Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 4:28:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:49:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Ha ha.

They mess with people's way of living, so they should expect to be messed with in return.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:15:48 AM EDT
[#2]
So, you think if the anti-freedom crowd had done this to a pro-gun group with the same result, the Royal Post would be in such a forgiving mood?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:30:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Makes you wonder who's backing LACS don't it?

The Times January 23, 2006

Anti-hunt group survives postal attack
By Helen Nugent

THE Royal Mail has saved an animal rights group from bankruptcy after hunt supporters cost it £500,000 by bombarding its Freepost address with junk mail and heavy parcels.

The League Against Cruel Sports has agreed a rescue package with Royal Mail after a fund-raising drive was hijacked by hunters and left the association with a crippling bill.

What started as a plea to its supporters for donations to a free-billing address ended up involving the bomb squad, police and Royal Mail fraud investigators. Problems began when hunt enthusiasts heard about the drive to raise money for the league’s hunt monitors and decided to sabotage it.

A round-robin e-mail was sent to hunters urging them to abuse the system by sending Christmas cards, empty envelopes and bulky packages.

Within a fortnight, van loads of bricks, telephone directories, heavy books, abusive letters and animal excrement were sent to the league’s offices in South London. One hunter posted a dead squirrel.

The joke soon turned sour when the Royal Mail depot in Poole, Dorset, called in the bomb squad after workers discovered a couple of suspect packages addressed to the league. They proved to be house bricks.

The scam intensified when Jeremy Clarkson used a newspaper column to urge hunt supporters to take part, saying that it would leave the league less to spend on surveillance equipment. The presenter of Top Gear said that he was going to send a “paving stone or a horse”.

As the league struggled to cope with the growing volume of mail, all of which Britain’s biggest anti-hunt group had to pay for, it decided to call in Royal Mail investigators and detectives.

Officials tapped into the network of e-mails among hunters. It is alleged that one was sent on by the wife of an employee at Buckingham Palace, while another is believed to have been sent from the e-mail address of the Master of Foxhounds Association, hunting’s governing body.

Alastair Jackson, the chairman of the association, said that he was not aware of any e-mails passed through his office, but he added that “everyone applauded the idea at the time”. The original e-mail being forwarded stated that the Countryside Alliance backed the idea, but this was refuted by the alliance.

Now the Royal Mail has agreed that the league should pay only for those items of mail sent before it alerted the postal service to the problem and cancelled the Freepost address.

This means that the league’s bill will be about £2,000, not the estimated £500,000, which would have almost certainly bankrupted the group.

Wanda Wyporska, spokeswoman for the league, which was set up in 1924 to stop violence against animals, said that half the sacks of mail were from the West Country. Some senders, she said, had used company franking machines.

“We are delighted to say that the hunters’ attempt to bankrupt the league has failed spectacularly. They have wasted the time and resources of the police and the Royal Mail through their petty and spiteful campaign. Next time the price of a letter goes up, you have the hunters to thank.”

Police said that they were investigating whether the culprits could be charged with theft, fraud or sending malicious post. Just forwarding the e-mail could lead to criminal proceedings. A spokesman for Royal Mail added: “There is no point sending any more mail, it will be returned or destroyed.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005747,00.html

if you guys can ban together to fight for hunting rights, why can't you ban together to protect your gun rights?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

if you guys can ban together to fight for hunting rights, why can't you ban together to protect your gun rights?

Most of people with guns are hunters and 'sporting shooters'.... they have hung us out to dry everytime...

It's called 'feeding the crocodiles hoping you will be eaten last'....

Many of the people who do target shooting were happy to see pistol shooting banned and would be happy to see 'Black Rifles' , lever action carbines and semi auto .22's go too....

ANdy

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:07:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#7]
But you have to remember many many of those replies are from Clubs, who wrote in representing the entire club membership...still, looks like most shooters are not interested in fighting for their rights here in the UK.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
But you have to remember many many of those replies are from Clubs, who wrote in representing the entire club membership...still, looks like most shooters are not interested in fighting for their rights here in the UK.

Johan,

I think that they have done the dirty on the hunter's and target shooter's so many time's in the past that the pepp's who would love to see the clock's turned back to pre-ban time's, have seen the futility of the whole thing.

I as an ex-soldier would not fight for my country, if they were to call me up, it isnt worth it.

Toe.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as the HO is concerned, one letter is one reply... they did not take the letter from the NRA and multiply it by the number of  members, the shooters were told this by their organisations and did not listen.

Just before the deadine for replies I printed out a standard letter and a copy of the Consultation document and took them to my club, enough for each member, all 184 of them. All it took was a signature and a 2nd class stamp, only two people bothered to send off a letter.

Example of the apathy and willingness to throw each other to the wolves.... the Snowdrop Appeal. It got one million signatures calling for a ban on handguns, a million votes gets you a lot of political clout. However, at the time it was estimated 1.6 miliion people either shot or were connected to shooting sports by trade. Want to take a guess at how many stood up and supported the pistol shooters?

Andy,
I can't believe shooters can be apathetic about their sport, could it be fear that keeps them silent? Fear of bad press? Maybe what they need is better leadeship.

Do you think the image of the US NRA and US gunowners has hurt you guys over there?(I'm proud to be a member but I realize they do get alot of bad press too)

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Only the person/organisation at the top of the list will get a reply and the letter will count as only one response.

It's the same with petitions, a million signature petition will require only one reply from ministers (or whoever it is sent to) but two personal letters will warrent two responses, already you've doubled the workload and made twice the point to the recipient.

What Vito didn't mention before was that of all the responses to the Home Office Firearms Consultation Document about half came from anti-shooting people. It is a sad fact. Be honest, how many of you on this board actually replied individually?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
how many of you on this board actually replied individually?

I did
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#15]
This one really  makes my blood boil.
I sent a reply in (approx 6 pages worth).

I too printed out copies of the paper,  lobbied everyone at our club and anyone else who would listen whilst doing butt duty etc.
Most confessed to have never even heard about it.....which I thought was complete bollox to be honet.
IMO they just couldnt be bothered.

I know that 3 out of 30 from my club sent in a response

2000 odd  replies from 'our' side is pathetic.....

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:48:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#17]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did as well, actually got a reply from my MP who happens to be Labour and a pro shooter.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did

+1, also sent a copy to my MP and got a response from him......
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#19]
How many people(shooters) lobbied government in Ireland to get the 32 year ban overtuned there?

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:01:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did

I did, my MP did on my behalf, my girlfriend did although interestingly her labour (and now unemployed) MP wasnt nearly as keen to discuss her points as my nice shooting and hunting Tory.

Staggers me that only four responses came out of our club and one of those being that of the club itself.

Sheeple!

Richard

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:37:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I recieved two letters from my  MP ( was Conservative at the time but now Lib Dem...) on House of Commons notepaper.
He said he was pro-shooting (used to be in the cadets) but took his reply with a pinch of salt...

Might send a quick letter to my new MP and see what he has to say....
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:55:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
This one really  makes my blood boil.
I sent a reply in (approx 6 pages worth).

I too printed out copies of the paper,  lobbied everyone at our club and anyone else who would listen whilst doing butt duty etc.
Most confessed to have never even heard about it.....which I thought was complete bollox to be honet.
IMO they just couldnt be bothered.

I know that 3 out of 30 from my club sent in a response

2000 odd  replies from 'our' side is pathetic.....

Exactly.

I sent replies to the HO and my MP (both at the house of commons and his local office). I got a reply from the HO that actually read as if they had at least glanced at my response as they made some relevant remarks. I got stoney silence from the MP Mark Prisk.

About 6 weeks later he wrote to me (and every other householder, so I shouldn't be too honoured) and asked for our support to stop the Stansted Airport expansion. In the freepost envelope I replied stating that if he couldn't even be bothered to acknowledge my letters then he's not even worth my vote let alone support on a local issue that directly affects me (I'll lose premises to the new airport - ETA, I like flying from a local airport and I can always buy a new workshop with the compensation they'll pay).

He was very sorry and launched an investigation to find out why he never received my letters and emails. How long ago was that? best part of a year and I've not heard from him since. I thought they were duty bound to reply to all correspondence, but apparently Mark Prisk, MP, is above this rule.

Bastard politicians. Only want to hear from us when they want something from us.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:19:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I also sent a reply, and a copy to my mp (Although she is a labour and an anti as far as i can tell) and from time to time i send her mail on whatever the government is trying to do to my hobby? how many of you wrote in regards the VCR bill (which has shooting stuff in it) out of intrest?

Matt
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How many people(shooters) lobbied government in Ireland to get the 32 year ban overtuned there?

The question should not be, "How did the shooters in the Republic get their guns back?".

The more important question that should be asked is, "How did the shooters in Northern Ireland keep theirs?".

The answer? Self defence, that's the reason, simple as that.

In Northern Ireland you can still bear arms for 'Self Defence'. When you apply for a firearms permit you can list that as 'Good Reason'.  It never was removed as 'Good Reason' here on the mainland, but in 1950, the then Home Secretary arbitrarily decided that in future 'Self Defence' should no longer be considered 'Good Reason' for the grant of a permit.

So, what we have seen is a parralel social experiment. One section of the UK has RKBA laws (and CCW laws) as good as, and in some respects better than the USA, while the other section is systematically disarmed.  

And experience showed in NI there was no correspondence between gun ownership and crime, quite the contrary in fact!

Outside of the paramilitary controlled areas, NI has some of the lowest crime rates involving burglary, robbery and assault in the Western World.

So, when the GCN crowd tried pressuring the NI Assembly in 1997 to ban private ownership of handguns on the grounds of 'Public Safety' they were told in no uncertain terms to sling their hook as they were talking out of their arses, and the Assembly and the Police, who were in favour of private firearm ownership, had the facts to back them up.

ANdy

Sounds great. Unfortunately sanity like that is nt allowed here in the UK legislative process.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top