Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 10:23:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#1]
a tripod huh....kinda heavy if you ask me.   i live on the eastside and havent heard anything, then again ive been pretty busy lately.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#2]
WOAI needs to invest in more bandwith.  Did it show the suspect or type of rifle?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'll assume they knew this guy wasn't a homeowner in his own yard?

And even if he wasn't, it's not illegal to openly carry a long arm in the State of TX... is it? I have a feeling we aren't getting the whole story here.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#5]

I'd like to know what they're calling an assault rifle.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And even if he wasn't, it's not illegal to openly carry a long arm in the State of TX... is it? I have a feeling we aren't getting the whole story here.

you know we're not.  If I was a homeowner and I heard suspicious noise in my backyard or front yard at night I'm definately walking outside with something, preferrably a rifle.  I wouldn't be surprise if they find out that's what he was doing, but since he had an "assault rifle" he was in the wrong.  just makes me more untrustworthy of cops.  overwelming majority would have us unarmed if they were given the freedom to.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you know we're not.  If I was a homeowner and I heard suspicious noises in my backyard or front yard at night I'm definately walking outside with something, preferrably a rifle.  I wouldn't be surprised if they find out that's what he was doing, but since he had an "assault rifle" he was in the wrong.  just makes me more untrustworthy of cops.  overwelming majority would have us unarmed if they were given the freedom to.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Even if he was a homeowner, it seems that he knew the cops were there.  Something else going on I think other than good citizen investigating bump in the night.  Would be nice to know but we probably won't hear about it again.  You SA's will let us know if anything further happens right?

Debo in Austin
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'd like to know what is a 'distrurbing video'... geezus, I was underwhelmed.

TRG

OK, TRG, here you go:

Two U.S. soldiers confirmed dead after this shooting.  

If this one doesn't disturb you, then I don't know what would....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Even if he was a homeowner, it seems that he knew the cops were there.  Something else going on I think other than good citizen investigating bump in the night.  Would be nice to know but we probably won't hear about it again.  You SA's will let us know if anything further happens right?

Debo in Austin

Yeah, a law abiding citizen doesn't point a rifle at police after having a perimeter set up around him....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Let's see;
It is late night, neighbors are scared that he is out there, a perimeter is set up around the guy, he is watched for a significant amount of time, refuses to comply with officer's orders, known to be dangerous, and then ya'll expect the cops just to let him slide, and go about his business?
It is legal to own a rifle in Texas, and no one disputes that. It is what the person does with it that either puts him in the line of fire or not.
Yes, I am LE and heard about this one.
FWIW, I am glad the guy did not begin shooting, and that he was stopped before he was given a chance.
I would bet the local neighbors are breathing a sigh of relief too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#14]
It sounds from the news report that this was basically a "suicide by police".  He'd been arrested the week before because of a suicide attempt, and basically did something that he knew would get himself shot.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#15]
damn, found out what happened today.  i live literally 5 blocks from this scene.  yes it was suicide by cop, and the guy pointed the gun at cops prompting them to shoot him.  

nobody knows what kind of gun he was actually using, and the news description is probably utter BS.  

wont be the first time ive seen a chalk outline in this neighborhood.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#16]
The local news said it was a SKS. Which by definition is not an assault rifle. Fucking media.

Hell David, I always thought the chaulk outlines on your driveway where your kids art work!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#17]
TRG, it's not a beheading video.  Some US soldiers are standing outside their Humvee when some insurgents start shooting at them.  None of the US soldiers notice the shots which miss (you can see the shots impact the wall behind them) and they act as if nothing had happened, i.e. none of them take cover.  Then when one of the US soldiers is eventually hit by the sniping fire, the others still do not take cover, and another US soldier is hit.  The shooting only stops because the insurgents drive away.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yeah, a law abiding citizen doesn't point a rifle at police after having a perimeter set up around him....

Your presuming the police are law abiding.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:32:40 PM EDT
[#19]
jesse, i figured it was an sks, thts what i told my wife too.   never seen an SKS tripod tho...

my kids school is on the next street from that shooting, i live exactly five blocks away.  took my kids to the park a few blocks from there last sunday to chuck around a football and left early because there were too many gangsters with pitbulls hanging out at the swings.

i doesnt surprise me at all. i was driving down a parallel street to this one a couple months ago and had to detour because some guy got shot in his driveway and all the cops and EMS were blocking the road.  that shooting is two blocks from the main north/south street west of me, S. Hackberry, more affectionately known as CRACKberry.

at least summers ending, people here usually simmer down a little for the winter.

Quoted:

you know we're not.  If I was a homeowner and I heard suspicious noises in my backyard or front yard at night I'm definately walking outside with something, preferrably a rifle.

you know, i thought of that too.  i heard a window break outside a few weeks ago and rushed out with my p226 in hand.   as i was looking around my backyard to see which neighbors house it was, i ran right into 2 SAPD officers at the fence in the next yard doing the same thing.   they stopped, i stopped, and after a 5 second eternal silence they asked me if i saw what happened.  whether its legal or not to be in your own yard with a gun its still taboo enough to make you think over how much that last social security notice said your death benefits were in your head real quick when faced with uniformed police officers.

especially if all they had to do was say you pointed it at them to make you the enemy on the 5 o'clock news..

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I missed this.  

Where exactly was this?

I guess I live on the FAR east side - Converse.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#21]
it happened on the south/eastside, highlands area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top