Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2004 8:47:09 AM EDT
I'll probably be there on Saturday
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I missed the last show....hopefully we'll make this one.
Besides what the frig else is there to do in January.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Also planning on Saturday AM, unless weather dictates otherwise.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm so damn excited about a gunshow in Jan, I posted this twice! (damn dial-up!).
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn, I would so be there, but I have to be at Training from the 3rd-23rd of Jan outside of Chicago, IL I WILL be at the one here tho :

February 26-27, 2005 Horseheads Elks Club #2297, Horseheads

only a 120 tables, but hell its only a 5 minute drive.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
6 days
we meeting up like last time?
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#6]
How long a trip is that from Long Island?
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]
edit: Change of plans, still going sometime early Saturday---I can't plan on lunch

Hmmm, a pretty good drive from LI. Maybe 6-7 hours???? I am not sure.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Rochester is a long way from Long Island.  There is a couple comming up that are closer to LI and where I live... bigalsshows.com/ Jan, 15 and 16 at the Poughkeepsie Civic Center and then FEB 5 & 6 at "Tech City" in Kingston.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll be there on Sat. in the AM. if I don't have to work.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Anything going on in May?  I will be in Rochester from 5/12 to 5/16, and may have some free time.  
I have not seen any good shows here on Long Island yet.  

Bill H.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:23:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to try and go. Cant be sure though.

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Aimless, I know that the site is somewhat based in the Honeoye Falls/Rush sorta area, a guy at work and I (both mainly lurkers here) have wondered if any of you shoot at Rochester Brooks (since it's right there in the area) or one of the other clubs in the area?

Also, to stay on topic, I will probably be at the show early afternoon saturday, I need more XM193 :D
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I might be riding in with fp1201 on saturday morning - we were talking about it, anyways...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The Avilas live around Rochester  but a lot of the rest of us live around Syracuse. Ed has a lot of land out in the country that we shoot on sometimes or he comes to shoot with us in Syracuse. I don't know anyone personally who shoots at those ranges you mentioned.

Ah, my mistake. Finding faraway land seems to be the way to go :)

Thanks for the quick reply!
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Avilas live around Rochester  but a lot of the rest of us live around Syracuse. Ed has a lot of land out in the country that we shoot on sometimes or he comes to shoot with us in Syracuse. I don't know anyone personally who shoots at those ranges you mentioned.

Ah, my mistake. Finding faraway land seems to be the way to go :)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Paranoid-  I am from Rochester as well and I have been to the Rochester Brooks club and had a good time but I have land to shoot on in Victor and the Rush area. I am always looking to find people to shoot with in the area. Let me know if you are around. I just put togeher my new preban and I need to give it a ride. Snow shooting??

Sorry to hijack the thread, should start a new one to find out where everyone is in NY and get a shoot together.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Heard a commercial for it during Limbaugh on WBEN
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I might be able to make it tomorrow but I have no idea what time of day.  Sunday is definately out for me.  I've got some holiday money I need to get rid of.  Does anybody selling there usually have good deals on ammo?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Seems to me like the best ammo vendors in the area do Syracuse and Rochester - Rochester's show is pretty good sized, too - so I'd imagine there'll be some decently priced ammo there - who knows, though...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#21]
ammunitionstore.com will almost definitely have a few tables set up in a square, usually by themselves.
they even hit the somewhat small Buffalo shows
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
- Rochester's show is pretty good sized,   - georgestrings

The Jan show is 300 tables. Maybe 1/2 the spring fall show.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for clarifying that, Marc - I've only been out there once or twice... Looks like Glenn and I should be out there around 11AM...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Just got back. Minet hall WASN'T open for the show, unlike the radio ad said. Was able to walk the show in just under an hour.
Ammunitionstore.com was not there, which was odd.
More than one table with ARs or AR parts: good
all those tables had their ARs for way too much: bad
$1050 for a plain old post ban Bushmaster
$175 for stripped lowers
a few small ammo dealers, with so-so prices
as always, tons of double barreled shotguns, and high gloss hunting bolt actions
while there was less "flea market junk" than normal it wasn't completely gone
one guy had good to very good finish USGI AR mags for $14. Only ones I saw at a good price
Glock 21 prebans at one table, $60 marked down from $90
Another guy had them for $40. Now, while at first that price sounds bad, afterall it is twice the new price, it's not that bad for a NY gunshow since we still have an AWB. 1-2 years ago $90+ was the price for them. Still more than I'm willing to pay for a 3 round increase though.
And one table had a few of the good old South African "battle packs"
for $53 and change. I remember when they were $36. Granted they aren't imported anymore to my knowledge, but there's other good ammo out there cheaper.

One guy, who I've bought from at other shows, had an HK91 clone for I think $660, or something close to that, new with hardcase. Not a Century Arms gun. I was tempted but knew nothing about the specific one so I passed. It was a PTR91 built by J?? Enterprises, not sure the other 2 initials in CT. Now I'm finding that gun online with a suggested price of $850 or more. Damn it. Actually tempted to drive the hour back to the show to get it as I really want a .308 but most of my price research before the show had been done on FALs and not HK91 clones.
Man, now I've finding sites listing the dealer price as $685. Damn, damn, damn. Should have taken the gamble.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I was at the show from 9:15 to 11:30 AM. One table had a fairly nice Colt Sporter Target for $1000. Buy of the show for a preban Colt. Same dealer had a refinished Colt lower for $450 or $495, IIRC.  Others were pricier.

I was looking for a good .308 bolt gun, as was a friend. No joy there. Not a bad show for the size. A few good AR mag deals.  The "AR" dealer had a beta C mag, supposedly a refurbed preban, for $349. He also had a pile of post ARs with A2 FSs

Ammo prices: I saw the $53 SA. Yikes. Port .308 ranged from $169-189/case. Wolf poly 62 gr $115/K. Olympic 223 crap, $135/K, Federal XM193, $89/500 rds. Indian .308 crap, $60/ammo can.

Sorry I missed you guys...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Well Georgestrings and I FINALLY arrived ~ 1:00
Seems, that once again I got lost in a phone booth.
Didn't see anyone we knew, you guys were proabably swilling beer and chewing steak while we were bargan hunting.
Not too bad a show, several jokes: some kind of FAL built on a DSA reciever with NO COMPLIANCE parts and a $1,450.00 price tag. Hey it comes with four magazines.
There was a pre-ban PWA "Commando"  on an A1 upper for $2,250., not to mention some new production AR's with collapseable stocks for big bucks.
Don't these people know the AW ban didn't sunset here, or do they just not care?
I bought some cleaning brushes and some odds & ends and a kit from Shueluk. They were fair to work with, altho most of  the uppers on display were pre-ban configuration.
Overall it was good to see a show instead of working one.
Sorry we missed the ARFcommers who attended....maby next time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I noticed that too, the preban configured uppers and complete guns. Uppers I can kind of understand, since they're legal on a preban lower. But the complete rifles that said "new bushmaster ...." or "new Olympic Arms ...." had me laughing. Too bad someone who thinks an FFL wouldn't sell anything illegal is going to buy them and be in deep crap
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I noticed that too, the preban configured uppers and complete guns. Uppers I can kind of understand, since they're legal on a preban lower. But the complete rifles that said "new bushmaster ...." or "new Olympic Arms ...." had me laughing. Too bad someone who thinks an FFL wouldn't sell anything illegal is going to buy them and be in deep crap

This all kinda has me wondering about the casual purchaser who isn't aware of New Yorks firearms laws.  Say some guy buys a no-ban rifle from a NY dealer, and later some LE has reasion to examine said rifle, determines it to be non-compliant, now who's gonna catch shit over the illegal weapon? the poor smucks defence of "I didn't know it was illegal, I bought it form Xxxx's gunhshop."  Chances are the LE's still going to sieze the rifle, and issue a ticket/take him to jail, not to mention what its going to cost in attorneys fees.  Will the "I didn't know, it's the dealers fault" defence work?  Could prove interesting.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:45:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Ammunitionstore.com was not there, which was odd.

Quoted:
Federal XM193, $89/500 rds.

I couldn't make it but now I don't feel as bad about it.  After gas I may as well just pick some up closer.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, I don't have too much to add - you guys have all covered it pretty well...

Took about 30 seconds in the door for the typical gun show comic relief: I'm looking at one of those Hogue rubber pullovers for pistol grips(Handall Jr?) and the guy at the table asks me what gun I want it for(totally UN-solicited, BTW) - So, I say I'm considering it for the PG on a SAR-1... The "expert" begins to tell me that those are "borderline legal" in NY, due to Penal Code blah, blah, blah... BUT, the "butthole" stocked one HE'S got there is perfectly legal(that's why he sells 'em in that configuration - yeah, RIGHT???!!!) - then advises me to "be careful" of some small town cop that might jam me up for that SAR-1... Go figure...

fp1201 and I had a nice ride out there and back, though - not the worst way to spend a day I ever had...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Went on Saturday. Picked up some small things. There was a really hard core night vision dealer there. He had a PAQ-4c on display. Had an ITAL under the table. Some AN/PVS-4 scopes, and ab ITT AN/PVS-14 with the 2 brass contacts onit. He let me look through it and it had ZERO blemishes! Not one!. And another scope he displayed with a detachable night scope called a "SEILLER" or something. Anyone get a chance to see it? Had about 4 or 5 sections to it. Kind of like an erector set night vision scope setup. Wish I had more time to view it. Does anybody know the company name for that thing?

AR prices were ridiculous. The ban hasnt reaslly sunsetted in NY so they still fetch top dollar. I saw one table with LE trade-in Colts. Still had the department property stickers on them (Yakima, WA.)

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Went on Saturday. Picked up some small things. There was a really hard core night vision dealer there. He had a PAQ-4c on display. Had an ITAL under the table. Some AN/PVS-4 scopes, and ab ITT AN/PVS-14 with the 2 brass contacts onit. He let me look through it and it had ZERO blemishes! Not one!. And another scope he displayed with a detachable night scope called a "SEILLER" or something. Anyone get a chance to see it? Had about 4 or 5 sections to it. Kind of like an erector set night vision scope setup. Wish I had more time to view it. Does anybody know the company name for that thing?

That same guy sets up in Syracuse. I think he's from CT or close by.
Did you see the two Vulcan (Hess) .50BMG bolt rifles?  $2,200. each! Wouldn't be a bad deal for two, then you could have one to shoot while the others in the shop.
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 5:40:23 AM EDT
[#33]
I went on Saturday and Sunday.  I only live about 2 miles from the show so it was nice not to drive an hour or more to see one.  January show is the smaller of the three shows they have.   I missed last falls show to visit my son at Ft. Benning.   I got a Mosin-Nagant 1891/59 and an Olympic K3B.  Got some ammo and a few books.  Alos sold an unmodified Krag to help cover the costs.  Got what I wanted for the Krag so the show didn't cost me too much.  

Must say I am pleased with the Oly.  Nice little shooter and very accurate.  Good company for my Bushy and various milsurps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top