Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/3/2007 7:40:36 PM EDT
UTICA Area event in it's 5th year.....Arrive PROPOSED  DATE: July 6 sleep over at out camp right on club grounds, we sight in friday, set up camp, pass the hat and eat , tell lies and make fun of AIMLESS (Just kidding)  around the campfire.

Space is limited to the first 25....I have 8 slots GONE already!

Shoot what you bring in challenging and fun events that  SP10 and I think up in our tortured minds.

We had a 3 gun match last year that we'll repeat.

The MAD MINUTE balloon shoot will repeat from a few years ago.

Thanks to FP1201 we will be holding a RIMFIRE event this year... most likely an interesting event with reactive targets!!!!!

Come join us in the hills surrounding UTICA, we stay up all night fending off the advances of inbred hillbillies by building up the fire and swaping stories and lies! No inbred hillbillies are injured during the campout...LOL!

edited by FMJunkie just to fix the code in the title!
Link Posted: 5/4/2007 2:59:06 AM EDT
[#1]
This would be only a hour drive for me, I would love to go to this. I need to check my school schedule , I signed up for a summer class at the local CC. How fast do the spots usually get taken up?
Link Posted: 5/4/2007 4:05:14 AM EDT
[#2]
as of right now, i want to say i can make this one too!! I dont see a problem with it so count me in. if something goes terrable wrong(or i run out of ammo before then! lol) I'll let you know in advance so you can fill my slot. but for now, im in!
Link Posted: 5/4/2007 5:13:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This would be only a hour drive for me, I would love to go to this. I need to check my school schedule , I signed up for a summer class at the local CC. How fast do the spots usually get taken up?

anyone here that posts has first right of refusal...except for the spots that are already reserved.
So Far from AFCOM:
SP10
Adirondack47
FP1201
Goodorbit and Guest
that FALGuy
Aimless
EDAvilaSR
Screen-name
2 guys from FALfiles.
Shark15
Brain plus 1
Abominog and Guest
Roger Ball
ARtraffic and MPi-KMS-72
ThatFalGuy2 plus 2
Doug T
HKgnnr
thirsty
captainbarred

Link Posted: 5/4/2007 6:02:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey-ooooooooo
Link Posted: 5/4/2007 6:07:36 AM EDT
[#5]
As of right now I can do it my last class is July 5th. I would like to sign up.
Link Posted: 5/4/2007 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#6]
ok, so i'm a noob to this whole thing. is there anyway you guys could give me and idea of what guns im going to need to bring?.......or just bring em' all!! lol
from what i gather from the first post i'll need both AR's, my .22, and what else? any pistols? whats the "list of events" that you guys will be holding? and what time should people start showing up on friday?

sorry for the 20 questions game, but i like to be prepared.lol
Link Posted: 5/4/2007 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
ok, so i'm a noob to this whole thing. is there anyway you guys could give me and idea of what guns im going to need to bring?.......or just bring em' all!! lol
from what i gather from the first post i'll need both AR's, my .22, and what else? any pistols? whats the "list of events" that you guys will be holding? and what time should people start showing up on friday?

sorry for the 20 questions game, but i like to be prepared.lol

Well, the actual shooting events haven't been finalized, but bringing everything is a good idea I absolutely want to include pistol events, but past events have focused heavily on rifles. This is fairly informal.

Last year, I wanted to set up a small IPSC stage which you could do with pistol and/or rifle on the pistol range, but time and weather foiled us. We shot primarily at the 100 and 200 yd berms.

Link Posted: 5/4/2007 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#8]
it's shoot what you got..the only exception is NO 50BMGs

Marc has been a great help in the past and I'm sure we'll have a great time.

I have to get hold of the club president and make sure the date isn't taken...so I'll post  a heads-up this weekend

Last year we had a semi-auto 1919 on the line and a Ruger .44 carbine....
Link Posted: 5/5/2007 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#9]
If I wanted to come to this event are there going to be rifle only events. Since I dont have a Pistol permit. Also for the rimfire event, what would be a good .22 to pickup for this?
Link Posted: 5/6/2007 4:57:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If I wanted to come to this event are there going to be rifle only events. Since I dont have a Pistol permit. Also for the rimfire event, what would be a good .22 to pickup for this?

Any inexpensive .22 rifle would be fine.

Marlin, remington or ruger are good bets.
Link Posted: 5/6/2007 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Count me in. My AR should be finished by the end of this month and I'm going to pick up a ruger 10/22 in the next week or two. How much does this event cost to attend?
Link Posted: 5/6/2007 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Count me in. My AR should be finished by the end of this month and I'm going to pick up a ruger 10/22 in the next week or two. How much does this event cost to attend?

The event is FREE, if you so deem to join our club it's $20.00 and if you want to partcipate in dinner friday night and breakfast sunday we pass the hat for (5-15 bucks is the usual donation) toward groceries.

We sight-in  friday afternoon, go grocery shopping and do firepit set-up  early evening, and eat and swap  stories after dark.

EDIT : we can also make a donation to the club if you would like.
Link Posted: 5/6/2007 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#13]
So what time friday should I arrive? Also what time saturday does everybody usually leave by? Thanks for the info, im definately looking forward to this.
Link Posted: 5/7/2007 2:54:15 AM EDT
[#14]
...purty sure I can make it this year.....so sign me up .......have to splain it to the social director here first an' git approval, but don't see any scheduling
problems (yet)
Link Posted: 5/7/2007 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So what time friday should I arrive? Also what time saturday does everybody usually leave by? Thanks for the info, im definately looking forward to this.

After 12 noon will be fine
Link Posted: 5/8/2007 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Guys I'm going go to need to buy the stuff to campout there friday night and have nothing. Besides a tent and sleeping bag what else is needed or should I get? I haven't slept in a tent in a long time so I want to make sure I have what is needed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2007 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#17]
There is a building (clubhouse?)  that some guys sleep in, rather than pitch a tent. You would likely want a foam pad to put your bag on if you choose to do this. No need to buy a tent. Hell, its in July. A couple blankets will work as well.

There are also bathrooms with running water at the club. Its not exactly roughing it.

For you first timers, this is a really nice place to have a camp.

Ad1, I'm guessing this weekend does NOT coincide with the CMP matches?

Link Posted: 5/8/2007 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info. I'll bring a tent in case it rains
Link Posted: 5/8/2007 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
We had a 3 gun match last year that we'll repeat.

Actually, I'm thinking of a "4 gun" team event this year.

5 bowling pins at 10 yards-pistol-offhand
5 pins at 100, poodleshooter and battlerifle-offhand. And yes, beta mags are allowed for the hilarity
5 pins at 200-precision rifle-prone

The timed "4 gun" event will start with the pistol. Once the 10 yard pins are down, on to the 100yd pins. Once they are down, the precision guy finishes the match. Best team time gets bragging rights!

if not enough pistols in camp, or lack of interest, then we can go back to the 3 gun. Or even bring in rimfires and pins at 50yds offhand. any number of variations are possible.

If anyone is interested, we can also do my 5 target precision rifle match. Those from last year likely remember this set of targets.

If any interest, we can also set up a simple IPSC type match.

We tend to run out of time before we run out of events.
Link Posted: 5/8/2007 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info. I'll bring a tent in case it rains

I'm pretty sure the clubhouse has a decent roof
Link Posted: 5/9/2007 1:50:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Space is limited to the first 25....I have 8 slots GONE already!

Thanks to FP1201 we will be holding a RIMFIRE event this year... most likely an interesting event with reactive targets!!!!!

Presuamably one of those slots is mine.  

With the astronomical prices and dificulty in finding surplus ammo, I thought it would be fun to bring a case of .22 ammo and a few rifles.  There will be as many metal "reactive" targers as can be made/found/bought and you're encouraged to bring your own too!  If we want to shoot bullseyes, that's not a problem, single shot beater that belonged to Great Grand-Pa or tricked out 10/22, all are welcome.
Anybody got an American 180 in Class III?  
Link Posted: 5/9/2007 5:17:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm still trying to get a commitment on the date from Mike, but so far it sounds like we have a great event shaping up here!

Thank you all of the "regulars" for all your help!

I couldn't do this without you!
Link Posted: 5/9/2007 5:18:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If anyone is interested, we can also do my 5 target precision rifle match. Those from last year likely remember this set of targets.

Interested!

No talk of a doughnut match?
Link Posted: 5/9/2007 5:51:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Well, I think we maybe spent too much time with the precision rifles last time. Plus, you beat me at the donut match

I can bring the targets, no worries!
Link Posted: 5/10/2007 5:45:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
And yes, beta mags are allowed for the hilarity

Hey, that was my only bling bling, and I didn't run out at all...at all!!

AD1, I have a couple of out of stater's (Ohio and Mass.) that would like to attend from another site (Armory), and one local Albanite. How full do you think it will be this year, looks like a good interest already.

I hope Mike allows the dates, got me out of selling shirts with Sue for the Boilermaker on that Friday and Saturday, for the run on Sunday.
Link Posted: 5/10/2007 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Dang it, I'm in! I was holding out for some relatives that might be in town that weekend, but hey... PRIORITIES!  

Sign me up, Wade!
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#27]
We have a definate YES on Date from the club president!
We have a few spots available.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Have the "events" been finalized yet?
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Have the "events" been finalized yet?

Other than a rough idea, they won't really be finalized until just before they are shot. This isn't a formal fully planned event. There is a lot of room for shooter/attendee input.
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 5:16:56 AM EDT
[#30]
As SP10 said, we have a fluid operation, very laid back and we WANT IMPUT from the attendees, SP10 is a talented guy and between the regulars that act as staff on these things everyone has a SAFE and GOOD time.

The only requirements are that you handle yourself in a SAFE and SPORSTSMAN-LIKE manner, it doesn't matter if you've been shooting all of your life or are a new convert to the smell of burning powder and ballistic paper punching.....

This is a event to just have fun at, no real competition, just alot of friendly competition and some ribbing between friends.

These different events are for bragging rights only... no trophy ....no fanfare, other than the fellow competitors cheering for you when you are on the line.
Link Posted: 5/18/2007 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Are you going to do a high-power shoot?
Link Posted: 5/18/2007 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#32]
If folks want to do a simulated CMP match, we certainly can. I can run the same type of shoot as I do at Otisco. Target cost would be minimal.

Here are some of the event proposals so far:

1) Team event, 3-4 shooters, on bowling pins. Pistol/offhand rifles/prone, precision rifles, @ 10, 100, 200 yds.
2) Rimfire event-(FP1201)
3) IPSC type event rifle and/or pistol
4) CMP type match @ 100yds
5) Precision rifle tactical match. "5 target," @100 or 200yds, to make it really interesting.
6) Balloon 200yd shoot
7) ?

I think that will fill up the day quite nicely, and then some.

If you guys have any favorites from above, please post. If you have any other ideas, please add to the list. There should be something for everyone.
Link Posted: 5/18/2007 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Adirondack1, please add Doug T to the list of attendees. Looks like GATM is getting full.
Link Posted: 5/18/2007 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#34]
what is the mad minute balloon shoot? Sounds interesting. Is this the one listed above at 200 yds
Link Posted: 5/19/2007 12:31:36 AM EDT
[#35]
SP10 Alex and Zion are comming right? I know Alex said something to me about it last weekend.
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 7:50:39 AM EDT
[#36]
May be interested in attending, however I won't be able to make it on Friday - Could I still attend the shoot on Saturday the 7th?

If so, what time does it start/end?

John
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 8:14:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Yes, you can come on Saturday. We will probably be shooting around 10AM until ? Its safe to say until 4-5PM, if not longer.
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Okay great, and if there is still room, then mark me in for Saturday the 7th - Sending off IMs to Adirondack and SP10.
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 2:59:39 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Okay great, and if there is still room, then mark me in for Saturday the 7th - Sending off IMs to Adirondack and SP10.

Added you to the list last night!
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#40]
One of the threads in GD got me thinking. Even though this is a casual event should I get or have any type of gear to hold my mags/ammo and other stuff or is a mag in my back pocket ok? Anyrecommendations?
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#41]
If I run any IPSC type stuff (which I hope to do), I'll be doing something simple like an El Presidente drill, which requires 1 mag change. You can simply stick the spare mag in your waistband or pocket. No need to get anything special. None of the other events require anything special either, that I am aware of. A back pocket makes a fine mag carrier for casual shooting.

You can also check out other folks gear, and see what you like (or don't like).
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
One of the threads in GD got me thinking. Even though this is a casual event should I get or have any type of gear to hold my mags/ammo and other stuff or is a mag in my back pocket ok? Anyrecommendations?

Buy a cheapo uncle mikes or fobus holster and a mag carrier and you'd be good to go for any handgun stuff.
An ALICE pouch, MOLLE or Chi-COM chest pouch for 15 bucks will hold more ammo than you'll need for anything we will do.
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy a cheapo uncle mikes or fobus holster and a mag carrier and you'd be good to go for any handgun stuff.
An ALICE pouch, MOLLE or Chi-COM chest pouch for 15 bucks will hold more ammo than you'll need for anything we will do.

I don't have a pistol permit () so I won't be able to take part in any of the handgun events but I think I'll pick up some type of cheap pouch for a couple of AR mags.
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Like I said we have a great time withwhatever you bring you'll shoot.
If you don't have some gun you'd like to try, most people will let you try theirs, just pick up ammo for whatever you'd like to try.

The CHI-COM Chest pouch from Major Surplus or Cheaper than dirt will suffice or a ALICE or MOLLE pouch for AR mags.

Most of our shooting is done from a static position like SP10 said, you can get away with pants pockets.

You'll have the ability to try out gear from other folks too.

Most of us bring trading stock of gear we don't need or have upgraded to something else, so bring what you have and buy/sell/trade gear with the rest of the guys.
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 5:37:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Adirondack1

I'll be bringin' one other shooter up with me okay, we'll be trying to get there fri
afternoon but might end up getting there in early evening.
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 6:00:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Please IM me if you want to do a CMP style match so I can gauge interest. It looks like we have upwards of 30 guys coming so I want the shooting events to flow as smooth as possible.

An official CMP match is 50 rds total: 20rds slowfire prone (20 min), 10 shots each rapid-fire prone and sitting (70 seconds with a mag change), and 10 shots offhand (10 minutes). It takes almost an hour to run 6 shooters through an official match, so I intend to run a shortened match, and probably limit it to 3 relays max. We will still do all positions, but faster. This is a great marksmanship assessor! I hope to start this after breakfast on Saturday, ~10AM. Wade, bring your ATV as a target runner!

I'll have a sign-up for the CMP style match starting Friday.

If you have never shot one, you will need some sort of shooting mat or blanket, as you will be laying on concrete. A sling is helpful, as is a spotting scope. These matches are usually iron sight only, but as this is informal, I really don't care. Shoot what you want. You will need a GOOD 100 yard zero.

I am also planning on running a simple IPSC drill with 3 targets. Each shooter will be able to do a timed El Presidente and a Mozambique. These will move along quickly. We can do these with rifle and pistol.

With the range limitations and number of shooters, we really can't do anything much more complicated.
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#47]
OK guys, let me tally those who are comming before I add more...

I know we are close.
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Just talked to HK and he told me about this shoot, still room?

from the comments, I am guessing that thatFalGuy brough his beta mag last shoot... let me just say I am sorry about that

how light-hearted are the competitions?  

I'll warn you now.. I suck LOL!!!

Link Posted: 6/5/2007 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
from the comments, I am guessing that thatFalGuy brough his beta mag last shoot... let me just say I am sorry about that

He shot on my team and we did pretty well. I was just teasing him. He didn't even have to empty it on the 5 pins at 100 yards

Lighthearted? Very.
Link Posted: 6/5/2007 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#50]
lol - I sold him the Beta - we were supposed to meet at the syracuse show but it didnt happen.

I still have an old Italian Carcano for him!!!

Well then I am definately in if there is still room
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top