Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/9/2010 11:53:56 AM EDT
I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

Any V-22 experts in the house?
I know there are not many here who are fond of the CZ over the US dedicated uppers, but I picked this up off a gun show walk in for $175 out the door. I just couldn't pass it up for that.
Just looking for a little advise to replace the handguard from someone who possibly has done it on a CZ upper? Any input very much appreciated.

I know next to nothing about the upper other than the aluminum hand guard has got to go. I would like to replace it with a free float. Any suggestions? The current handguard is 7" long. A budget rail (YHM?) will be great as I dont see the need to dump tons of $$ into a .22 rifle for plinking. If the fake gas block will unscrew off I am not against a longer rail. I would also like to set the rifle up for 1/3 co-witness.

So really 2 questions:
1) Is the handguard replaceable? And can anyone advise how.
2) Does anyone make a budget 7" or longer replacement replacement that will fit this upper?

Thank you for you're time.
3M

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Shung replaced the handguards on his V22...try shooting him a PM
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Changing the hand guard  on the CZ is not that much trouble.  The gas block is held on by a allen screw and can be loosened and slid off  the front.  The hand guard screws onto a nut.  This nut serves as the barrel nut which screws onto the receiver threading holding the barrel and hand guard.  The biggest issue from what I've read is depending on the length of the new hand guard will the gas block fit back in the same position.   The barrel has been relieved for the gas block set screw to seat.  If the hand guard sits in a different position this leaves an unsightly mark on the barrel.  Most times this area is not that visible.  More issues are encountered when trying to replace the hand guard with an M-4 style hand guard.  The current CZ V-22 is a free floating hand guard but doesn't do much for the appearance of the upper but is functional.  Another problem is getting the hand guard loose from the barrel nut.  Some people recommend using a strap wrench and you might resort to trying to warm up the hand guard if it is very tight.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you Vascar. Very helpful information. I will start there.

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I recently replaced my V22 hanguard with a spectre length YHM customisable one. My original handguard simply unscrewed from the barrel nut (It's only ever been hand tight, with a locking ring on the back. I had to go to a smith to get the barrel nut off but that was purely because I don't have a suitable vice and tool. It's not a standard AR barrel nut so your tools won't work (without bending the lugs. Ask me how I know..). Anyway, very simple and it now looks like this..

I agree that the V22's don't look as nice as the 'genuine' looking uppers but I think that ergonomically they are better as you don't have to break your head position due to the 'T' charging handle. I never understood why Mr Stoner went for that configuration, other than perhaps receiver strength?

Link Posted: 1/10/2010 4:46:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Forgot to mention, on your side of the pond Dan Auth at CCS is your man for things V22........
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#6]
As already mentioned the standard hand guard is replaceable...I'm currently running with OD Magpul handguards on my V22 (top rifle in pic)

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies
Here are the updates. I was able to remove the fake gas block as mentioned by Vascar by simply removing the 3mm allen set screw.

I was able to remove the CZ hand guard by using a oil filter strap wrench I had laying around.

I have been shopping around and I think I have settled on a YHM Diamond Free float here:

My question now is: The YHM comes with the rail, barrel nut, jam nut and anti-rotation screws, will the barrel nut included with the rail thread up to my CZ upper?

Thank you again for all of you're input.
3M
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 1:25:40 AM EDT
[#8]
The threads on the CZ upper are the same as on regular AR15's. The YHM should work although I am not sure how the extended rail on the top would fit up against the CZ upper.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 7:15:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The threads on the CZ upper are the same as on regular AR15's. The YHM should work although I am not sure how the extended rail on the top would fit up against the CZ upper.

I did'nt think about that Thanks for pointing that out.

Is there another budget manufacturer or the carbine length free float without the extended rail on top? I actually would prefer not to have one anyway.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 7:42:27 AM EDT
[#10]
My V-22 came as M-4 look-a-like

I stripped off the foresight unit/gas block as it's not needed & is only cosmetic

Not YET fitted a free-float rail (my plan as well) - so for now I am just using the M4 hand-guards as-is: not attached to the barrel at the front end, only attached at the rear end near the receiver

PLAN IS: Hogue do a couple of inexpensive free-float units, so will sort one of those out soon...
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#11]
My YHM barrel nut went straight on, no problem. You could use the locking ring to space it out but that might not look right. You could even remove the short length of projecting rail on the float tube. Otherwise it's a different tube. How about the YHM lightweights?

Having looked again, does it actually project past the threads or is it just the angle the pic was taken from?
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Not to highjack your post. I all so have a cz upper. Where do you find replacement springs and mags.  Search did not find anything. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Caliber Conversion Supply, Dan Auth.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes Dan is the way to go if you need v-22 parts.
He even stocks firingpins and springkits!!

The dpms free floating tube is also an inexpensive alternative.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top