Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, 2.5 BILLION people literally worship him 2000 years after he died so, yeah, I'd say he had some influence.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Being God helps.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:14:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nandoz:
Not to be the actually guy, but Constantine was the Byzantine emperor. And yes Jesus was the most amazing man to walk the earth.

There is no greater love than to give one’s life for his brothers.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:

The Prophet Muhammad?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

I'm going with this.

Name another human being whose words are quoted and followed by billions of people 2,000 years after his birth, and death.

The Prophet Muhammad?

Jesus - believe and live.

Muhammad - convert or die.

my people
Nick Vujicic of Life Without Limbs Meets Sponsored Child | Compassion
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]
While I am more of a Buddhist(and bad at that), Jesus had an impact on Western Society that is immeasurable.

Even if you do not see him as a Christian does, his philosophy is revolutionary and inspired people to do greater things.

BTW, Buddhists see him as an enlightened individual and many revere him as a Bodhisattava(an individual who has reached enlightenment/Buddha-hood but delays entrance to Nirvana to help others).
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#6]

The Prophet Muhammad?
View Quote

Nope, he wasn't on the scene till 570AD.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Not to be the actually guy, but Constantine was the Byzantine emperor. And yes Jesus was the most amazing man to walk the earth.

View Quote

Amen, my brother. 👍
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 10:40:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer] [#8]
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By skeebinz:
one of? you mean the most influential

he's the son of man

kind of a big deal
View Quote

1. There are some factual inaccuracies in your OP, OP.  

2. He is Jesus, the Christ, the Messiah.

3. Not one of the most.  He's the only man who split time.  B.C. Before Christ. A.D. Anno Domini. (This is one reason you see the push for C.E. and B.C.E.  Common Era and Before Common Era.  They're trying to hide the truth.)

Building on what Skeebinz said about Jesus Christ being the Son of Man. This was Jesus' most used name when referring to himself. He referred to himself as the Son of Man 78 times in the New Testament. This was a reference to Daniel's prophecy in Daniel 7:13-14:

"And I saw in the night visions, and behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed. "
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Primecube:
I heard a sermon Saturday that really made me think:

Jesus of Nazareth: Some people call him this to avoid calling him Jesus Christ. Similar to using B.C.E. and C.E. to avoid using B.C. and A.D.

* He lived with his Mother until he was 30 yo - His ministry began around age 30. In the years immediately preceding that the Bible does not record where he was living or with whom.
* He wrote no books nor built any Churches - He kinda did. The best selling book of all time. A book countless saints died to translate into the common language and preserve for us today. In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God. ... and the word became flesh and dwelt among us. Read John Chapter 1. The Bible is divinely inspired. In a sense, God is the author written through the hands of men inspired/led by the Holy Spirit.
* He had no possessions; He died with only the Clothes on his back (so according to some here Jesus was a "Poor" lol) Most likely, he died naked with his skin shredded and his bones visible.
* After he was Crucified he came back and walked the Earth until he was ascended into heaven.
* We owe a great deal of Western Culture to his life/Death and resurrection. Understatement.

I've been thinking about this a lot since I heard it yesterday.

What do Ya'll Think?

ETA: Of Course without Emperor Constantine's Stamp of approval in making Christianity the Official Religion of the Roman Empire things would have been very different.
ETA#2: Jesus Haters and atheists please don't crap on this thread as a Courtesy!!
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#11]
What did he need?

To travel and speak the word all you need is the clothes on your back and some food

He was the son of a carpenter, I'm sure he was resourceful outside of his heavenly ways
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Nothing is really known about Christ's life before he became well known in his early 30s. Not sure He always  lived with His mother
View Quote

...aside from his early childhood of course.  I think he was age 12 when he was in the Temple with the teachers in Jerusalem (parents left him behind - whoopsies)? But yeah, I think we have a gap between then and when his ministry began.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:
I wonder who he really was though. I'm too agnostic to believe he was the literal son of God, but he did have good ideas that helped humanity. One thing that really stands out about early christianity is how fanatically passionate his disciples were, he must've been incredibly charismatic to inspire people that much.
View Quote

This is something that I think about a lot, and which I find really compelling.  Thousands of people were following him around, camping outside of cities waiting for him to arrive so he could heal them.

If he was a bullshit artist who was healing no one (like David Koresh, Jim Jones or John of God), I do not think that many people would be following him.

He did not have mass media like televangelist bullshit artists have.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I started a thread about why Jesus came to earth from a agnostic stand point.

Like what was going on on earth that our Creator, albeit God, the Simulation programmers, a higher intelligence that made us etc...thought it was a good time at that time for a messiah to show up.

If you step back, that was an extremely meaningful thing for the Human Race in that part of the world.

Like if Jesus never showed up, or a messiah at that..how different would the world look?
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Matthew 8:20: And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.”
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Primecube:
I heard a sermon Saturday that really made me think:

Jesus of Nazareth:

* He had no possessions; He died with only the Clothes on his back (so according to some here Jesus was a "Poor" lol)
]
View Quote

He did not flaunt his possessions, but as far as having them.

Psalm 24:1
The earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Arguably, Paul was just as influential; there are those who think christianity should be called Paulism. but that may be neither here nor there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#19]

The Prophet Muhammad?
View Quote
Jesus and Christianity have been around much longer than Muhammad and Islam.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SixpackinOk:

View Quote

So, if statistics wise, this guy's teachings are spreading at a faster rate.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#21]

The Prophet Muhammad?
View Quote

Napoleon Bonaparte is more influential and even Hitler ranks up there with him.  No matter you background except possibly North Koreas everyone has heard and been influenced by Jesus even atheist even through they may never admit it more than likely have.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Back in the day if you were good at street magic and you werent a woman the world is your oyster
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Christ is King of my life.....when I don't get in the way and try to help out with my "wisdom".  I'm a work in progress.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#24]
He was a man just like any of us. He was charismatic and influential. He was used as a pawn to create control over the masses. I'd say that worked out pretty well, for the Gov't.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Koa:
He was a man just like any of us. He was charismatic and influential. He was used as a pawn to create control over the masses. I'd say that worked out pretty well, for the Gov't.
View Quote

Do you truly believe that?

100% of his closest disciples chose death over recanting.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Koa:
View Quote

He was so good the government had him killed

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#27]
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 2:07:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Girlieman] [#28]
Dan McCafferty of Nazareth was pretty awesome as well...
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#29]
And all He asks is that you believe in Him.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Although I didn't recognize it at the time I was fortunate enough to attend a school that allowed the study of religions as an academic topic.  I've gotten the basics of all the major world religions.  

It proves an important perspective.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#31]

The Prophet Muhammad?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

I'm going with this.

Name another human being whose words are quoted and followed by billions of people 2,000 years after his birth, and death.

The Prophet Muhammad?

That dude dis get on the scene until long after Christ’s death
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SixpackinOk:

Well Christianity is by choice Islam is by force.  If you leave the church the most you will deal with is possibly scorn, you leave Islam you will most likely be killed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

The Byzantine empire was the eastern Roman Empire. It lasted until the 15th century, until Muslims with cannons took down the walls.

It far outlasted the western empire by about 1,000 years.

From Constantinople to Byzantium, to Istanbul. Same city, different years.

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I have to laugh at those who think Jesus was not the Son of God as he claimed, but merely a good moral teacher. If the Gospels accurately reflect what Jesus actually said and did, then he is either a lunatic, a liar of the worst kind, or really who he claimed to be. You can’t say that Jesus was both not who he claimed to be (lunatic or liar) and a good moral teacher.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

This isn't Sunday school.  You should not expect anyone to be required to abide by your rules.  

The COC prevents most discussion about religion from being anything but an echo chamber and you have one for it in a subforum.  Take it there.
View Quote

Your presence here indicates the need for an obnoxious dbag forum.

If you're not interested, don't click. GENERAL discussion. Live it love it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 5:09:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CoconutLaCroix] [#36]
He also influenced Judaism a lot.

He was the one that appeared to Moses in the burning bush and provided the 10 commandments and was prophesied as their savior.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 5:17:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sandbowl1980] [#37]
I think it wouldn't hurt this country with a little more Jesus in it. With all the hate today. Whether you believe or not. It most certainly would not hurt. There are people that go bat shit crazy today at the mere mention of Jesus. Which makes me believe demons really do exist. Perfect example of what just saying his name does to some people. Never heard anyone who Posted a recipe, talked about pets ect.....get told to take it to the subforum. But mention christ and you get attacked.

Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

This isn't Sunday school.  You should not expect anyone to be required to abide by your rules.  

The COC prevents most discussion about religion from being anything but an echo chamber and you have one for it in a subforum.  Take it there.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By brownbomber:

This is something that I think about a lot, and which I find really compelling.  Thousands of people were following him around, camping outside of cities waiting for him to arrive so he could heal them.

If he was a bullshit artist who was healing no one (like David Koresh, Jim Jones or John of God), I do not think that many people would be following him.

View Quote

I might speculate that If I spent three years with a man who healed the sick and raised the dead...then watched him die....return to life and levitate of the planet I would be pretty stoked about it.
What can you threaten somone with when they dont fear death anymore?
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 5:28:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sandbowl1980] [#39]
Originally Posted By T1NMAN:

I might speculate that If I spent three years with a man who healed the sick and raised the dead...then watched him die....return to life and levitate of the planet I would be pretty stoked about it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By brownbomber:

Enternal damnation in a pit of fire would scare me. Being tortured for eternity by demons. The old phrase there are worst things than death.

Op is correct in his post title mostly. Jesus is not one of, but instead is the most influential person to exist in the history of mankind. I want to be on his ship when he returns
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Amen to that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By WoolRug:

View Quote

100% of Jim Jonses followers chose the Kool-Aid
There were a couple of other snake oil salesmen whose followers offed themselves on mountaintops etc because some imminent date or event was approaching.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

100% of Jim Jonses followers chose the Kool-Aid.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
Originally Posted By WoolRug:

100% of Jim Jonses followers chose the Kool-Aid.

No they didn't.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:
Lol
View Quote

Username checks out
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#44]
John Prine on Austin City Limits "Jesus: The Missing Years" (1992)
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

AMEN! I didnt see any of that but I still have complete faith and trust in him.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top