Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2023 1:07:40 AM EDT
I've been looking for a cheek riser for my Tikka for a while. I know theres a few options, the Mountain Tactical and Bradley options probably being the most common. I wanted something that is hand adjustable, but also permanently installed. This is due to the fact my girlfriend shoot sit damn near as much as I do, and I wanted it easily and quickly adjustable for us. The Mountain Tactical model is permanent but requires tools to adjust. The Bradly cheek riser is held in place with velco and while having a lot of good reviews frankly I just didnt like the way it looked. Yes, I value form as much as function.

I stumbled across the KalixTeknik model and it looked like just what I wanted. A permanently installed adjustable cheek riser that didnt need tools. Its definitely on the upper end as far as price goes, but I rolled the dice and grabbed one to try on the T1X

KalixTeknix CR1

Got it installed tonight. I'll admit, installation was a bit of a bitch. They include a template which is great but the problem I had was when drilling the holes in the top of the stock the bit wanted to wander due to the stock being curved. I used a smaller bit and then worked up larger, but my holes still ended up horribly off center. So much so I had to mount the stock in a vice and grab a router bit for the Dremel and cut out some material to get the top holes closer to center. Thanksfully the riser covers up my fuckup pretty well so you really cant tell unless you raise the riser and start inspecting it. I did read a comment that a user was concerned that it would allow water into the stock and thats definitely true, so I wouldnt recommend using it on a harpoon gun or a rifle you carry in a monsoon.

Other than that, I've been so happy with it just messing with it this evening I'm going to order another to install into the T3. Figured I'd pass it on as a cheek riser option for anyone shopping for one.

Installed, low position.

Installed, high position

Installed, fully assembled. The set screw is on the other side.

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 1:15:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#1]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
... They include a template which is great but the problem I had was when drilling the holes in the top of the stock the bit wanted to wander due to the stock being curved.
View Quote

Order a set of "brad point" bits.  They have a central spur to help place the bit over the hole, then keep it on track as you start to actually drill.  Also, they cut around the perimeter, so they give nice, clean holes exactly where you wanted it.

If you want larger holes, look for "Forstner" bits.

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 1:25:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Those bits would do it! That brings up a good point, the directions call for metric drill bits for a 6mm, 10mm and 12mm hole. I actually had to go buy a drill bit set that included 64th sized drills to get close to the mm equivalent. That said....Its definitely fine to not be exact in the hole size
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the review, been considering the Kalixteknik CR1 adjustable riser for the T1X... the Victor Co. riser works fine, looks OK but I can't use the bore guide with it in place... the Kalixteknik looks way better and drops out of the way to insert bore guide for cleaning.
Also, thanks for the drill bit sizes & info.
Victor Co riser

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
I would like to see the inletted mechanism from the right side

My A7 needs a better cheek rest than padded leg wrap.

View Quote
Here you go. Its just a small thumb screw. If you are looking for the cleanest rifle possible probably not the best choice since it does stick out from the stock but it doesnt protrude out any further than the bolt handle. A twist or two to loosen it and move the riser up and down, then a twist or two to tighten it back up.

The riser does come with a snap ring you can insert on the riser post after installation to prevent the riser from being removed untirely, or you can leave it off if you want the ability to pull the riser completely off.

@AeroE

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top