Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/4/2010 9:20:36 AM EDT
Anyone want to psot the details (at any level) of the person shot this weekend at the range?

Here is what I heard (2nd or third hand);

A gentleman was shot by
an accidental discharge of a shorty 1919. Gun was being unloaded from a
vehicle and was wrapped in a blanket. Gun was placed on a table where
it later eventually went off. Firearm was not oriented downrange.
Hitting a gentleman in both legs. Life flighted out. Sheriffs deputies,
DPS etc. All that jazz. No one fesses up for a while. Authorities
threaten to seize all firearms if need be, someone comes forward and
after that everyone allowed to leave for the day

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#1]
This happened where?
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I am sure that due to legal considerations that the individuals involved would prefer that this discussion not occur on a public forum.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I am sure that due to legal considerations that the individuals
involved would prefer that this discussion not occur on a public forum.

if one accidentally shoots someone, they lose any right to not have it discussed on a public forum (and is already on other forums, that is how I heard about it).

And it was just a few weeks ago we were discussing unsafe range behavior and how it affects all of us and threatens our ranges. I guess not everybody read the thread...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=389738

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Triple-Tap!

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Triple-Tap!

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a bad situation is all I do know.  How the gun went off I have no clue.  The victim is lucky from what I have heard as his main arteries were allegedly struck and if an EMT on the scene hadntbeen able to call life flight, the guy probably would have bled to death.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Was this at one of the new years shoots?
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Was this at one of the new years shoots?

Yes
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am sure that due to legal considerations that the individuals involved would prefer that this discussion not occur on a public forum.

If this occurred as the OP described then the responsible party deserves no simpathy what-so-ever.  If you are that stupid then you need to be purged from the firearm owning population.  If it was an accident, then we can all learn from the mistake and be grateful noone died.

But hiding the incident helps no one and makes all look guilty.

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lovely. Any status on the guy that was shot?

He'll live from what Ive been told, may lose a leg.  Ive heard they're asking for blood donations as he's gone threw a good amount of blood.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He'll live from what Ive been told, may lose a leg.  Ive heard they're asking for blood donations as he's gone threw a good amount of blood.

Any details on the donations?  Where to do the donation?

PM me if you know.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any details on the donations?  Where to do the donation?

PM me if you know.

IM  sent
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#14]
What is important now:
Will post account # shortly for blood donations

To the shooting community at large,

There was a unfortunate accident at the range on Sunday  

Bruce Ross  is at Memorial Herman in the medical center  and needs blood donated in his name, you can do this at any Gulf Cost Regional Blood Center www.giveblood.org if you can not donate please encourage some one who can.  Bruce is in stable condition but will need more blood and surgery.  

Before the events of that day,  I considered Bruce and his wife Dale both good friends,  the kind of people who you looked forward to meeting on the range. Today Bruce is my brother and he is in need of help. So again I and his wife ask that if you can donate blood please do so  or encourage others who can to donate in the name of Bruce Ross at Memorial Herman in the Med Center

for a location near you go to www.giveblood.org

Phil Oxley
832-274-8549
www.theimpactzonerange.com
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Thats terrible news. Hope he makes a  full recovery.

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I was there and it was bad.  I'll decline any comments until "official" comments are made.

Keep Bruce in your prayers and please give blood.  I have an appointment tomorrow to give my share.

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I was there and it was bad.  They didn't even shut the helo down while we loaded him.

Everyone involved has asked that this not be discussed for now.

It was a tragic accident.

Bruce is still in ICU and needs our community's prayers as does everyone involved.

Got this in the email today:

My friends,
On Sunday, January 3, 2010, Bruce Ross, a friend from past meetings at the range, a shooter, collector,  member of the range, member of the shooting community, and our brother in arms, was badly wounded in an accident.
He is in serious need of blood.  This need is likely to continue for today and the upcoming weeks.
Bruce and his wife are at Memorial Herman Hospital in the Med Center.  He was in surgery last night and he went through six units of blood.
Please find the time to give a unit of blood at any donating facility and do it in his name that would be appreciated:
http://www.memorialhermann.org/waystogive/content.aspx?id=2536
My friends, I know Bruce and his wife, even if you do not know him personally, a card or a little something that is encouraging for him and his wife would be appreciated.
Memorial Hermann - Texas Medical Center
6411 Fannin
Houston, Texas 77030
(713) 704-4000
I cannot discuss the details so wait for them later.  I ask that you act now for Bruce and his family.
Thank you,
Sean Cody
Attorney at Law
440 Louisiana St., Suite 1900
Houston, TX  77002
(O)  281.451.4175
(F)  713.513.5918
www.HoustonAttorney.org
www.TexasNFATrust.com
www.AtomicLabRat.com

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Blood type?
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was there and it was bad.  I'll decline any comments until "official" comments are made.

Keep Bruce in your prayers and please give blood.  I have an appointment tomorrow to give my share.

Amen.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Blood type?

Doesn't matter....Just give in the name of Bruce Ross

www.giveblood.org
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Wish I was closer to donate. My prayers are with him and his family. An all involved
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wish I was closer to donate. My prayers are with him and his family. An all involved

Every drop helps from everywhere. Most won't go to him but you can help a lot of folks in need and do it in his name.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#25]
prayers sent for him and his family....God bless and get well soon!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Just to be clear, are we talking about a full auto 30-06?
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Prayers sent for him and his family! God speed with his recovery! I can't begin to imagine the scene and circumstance.

GM15
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Guys if you were not there or if you were there but not in charge, then do not speculate.

bruces life was saved by the immediate action of an emt that was attending the shoot and Phil's quick reaction which included the application of both field expedient and emt turniquets.

The waller county ems superviser called the helo in.

Several of us went home with Bruces blood on us and that's pretty damned personal.

I heard that someone claimed that the waller county sheriff had to make a threat to find out what happened and get the party to take responsibility.  That is Completely incorrect.

Everyone involved was waiting on pens at a table  to give a written statement when the chief rolled in and hollered at everyone.

Just to be absolutely clear those involved immediately took responsibility for the incident.  No bullshit.  no hesitation.  They stood up long before the sheriffs deputies arrived.

As far as the weapon it was probably a 30-06 and the rest doesn't matter as it had one round in the gun.

Frankly everyone should spend some of this internet energy in prayer and giving blood.

Good night.

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Per Phil

To donate blood
* FInd a location near you by going to giveblood.org.
* Tell them you want to donate for Bruce Ross, DOB 04/09/49 who is at Memorial Hermann in the Medical Center
* Blood type does not matter, his account will be credited for the unit donated

Phil gave today. I do not know Brian, but my donation will be made

Please help a comrade with prayers and a donation

Bob

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#30]

A relatively large rifle round like a 30-06, yeah he's lucky to have both legs still attached. Yeah, it's not a 338 Laupa, but it ain't no poodle shooter either.

Figure on a lengthy recovery. If the bone shattered, probably some steel rods and pins would be used. Not to mention the tissue damage from all the bone fragments that literally exploded. Extremely lucky only one round was involved.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Prayers Bruce's way.

I've spoken with people who attended and it was an unfortunate oversight that caused an accident.

Sad, but true. Wish I could give blood, but with my health and the meds, it would do more harm than good.

People with whom Iv'e spoken were very shook up. I was asked not to post on AR15.com and I did not, but I chose to post this response once the subject was brought up.

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Anyone want to psot the details (at any level) of the person shot this weekend at the range?

A gentleman was shot byan accidental discharge of a shorty 1919. Gun was being unloaded from avehicle and was wrapped in a blanket. Gun was placed on a table whereit later eventually went off. Firearm was not oriented downrange.Hitting a gentleman in both legs. Life flighted out. Sheriffs deputies,DPS etc. All that jazz. No one fesses up for a while. Authoritiesthreaten to seize all firearms if need be, someone comes forward andafter that everyone allowed to leave for the day.

Why is it that you choose to be such a fucking shit stirrer? Including choosing to lie about what happened?

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#33]
No one wants to go into what actually happened and there are some po'd folks.

Time to delete the thread?
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A gentleman was shot byan accidental discharge of a shorty 1919. Gun was being unloaded from avehicle and was wrapped in a blanket. Gun was placed on a table whereit later eventually went off. Firearm was not oriented downrange.Hitting a gentleman in both legs. Life flighted out. Sheriffs deputies,DPS etc. All that jazz. No one fesses up for a while. Authoritiesthreaten to seize all firearms if need be, someone comes forward andafter that everyone allowed to leave for the day.

Why is it that you choose to be such a fucking shit stirrer? Including choosing to lie about what happened?

What lie? That is what I was told. I also have a inbox full of other versions.

Yoiu can go look it up on TOS where it  was posted. I copied verbatim. That is why it is italicized.

Maybe you should get the  facts before you call some a liar.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'll vote for that. Too many unfounded rumors being spewed forth

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#36]
And I would also like to point out that by asking what happened, we found out that blood was needed which may go to actually helping the victim out.

Jeez!

Why was this call for blood not posted right away and asked for a tack? Instead, you all want to cover it up instead of wanting to do everything you can to help the victim.

Sad what has become of the THTF.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Take it easy guys.  What we need to remember here is...  

One of our brothers in the shooting community needs our prayers.
Two families are shattered.  

This is not the time for petty name calling, speculations or accusations.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This. I'm honestly ashamed that bickering started. Were all grown men/women and this is a serious matter, and as stated two families are shattered.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Well stated.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Renegades post came from me which was directly told to me from people who attended the event and near the incident when it happened.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 3:19:35 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm curious, when you donate blood in someone's name, whether or not they receive that blood is irrelevent.  I believe the person donated to will not have pay for the blood they have received if there was blood donated in their name.  Some one correct me if I am wrong.  I don't have to be in until noon today so I'm gonna stop by the blood bank in Humble.  I'll see if my wife can make it to.  This is a very sad story.  I feel very sorry for both parties involved.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 5:15:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Anyone know the closest place to donate near Baytown?

Eta: A little Google and what do you know.

Link Posted: 1/5/2010 5:37:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then spew forth facts.  It's out that someone was shot.  If you or your ilk don't want hyperbole and hearsay, tell what really happened.  Since there's such a secret hush hush on what happened, you're going to get conflicting stories.

Until someone posts what really happened, the speculation will continue whether you like it or not.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 6:16:07 AM EDT
[#45]
I donated on 12/5 and am not eligible to donate again until March.

Prayers sent for both families. If there's anything we can do for either, please let us know.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The way to stop rumors (and everyone here is aware that they ARE rumors and not fact) is to shine the light of truth.

You are welcome to do so.
ETA:  Unfortunately I cannot donate.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Why is it being called an accident?  Even if all there is are rumors someone being shot at a gun range sounds like negligence.

Prayers out.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#48]
As a shooter who tries to be as safe as I can, how can I learn from others experiences if they are swept under the rug?
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#49]
It is an extremely unfortunate event and you are correct, it will drastically alter the lives of those involved. That being said, there are some very, very important lessons to be learned and or remembered. Some are of the safety variety and some are about being prepared. While this is an unfortunate incident, Bruce is very fortunate that the people there were prepared and able to render the aid he needed.

Preparation:
1) You should have basic life saving gear on hand in a medical kit with your shooting stuff. Tourniquet and a couple of trauma bandages (blood stoppers) at a minimum.
2) As a shooter, learn the basics for life saving care. Take a CPR class, brush up on basic trauma care and how to stop bleeding.
2) Maybe large shoots should have EMS personnel on site? Most are in rural areas and most volunteer EMS systems would be happy to send out a crew for the day with a small donation being made to their department. Even if you do not have an ambulance on site, paying a paramedic to be there for the day with a jump kit is not a bad idea. This should be fairly easy out of the dues for the shooters for the day.

Safety:
1) We all say "treat every gun as if it loaded" but you have to actually look. Seriously, it is that simple. Everytime you case or pack up a weapon you should check it. Everytime you unpack the weapon you need to check again. It should be habit to open a top cover and look under the feed guide or to cycle the action every single time. When you put guns on a table or lean them on a rack, etc. you should lock the bolt or slide back to show it is unloaded. In this case, the rule was forgotten not once, but twice. When the 1919 was packed up from shooting Friday and when it was unpacked at Impact Zone on Sunday.
2) Firearm orientation. We all know to point weapons down range, but how many shoots have you been to where people are using a table and they lay weapons on the table where they are parallel to the firing line? This is the one that seems so simple, yet you see it violated many times. It does no good to point your rifle downrange when firing if you lay it on the table sideways.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What lie? That is what I was told. I also have a inbox full of other versions.  

Yoiu can go look it up on TOS where it  was posted. I copied verbatim. That is why it is italicized.

Maybe you should get the  facts before you call some a liar.

If you were not at the field at the time you just need to keep your month shut because you don't have a clue.   Hell I was about 100 feet away when it happened and I don't know how it happened.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top