Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 7:05:04 AM EDT
In relation to a thread earlier this week on Kinky, I took the time to email "him" about his beliefs on the 2nd ammendment.  I attempted to sound as non partisan as possible to get as honest an answer as possible.

This is my question to him:
To whom it may concern,
There are a number of people like myself who would like to know where Mr. Friedman stands on the 2nd amendment.   How will Mr. Friedman vote and affect legislation once in office?
Thank you

The response in two business days:
Kinky believes that all law abiding Texans have the right to own and carry guns.  Obviously, the State has a legitimate interest in making sure that criminals and mentally ill people do not get guns but other than that, he believes in gun ownership.

Dean Barkley
Campaign Director
[email protected]

Just though I might open a thread where Texans could discuss the pros and cons of his running for office.
MOS2111
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:17:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I dont think he could come out and say it like that even if he believed it.  I think as the new kid, his speach will be limited.  I agree that those rights are inherent to us, however, by saying that felons and mentaly ill should not be armed, he is staying with in popular reason.  Criminals (felons and such) should not have access to weapons nor should those who have been institutuionalized (spelling).  Those are laws already on the books for legaly obtaining weapons.  

I would be satisfied with the knowlege that he was not interested in further inhibiting or restricting rights, and it seems that he believs that we should be able to carry.  I doubt that he will institute non regualted carrying, but there is hope.  I am more interested in a fresh approach to education in this state, and he seems to agree that no child left behind needs to be changed and updated.

"encouraging political discourse"
Mos2111
ETA
I am not endorsing him, just trying to see "why the hell not"
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:34:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sounds to me like he feels rights are governed by law, not given by God.  "Criminals and mentally ill"?  The Soviets used that one to great effect.

"It's a right, not a privilege"  

"...the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed..."

TRG

Yup!
Unless & until you (as in each individual) give good reason to the contrary, rights are not subject to prior government approval, license, or fee.

Wouldn't it be great if things actually worked that way?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Arm the 'tards!
EDIT:  never mind, I saw a few of them at the range last time I was there anyway....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:46:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw Kinky on a local access show a few months ago and the interviewer asked him straight up about the gun issue.

Out of his own mouth, Kinky said that he believes firearms used for sporting purposes are fine but "assault rifles" have no real use. He said that EVERY rifle should be limited to 5 rounds because if you cannot hit whatever wild game you are shooting at within 5 shots then you shouldn't be hunting.

Straight from the horses mouth.......paraphrased of course because I don't have a perfect memory to quote him word for word. But that 2 minutes of this particular interview sealed my thoughts about him.

YMMV

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I saw Kinky on a local access show a few months ago and the interviewer asked him straight up about the gun issue.

Out of his own mouth, Kinky said that he believes firearms used for sporting purposes are fine but "assault rifles" have no real use. He said that EVERY rifle should be limited to 5 rounds because if you cannot hit whatever wild game you are shooting at within 5 shots then you shouldn't be hunting.

Straight from the horses mouth.......paraphrased of course because I don't have a perfect memory to quote him word for word. But that 2 minutes of this particular interview sealed my thoughts about him.

YMMV

Thanks for the quote.  I had heard similar quotes from him, but did not have anythign to back it up.  Kinky ain't your buddy.  He hasa name, a gimmick, and a following.  that does NOT qualify him to make decisions about my right to keep an bear arms.

Anytime you find yourself on a bandwagon it is time to evaluate your position.

TRG

+1

Novelty candidates suck.  Kinky is about as Texan as Molly Ivins.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#9]
And that right there is the purpose of this thread.  I was unable to find that kind of information, and wanted to make an informed inteligent choice,
Apparently Kinky isnt it.
As I get more free time, I would like to be able to have us (texans) go over things like this for all of the canidates or people who are thinking of running for office.  
Thanks for the help.
ETA:
I have tried google to find a link to his "5 round" comment and similar statemtents, any working links would be appreciated for use as a future resource.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I doubt you'll get much better responses out of Perry.  The only things he's got going for him is that he did sign better carry laws into law.  Does anyone know for a fact that Perry is not against 'assault weapons'? His old buddy George is.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have tried google to find a link to his "5 round" comment and similar statemtents, any working links would be appreciated for use as a future resource.

Yeah, I wouldn't even know where to start on finding where I heard this. I saw it on local public access TV here in Austin probably 4-5 months ago. The interviewer was a young guy....probably college aged and they were just sitting in a couple of chairs discussing different issues.

I watched it because I didn't know anything about Kinky myself and he has quite a few supporters here in the "great" Travis county.

I stress that no one should take my words as gospel, but I am 100% confident in my recollection of the general idea of his comments...but I'm not 100% confident in each and every detail.

I will try and find any info I can regarding this......heck, I might just e-mail his campaign directly like MOS2111 did. I'll report back with any news.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Note:  If you are at work, and you do an image search for Kinky + gun, might want to make sure the adult filter is turned on.  "Sry boss, just checking out some info. on the new guy running for Gov."
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Note:  If you are at work, and you do an image search for Kinky + gun, might want to make sure the adult filter is turned on.  "Sry boss, just checking out some info. on the new guy running for Gov."

I'm sure any image search for "Kinky" will turn up some interesting pictures.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Admin computers dont have the filters.....

Whats with the fruit loops?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#18]
OK, I am not a Repub, but all things considered Perry has
been very progun.  Of course this is a relative statement.

Everything I have ever read or heard about Kinky
is that he would side with the type of laws
Feinstein and Kennedy would back.

Edited to Add:

I have also noticed a strong correlation of
Kinky bumper stickers and "Keep Austin Weird"
bumper stickers.  

Not exactly a good thing to be assoc'd with..............
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I have also noticed a strong correlation of
Kinky bumper stickers and "Keep Austin Weird"
bumper stickers.  

Not exactly a good thing to be assoc'd with..............

The two go together like peas and carrots!!!

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#21]
If you had Kinky (an independant) as gov.,  a republican house and democrat senate, you could have what is called political gridlock.  Which ain't all bad.  Think about it, no wonderful new programs being adopted.  Maybe no budget being passed, the government shutting down.  Shit, I got to stop thinking like this I'm getting a woody.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#22]
so i got the hippie, the "dime store cowboy or the bitch?
yea for texas!

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
yea for texas!

Ain't it a sad of state affairs about who we 'get' to vote for in Texas this go round..........................

I'm thinking grid lock sounds like the lessor evil this time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:48:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
yea for texas!

It's really a shame they don't put a "none of the above" space on the ballot.  That way when you get a bunch of losers like these guys, you can just say no.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YMMV

Thanks for the quote.  I had heard similar quotes from him, but did not have anythign to back it up.  Kinky ain't your buddy.  He hasa name, a gimmick, and a following.  that does NOT qualify him to make decisions about my right to keep an bear arms.

Anytime you find yourself on a bandwagon it is time to evaluate your position.

TRG

+1

Novelty candidates suck.  Kinky is about as Texan as Molly Ivins.  

shoot, I am more Texan than that guy! (from NJ)
I would be ashamed to have a "kinky" governor.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Kinky, a good ol' cigar-chomping, Jewish cowboy, might soon be running Texas                                                            

www.kinkyfriedman.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=146&Itemid=27
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Kinky = Kommie

Perry has taken his daughter deer hunting.  The young lass bagged a whitetail with a borrowed AR15.  Just food for thought.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#28]
He was much better when he was with the 'Jewboys.'

Now he's become a fixture on Don Imus' morning radio show....

Hanging out with the goyim!

Eric The(GentleGentile)Hun
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, if the worst anti-gun statement we have from anybody in the race is that they support CCW but not assault weapons, then we aren't doing too bad.

I'm not a huge fan of Perry; but there is no denying he has been good on guns. Rylander has also received the TSRA endorsement as comptroller; but I doubt she'll get it for the Governor's race.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Well, if the worst anti-gun statement we have from anybody in the race is that they support CCW but not assault weapons, then we aren't doing too bad.

I myself am not willing to settle for someone only trying to take away "some" of my rights.

YMMV

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#31]
That wasn't my point. My point was that it beats the days when our best option was a guy who said he would sign it if it ever crossed his desk (while making sure it never crossed his desk).
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
That wasn't my point. My point was that it beats the days when our best option was a guy who said he would sign it if it ever crossed his desk (while making sure it never crossed his desk).

I see.....I just took it the wrong way. It's just a topic that I'm touchy with.

I know it can be worse....a lot worse.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#33]
    Back in my college days, I had a polysci Professor tell that " the primary job of any politician is to get elected and the secondary job is to get re-elected" .  Now thats sad.  

Kinky..??????????
                              Grandma....?????????
                                      Rich...??

Pick a card.......................................................................
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#34]
No one who loves Texas would vote for Kinky.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
And that right there is the purpose of this thread.  I was unable to find that kind of information, and wanted to make an informed inteligent choice,
Apparently Kinky isnt it.
As I get more free time, I would like to be able to have us (texans) go over things like this for all of the canidates or people who are thinking of running for office.   Thanks for the help.
ETA:

The League of Women Voters (LWV) puts out a Voter's Guide prior to every election.  Supposedly non-partisan.......

Let's just say I wish TSRA put out a Voter's Guide, too.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
yea for texas!

It's really a shame they don't put a "none of the above" space on the ballot.  That way when you get a bunch of losers like these guys, you can just say no.

I dare someone to do a write-in vote for Barry Goldwater or Charlton Heston!  What about Representative Hupp?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

TSRA does put out a Voter's Guide for major elections. It is part of the TSRA Sportsman magazine that you receive as a member and is also available online as a PDF. It is in the column that Alice Tripp writes on legislative matters.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TSRA does put out a Voter's Guide for major elections. It is part of the TSRA Sportsman magazine that you receive as a member and is also available online as a PDF. It is in the column that Alice Tripp writes on legislative matters.

Hmmn.  I must've missed that.  Their website isn't very easily navigable (is in on the tsra or tsra-pac site?).  I have asked Alice about that (a guide) before, and her response led me to believe the answer was "no".  (That said, I was asking her more in the context of *organizations* [such as CLEAT], rather than *candidates* for office).

BTW, thanks for correcting me on that.  I didn't think I was wrong, but was hoping someone would do so if I was.

ETA: I have since let my membership lapse (thanks for reminding me, though), but I never received the magazine from them.  Didn't honestly know that was a benefit of membership.  Man, typing this up and seeing it all in writing, I sound like a pretty shitty/uninvolved/unknowledgeable member.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#39]
There is a nice guide to the upcoming primaries in the latest January/February 2006 issue. It isn't a guide in the sense of A/B/C/D ratings; but if you'll read the two pages of her column, you'll have a good idea how to vote.

Check the Houston ARFCOM thread for the link to that issue...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:09:42 AM EDT
[#40]
A link to the TSRA online magazine:

www.tsrapac.org/readnow.htm
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
What about Representative Hupp?

She's out, she announced awhile back that she won't be running for re-election to her state House seat.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What about Representative Hupp?

She's out, she announced awhile back that she won't be running for re-election to her state House seat.

Right, but my point was that I'd vote for her for Gov.  Now if only someone could convince her to take the plunge.........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top