Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2012 1:04:21 PM EDT
I want to relocate to NYS from Florida . I would like to secure employment as an armed security officer before I move. From what I determined there is no way to get a pistol permit until I am a NYS resident? Any other options?
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope. Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nope. Sorry.

Depending on the company they may be able to push one through or even file him for peace officer status in rather short order.  It all depends...executive protection companies in NYC for example, but if you are planning to guard a warehouse in East Bumble...probly not...
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#3]
nope, not gonna happen.  plus you have to be a resident in the state for x amount of years, I forget how long before you are able to apply.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I want to relocate to NYS from Florida . I would like to secure employment as an armed security officer before I move. From what I determined there is no way to get a pistol permit until I am a NYS resident? Any other options?

If you find a job before you move the company you work for may be able to expedite the process. Being materially employed by a company in NYS is one of the few conditions that allows non NYS resident to get a pistol license.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 4:15:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I want to relocate to NYS from Florida.

Why on Earth do you want to do that?  You like snow, high taxes and no freedom????

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 4:33:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why on Earth do you want to do that?  You like snow, high taxes and no freedom????

Most of my family lives there and my dad is sick, so I wanted to live closer. Also, the area here has gone to hell and I want a better place to raise my son.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 5:01:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If you find a job before you move the company you work for may be able to expedite the process. Being materially employed by a company in NYS is one of the few conditions that allows non NYS resident to get a pistol license.

This. Contrary to popular belief you do not need to be a NYS resident to get a pistol license in NY.  

3. Applications. (a) Applications shall be made and  renewed,  in  the

case  of  a  license  to  carry  or possess a pistol or revolver, to the

licensing officer in the city or county, as the case may be,  where  the

applicant resides, is principally employed or has his principal place of

business  as  merchant  or storekeeper; and, in the case of a license as

gunsmith or dealer in firearms, to  the  licensing  officer  where  such

place  of  business  is located.
Blank applications shall, except in the

city of New York, be approved as to form by the superintendent of  state

police.  An  application  shall  state  the  full  name,  date of birth,

residence, present occupation of each person or individual  signing  the

same,  whether  or  not he is a citizen of the United States, whether or

not he complies with  each  requirement  for  eligibility  specified  in

subdivision  one of this section and such other facts as may be required

to show the good character, competency and integrity of each  person  or

individual  signing  the application. An application shall be signed and

verified by the applicant. Each individual signing an application  shall

submit  one photograph of himself and a duplicate for each required copy

of the application. Such photographs shall have been taken within thirty

days prior to filing the application. In case of a license  as  gunsmith

or  dealer  in  firearms,  the photographs submitted shall be two inches

square, and the application shall also state the previous occupation  of

each  individual  signing the same and the location of the place of such

business, or of the bureau, agency, subagency, office or  branch  office

for  which  the license is sought, specifying the name of the city, town

or village, indicating the street and number and otherwise  giving  such

apt description as to point out reasonably the location thereof. In such

case,  if the applicant is a firm, partnership or corporation, its name,

date and place of formation, and principal place of  business  shall  be

stated.  For  such  firm or partnership, the application shall be signed

and verified by each individual composing or intending  to  compose  the

same, and for such corporation, by each officer thereof.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of my family lives there and my dad is sick, so I wanted to live closer. Also, the area here has gone to hell and I want a better place to raise my son.

http://www.nassaucivilservice.com/NCCSWeb/homepage.nsf/0/EBED41AF9FE7EC14852579C9004EF495
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 6:55:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 7:21:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The statute technically allows for a non-resident to get a permit.  

Never heard of it happening, though I'm sure that it has a few times.

I cannot find the story at the moment but either the NY Post or NY Times had reported in a story about gun control about a rock group that was playing NYC and some members were bringing their pistols with them.  NYPD arranged to meet them on their bus and process permits for them right there.  The kind of service no ordinary peon citizen would ever get in NYC.

Link Posted: 10/22/2012 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#11]
The N.Y. AG stated in a formal opinion to the G.A. AG back around '96 that there is nothing in state law that allows the issuing of pistol licenses to non-residents.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I cannot find the story at the moment but either the NY Post or NY Times had reported in a story about gun control about a rock group that was playing NYC and some members were bringing their pistols with them.  NYPD arranged to meet them on their bus and process permits for them right there.  The kind of service no ordinary peon citizen would ever get in NYC.

That was Steven Tyler and Joe Perry of Aerosmith.  NYPD Capt. in charge of licensing got a free limo ride and backstage pass to fingerprint them at a Meadowlands concert.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Getting a job as an armed guard will expedite the process, they will ask for a letter from your employer. Though they will drag their damned feet. They act like sulking children sometimes " oh do I have to? Okay fine but it's going to take six months!"
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 5:42:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

G.I.'s do it all the time.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 5:53:32 AM EDT
[#16]
the problem is that you'll have to prove you need it pretty much

And I know the other posters quoted laws that stated you don't have to be a resident, but.... each county specifically states that you have to be a resident of that county in order to obtain a permit.  Is that some way to circumvent state law or something?  Like, "you don't have to be a state resident but you have to be a county resident" kind of bullshit?

But I ... Hmm this seems odd.  Back when I left NY each county also had their own rules on how long you had to be a resident before getting a permit.  Some said 6 months, some said 12... I've been randomly looking at different county sites and haven't seen that requirement...

The requirements I have seen though are pretty much the following:

• Must be a New York State / [whatever county] resident.  (Sometimes the "new york state" part isn't even there!)

• Must be at least 21 years old.

• Must have four character references.

• Must attend a Handgun Safety Course with one of our certified instructors and furnish this office with proof of completion of the course. Fees and locations differ, but it is the applicant's responsibility to make arrangements for the course.

And, at least back in 2010 sometimes those character references also had to be residents from your county.  Some counties even stipulated how long they had to have known you for... pretty much making it effectively impossible to move to NY (or even change counties) and apply for a gun permit.

Or as my BF said... putting in so much red tape people just give up.

Were they forced to remove the individual county restrictions then?  The ones about "time as resident" or limiting your references to people in your current county, etc?
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

G.I.'s do it all the time.

And  bank messengers, security guards, private detectives, jewelers, diamond dealers and a host of other NYS non-residents who have a business/employment relationship in the county where the application for a CCL is made.

Link Posted: 10/23/2012 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone know if someone who is legit employed as a "Certified Protection Professional" e.g. doing personal security - do they go through the same hassle/process as a civilian or is it more stream-lined because of their employer?  E.g. do the legit private security companies have ways to get people permits more easily than civilians?

Yes.  Not only licenses but peace officer status for assault weapons and standard capacity magazines.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 4:53:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:01:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone know if someone who is legit employed as a "Certified Protection Professional" e.g. doing personal security - do they go through the same hassle/process as a civilian or is it more stream-lined because of their employer?  E.g. do the legit private security companies have ways to get people permits more easily than civilians?

Yes.  Not only licenses but peace officer status for assault weapons and standard capacity magazines.

Can you elaborate, and provide examples?  I've heard these rumors here, but never in real life.  The closest thing example that I could find is some quasi private entities like the Metropolitan Museum of Art getting their guards "Special Patrolman" status.  Special Patrolman exist only in NYC though, and I've only heard of that status being given to guards at hospitals, museums, etc.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you elaborate, and provide examples?  I've heard these rumors here, but never in real life.  The closest thing example that I could find is some quasi private entities like the Metropolitan Museum of Art getting their guards "Special Patrolman" status.  Special Patrolman exist only in NYC though, and I've only heard of that status being given to guards at hospitals, museums, etc.

One of my friends showed up with a new Glock and a 15 rd mag one day, we worked out that this is what had happened behind the scenes from his new employer.  Lived outside of NYC, but I believe it was a NYC based company.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NYC Special Patrolman can not carry on their shield.  They need a pistol permit.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Many years ago I shot with a group of Canadians and they all had NY carry permits.Chautauqua Co judge , whoever he was 30 years
ago issued them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Many years ago I shot with a group of Canadians and they all had NY carry permits.Chautauqua Co judge , whoever he was 30 years
ago issued them.

I'm not surprised; Trap Shooting was/is very big in the Northern & Western parts of the State. The old-timers from the Team I used to shoot with often spoke of going to Clubs in Canada and them coming to the States to shoot in the Leagues, of course that was at least 20 years ago.
(There are at least 15 Clubs with Trap Teams in Jefferson,  Lewis, and St. Lawrence Counties)
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

ago issued them.
So would they have had to own homes in NY?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top