Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2008 6:41:02 AM EDT
dick at Dicks said its state law. What did I miss?

I apologize if this has been done already..  I usually buy online. But someone gave me gift cards..
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 6:59:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Handgun caliber?
They will not (store policy) even if it is for a carbine.
Go to your mom & pop shop. Support small businesses.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 7:08:52 AM EDT
[#2]
will ma and pa take my gift cards??? Because I dont need anything else from Mr Dicks.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 7:21:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Why do you think they are call "DICKS"? -

That policy blows - !!!
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Um...  I think it's the law now in NJ, not just policy.

This WAS on the NRA site.. link's not working now.

BEGIN QUOTE

"New Jersey Governor Signs Anti-Gun Legislation into Law

Monday, January 14, 2008

On Sunday, January 13, Governor Jon Corzine (D) once again vilified New Jersey’s law-abiding gun owners by signing S2470/A2602, S2934/A4620, and S2431 into law.

S2470/A2602 criminalizes the transfer of handgun ammunition to anyone who does not have valid New Jersey firearms ID card, handgun carry or purchase permit. While intended to prevent criminals from obtaining ammunition, the legislation will only impact honest gun owners, since criminals are unlikely to obtain ammunition through legal channels. The legislation was amended to exempt shotgun shells, the majority of long-gun ammunition and non-fixed ammunition for muskets and muzzleloaders. The bill will, however, allow New Jersey residents and out-of-state firearm owners to purchase ammunition at the range for competition or target practice.

S2934/A4620 as originally drafted, would have held honest gun owners criminally and civilly liable if their lost or stolen firearm is later used in a crime. Even though the bills were amended to provide the legal owner 36 hours upon discovery to report the loss or theft of a firearm, NRA still opposed this legislation, as it holds honest gun-owners financially responsible for being victims of theft.

S2431 is an overly broad attempt to address gang violence that could have unintended consequences for law-abiding gun owners. Among other things, it criminalizes and severely punish the mere possession of certain firearms, including registered handguns, even while engaged in lawful activities.

Thank you to all NRA members in the Garden State who answered the call in the fight to preserve our Second Amendment rights. NRA-ILA will continue the battle to reverse these onerous restrictions on law-abiding gun owners."

END OF QUOTE.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#5]
It is the law now.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#6]
FID not needed for anything other than .25auto, .32auto, .38SW, etc......

This was not in the Bill.  How can they add it?

2C:58-3.3  "Handgun ammunition" defined; sale, purchase, etc., regulated; violation, fourth degree crime.

1. a. As used in this act, "handgun ammunition" means ammunition specifically designed to be used only in a handgun.  "Handgun ammunition" shall not include blank ammunition, air gun pellets, flare gun ammunition, nail gun ammunition, paint ball ammunition, or any non-fixed ammunition.

b.No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, or receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire handgun ammunition unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a manufacturer, wholesaler, or dealer under this chapter or is the holder of and possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, a valid copy of a permit to purchase a handgun, or a valid permit to carry a handgun and first exhibits such card or permit to the seller, donor, transferor or assignor.

c.No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of handgun ammunition to a person who is under 21 years of age.

d.The provisions of this section shall not apply to a collector of firearms or ammunition as curios or relics who purchases, receives, acquires, possesses, or transfers handgun ammunition which is recognized as being historical in nature or of historical significance.

e.A person who violates this section shall be guilty of a crime of the fourth degree, except that nothing contained herein shall be construed to prohibit the sale, transfer, assignment or disposition of handgun ammunition to or the purchase, receipt or acceptance of ammunition by a law enforcement agency or law enforcement official for law enforcement purposes.

f.Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the transfer of ammunition for use in a lawfully transferred firearm in accordance with the provisions of section 1 of P.L.1992, c.74 (C.2C:58-3.1), section 1 of P.L.1997, c.375 (C.2C:58-3.2) or section 14 of P.L.1979, c.179 (C.2C:58-6.1).

g.Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the sale of a de minimis amount of handgun ammunition at a firearms range operated by a licensed dealer; a law enforcement agency; a legally recognized military organization; or a rifle or pistol club which has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent for immediate use at that range.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Um...  I think it's the law now in NJ, not just policy.

This WAS on the NRA site.. link's not working now.

BEGIN QUOTE

"New Jersey Governor Signs Anti-Gun Legislation into Law

Monday, January 14, 2008

On Sunday, January 13, Governor Jon Corzine (D) once again vilified New Jersey’s law-abiding gun owners by signing S2470/A2602, S2934/A4620, and S2431 into law.

S2470/A2602 criminalizes the transfer of handgun ammunition to anyone who does not have valid New Jersey firearms ID card, HANDGUN CARRY or purchase permit. While intended to prevent criminals from obtaining ammunition, the legislation will only impact honest gun owners, since criminals are unlikely to obtain ammunition through legal channels. The legislation was amended to exempt shotgun shells, the majority of long-gun ammunition and non-fixed ammunition for muskets and muzzleloaders. The bill will, however, allow New Jersey residents and out-of-state firearm owners to purchase ammunition at the range for competition or target practice.

S2934/A4620 as originally drafted, would have held honest gun owners criminally and civilly liable if their lost or stolen firearm is later used in a crime. Even though the bills were amended to provide the legal owner 36 hours upon discovery to report the loss or theft of a firearm, NRA still opposed this legislation, as it holds honest gun-owners financially responsible for being victims of theft.

S2431 is an overly broad attempt to address gang violence that could have unintended consequences for law-abiding gun owners. Among other things, it criminalizes and severely punish the mere possession of certain firearms, including registered handguns, even while engaged in lawful activities.

Thank you to all NRA members in the Garden State who answered the call in the fight to preserve our Second Amendment rights. NRA-ILA will continue the battle to reverse these onerous restrictions on law-abiding gun owners."

END OF QUOTE.

It was 45 acp, So I should show him my florida nonres carry permit. Just to see him stutter ya ya ya still cant have it  
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#8]
When was this made law? My dad and I went shooting Saturday and the guy asked for the FID card for  7.62x39 and 5.56 ammo.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Just another dumb law that only affects lawful gun owner's in NJ.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just another dumb law that only affects lawful gun owner's in NJ.  

All laws only affect the lawful
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Wait, is this only for handgun ammo? Like I said, the guy at Ray's Sport Shop asked for an FID card for 7.62x39 and .223. Was he just wrong, or is it law for rifle ammo too?
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
FID not needed for anything other than .25auto, .32auto, .38SW, etc......

This was not in the Bill.  How can they add it?

2C:58-3.3  "Handgun ammunition" defined; sale, purchase, etc., regulated; violation, fourth degree crime.

1. a. As used in this act, "handgun ammunition" means ammunition specifically designed to be used only in a handgun.  "Handgun ammunition" shall not include blank ammunition, air gun pellets, flare gun ammunition, nail gun ammunition, paint ball ammunition, or any non-fixed ammunition.

b.No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, or receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire handgun ammunition unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a manufacturer, wholesaler, or dealer under this chapter or is the holder of and possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, a valid copy of a permit to purchase a handgun, or a valid permit to carry a handgun and first exhibits such card or permit to the seller, donor, transferor or assignor.

c.No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of handgun ammunition to a person who is under 21 years of age.

d.The provisions of this section shall not apply to a collector of firearms or ammunition as curios or relics who purchases, receives, acquires, possesses, or transfers handgun ammunition which is recognized as being historical in nature or of historical significance.

e.A person who violates this section shall be guilty of a crime of the fourth degree, except that nothing contained herein shall be construed to prohibit the sale, transfer, assignment or disposition of handgun ammunition to or the purchase, receipt or acceptance of ammunition by a law enforcement agency or law enforcement official for law enforcement purposes.

f.Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the transfer of ammunition for use in a lawfully transferred firearm in accordance with the provisions of section 1 of P.L.1992, c.74 (C.2C:58-3.1), section 1 of P.L.1997, c.375 (C.2C:58-3.2) or section 14 of P.L.1979, c.179 (C.2C:58-6.1).

g.Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the sale of a de minimis amount of handgun ammunition at a firearms range operated by a licensed dealer; a law enforcement agency; a legally recognized military organization; or a rifle or pistol club which has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent for immediate use at that range.

I went back through the evolution of A2602 and it appears that the phrase in green in 1b was, in fact, in the wording of the bill from the beginning.  

One of the things that was removed during the legislative process was a prohibition on the POSSESSION of said ammunition without the required paperwork.

[MajorBurkhalter] Your papers, please [/MajorBurkhalter]
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wait, is this only for handgun ammo? Like I said, the guy at Ray's Sport Shop asked for an FID card for 7.62x39 and .223. Was he just wrong, or is it law for rifle ammo too?

Yes, this bill, as worded by the legislature, is only for a specific subset of Handgun ammo.

But Mistress Anne an her Flying Monkey Squad have licensed dealers so afraid of persecution prosecution (sorry, Freudian slip) that stores like Dicks and Rays are going that extra mile and enforcing it on ALL AMMO.  After all, they have their jobs and their bottom lines to protect.

It sure does sound like Nuremberg here in the PRNJ:
"I was only following orders"
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, this bill, as worded by the legislature, is only for a specific subset of Handgun ammo.

But Mistress Anne an her Flying Monkey Squad have licensed dealers so afraid of persecution prosecution (sorry, Freudian slip) that stores like Dicks and Rays are going that extra mile and enforcing it on ALL AMMO.  After all, they have their jobs and their bottom lines to protect.

It sure does sound like Nuremberg here in the PRNJ:
"I was only following orders"

It might have only been this one guy. Last time the lady just asked if it was for a rifle or handgun and didn't ask for the FID if it was rifle.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#15]
SCRNEWED  in   JERSEY
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#16]
One could also argue that "specifically designed" means "originally designed", which would include most handgun ammunition.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Just buy online or take a run out to PA...take RT 80 to the border - 5 minutes past Super Wallyword will supply everything you need at a decent price. I run out a few times a year just to load up on bulk Federal .22 550 packs. No "papers" required  here"...Makes
"John has a long mustache"

repeat:

"John has a long mustache"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top