Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/17/2011 1:10:49 PM EDT
So, I got pulled over, again by DPS for no front license plate.  I know the law.  I chose to ignore it.  

Trooper, when he walked up, told me why he was pulling me over and also that he saw me putting on my seatbelt as he was following me.  For the record, I wear a seatbelt even driving in a pasture.  Old habit.  I told him that I wear my seatbelt, he disagreed, and I showed him my Driver's Education License (yeah, they make those now).

He relented, and told me he was simply going to issue a warning for the license plate.

No problem.

Then he asked me, "Have you ever been pulled over for this before?"

I decided to tell the truth, I've been pulled over for it twice already. Once in Wills Point, once by DPS in Canton.  This changed his tone, and he decided that I would need to see a judge about the license plate afterall.

He returned to his car, ran my license, then returned to my window.  He said, "Well, good news, you've only been pulled over once before for this, so I'll still give you just a warning.  Get it fixed." (I guess Wills Point PD never put it in their system that I received a verbal warning.)

I never knew, but always suspected, that a 'warning' still was kept on your record.  

It is.

Lesson learned kids, don't lie to the DPS.  

TRG
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I know what you are going to do this afternoon
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Do they stay on there for a certain period of time, or is this part of your "permanent record?"
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#3]
DPS may keep a record of warnings internally, but local PDs have no way of entereing them into any kind of statewide system.  

By ignoring this law, you are choosing to give LE a valid to enter your life.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do they stay on there for a certain period of time, or is this part of your "permanent record?"

Like that detention in 10th grade?   It's all there baby!
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So, I got pulled over, again by DPS for no front license plate.  I know the law.  I chose to ignore it.  

Trooper, when he walked up, told me why he was pulling me over and also that he saw me putting on my seatbelt as he was following me.  For the record, I wear a seatbelt even driving in a pasture.  Old habit.  I told him that I wear my seatbelt, he disagreed, and I showed him my Driver's Education License (yeah, they make those now).

He relented, and told me he was simply going to issue a warning for the license plate.

No problem.

Then he asked me, "Have you ever been pulled over for this before?"

I decided to tell the truth, I've been pulled over for it twice already. Once in Wills Point, once by DPS in Canton.  This changed his tone, and he decided that I would need to see a judge about the license plate afterall.

He returned to his car, ran my license, then returned to my window.  He said, "Well, good news, you've only been pulled over once before for this, so I'll still give you just a warning.  Get it fixed." (I guess Wills Point PD never put it in their system that I received a verbal warning.)

I never knew, but always suspected, that a 'warning' still was kept on your record.  

It is.

Lesson learned kids, don't lie to the DPS.  

TRG

I've been a cop for a more than a few years and to my knowledge only the actual agency keeps track of traffic stops/warning. I'm sure DPS does this too, but warnings are not entered onto your DPS driving history.
Example: I can run a name or a license plate thru MVD/TCIC and if you've been handled in my home county it will pop with a previous contact.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Curious what type of vehicle you drive.  White panel van?  I'm convinced certain types are contacted regarding no front license plate - it was a very common practice to go after youths when I was younger but I rarely see older folks driving their sporty cars get the business end.  Fortunately, my township is more concerned about the safety of speeding/running stop signs and don't go after the license plate violators.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I've noticed Van Zandt county is heavily patrolled for some reason.  I got stopped one night near Edgewood on 64, for doing the speed limit.!  I think the VZCSD was only stopping me as it was a Friday night, around 11:00 pm, and he was trolling for drunks.   He admitted I wasn't speeding as we talked, and he "advised" me to "just watch the speed limit going through the little towns."   I told him, I always do........
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Curious what type of vehicle you drive.  White panel van?  I'm convinced certain types are contacted regarding no front license plate - it was a very common practice to go after youths when I was younger but I rarely see older folks driving their sporty cars get the business end.  Fortunately, my township is more concerned about the safety of speeding/running stop signs and don't go after the license plate violators.

87 IROC

TRG
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

DPS may keep a record of warnings internally, but local PDs have no way of entereing them into any kind of statewide system.  

By ignoring this law, you are choosing to give LE a valid to enter your life.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
87 IROC

Ah...  mostly a car driven by teenage men these days.  Not surprising you are getting a bit more than average attention from LEO.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Think it's gotten much easier for DPS to keep up with the warnings they issue now since they enter those into the computer right on the spot to print the warning out instead of issuing the old hand written warnings.  Just glad they issue warnings to begin with!
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
87 IROC

Ah...  mostly a car driven by teenage men these days.  Not surprising you are getting a bit more than average attention from LEO.

There's a teenage man in the car, he's sitting next to the driver.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

87 IROC

TRG

Explains everything.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I seem to remember an instructor (DPS Sgt) when I was in the academy telling us that they can see anytime you've been contacted by another Trooper. We can do this on our own system, but not other agencies.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Meh, I was pulled over by DPS over 10 times for this in 2010 alone...One ticket.  So be it.  I do wonder how long warnings stick on your "Warning" record.  I have since put a license plate in my windshield when driving in the country. I know it's not technically right, but it's worked so far.  I'm not drilling either of my bumpers.  It always felt like a fishing expedition as well, lots of questions involved.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Meh, I was pulled over by DPS over 10 times for this in 2010 alone...One ticket.  So be it.  I do wonder how long warnings stick on your "Warning" record.  I have since put a license plate in my windshield when driving in the country. I know it's not technically right, but it's worked so far.  I'm not drilling either of my bumpers.  It always felt like a fishing expedition as well, lots of questions involved.

As was mentioned earlier, DPS keeps records of its own contacts with violators to include warnings. However, it is just an internal thing and other agencies cannot see the warnings, just as DPS cannot see the warnings of other agencies.  It is also not a part of your driving record as some assert.  You can pull your driving history right now and it will not show a single warning.  Just as the OP stated to the trooper that he had been pulled over once by DPS, and once by another agency, but only that warning from DPS showed up... proof that warnings are not interagency.

But, as also has been said before, if you choose not to get a front plate, you are choosing to give LE a reason to stop you as well as choosing to eventually receive a citation.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Related question for the LEO types.  Is there a practical reason (other than it's the law) for the front plates that make it useful to law enforcement?  How does it help or does it?  From my civi point of view, seems the rear plate would be enough.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 12:17:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I've gotten a $300 speeding ticket in a school zone once. The judge let me pay half and he wouldn't let it go on my record. Since then, I've gotten several verbal warnings for going 80mph in a 60, 75mph in a 55 (In Louisiana by a female cop..I got lucky on that one). I also got pulled over that night I came home from boot camp...the DPS gave me a written warning because one of my license plate lights were out (I didn't know, because when I started driving that evening, it was still daylight).
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Related question for the LEO types.  Is there a practical reason (other than it's the law) for the front plates that make it useful to law enforcement?  How does it help or does it?  From my civi point of view, seems the rear plate would be enough.

They can run your plates when you are behind them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Aside from being the law, there are a couple of reasons.  Practically, it makes verifying whether your registration matches your license plates easier as all we have to do is look at the license plate displayed on the registration, take 3 steps backward, and check the front plate.  You would be surprised how many times people mix up the registration stickers when they have multiple vehicles and put the wrong sticker on the wrong vehicle.  Second, many scanners such as at tollways, airports, banks, etc use cameras that take pictures of the front plate.  Granted, most also take pictures of the rear plate, but it is primarily for verification in case for some reason one of the pictures does not show up.  Finally, when law enforcement is trying to find a vehicle which may be parked somewhere, it is far easier to just cruise by looking at the plates which can be seen no matter which direction the vehicle is facing rather than having to get out and go look at the back simply because the car backed into a spot.

As to the comment about police running your plate while in front of you, yes, you could do that, but it really isn't practical.  Having to look through the back window while driving and running a plate can be hazardous in addition to it is often too hard to see the plate clearly anyway.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 7:06:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Please visit here to help throw out the old two plate law.
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/billlookup/History.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=HB1068 if you want to read the bill, its real simple……..rear only license platers required.
Here is where to find your rep… http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/
Send your reps an email to let know to support this bill.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It is enough for 19 states including most of the states surrounding Texas...  Texas is one of the only southern states that require front plates.  Requiring front plates is one of the bad ways that Texas is more like the blue northern states than it should be.  In fact even a few northern states don't require them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is enough for 19 states including most of the states surrounding Texas...  Texas is one of the only southern states that require front plates.  Requiring front plates is one of the bad ways that Texas is more like the blue northern states than it should be.  In fact even a few northern states don't require them.

I wonder how the Vette owners do it?  I have been looking at cars all morning to see if they have a front plate.  Haven't seen a Vette yet with one.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#24]
87 IROC

Uhh, we are going to need to see proof of adequate mulletude to approve you dring that car.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder how the Vette owners do it?  I have been looking at cars all morning to see if they have a front plate.  Haven't seen a Vette yet with one.

TRG

They are one group of inidividuals that get a pass - unless they're wearing a mullet and have a girlfriend named Chrystal.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aside from being the law, there are a couple of reasons.  Practically, it makes verifying whether your registration matches your license plates easier as all we have to do is look at the license plate displayed on the registration, take 3 steps backward, and check the front plate.  You would be surprised how many times people mix up the registration stickers when they have multiple vehicles and put the wrong sticker on the wrong vehicle.  Second, many scanners such as at tollways, airports, banks, etc use cameras that take pictures of the front plate.  Granted, most also take pictures of the rear plate, but it is primarily for verification in case for some reason one of the pictures does not show up.  Finally, when law enforcement is trying to find a vehicle which may be parked somewhere, it is far easier to just cruise by looking at the plates which can be seen no matter which direction the vehicle is facing rather than having to get out and go look at the back simply because the car backed into a spot.

As to the comment about police running your plate while in front of you, yes, you could do that, but it really isn't practical.  Having to look through the back window while driving and running a plate can be hazardous in addition to it is often too hard to see the plate clearly anyway.

I've been told LEO like to run plates while sitting in traffic.  I see substantially more abuse in North Texas due to all the transplants & OK drivers so the local PDs would be spending all their time doing license plate enforcement.  Therefore most DFW drivers get a pass.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Here are the transportation committee members. Might help to send them an email too.
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members...e/?district=62
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members...e/?district=72
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members...e/?district=25
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members.../?district=111
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members.../?district=130
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members.../?district=105
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members...ge/?district=1
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members...e/?district=39
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members.../?district=120
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members...e/?district=79
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members...e/?district=51
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Many luxury and sport car owners do not have front plates.  However, it is not because they get a free pass.  Many corvettes sold do not come with a bracket for the front plate, so many owners do not realize that you must have two plates.  Also, many do not like having front plates, so they do not get them put on.  However, they do get pulled overfor it and if they have enough warnings, they get a citation.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I used to have a 1996 Impala SS that never had a front plate.  Was never pulled over for no front plate in the 3 years I had it prior to moving to Missouri.  MO requires a front plate and I wasn't there 3 weeks and was pulled over for no front plate.  The LEO gave me a warning and a month to put a plate on it.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Not LEO but the ONLY thing reflective on the front of your vehicle is your license plate.  Lidar guns love the front plates for obvious reasons.  There have been silent complaints about the new plates as they are not as reflective therefor . . . the guy running a 87 IROC supposedly can thwart the new guns .... sometimes

Link Posted: 3/18/2011 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not LEO but the ONLY thing reflective on the front of your vehicle is your license plate.  Lidar guns love the front plates for obvious reasons.  There have been silent complaints about the new plates as they are not as reflective therefor . . . the guy running a 87 IROC supposedly can thwart the new guns .... sometimes

It doesnt have to be reflective, it just needs to be metal and flat.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I dunno how you guys get warnings, Ive only gotten tickets in TX (last was 7 years ago.)
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#34]
with the in car computer system that DPS runs now every contact they have with a car also with the driver is log into their system. Weather it be a warning or a citation. So every time you or your car has been run by DPS and one a ticket or warning is issued every trooper can see what the other trooper did.
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
with the in car computer system that DPS runs now every contact they have with a car also with the driver is log into their system. Weather it be a warning or a citation. So every time you or your car has been run by DPS and one a ticket or warning is issued every trooper can see what the other trooper did.

Isn't that just done by region and not statewide. I can see previous 28 runs in the Q history for the last 24 months.
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that just done by region and not statewide. I can see previous 28 runs in the Q history for the last 24 months.

Their "CAD" system tracks it all state wide by 28 and 27. Its independent of "TLETS" or TCIC. It is a feature of their software. How long it stays in there I can not say. But it is definitely a statewide system.    

Link Posted: 3/20/2011 12:10:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

87 IROC

TRG

I hate putting a license plate on my 88 iroc :P Stick it in the window or something
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#38]
When i was in high school that was my first ticket, no front plate! Was pulled over last year by DPS for front plate, Had my truck detailed and the chemical they used to remove the bugs also removed most of the paint from the plate! Only received a warning though! DPS guys seem to be pretty cool.
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

87 IROC

TRG

Haha, how did I guess?

F-body guys an Corvette guys never run the front plate.  I got at least a dozen in my '91 Z28.

None yet in the GTO though.

Link Posted: 3/20/2011 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
87 IROC

Uhh, we are going to need to see proof of adequate mulletude to approve you dring that car.

Don't forget the Oakleys and HyperColor shirt.
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
87 IROC

Don't forget the Oakleys and HyperColor shirt.

I like Phil Collins on the Bose stereo with digital clock.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You all are not going to like this, but with the vehicle license plate recognition systems,  the front license plates are here to stay.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 6:09:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I got a warning 2 am sunday morning....defective license plate lamp is the printed offense on the 4 inch by 4 inch  highly detailed print out.

How long will I be  tagged a law breaker in there puter ?

goat..you just had to start this.

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 7:37:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is statewide.  Any trooper can see any citation or warning that any other trooper has given on a person or vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got a warning 2 am sunday morning....defective license plate lamp is the printed offense on the 4 inch by 4 inch  highly detailed print out.

How long will I be  tagged a law breaker in there puter ? Forever

Once a criminal always a criminal.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You all are not going to like this, but with the vehicle license plate recognition systems,  the front license plates are here to stay.

Do you think the powers that be at the federal level are going to try to force the 19 states that don't currently require front plates to capitulate?
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long will I be  tagged a law breaker in there puter ? Forever

Once a criminal always a criminal.  

What pissed me off was his opening line, "I am just going to give you a warning for it..."   Followed, later, by his query about my previous stops.  When I told him I had been stopped before, twice, he was going to issue a citation.  

"This is just a warning, there is no penalty."  

Bullshit.

It is in a computer, it is being used to make decisions about me, and I don;t think for an instant it is not being shared outside of the DPS.  Insurance, Marketing, Data-Mining, who knows?

TRG
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think the powers that be at the federal level are going to try to force the 19 states that don't currently require front plates to capitulate?

All the Fed has to do is pull their highway funds. States would be tripping over themselves to get front plates issued.

Fed: Issue front plates
State: No
Fed: pulls federal highway funding
State: Oh look! We just found a bunch of front plates in a closet.

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
87 IROC

There's a teenage man in the car, he's sitting next to the driver.

I lol'ed
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can run your plates when you are behind them.

why arent motorcycles required to have them? Another stupid law.. I got pulled over numerously for this.. I was not drilling into my 91 fox body coupe!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top