Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 9:07:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ffemt596] [#1]
What camo/color pattern best matches the HMR stock?  For a suppressor cover.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mi650:
Does anyone know the length of the shorter screws?  Also, Phillips, I presume?

And just to add, I spent 7 years in the fastener business.

The only metric wood screws I ever heard of are a brand called Spax.

German, very high quality, and available at Home Depot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mi650:
Originally Posted By HuskyKMA:
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Originally Posted By JustinRyan:
For everyone who has the HMR, do you leave all the spacers in for the LOP? I dropped 2 of the 3 and man was it a biotch to get the screws tightend all the way down..

Also would've preferred they used a hex key instead of what looks like deck screws... which tend to strip out easily
It's the one thing I was also unhappy with.  I thought the deck screws were really cheesy compared to the rest of the gun.   I also dropped from 3 to 1 single spacer and I much prefer that LOP compared to factory.  It's probably easier for them to keep track of the spacers by attaching them to the stock, though.
They sell a shorter screw if you plan on removing spacers. Make sure you order two.

http://shop.bergarausa.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=29DAC48D242E4915955ED0C4645F0E4C

They are METRIC wood screws, 6mm I believe. Good luck finding those anywhere in the U.S. of A. I thought that was kind of cheesy too. Should be a good hex or Torx machine screw and all of the required sizes should be included with the gun.

I have the opposite problem since I'm 6'7" tall. Bergara sent me additional spacers for free and I bought the longer screws off of their website.
Does anyone know the length of the shorter screws?  Also, Phillips, I presume?

And just to add, I spent 7 years in the fastener business.

The only metric wood screws I ever heard of are a brand called Spax.

German, very high quality, and available at Home Depot.
Update, for anyone interested.

These screws are Philips, and no where an M6.  They're a #4.

You can use the original screws down to 1 spacer, just be careful.

I tried taking my Pro down to 0 spacers, and the top screw poked thru, and broke.

I ended up super gluing everything back together.

My HMR I left 1 spacer in, and had n no problems.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 10:08:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#3]
Originally Posted By ffemt596:
What camo/color pattern best matches the HMR stock?  For a suppressor cover.
View Quote
In the photo below is an Armageddon gear mirage cover - the pattern is A-TACS AU.  Pouch (also Armageddon gear) is multicam.  You make the call on "match".  Sorry for the lighting - it's the best I could find this time of day!  

Available patterns @ Armageddon Gear:
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Reorx:
In the photo below is an Armageddon gear mirage cover - the pattern is A-TACS AU.  Pouch (also Armageddon gear) is multicam.  You make the call on "match".  Sorry for the lighting - it's the best I could find this time of day!  

https://i.imgur.com/4ZHdv1B.jpg

Available patterns @ Armageddon Gear:
https://www.armageddongear.com/assets/images/IMG_7257_020418_Labeled_1000px.jpg
View Quote
Perfect.  Thank you, sir.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ffemt596:
Perfect.  Thank you, sir.
View Quote
You're welcome...  glad you found that useful...  
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok guys, this may seem way newb so I apologize, but it is my first bolt gun after years of owning ARs.

I have checked the manual multiple times but I’m unable to find anything in there for bolt disassembly. I found a video on online for it, but I still find it a real pain in the balls to break this baby down and quite frankly it made me nervous not being familiar with the process. Last thing I want to do is have to send this back to Bergara because I was a moron.

Is it not a necessity on bolt guns to clean the bolt and firing pin as they are on ARs?

Don’t worry, once my optics come in, I will post a nice new picture of here. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mda908:
Ok guys, this may seem way newb so I apologize, but it is my first bolt gun after years of owning ARs.

I have checked the manual multiple times but I’m unable to find anything in there for bolt disassembly. I found a video on online for it, but I still find it a real pain in the balls to break this baby down and quite frankly it made me nervous not being familiar with the process. Last thing I want to do is have to send this back to Bergara because I was a moron.

Is it not a necessity on bolt guns to clean the bolt and firing pin as they are on ARs?

Don’t worry, once my optics come in, I will post a nice new picture of here. Thanks guys.
View Quote
I have just over 800 rounds thru mine & so far I have not disassembled the bolt.  I do remove it from the action to clean & lube it and then put it back in the action though...  Because of the differences between bolt guns and gas guns, the bolt in a bolt action rifle doesn't usually get very dirty.  I haven't heard anyone talk about cleaning intervals for the actual bolt.  Maybe one of the seasoned veterans will chime in...
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mda908:

View Quote
You do not need to disassemble bolt gun bolts unless something is wrong.

We disassemble AR bolts because every round has hot carbon gasses blown directly on the bolt for it to operate. That dirt and carbon fills the bolt with carbon. That's also the reason many believe AKs are more reliable because they are piston driven. So unless something is wrong, I just wipe off the bolt, lube it, and drop it back in.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:

You do not need to disassemble bolt gun bolts unless something is wrong.

We disassemble AR bolts because every round has hot carbon gasses blown directly on the bolt for it to operate. That dirt and carbon fills the bolt with carbon. That's also the reason many believe AKs are more reliable because they are piston driven. So unless something is wrong, I just wipe off the bolt, lube it, and drop it back in.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. Easy enough.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Back from the dead bump... anymore good info or pics to be had??

Looking to pickup a hmr .308 or 6.5 very soon... I've got a larue tranquilo almost out of jail I need a host for
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 10:09:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4A1Carbine] [#11]
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 10:11:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thornejc] [#12]
How much copper fouling do y'all have going on?  I need to get out and shoot a few groups with it this weekend but looked down the muzzle and it looks like there is a pretty substantial amount of copper build up.  Is there any point that you would say that it needs the copper cleaned out regardless of how the rifle is shooting?

Link Posted: 7/11/2019 7:14:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: huudoo] [#13]
bergara hmr from 2018 , shroud stripped
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By thornejc:
How much copper fouling do y'all have going on?  I need to get out and shoot a few groups with it this weekend but looked down the muzzle and it looks like there is a pretty substantial amount of copper build up.  Is there any point that you would say that it needs the copper cleaned out regardless of how the rifle is shooting?

https://i.imgur.com/tyJPM5g.png
View Quote
round count?  that isn't fouling, that's plating.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 10:02:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stimr2] [#15]
Originally Posted By huudoo:
picked up a new hmr in 308 1st few shots were ok then I noticed  a few primers blown out of the case
got home took bolt out disassemble it, the bolt / firing pin shroud has the threads stripped.
just like the youtube guy posted his issues... but he was handloading..

I used standard 308 win commercial ammo 147 gr fmj.. we shot the ammo in 2 different rifles with no issues
called bergara they said its a known issues with certain bolts,
 bad shroud they have corrected the issue  with new part. mine is built 4-2018....
they ask to send in  the bolt but I had a gunsmith check it out  he thinks is might a headspace issue
also he looked at the bolt face and said it was ruff.. he said send the rifle back for warranty.
so I am sending the whole rifle back.. ask for a new replacement or my monies back..
after taking the scope oft. I broke a screw that holds the mount to the receiver, what a day
I have never had a rifle FAIL so fast ... wtf paid almost a grand and have a bomb in my hands.
I am hoping for my money back or a new rifle which I doubt will happen..
so can I trust the rifle, if bergara knows of the faulty part  why not a recall..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
picked up a new hmr in 308 1st few shots were ok then I noticed  a few primers blown out of the case
got home took bolt out disassemble it, the bolt / firing pin shroud has the threads stripped.
just like the youtube guy posted his issues... but he was handloading..

I used standard 308 win commercial ammo 147 gr fmj.. we shot the ammo in 2 different rifles with no issues
called bergara they said its a known issues with certain bolts,
 bad shroud they have corrected the issue  with new part. mine is built 4-2018....
they ask to send in  the bolt but I had a gunsmith check it out  he thinks is might a headspace issue
also he looked at the bolt face and said it was ruff.. he said send the rifle back for warranty.
so I am sending the whole rifle back.. ask for a new replacement or my monies back..
after taking the scope oft. I broke a screw that holds the mount to the receiver, what a day
I have never had a rifle FAIL so fast ... wtf paid almost a grand and have a bomb in my hands.
I am hoping for my money back or a new rifle which I doubt will happen..
so can I trust the rifle, if bergara knows of the faulty part  why not a recall..
I have a BMP and the threads on my bolt shroud were starting to get messed up.  Bergara sent me a new one made out of steel.  Old one is made of either aluminum or pot metal because a magnet wouldn't stick to it.

Also the B-14 bolts seem to crater primers as well.  A guy on another forum bought a Premier bolt from Bergara and it dropped right in his B-14.  Guy said the Premier bolt has a smaller diameter firing pin than the B-14s.  He ordered one direct from Bergara for about $300.  Also you can send your bolt to Gre-Tan to have the firing pin bushed.

https://i.imgur.com/tyJPM5g.png
I saw your thread on the other forum.  I do get some cooper fouling but I don't clean it out until I see accuracy degrade.  Also I use Bore Tech Eliminator or Cooper Remover to clean my bore.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 1:34:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By barsik:

round count?  that isn't fouling, that's plating.
View Quote
A few hundred.  I thought it looked like a lot.  I got it cleaned up pretty well and am going to watch it a little closer moving forward.  I had an off day at the range last time out but a friend shot a single group through it at .24moa so not sure if it the accuracy had actually degraded or if it was just me.  Figured id just go ahead and get it all out so i can get a grasp on what the barrel is up to.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 3:49:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bailagent100:
Sonuvabitch.  That B-14 HMR looks great and this thread isn't helping.  Gonna have to wait for Bergara to start making it in a southpaw model before I jump, though.  Sonuvabitch.
View Quote
That time has come, my left handed 6.5 shipped today and should arrive next Wednesday.

I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 that I recently purchased the Magpul 700 Pro chassis for, then I decided to move to 6.5 and sell off the .308.  I need to decide if I’m going to use the Magpul chassis on the B14 or just sell it off too.  I ordered the following to setup the B14 HMR:

Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27 EBR-7C MRAD
Badger 20 moa rail
Badger 34mm 1” high rings
Atlas BT17 bipod rail

I haven’t chosen a scope level yet, I like the flatline ops and they make them in left handed now.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 3:26:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thornejc] [#18]
Just as a quick follow up to the copper build up.  I cleaned everything out with ProShot Copper Solvent IV and a .25cal nylon brush (worked pretty well... did 2 rounds of solvent + brushing and only everything came right out).  I took it back out today and just put about 30 rounds through it and it shot fine.  The rifle seems to like the Hornady Match a little better than the Precision Hunter, but I have known that.

Precision Hunter

ELD-M

But the main point I am trying to make here is that after 30 rounds, a good bit of copper built back up in the barrel.  I talked to bergara and they said that they recommend removing copper every 150-200 rounds, but still feel like this is still a lot of copper for a barrel with several hundred rounds on it to be depositing.  Anybody want to take a look in their barrel and see if it looks anything like this:

Approx 30 rounds after cleaning

Link Posted: 7/12/2019 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine looks worse than that after 30 to 40 rounds. Accuracy is around 1 moa, accuracy has deteriorated with more rounds through it (only around 350 rnds now). It pretty much stays in the safe now.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 10:05:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#20]
50 round break in with lots of cleanings...

Since then, 1,150 rounds and 28 light cleanings*** later...  muzzle end looks like this >>>

*** "light cleaning" = [flood bore with WD-40 / soak 2 to 3 minutes and then drain;  allow to sit/soak (muzzle lower than chamber) ~5 more minutes and then do 2 passes with a dry boresnake followed by a dry mop wipe out of the chamber (x2)].  I have used no copper solvent in this bore since "break in".

The rifle is chambered in .308 and is still shooting sub MOA groups with good ammunition if I do my part.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#21]
copper fouling really pisses me off because I've never shot a decent group with the barrel showing copper at the muzzle.  last year I gifted myself a Lyman borescope for my birthday and the first time I used it I wished I had bought one many years ago.  FWIW, I don't own any Lyman stock.  all of the premature fouling I've seen in my own rifles was caused by chatter marks from the chambering reamer, and it takes some time for bullets to lap that rough surface off the throat.  if it is really bad, chatter marks will be visible in the leade, where there is no rifling, but that rough surface will chew up the bullet jacket before it enters the rifling.  most of the rifles I own show a bit rough where the reamer cuts an angled ramp into the rifling for the bullet to make the transition from leade into the rifling lands, but it does't cause problems.  not saying that it can't happen, but I've never seen copper fouling on top of rifling lads, it is always in the grooves.

if you have a rifle that shows really quick fouling, chances are something is amiss in the leade, that is the smooth part of the barrel just ahead of the chamber but short of the rifling and the bullet jacket is getting scarred up before it hits the rifling.  all is not lost,  it may polish out with repeated firings if you clean the copper out as soon as you see it.  the other alternative is buying a box of final finish bullets from David Tubb. these bullets come in a kit with coarse, medium, and fine grit imbedded in the bullet jacket and serves as a polishing compound to help smooth out rough barrels.  keep in mind this does remove barrel material, so use these bullets very judiciously.  best if you can find a buddy or a gunsmith who will let you look at your bore through a borescope, and you can see what the problem is.

BTW,  Tikka/Sako , Bartlein, Shilen, CZ,  and other high quality barrels have very smooth barrels, almost mirror like.  I also own a pair of S&W M&P 15 rifles and the barrels are decent, but not great. manufacturing processes and finishing techniques make the difference between a decent barrel and a high quality one.  the S&W rifles don't know any of this shit and print really good groups anyway, but will not hold group sizes for very long.  a really well finished barrel will show very little copper fouling even after many rounds. sorry for the long post.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 3:51:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#22]
Originally Posted By barsik:
...the other alternative is buying a box of final finish bullets from David Tubb. these bullets come in a kit with coarse...
View Quote
I used Tubb TMS (fine grit) bullets for the first 10 rounds breaking in my new B-14 HMR (muzzle photo above) back in 2017...    I wasn't reloading at the time so I got the loaded ammunition version.  Now that I am reloading, I ordered the "just bullets" (50) version of the kit to do "maintenance" every now and then.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 7:33:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: huudoo] [#23]
I thought bergara barrels were to be lapped from the factory or
is that on the premier rifles only..
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By stimr2:

I have a BMP and the threads on my bolt shroud were starting to get messed up.  Bergara sent me a new one made out of steel.  Old one is made of either aluminum or pot metal because a magnet wouldn't stick to it.

Also the B-14 bolts seem to crater primers as well.  A guy on another forum bought a Premier bolt from Bergara and it dropped right in his B-14.  Guy said the Premier bolt has a smaller diameter firing pin than the B-14s.  He ordered one direct from Bergara for about $300.  Also you can send your bolt to Gre-Tan to have the firing pin bushed.  
View Quote
I decided to take a look at threads on my 308 HMR after reading your post.  I'm not that happy with it how they look.  It doesn't show up that great in the pics but there is some definite flattening of the threads and this gun has less than a box of ammo through it.

Link Posted: 7/14/2019 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#25]
anyone know what happens of the shroud stripps all the way
does it go through your SKULL?
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 10:53:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stimr2] [#26]
Originally Posted By Jeepsnguns81:

I decided to take a look at threads on my 308 HMR after reading your post.  I'm not that happy with it how they look.  It doesn't show up that great in the pics but there is some definite flattening of the threads and this gun has less than a box of ammo through it.
https://i.postimg.cc/wTq5V1ng/20190713-103416.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/FHqjNDzH/20190713-103437.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/W1tMBQ2y/20190713-103538.jpg
View Quote
If the threads have already started to flatten, it will get worse.  Here's what mine looked like and I had less than 300 rounds through mine at the time.  They use to send out a machined steel shroud but they've changed to a MIM steel shroud.

Link Posted: 7/15/2019 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Does anybody know if the newer rifles are shipping with the steel shroud/threads?
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I received an email from them this morning asking for my shipping info for a new shroud.  I am not excited to receive an MIM one.   Does anyone know if the Premier line has an MIM shroud?
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 7:07:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thornejc] [#29]
I received an email from them this morning asking for my shipping info for a new shroud.  I am not excited to receive an MIM one.   Does anyone know if the Premier line has an MIM shroud?
View Quote
I believe the premier is machined.  My standard B14 threads started to flatten as well so just said f*** it and spent the $300 on the premier bolt.  Its a drop in an well worth the money IMO, especially if you are concerned about the MIM shroud or worried about the B14 shroud failing.

Anyone rebarrel their HMR with a non-Bergara barrel yet?
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 8:19:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jeepsnguns81] [#30]

I believe the premier is machined.  My standard B14 threads started to flatten as well so just said f*** it and spent the $300 on the premier bolt.  Its a drop in an well worth the money IMO, especially if you are concerned about the MIM shroud or worried about the B14 shroud failing.

Anyone rebarrel their HMR with a non-Bergara barrel yet?
View Quote
@thornejc

Did you call BPI directly to buy the Premier bolt?

Eta: never mind, Nathan from BPI already got back to me about them.  I'm not impressed with the quality of the bolt shroud that was on the gun, but their customer service is pretty damn good so far.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 9:24:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thornejc] [#31]

@thornejc

Did you call BPI directly to buy the Premier bolt?

Eta: never mind, Nathan from BPI already got back to me about them.  I'm not impressed with the quality of the bolt shroud that was on the gun, but their customer service is pretty damn good so far.
View Quote
@jeepsnguns81

ETA: If you want a black bolt handle make sure you specify that.  They sent me a "raw" one... turned out ok because my rifle isn't in the factory stock and the raw goes with OD green pretty well, but if I had it in the standard HMR stock, I would have definitely wanted the black.

Yup... called them directly.  I wasn't super happy with the shroud on the standard B14 and figured it was worth the upgrade.  I'm still trying to figure out the differences in the receiver body itself (B14 vs Premier).  I know that the premier is stainless while the B14 is CMV (not that big of a deal to me for a receiver) but didn't know if there were any dimensional or other differences.  It looks like the bolt releases aren't exactly the same but don't know if that is simply cosmetic or if there are some functional differences there.

I'm still kinda watching the copper fouling thing but if I am starting to get accuracy degradation before ~300 rounds, I may go ahead and swap the barrel out.  Just not sure if it would be worth it to put a Proof or Bartlein on my B14 action or if I should just spend another 1300 on a custom one.  I rather save the money but I want to make sure that the premier bolt will be good long term.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 1:29:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: huudoo] [#32]
when I talked to bergara they said only a few months were affected
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#33]

@jeepsnguns81

ETA: If you want a black bolt handle make sure you specify that.  They sent me a "raw" one... turned out ok because my rifle isn't in the factory stock and the raw goes with OD green pretty well, but if I had it in the standard HMR stock, I would have definitely wanted the black.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up on that, I definitely wouldn't have known to ask them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#34]
when I talked to bergara they said only a few months were affected
the last 4 of the serial # is the build date .. 04-18 my born on date

I ask to have a premier bolt upgrade when they repair my rifle
I told him I would pay the difference
at this point I am not sure to keep the rifle or sale it
it depends what the factory does to it....when they repair it..
View Quote
Huh, the last four of mine is 2317, wonder what month the 23 corresponds to, May?
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Huh, the last four of mine is 2317, wonder what month the 23 corresponds to, May?
View Quote
Definitely not the last 4.  I think the second "block" of numbers corresponds to the month and the last "block" corresponds to the year.  Mine is xx-06-xxxxxx-17, so that would be a june 2017 manufacture date
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Definitely not the last 4.  I think the second "block" of numbers corresponds to the month and the last "block" corresponds to the year.  Mine is xx-06-xxxxxx-17, so that would be a june 2017 manufacture date
View Quote
That makes more sense.  Mine was made the same month/year as yours.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#37]

That makes more sense.  Mine was made the same month/year as yours.
View Quote
Could be wrong but that is my best guess... seeing a lot of 06s tho so maybe i'm wrong
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Since I have a BMP the serial numbers might not correspond with the HMR.  My serial number is XX-06-XXXX66-16 and I purchased mine in early Feb. 2018.  Also I have the later model BMP because it doesn't have the barrel nut like the early ones.  I read that Bergara had production issues with the barrel nut system so they stopped offering it on the BMP.  I didn't find out about this until after I purchased my BMP.  I probably wouldn't of gotten one since I wanted to do my own barrel changes.  Guess I'll just turn my 700 into a remage or do a Big Horn TL3 build.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 4:16:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MSC182] [#39]
I asked about the thread issue and how to determine when my rifle was manufactured and received this response. I don’t think the 06 we have in the serial number has anything to do with when it was made (mine has it also).

Edit: I asked if the 2018 models had this addressed as that’s what mine is and received this response. Mine is magnetic.

The issue was corrected about half way through 2018, if your shroud is magnetic you have the strongest shroud available. If it is not magnetic it is the old style and if you send us your address we can send you a replacement as long as it is a U.S. address.

Thanks,

Camaran Waddell
Customer Service Rep
BPI Outdoors

Hello,

This issue has been addressed in our current batch. The last two digits in your serial number indicate the manufacture year.

Nathan Coy
Customer Service Rep
BPI Outdoors

I recently purchased a B-14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor and had a couple of questions.

I’ve read of some issues with the bolt shroud threads flattening on some rifles, has this been addressed?

How can I determine when my rifle was manufactured?

Thank you
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#40]
I just got a reply from Camaran as well--a new shroud on order for my 2018 Ridge.  Mine just missed the cutoff, apparently.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MSC182:
I asked about the thread issue and how to determine when my rifle was manufactured and received this response. I don’t think the 06 we have in the serial number has anything to do with when it was made (mine has it also).

Edit: I asked if the 2018 models had this addressed as that’s what mine is and received this response. Mine is magnetic.

The issue was corrected about half way through 2018, if your shroud is magnetic you have the strongest shroud available. If it is not magnetic it is the old style and if you send us your address we can send you a replacement as long as it is a U.S. address.

Thanks,

Camaran Waddell
Customer Service Rep
BPI Outdoors

Hello,

This issue has been addressed in our current batch. The last two digits in your serial number indicate the manufacture year.

Nathan Coy
Customer Service Rep
BPI Outdoors

I recently purchased a B-14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor and had a couple of questions.

I’ve read of some issues with the bolt shroud threads flattening on some rifles, has this been addressed?

How can I determine when my rifle was manufactured?

Thank you
View Quote
Thanks for posting that. I'm looking at a B14 Hunter and came across mention of the bolt shroud issue. This takes that worry out of buying one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By lew:

Thanks for posting that. I'm looking at a B14 Hunter and came across mention of the bolt shroud issue. This takes that worry out of buying one.
View Quote
Glad to help
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By stimr2:

If the threads have already started to flatten, it will get worse.  Here's what mine looked like and I had less than 300 rounds through mine at the time.  They use to send out a machined steel shroud but they've changed to a MIM steel shroud.

https://i.imgur.com/ZZ9axYs.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/rfjNPEg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4FR8u1O.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5GDDexT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/W8OAc7R.jpg
View Quote
I got my replacement shroud in yesterday and installed it.  It most definitely does NOT look like the all black shroud in these pictures, but it IS magnetic.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By the444shooter:

I got my replacement shroud in yesterday and installed it.  It most definitely does NOT look like the all black shroud in these pictures, but it IS magnetic.
View Quote
Can you post some pics?
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Here are some pics. It looks just like the original, but with a heat-treated coloration to it.  I asked about the presence of the flat spots on the threads and the shank of the shroud, but they assured me it was part of the mold (which is apparent looking closely—the flat spot above the threads has the seam visible)
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm a little confused on the issue here.  I bought my HMR a few months ago but it was the display and now I'm worried about a potential problem with it.  Can anyone clarify what is going on?
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#47]
From what I've gathered, the flat spots on the bolt shroud in 444shooter's post are part of the mold, while those threads flattened circumferentially as in the pictures further up the page are the issue we should be concerned about, and those were found in early-production rifles.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
I'm a little confused on the issue here.  I bought my HMR a few months ago but it was the display and now I'm worried about a potential problem with it.  Can anyone clarify what is going on?
View Quote
There was an issue with the threads on the bolt shrouds flattening out. Earlier rifles had a shroud made of some sort of alloy. They were replaced sometime in 2018 with steel ones which should resolve the issue. If yours is magnetic, it’s the new one. If not, email Bergara and they’ll send you one.

@Bronsonburner
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks.  I'll have to dig it out tomorrow and check on it.  So far this gun has done nothing but impress me.  Especially considering the price I paid.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Just tested with a refrigerator magnet.  It sticks.  Should I have to disassemble the bolt to be really sure?
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top