Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2005 7:14:15 AM EDT
Rapper shoots self withpen gun, mother mad...

Posted By: UMG ONE <[email protected]>
Date: 12/5/05 23:42

You can view condolences and sign the guest book at this link...

http://www.legacy.com/dayton/Guestbook.asp?Page=Guestbook&PersonID=15736540

Pen-Gun Accident Kills Budding Rap Singer

ST. PARIS, Ohio (AP) -- Steven Zorn had put the pen gun to his head and clicked before, thinking it was jammed and would not work.

But on the third try, the tiny, silver pistol went off as the 22-year-old budding rap singer was drinking to celebrate an impending record deal. He died later at the hospital.

The shooting happened Nov. 18 at Zorn's home in this rural village of 2,000, about 50 miles northeast of Dayton. Family, friends and law enforcement officials believe it was accidental.

Family and friends said Zorn drove himself to succeed in the music world. He loved hip hop and wrote songs described as being filled with raw emotion. He taught himself to play the keyboard and record tracts using inexpensive software on his home computer.

"He could make a song out of anything," said friend Shane Hanes, with Zorn the night of the shooting.

Zorn tracked down rap artist Miracle in Georgia and urged the crunk artist to listen to a CD of his original recordings.

"The lyrical content was awesome," Miracle said. "He had a lot of skill. I took a liking to him, took him under my wing."

About a week before he died, a friend gave Zorn the pen gun with the .25-caliber bullet.

"This guy gave it to him with a jammed bullet in it," said Zorn's mother, Lisa McCoy-Horn.

She said that the night of the shooting, her son had been drinking and she confronted him about it. Later, Hanes and another friend joined Zorn in a small barn he had converted into his living quarters and sound studio.

"He walked up to his computer and pulled the pen gun out of his pocket and started playing with it," Hanes recalled. "I looked at him and said, 'Steve, you shouldn't be playing with that, that's a loaded gun.'"

When Champaign County sheriff's deputies arrived, they found Zorn shot in the head. He was taken to Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton, where he died.

"Steven had a career and his dreams all ahead of him," said McCoy-Horn. "But messing with these pen guns, these kids need to know that life can be taken in a blink of an eye."

McCoy-Horn wants to see pen guns outlawed. She said several schools have expressed interest in having her come to speak out against the weapons. And she would also like to take her message to the Legislature.

"I've cried and cried so much, but I'm mad now," McCoy-Horn said. "Something's got to be done."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#1]
sorry
but any1 puts a loaded gun to his head and pulls the trigger is an id10t
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
sorry

....three times no less!
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:22:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
"I've cried and cried so much, but I'm mad now," McCoy-Horn said. "Something's got to be done."

Apparently Darwin IS doing something about it!

Of course, guns are evil and kill people. Never mind the fact that it takes a drunken idiot pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought pen guns were outlawed.

No tears shed here.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#6]
well it will benefit society in that he won't father 5 kids in the next 5 years to mothers he won't marry, but would just be his babymomma.

trash.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#7]
"Ma-ma says, "Stupid is as stupid does..."
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No tears shed here.

NFA item, classified as an AOW (Any Other Weapon).  Buy it and pay a $5 tax.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#9]
So, his friend gave him a NFA weapon, and he shot himself with it.  Did his friend violate the NFA in giving him the pen gun?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Ma-ma is right!!!!  

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No tears shed here.

NFA item, classified as an AOW (Any Other Weapon).  Buy it and pay a $5 tax.

IIRC, there are a couple classified as non-NFA.  You cock them by bending them in half.  Bent in half, they sort of resemble a normal pistol -- therefore they aren't an AOW.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
sorry

....three times no less!

dumbass
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Kinda like playing Russian Roulette with a loaded Glock, huh?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ma-ma is right!!!!  

+1
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#17]
My sigline says it all.

wganz

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top