odd as most people don't have good results from Thunderbolt.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Shooting an Appleseed tmrw, 3 of us in my group all shooting ar's with cmmg conversions with vortex strike eagles 1x6

i will update tmrw evening
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Good luck.  Have fun.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 7:35:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SmilinEd:
Shooting an Appleseed tmrw, 3 of us in my group all shooting ar's with cmmg conversions with vortex strike eagles 1x6

i will update tmrw evening
View Quote

Be sure to take a dedicated upper or a .22 rifle.  The accuracy of a CMMG conversion may not be good enough for Appleseed.  Mine certainly is not.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:00:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SmilinEd] [#37]
Just  brief update on this weekends Appleseed..

None of the 4 in my group earned a patch this weekend, there were 11 shooters 2 earned patches today... Bravo on them

One was 14 yo shooting a 10-22, the other was early 30s shooting a loner rifle from the instructor CZ semi i think

my best AQT was 195 out of 4, 145,165,195,179 respectively

I will get into the nuts and bolts later this week..

best to all
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Don't overthink the Appleseed.  10/22 with garand sling.  Make sure you have correct comb sight to see thru scope if using one.  Listen to the instructors.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:01:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: intheburbs] [#39]
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Another update.

When I shot the rifle last time, I was at the top end of the elevation adjustment for the scope for shots to hit center at 25 yards.

A week or so ago, I swapped the scope rings front to back to see if it would make a difference.

I went shooting today.  With the elevation adjustment set to the middle of the adjustment range, the rifle shot about an inch low.  My thought is there is some difference in the height of the two rings.

Of course,  windage was off about 6" to the left.  I hadn't centered the windage adjustment so I'll have to check where it actually is in the adjustment range.

The two targets below were shot with Norma Tac 22.  Six shot groups.  The first target was at 25 yards.  The second was at 50 yards.  The 50 yard target was rotated 90 degrees in order to get two targets to fit on the stand.  I did not adjust the scope at all when I moved to 50 yards.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

At this point, I think I will stop playing with it and just shoot it.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice along the way.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Just back from a HD pistol class...was fun, about 150 rds today thru the Beretta M9 22, drills, 21ft is defendable.

Anywho, last weekends Appleseed takeaways for me were scopes mounted on 1.59 risers are a pain in the neck, prone position

Thats where all the points are in the bottom 2 rows

Im thinking just going with rings to the flat top..??

The CMMG kit ran great and is accurate enough to score 210, benched it and cleared the redcoat target beforehand

All 4 of us plan to be back next yr

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top