Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/3/2010 7:36:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: skytrooper603]
Well where do I start? Took my new Mossy 930 SPX out today in preparation for a Tactical Shotgun Class next weekend. I fired 80 or so rounds, 40 Federal LE Tactical Hydrashock Slugs, Federal LE Tactical 00 buck, Remington Slugger slugs and Winchester Bird shot. This POS failed to eject on ALL types between 20 - 40 % of the time. The only thing that ran ok was the Fed LE 00 buck, and the Winchester Bird shot would not eject one single round out of 10. It also stove piped 8 times. After 60 rounds I still couldn't get this thing where it should be on paper, I had the wind-age maxed out to the left , it was then I noticed the front sight was canted. WTF. This a joke. How could anyone trust their life with this thing? And yes, I did disassemble it, clean and lube it. I also became aware the sights sit way to high for any kind of a cheek weld. This I could fix with a pad for the stock but at this point I think I'll just take it back and get a pump. JUNK! Vent done...
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Semiauto?
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By cobra-ak:
Semiauto?

Affirmative..
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#3]
TAG because I was thinking about picking one of these up some day....
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm glad I bought an FN SLP MKI instead.  I've fed everything from  light loaded 7 1/2 shot to 3" mag slugs and buckshot and not a hiccup.
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#5]
To me there's no excuse for this kind of sh1t. I shouldn't have to take a new gun and piss through $100 or more dollars of ammo to "break it in". And the canted sight, from further reading was a known problem a while back but I just bought this gun a few weeks ago. Man I'm glad I never  counted on this for home defense. There's just no excuse for this.
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#6]
That's why I bought the 590 SPX.  It chews through everything.
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By Ironmaker:

I'm glad I bought an FN SLP MKI instead.  I've fed everything from  light loaded 7 1/2 shot to 3" mag slugs and buckshot and not a hiccup.
Yeah well Mossberg $619 on Gunsamerica:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/935295507/Guns/Shotguns/Mossberg-Shotguns/Autoloaders/Mossberg_930_SPX.htm

And FN SLP MKI $975

http://www.gunsamerica.com/975758832/Guns/Shotguns/FNH-Fabrique-Nationale-Shotguns/Auto/Tactical/FN_SLP_MK1_Police_Shotgun_Auto_loader_12g.htm

So I don't think were really talking about the same thing here.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2010 6:02:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spaghettiWestern] [#8]
I bought the 930 SPX back in May and I had similar problems with light target loads.  Like many auto loaders, the precision machined parts need a break in period.  About 200 rounds of heavy buckshot, slugs, or magnum loads should be good enough to get it running smoothly.  Its like a different gun after the break in.  It eats everything I throw at it.  You'll love it, I promise.

edit* If you contact Mossberg customer service about the sight problem they will send you a new barrel with the updated sight design.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By spaghettiWestern:
I bought the 930 SPX back in May and I had similar problems with light target loads.  Like many auto loaders, the precision machined parts need a break in period.  About 200 rounds of heavy buckshot, slugs, or magnum loads should be good enough to get it running smoothly.  Its like a different gun after the break in.  It eats everything I throw at it.  You'll love it, I promise.

edit* If you contact Mossberg customer service about the sight problem they will send you a new barrel with the updated sight design.

Yeah I agree with this..Some auto shotguns just don't like light loads...That's why I don't use them in my semi auto shotguns..

I also have a 930 and have shot regular loads through it without issue..

Link Posted: 4/7/2010 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By spaghettiWestern:

My biggest complaint is this thing should have never left the factory. I didn't mention but it has a deep gouge that's about 6" long in the mag tube that's screwed into the reciever, why thye hell would they ship a gun like that? what is it a $3.00 part! Also what's the updated sight design?
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#11]
It sounds like you managed to pick up an early production run SPX.  When the 930 first came out many of them had the problems that you describe.  And you're right. The earlier versions should never have left the factory.  They managed to smooth out some of the rough spots in the design in later runs. (I managed to get one of these.)  The new front sight is basically a beefed up version of the old.  Wider gauge metal, and most importantly, not canted.

I've always had good experiences with Mossberg customer service.  Tell them about the sight problem and the mag tube. (Because you aren't going to see a mag tube flaw till after you purchase the gun right?)  Your warranty should take care of getting a new barrel, and it may even cover the mag tube as being defected.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Should have bought an SLP Mk 1 and been done with it.  Ya get what ya pay for.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Pro2AinPA:
Should have bought an SLP Mk 1 and been done with it.  Ya get what ya pay for.

Its hard to suggest that they are comparable since there is such a price difference. I bought the FN simply because I had the money to do so and trust FN to make a fine shotgun.

Not every 930 is like this, thats obvious. Send it back to mossberg and get them to fix it or return it and get something else. Its too bad a company would knowingly put out  a defective product, especially one that people would use to defend their lives.

Good luck getting it all sorted out.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Funny, I ran mine through a tactical shotgun class a few months ago and had maybe 4 failures to fully cycle with light loads. Which was about the same as the three guys running $2k Benelli M4's.

Shooting three gun is great, but if you're depending on an auto-loading shotgun as your last line of defense, then you are clearly insane.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#15]
My 930SPX has eaten everything except for the cheap Super X crap.  The remington bulk (100rd) pack from Walmart works great.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll give you $250 for it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a Benelli M1S90 that was picky to, its more about the OS than the quality of the gun

I just ran full house loads and it did fine
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Many guns won't cycle the cheap Winchester shells (Universals).  Hell, I even have a side by side gun that does like them.

Full power, premium shells should cycle however.  You may need a fluff and buff done on your chamber and more shells fired to break through the "teething" issues.

Hope it's not just a Lemon.  Send it back to Mossberg if things don't improve.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#19]
My 930 SPX has eaten everything #7 shot, buck and Slugs from (Federal, Remington, Winchester, Hornady: both low recoil, regular and mangum) the only thing I had problems with is Fiocchi low recoil buck which is 100 FPS slower then other low-recoil rounds.

My front sight was also canted but mossberg replaced the barrel for me.

FWIW, I paid $540.00 new on Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Most mossbergs have problems with light loads.  My 935 does.  And it probably has 2k+ rounds through it.  Basically any time you buy a gun chambered in 3" or bigger, your going to have problems with light 2 3/4" loads.  The gas system wasn't designed for such a light load.
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By racinfast002:
Most mossbergs have problems with light loads.  My 935 does.  And it probably has 2k+ rounds through it.  Basically any time you buy a gun chambered in 3" or bigger, your going to have problems with light 2 3/4" loads.  The gas system wasn't designed for such a light load.

My FN SLP Mk1 is chambered for 3" shells and I've burned through 800 2 3/4" Wal Mart cheap loads with zero malfs.
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Pro2AinPA:
Originally Posted By racinfast002:

My FN SLP Mk1 is chambered for 3" shells and I've burned through 800 2 3/4" Wal Mart cheap loads with zero malfs.

Same, my FN has never had any issues with light bird loads
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Of course, I got a whole load of crap about how the $399 Stoeger S2000 Tactical was a POS because the inside of the receiver wasn't polished or some crap like that.  It runs as well as any of the LE Benelli SG's I had, only lighter........
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#24]
As much as I like the 590A1s, go with the FN SLP if you want a semi-auto for less than Benelli prices.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 2:54:56 AM EDT
[#25]
THe Winchester birdshot is so shitty it can lock up an 870.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I used my 930SPX in Ayoob's LFI II then LFI III, and then in tow of Marty Hayes Tactical shotgun courses.

I didn't have time to clean it in the last two classes.  It always fored fupp load everything, but had a failure with the Federal reduced load.  It will not consistantly shoot Winchester #7 shot, but will eat up the Fiocchi #7 shot.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Deep gouges and canted sights?
Did you bother to look at it before you bought it?
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't have a dog in this fight. I own a FN SLP.

Two of my friends own 930 SPXs. Jorge's had the canted front sight. Other then that it has worked like a charm. I've put cheap light bird shot to 3 inch magnum slug. It has worked without a problem. James claimed his was not feeding properly. Went to the range with him and he shot number 8 bird shot. Wouldn't function properly. I grabbed the shotgun and it worked like a charm.

What I've noticed is that they're really shoulder sensitive. You have to hold them tight, because if you don't it will limp wrist. James wasn't properly shouldering the shotgun.  

I'm not impressed in the quality of the 930 SPX, but then against I'm not impressed by most of Mossberg's products. They just seem cheap. Do they work? Yup.... do I like them? Nope.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 8:20:24 AM EDT
[#29]
my buddy ran his in a shotgun class and had 0 issues.  He "broke it in" with 3 inch shells - about 50 then cleaned and lubed it.  It ran fine and I kind of like the way it shoots....
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I guess it is a good thing I didn't read your post before I picked up my 930 SPX last week.  I had my first opportunity to try it out this morning, and ran several different loads though it without a single hiccup.  I had my 870 with me too, and it couldn't digest the Federal low brass bird loads very well, but the Mossberg had no problems.

I do agree on the stock height, though.  However, there should have been some spacers in the box with your shotgun that allow you to change the stock height.  I'm going to try that first before getting a cheek pad.
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Man,  hope this isn't the case with the newer ones.  Just talked a friend into buying the 930 over the SLP.  So far it shoots a mixed bag of cheap winchester #7s to highbrass with no issues.  Should know more this weekend
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By htony1:
Man,  hope this isn't the case with the newer ones.  Just talked a friend into buying the 930 over the SLP.  So far it shoots a mixed bag of cheap winchester #7s to highbrass with no issues.  Should know more this weekend

What did you use as an argument for the 930 over the SLP?

The SLP is a far superior shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By htony1:

I just bought a 28" vent rib field model I shortened and use for 3 gun. The thing cycles loads that locked up my 870....

Feels/looks like junk, but could not be more reliable.
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#34]
I never got an IM about my offer of $250  
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#35]
I just acquired mine in a store.  No finish issues but I looked mine over.  I only plan to shoot high velocity out of this.  I'm not messing with low recoil loads.

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#36]
I have had mine for almost three years now and have around 1500 rounds of mostly bird though it.  Great gun and I have had very few jams.  I would send it back and see if they can fix it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Never had issuese with mine, although I usually use my Benelli M2 Tactical....
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#38]
I can't say I've had a single issue with my 930 SPX in any way, shape or form. It cycles in a hurry and eats everything I've fed it. No regrets whatsoever.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, you should talk to their CS until they get you squared away.
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I am not writing to defend my 930spx (which I adore), but to tell you how mine broke in.  Started with winchester 7.5 walmart target loads and it ran like poo-poo, all failure to extract/eject.  Then, ran some 1375fps buck and slugs and had zero issues.  Now that she is broken in, can run absolutely anything as long as I keep a good stiff shoulder when shooting low-velocity/target loads.  I hope you have sent your Gen 1 930spx back to Mossberg for the free upgrades/recall type service.  Mine is a Gen 2 (no cool charging handle included so replaced mine with the doorknob style from Nordic Components).  Gen 3 930's are the excellent shotguns that should have been released from the beginning and worth every penny.  The pistol guys at the range love watching me vaporize a body target with 9 12 gauge rounds as quick as I can pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Or just pick up a used 1100 for a couple of hundred bucks and call it a day...
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a 930 and once the factory changed out the canted front sight barrel for a new barrel it has been fine.  I use mine for fun at the range from time to time but my Benelli pump is my home defense gun.  I just don't trust a semi-auto enough, or at least until I can afford a FN or Benelli semi-auto.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 12:36:33 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a tristar viper that will eat any shell kent or steel shot you feed it but, light Winchester loads not gonna happen.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#43]
I have a 930 but mine is the JM pro , the chromed parts probly make a difference . Its ran perfect from day one . I can load the tube with 3" slugs and 7/8 oz # 7 light loads and its eats them all . It also has light recoil compared to most other semi's that I've shot too .  We have several at work and I've not heard of any of them having issues with them either .
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Hmm, love mine.  Eats the cheap bulk box target loads I buy from walmart and I like the sights a alot.  It has been used as my 3gun shotgun for several years now.  Only changes were to upgrade the safety and charging handle to larger styles for easier manipulation and I added a side saddle.  It has been a great gun.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#45]
I dont have the 930 SPX so i dont knwo if this will help or not but i picked up a  used but in very good condition SAR (made in Turkey) 12 ga semi-auto at a gunshow (at a friends advice) and the first time i took it out i was using Walmart WInchester bird shot and it was nothing more than a single shot. Thinking i had bought a lemon shotgun, i took it to my local gunsmith and he said it was the ammo. He basically said the Winchester sold at Walmart was not "hot" enough to cycle the gun. He took it to the back and ran 5 rounds of a brand called RIO and it cycled beautifully. It sure made me feel a whole lot better.

OP, maybe the ammo is the problem. Try the RIO brand. its in a brown box. It sure worked for mine. And I would think Mossberg would make things right on the barrel/sight.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 4:58:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Versamax Tactical FTW!  

Not a fair comparison as the Versamax cot me $1200!  FN SLP is my next gun.  I also really like my Rem 11-87P but, again, a much more expensive semi-auto - and it doesn't like wimpy loads either.

Link Posted: 12/25/2012 5:13:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Funny, lot of guys love them for entry level 3 gun.  

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#48]
No SPX, but my VEPR 12 eats everything except for the low-recoil crap (had a couple of FTE's out of the 25 round box)

Ate all of these 100%

Picture of the suspect

Link Posted: 6/22/2013 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By JIP:
TAG because I was thinking about picking one of these up some day....

Don't let his post dissuade you. There are many of us 930 owners that haven't experienced any or have had minor problems. You rarely see a topic; My "insert gun here" works 100% of the time. The only time you see threads like this is when someone isn't happy with theirs. I've owned mine for a little over 2 1/2 years, it has fed approx 700 rounds, I have had some problems with soft walled, cheap, bulk ammo. I use Federal 000/00 Buck, #1 Buck, and all types of slugs without  single malfunction. I shoot 3" and 2 1/4", and I don't have to monkey with the gas system like some semi auto's. I will tell you it likes to run wet, that is where most people experience issue's, they don't properly lubricate it. It will shoot low recoil rounds like #1 Buck,and 00 Buck, but when you get into the BB, and value pack stuff I get an occasional ejection issue. The sights are great, you just have to know how to adjust them correctly. Federal FliteControl is the best by far.

Once you learn what ammo the gun runs best with, you are GTG. Some shooters don't understand that you have to practice with the ammo you are going to use for defensive use. Those are the ones claiming the 930 sucks. Any firearm should be tested with a variety of ammo, that goes with AR15's, H&K's, Glocks, M&P's, and yes even AK47 variants.

The bottom line is take things with a grain of salt. Mossberg did have some problems with canted sights early on, for the most part many issue's have been remedied with the newer models, but the only way you'll know is to try it out yourself. They don't last long on the shelves or the EE, and that does mean something.

Link Posted: 6/22/2013 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By Ranger431:

I can't say I've had a single issue with my 930 SPX in any way, shape or form. It cycles in a hurry and eats everything I've fed it. No regrets whatsoever.

My experience as well.

My 930 SPX has been a great shotgun, eats everything, zero issues.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top