Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2023 1:02:43 PM EDT
I installed Volquartsen trigger kits in all our Ruger 10/22 rifles. They've been great, and consistently pull 2lbs (one is 2.5lbs).

We need to have 3lbs minimum trigger pull for 4H competition coming up soon. I don't want to put the heavy stock trigger springs back in. I've emailed Volquartsen, Timney, and Clark Custom to see if they have a solution. Searching MidwayUSA and Brownells next.

Anyone know where to get a good, adjustable trigger for Ruger 10/22? What combo of hammer spring, sear spring, and trigger return spring might get 3lbs consistently? Any other ideas?
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Contact Randy at CPC, explain the situation, he can lower trigger pull, I'm quite sure he can increase it.

He's done barrel and bolt work for me, he's a magician when it comes to 10/22's
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger BX trigger packs?

Add a set screw for overtravel adjustment.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:54:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ajroyer] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:
Contact Randy at CPC, explain the situation, he can lower trigger pull, I'm quite sure he can increase it.

He's done barrel and bolt work for me, he's a magician when it comes to 10/22's
View Quote

Email sent. Thanks!

ETA: He already replied, no go for 3lbs springs. He also recommended the BX trigger at 3 to 3.25lbs. That's higher than advertised but we might try it and see (since that's 2 recommendations for BX).
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MJ11B4P:
Ruger BX trigger packs?

Add a set screw for overtravel adjustment.
View Quote

I looked at the BX triggers. They advertise up to 2.75 lbs trigger. How would overtravel effect pull weight?
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:56:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ajroyer:

I looked at the BX triggers. They advertise up to 2.75 lbs trigger. How would overtravel effect pull weight?
View Quote

Overtravel doesn’t affect pull weight. Minimizing it helps mitigate movement during the firing process; aides accuracy/precision.

Mine have been closer to 4lb, if I recall correctly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:10:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ElrodCod] [#6]
You’re first mistake was buying the overpriced Volquartzen crap. Buy the Kidd drop in trigger job for the factory plastic trigger housing and the trigger return spring kit and you should be able to dial it in to where you want it. You’ll get a crisp trigger pull with no noticeable take up or over travel. It’s better than the BX trigger by several orders of magnitude. Probably cost you a hundred & fifty bucks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I looked at KIDD. $350 for two stage trigger. Order options are 8oz up to 2lbs. I'll have to check, but I think they're one of the companies I sent an email to.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#8]
The complete drop in trigger groups from Kidd are pricey. The links will take you to what I was talking about.

Drop in trigger job $127

Pull weight tuning kit $12
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ElrodCod:
The complete drop in trigger groups from Kidd are pricey. The links will take you to what I was talking about.

Drop in trigger job $127

Pull weight tuning kit $12
View Quote

Thanks! I ordered the pull weight tuning kit. Hopefully won't stay on backorder for long...
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 4:26:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Kidd eBay store has blemished trigger groups if you're looking to save a few more bucks.

Link Posted: 9/22/2023 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#11]
At the risk of hijacking OP's thread, but may be helpful to him ....

Tell me about the kidd single stage trigger group.  Does it come with a bolt release mod?  How is the mag release, is an after market upgrade needed?  

Is it basically a plug and play?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Deuskid:
At the risk of hijacking OP's thread, but may be helpful to him ....

Tell me about the kidd single stage trigger group.  Does it come with a bolt release mod?  How is the mag release, is an after market upgrade needed?  

Is it basically a plug and play?  

Thanks
View Quote

It comes with the bolt release and your choice of mag release.
Mag release
Info on all Kidd products is available on his websites. Coolguyguns.com and kiddInovativedesign.com
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 3:39:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deuskid] [#13]

Mag release
Info on all Kidd products is available on his websites. Coolguyguns.com and kiddInovativedesign.com
View Quote

Thanks for the link.  

Apparently the quick release [the longest lever] isn't an option.  Only the short 'hunter' and medium 'range' releases are.  

Even stranger is that it is a $24 'option' but at the bottom of the page can be bought separately for $18.50???????
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 5:03:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ElrodCod] [#14]

Thanks for the link.  

Apparently the quick release [the longest lever] isn't an option.  Only the short 'hunter' and medium 'range' releases are.  

Even stranger is that it is a $24 'option' but at the bottom of the page can be bought separately for $18.50???????
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Mag release

Thanks for the link.  

They probably need to update that page. Call them & ask about it.
I had guns with both the single stage and two stage triggers. They look really great, nice and precice looking. If you're looking for a pull weight in the ounces then the two stage is the way to go. For single stage pull weights from about 1 1/2 pounds to 3 3/4 pounds I recommend just going with the drop in triggerjob kit and pull weight adjustment spring kit for less than $150.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#15]
@Elrodcod thanks for the help!

I ordered two sets of trigger tuning springs. They arrived yesterday.

I have the Volquartsen hammer kit in the stock Ruger trigger group. Wanted to try the cheap option first.  The weights were about 1 to 1.5 lbs higher than the spring spec with my setup. The white spring gives a consistent 3.5lbs.  I was tempted to try the grey spring (lightest), but this should survive the weight test at the competition.

We went to the range and tested. Still shooting tight groups at competition distances. My son says he can't really tell the difference, but I can. I might take it apart and lube the pins and bushings. Either way, problem solved with time left to practice. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Plumber576:
Kidd eBay store has blemished trigger groups if you're looking to save a few more bucks.

View Quote

Public Service Announcement....

I went to the ebay store and was in the process of buying a blemished trigger group [at a 15% savings] and upon checkout ebay wanted to charge me a "10% sales tax", eliminating most of the savings from buying with Kidd directly ... so I bought directly.  PS, I'm a CPA and ebay doesn't have to collect sales tax, the seller has to collect sales tax IF the have a physical presence in the state in which you are buying.  Just a bogus ebay 'up charge'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top