Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 4/21/2017 1:24:03 PM EDT
Went out this morning, got this one-didn't have a scale close but probably a bit over 20 pounds. Got him in a cooler of salty ice water, hoping to eat Sunday. Got a message from a coworker I was out there with, he got his on the other end of the property, and verified the buck I missed last shotgun season is still alive(had him within 50yds of his blind). Brother in law is going out tomorrow, here's hoping he gets one too.

ETA-Browning BPS in 10 gauge, Winchester 3 1/2" "4 shot.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I wanted to this weekend, but with there not being any rain, we have to get going on field work.  This morning I got a notification from my cell trail cam of a flock of turkeys going through my spot at 0630....
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Shot one with two beards on 4/19/17 in NE Iowa.  Not a huge bird, but first one with multiple beards.  Benelli SBE with HeviShot 3 1/2 loads.

my son had a swing and a miss on a large tom on opening day season 1.  That monday was crazy with movement and lots of birds.  day 2, 3, and 4 were slower due to weather I think, but still saw birds.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Partner got a decent tom Monday about 3.  He saw a lot of birds on Sunday but missed.  I saw one hen.  Boone River valley.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I didnt get a tag this year just been to busy
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Partner got a decent tom Monday about 3.  He saw a lot of birds on Sunday but missed.  I saw one hen.  Boone River valley.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I didnt get a tag this year just been to busy
View Quote
There's 4th season yet!  
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There's 4th season yet!  
View Quote
Trying to make up my mind whether I want to get a 4th season tag-father in law wants as many turkeys shot as possible, will probably give it a try.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:15:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I went out 2nd season and shot my very first bird. 17 pounds, 9 3/4" beard, 1" spurs, nice fan. I ended up taking it with my late grandfathers old Remington Sportsman 58. He shot hundreds of pheasants with it over the years but could never get a turkey. Wish he could have been with me. My grandpa was a great man!

Brad
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:28:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I went out 2nd season and shot my very first bird. 17 pounds, 9 3/4" beard, 1" spurs, nice fan. I ended up taking it with my late grandfathers old Remington Sportsman 58. He shot hundreds of pheasants with it over the years but could never get a turkey. Wish he could have been with me. My grandpa was a great man!

Brad
View Quote
1" spurs and only 17 pounds? That's an old bird to be that light-maybe past breeding age and on his way out. That means he already passed on his genes-a trophy for sure, and shot with a classic shotgun!

This seems fitting.
Aaron Lewis - "Granddaddy's Gun" (Official Video)
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Somebody got two westbound on the Avenue about 3 miles west of Floyd the other day.
At least I think they had been turkeys at some point.
I watched a couple strut and stand on a gravel road southwest of Nora Springs yesterday morning for about 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:53:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Somebody got two westbound on the Avenue about 3 miles west of Floyd the other day.
At least I think they had been turkeys at some point.
I watched a couple strut and stand on a gravel road southwest of Nora Springs yesterday morning for about 10 minutes.
View Quote
I've seen those two myself-there was another recently near the Plymouth exit. That one was laying in a way that I had to go to the next exit and backtrack, I thought it was a dead eagle. Dark color, similar size when driving by at 65.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
1" spurs and only 17 pounds? That's an old bird to be that light-maybe past breeding age and on his way out. That means he already passed on his genes-a trophy for sure, and shot with a classic shotgun!

This seems fitting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H74RqPzKrY0
View Quote
Just saw your post shack357. Thanks for the video/song! It was perfect!

Brad

The gun looks pretty good in this pic but it has a ton of beauty marks. The blueing is completely worn off of the bottom of the receiver where he carried it.  

My bird is on the left:

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just saw your post shack357. Thanks for the video/song! It was perfect!

Brad

The gun looks pretty good in this pic but it has a ton of beauty marks. The blueing is completely worn off of the bottom of the receiver where he carried it.  

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/BMPRacing/IMG_5790_zps1ukqe99i.jpg

My bird is on the bottom:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/BMPRacing/IMG_2464_zpsgzjs2fzh.jpg
View Quote
Nice-and a good looking gun. Lots of honest wear, no abuse. I had an 870 Wingmaster worn exactly like you describe your shotgun-no bluing on the bottom where a hand rubbed for a long time.but I didn't inherit it, I bought it at Cabelas.  A lot of meals have probably been eaten thanks to that gun(and the people who have been behind it)!
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top