Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 4/8/2017 12:21:31 AM EDT
Something I wondered today... in states were a driver carrying a weapon with a proper permit has a duty to inform a cop that pulls them over, do passengers in the vehicle that are also carrying legally have to offer up the info as well or only if asked?

It was one of those days at work when I could let my mind wonder.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:50:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the state. I think in Alaska everyone in the car has to own up to being armed, but not sure.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Weather it's required or not, it's just a good idea to politely inform. It could save a hell of a lot of trouble.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Weather it's required or not, it's just a good idea to politely inform. It could save a hell of a lot of trouble.
View Quote
If it isn't required I don't tell them anything unless I am going to have to get out of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I am of the position and I am sure some will critique me for this,.......but where I chose to carry my CCW firearm does not allow it to remain concealed when I have to reach for my wallet, so in those few times I have been pulled over, I kindly inform the Officer of the situation and not once have I had any bad or adverse reactions from the Officer.  

Some will say....you should carry in a different spot or yada yada, but I carry where its comfortable so there
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am of the position and I am sure some will critique me for this,.......but where I chose to carry my CCW firearm does not allow it to remain concealed when I have to reach for my wallet, so in those few times I have been pulled over, I kindly inform the Officer of the situation and not once have I had any bad or adverse reactions from the Officer.  

Some will say....you should carry in a different spot or yada yada, but I carry where its comfortable so there
View Quote
I countered this long ago by switching the side I carried my wallet on. 

I don't inform unless they ask. If I got pulled over for speeding, that's all the conversation needs to be about. 

Sorry, doesn't answer the OP's question. I'd assume it would be state dependent. 
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Which is why my wallet, registration and insurance card is out before the officer gets to my car. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the conversation guys.
Yeah, I would say that it is state dependent, just wanted to hear other people's thinkings.

I will ask another question for your thoughts on duty to inform.
Many do not realize that since July of 2015, if traveling through Illinois and you have a valid permit from your state, you MAY carry in your vehicle while traveling.
If you stop for gas or food or to tinkle and have to go into a store or restaurant or rest stop or whatever, you must disarm before you go in.
You must also secure your weapon and ammo in accordance with Illinois law.

So, if'n you're driving across Illinois and get pulled over for speeding coming out of a construction zone even though literally everyone else around you is going faster (you're the low hanging fruit as it were), and the nice trooper asks you VERY SPECIFICALLY "do you have any rifles or shotguns in the trunk?" do you offer the information that you have a pistol where he can't see it in the passenger cabin?

You know, hypothetically of course.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the conversation guys.
Yeah, I would say that it is state dependent, just wanted to hear other people's thinkings.

I will ask another question for your thoughts on duty to inform.
Many do not realize that since July of 2015, if traveling through Illinois and you have a valid permit from your state, you MAY carry in your vehicle while traveling.
If you stop for gas or food or to tinkle and have to go into a store or restaurant or rest stop or whatever, you must disarm before you go in.
You must also secure your weapon and ammo in accordance with Illinois law.

So, if'n you're driving across Illinois and get pulled over for speeding coming out of a construction zone even though literally everyone else around you is going faster (you're the low hanging fruit as it were), and the nice trooper asks you VERY SPECIFICALLY "do you have any rifles or shotguns in the trunk?" do you offer the information that you have a pistol where he can't see it in the passenger cabin?

You know, hypothetically of course.
View Quote
In Illinois you have to tell them. All stops by an officer in Illinois are considered to be an investigatory stop. Many don't know that in Iowa if the stop is of an investigatory nature you must notify if asked.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

In Illinois you have to tell them. All stops by an officer in Illinois are considered to be an investigatory stop. Many don't know that in Iowa if the stop is of an investigatory nature you must notify if asked.
View Quote
I have not seen that in any of the research I have done; everywhere I have looked has said that Illinois is "if asked".
Can you point me to otherwise?

edit: I have not done any research on it in the last year or so, so it may have changed, but at the time what I found said only if asked.
At that time though, the Illinois law did not say you had to actually have a permit in your state but that you had to be eligible to carry in your state, so they had some language in there they did not want and in the process of changing that they may have included a duty to inform.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:13:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have not seen that in any of the research I have done; everywhere I have looked has said that Illinois is "if asked".

edit: I have not done any research on it in the last year or so, so it may have changed, but at the time what I found said only if asked.
At that time though, the Illinois law did not say you had to actually have a permit in your state but that you had to be eligible to carry in your state, so they had some language in there they did not want and in the process of changing that they may have included a duty to inform.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have actual language to present but it seems that lying, which you would essentially be doing if saying no when asked, to LE during an investigation is a crime. One of those things not specifically wrote into gun law but applies from other laws. I could be wrong but I am sure the LE presence here can confirm if this is the case. During a normal traffic stop in Iowa it doesn't apply however Illinois considers all stops investigatory.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been pulled over 3 times in my life for normal traffic violations. Twice, when I was under 18, and once since I've been carrying. That was a couple years ago, after I'd been living in Iowa a couple years. I just handed the officer my carry permit with my ID.

He never mentioned anything about weapons, and let me off with a warning, even though I could have had some hefty fines.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top