Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2017 1:55:48 PM EDT
Husband and I are looking to move there in the near future, and I'm wanting to hear some input about areas to look for an apartment. We would like to not spend a bundle, but don't want to live in a shit hole, either.

Where should I concentrate my search?

Also, what cell phone providers and internet providers are the best?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Husband and I are looking to move there in the near future, and I'm wanting to hear some input about areas to look for an apartment. We would like to not spend a bundle, but don't want to live in a shit hole, either.

Thanks!
View Quote

This isn't much help on your specific questions - don't live in the Des Moines area, but WELCOME!

Iowa's not perfect, but we're working on it (and it's certainly better than IL in most regards).
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Generally speaking west is better than east, north is better than south.  Downtown has been become very trendy as a place to live. As far as I've been able to tell, one cell provider is as good as the next in the metro.  Overall I think US Cellular does the best in Iowa.

Most will point you toward the suburbs.  Ankeny is the fastest growing city in Iowa.  Which makes it a pain in the ass to drive thru.  All of the western 'burbs are about the same.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of newish apartments in the West Des Moines area by Jordan Creek Mall. Pretty sure my complex offers a referral bonus.... We could split it on some ammo

As far as cell providers, I have Verizon and get coverage most everywhere. Its a work phone so not sure on cost.

For internet, mediacom is pretty standard around here.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a little one sided.

Moved to Ankeny in '89 when it was a small town and had good school system.

It's neither one now.

Taxes are sky high too.

I'll be retiring in about 2 years, and I can't hardly wait to get out.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#5]
So north west of the metro, and we already have US Cellular. Glad to hear they're good in that area.

What else should I know?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't get mediacom
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Outside of Des Moines is where I would look. Any of the suburbs would be better. Ankeny, Johnston, Urbandale, Waukee, West Des Moines, etc. Lots of great places to eat and drink downtown. You can get pretty much anywhere in 20 minutes within the metro.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:37:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Depends what your priorities are, and what you like to do.  

I can tell you that generally I wouldn't want to live on the south side or the east side.  And I myself wouldn't want to live in Ankeny or West Des Moines, though many others certainly do.  

It seems like many areas have decent rental houses, if that's something that you may want to consider.  But many decent areas don't have apartments.  There are exceptions to that, but generally it seems to be the case.  

A lot of the surrounding towns are becoming more and more popular for folks to live in.  

There is a slight bit of traffic at commute times.  I've never had a real issue going downtown from the West in the mornings, but I have been slowed way up going West from downtown in the evenings at times.  That said, its not gridlock, traffic still moves.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:41:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm from Dallas. A slight bit of traffic is nothing for me.

We're very boring people, so night life or exciting things like going to the mall isn't something we do. Work, home, maybe out to eat once a week or a movie once a month.

We are looking to get pregnant in the future, so a good school district would be nice.

And a range would be good, too. Outdoors, preferably.

For rentals/apartments, is there a website that is most used there? I tried looking on apartments.com and rent.com, but both websites are utter trash.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Outside of Des Moines is where I would look. Any of the suburbs would be better. Ankeny, Johnston, Urbandale, Waukee, West Des Moines, etc. Lots of great places to eat and drink downtown. You can get pretty much anywhere in 20 minutes within the metro.
View Quote
But not during rush minute.  I can't get from downtown to fucking Beaverdale in 20 minutes in the evenings, much less to Waukee or WDM.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:56:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We're very boring people, so night life or exciting things like going to the mall isn't something we do. Work, home, maybe out to eat once a week or a movie once a month.

We are looking to get pregnant in the future, so a good school district would be nice.

For rentals/apartments, is there a website that is most used there? I tried looking on apartments.com and rent.com, but both websites are utter trash.
View Quote

If thats what you want to do, you could live in Monroe and do that :)

Some DSM schools are good, some less so.  There is a public Montessori school, but it is difficult to get in to.  Unsurprisingly, its a good school.  Pre-k to 8 though.  My wife's cousin works for the school district, she says some schools are good, some are shitty.  I'm not aware of any private schools that have an exceedingly bad reputation - they all have pretty good ones as far as I'm aware.  We sent our oldest to a parochial preschool, and then to the Montessori school.  We will do the same for our youngest.  IDK what we will do for high school.  The high school he will go to has some good academics, but it also has some shitbag students.  Probably more than some actually.  Dowling has a good reputation, but its spendy.  A member here teaches there.  The suburbs all have decent school systems to my knowledge.  

Ranges exist here, but not like I'd like them to.  There is a really nice private inexpensive (IMO, for what you get) range out at Van Meter.  Last I heard a 2 year wait.  I'm anxiously awaiting my turn lol.  I've shot service rifle matches out there, its nice.  Most ranges in the area will be capped at 200 yards, and will be at least a half hour out of town.  I'm a member at a place that goes out to 825 or so, but its an hour away.  I've never shot at a public range near here, and I've heard mixed things.

No idea about a website, sorry.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:00:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I live in Beaverdale, I'm pretty sure I can get downtown in 20 even at rush hour. I may spend 10 minutes or more trying to find a place to park
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:17:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I live in Beaverdale, I'm pretty sure I can get downtown in 20 even at rush hour. I may spend 10 minutes or more trying to find a place to park
View Quote
I live in Beaverdale too, I said getting back from downtown, not getting to downtown.  When I have to work downtown, it takes at least 20 minutes to get from my car to my house.  I can be from door to desk in about 17 minutes in the mornings (and thats including a short walk from where I park to the building), but in the evening, it takes about 21-23 from my car to home.  Not always, but probably at least 80-90% of the time.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:27:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I live in Beaverdale too, I said getting back from downtown, not getting to downtown.  When I have to work downtown, it takes at least 20 minutes to get from my car to my house.  I can be from door to desk in about 17 minutes in the mornings (and thats including a short walk from where I park to the building), but in the evening, it takes about 21-23 from my car to home.  Not always, but probably at least 80-90% of the time.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turn that short walk into a quick jog and you'll make it in 20
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:13:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't get mediacom
View Quote

THIS X1000

I got sick of bending over for mediacom every month so I said F it and canceled my cable and internet about 7 years ago. For internet I used Century Link , (not the best but was worth the $40) and I used a TV antenna got all the local stations which all I needed anyways.

for places to live you could look at Waukee I lived there for 2 years I loved that town quiet but it is growing quickly. or even Altoona only downfall is where ever you go if you buy taxes will be high
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#16]
The job I'm currently in the process of interviewing for is in Clive.

You guys are giving me awesome information.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would look at bondurant. It is about 5 minutes east of Ankeny. Very good school system still has a small town feel to it but it is growing. The Ankeny ikes has a very nice out door range 4 pistol bays and one rifle bay. It is located right between Ankeny and bondurant.

You are close enough to Ankeny to enjoy all of the shopping centers and restaurants without having to deal with the traffic day in and day out.

There is the local grocery store in town if you don't feel the need to go to Ankeny. Two nice local bars founders and reclaimed rails if you need a drink after work. Best of all they are across the street from other.

Us Cellular is fine in all of central Iowa. For internet you basically have century Link or Mediacom. Both have their disadvantages so pick your poison.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Either one has to be better than this shitty Frontier DSL we have.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#19]
If the job is in Clive look at living in Clive. You would be in the West Des Moines Valley Schools or Waukee. Both are just about the best public schools in the state. Clive to Ankeny/bondurant  is about 30 minutes without traffic
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#20]
As requested here is an apartment finder link.  Good luck. I would also echo the advice to stay West and North.  Clive itself is pretty nice area if you can swing the $.  

Clive Apartment Finder
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If the job is in Clive look at living in Clive. You would be in the West Des Moines Valley Schools or Waukee. Both are just about the best public schools in the state. Clive to Ankeny/bondurant  is about 30 minutes without traffic
View Quote

seconded ^

There's an Ike's range in Ames (~25min north), also one near Elkhart (~15min north).  

This site lists ranges in IA.  Not sure how up-to-date it is because I think the one in Polk City is closed for renovations ATM - so you might want to call ahead: http://rangelistings.com/shooting-ranges/IA.html

Also, if you make friends easily, most people I know shoot on private property in the country (I only go to Ikes for trap, the rest of my shooting is on private property).  So chances are you might make a friend who has a place to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#22]
If your job would be in Clive, I would definitely find something out West or Northwest. Clive, West Des Moines, Waukee, Johnston, Grimes all have good schools and some nice apartment complexes. There are indoor ranges in Johnston and Clive that are 25 yards, There is an outdoor range that is currently going through "lead abatement" that should reopen late this year or next, That goes out to 100 yards and is about a 10  min drive from Johnston. If you want to be further away from crowded town life I would look in Grimes or Johnston (Northwest Des Moines area) and lots of rentals to choose from. Still close enough to everything (food, Shopping, etc) close to recreation (saylorville lake) and only a 5 or 10 min drive from Clive.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Turn that short walk into a quick jog and you'll make it in 20
View Quote
car to house, no jogging involved 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Either one has to be better than this shitty Frontier DSL we have.
View Quote

You say that now 

I fucking HATE mediacom.  But Centurylink just isnt fast enough.  And I frequently work at home, so I need speed.  I want so badly to have a fast alternative to Mediacom.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You say that now 

I fucking HATE mediacom.  But Centurylink just isnt fast enough.  And I frequently work at home, so I need speed.  I want so badly to have a fast alternative to Mediacom.
View Quote

Move to the NW part of Ankeny. Centurylink has fiber to the home. I could get 1Gbps.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#26]
NW is where you want to be. Grimes and Johnston are exploding with development, tons of new apartments and homes being built. Centurylink is doing fiber to most new homes and apartments being built now.

I live in granger just outside of town in NW part and I love it. Internet is slow compared to our fiber we had in Johnston, but I like our space out here
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#27]
If you're going to be in Clive, there is a nice indoor range on Hickman called Rangemasters. Only goes out to 25 yards, but hey, it's indoor. I know you wanted outdoor, the only ones I know are at least 30 minutes outside of Des Moines, and I mainly shoot handguns, so not worth the drive for me.

They also have machine gun rental at Rangemasters.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:16:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Machine gun rentals and 1gig internet. I'm liking this already.

What are some "to-do" type things?

We just got back from going up to Dubuque and visiting the river museum. That was neat.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As requested here is an apartment finder link.  Good luck. I would also echo the advice to stay West and North.  Clive itself is pretty nice area if you can swing the $.  

Clive Apartment Finder
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You say that now 

View Quote

This is from 7:20am, with no one else in the building awake, so I am getting "full speed". Add in people awake, and my husband on the internet also, and it just goes to shit. It also will randomly kill itself for no apparent reason.

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, you may like Mediacom then 

If you want, I'm sure we could do a DSM get together when you're here.

I'd be happy to show you and your husband around a bit, if we can get schedules lined up.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#32]
That would be excellent!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:02:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Let us know when you're in town, we can get something figured out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#34]
There's A LOT of Arfcommers in the Des Moines area. Our unofficial epicenter is University and 42nd street (I say that because I used to live literally at that intersection, another member works there, and a couple more lived a block or two away)

Clive's a good place to live. There's a lot of small neighborhoods in the metro that provide different values regarding home and lifestyle. We only have a few 'bad' areas of town and they're pretty easy to pick out. Even in these shitty parts there's active gentrification going on because that's where the old big historic houses are.

CenturyLink is decent, Mediacom has AIDS.

Des Moines Public Schools are regarded as good but I have a very low opinion of them. We have a world-class magnet school downtown (Central Academy/Campus) for all sorts of special classes (Marine Bio, fashion, auto tech, many languages, etc).

If you're not crazy socialites, I think you'll find DSM has a real good mix of stuff to do to keep you entertained when you feel like going out. The downtown area/ East Village has a great amount shops, bars, and venues to keep you entertained. We have a lot of good food here.

Des Moines and central Iowa in general experience the full brunt of every season (this winter notwithstanding!)
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#35]
What's that about 42nd? I'm at work. There's the intersection.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What's that about 42nd? I'm at work. There's the intersection.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/234241/1488240922002-1647635054-155470.JPG
View Quote

Can you run across the street and grab me a Taco pizza..
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Can you run across the street and grab me a Taco pizza..
View Quote

True story. Co-worker was going to pick up lunch one day. Big ass pot hole in front of the bus stop, yeah, she ate shit when she didn't see it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Bondurant has great schools and is a small town. Altoona has some nice new apartments as well. I used to work in the Dallas area and believe me if you can survive that commute then central Iowa will be a breeze.

I'm in for a meet and greet of sorts. I don't know any of the local guys.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#39]
The job I was hoping for in Clive fell through.

Back to the drawing board!
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Bondurant has great schools and is a small town. Altoona has some nice new apartments as well. I used to work in the Dallas area and believe me if you can survive that commute then central Iowa will be a breeze.

I'm in for a meet and greet of sorts. I don't know any of the local guys.
View Quote

When I first moved here to sleepytown, IL, I used to laugh my ass off at people who complained about the traffic here. It's a breeze compared to Dallas!
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The job I was hoping for in Clive fell through.

Back to the drawing board!
View Quote

If you don't mind me asking what field was the job in Clive?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Sorry to hear that Compass.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Help desk.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear that Compass.  
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Help desk.
View Quote

May I suggest you look at Wells Fargo? There is a huge campus in West Des Moines and many other offices across the metro and there are always need for Technical Service Specialists. Currently 53 jobs in the technology field in Iowa.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Help desk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
<strong>Quoted:</strong>

Help desk.

Check your inbox :)
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#47]
We lived in Waukee before moving down here to Texas a couple of years ago.  Schools are really good and 20 minutes to work (south of downtown).  

Mediacom internet rocked for us - never less than 120Mbps and most of the time much faster than that.  My mother lives in the south part of Ankeny and switched over to Mediacom about a year ago and is very happy with it.  Mediacom cable sucks in my opinion.  That is what most people hate so much.

The Des Moines schools are okay, but most of the suburb schools are much better.  Especially Waukee, WDM, Dallas Center-Grimes, Adel-Desoto, and Bondurant.  Really kind of depends how big of a town/school system you want to be in.

As for Help Desk jobs, there are lots of possibilities in the area.

For finding rentals, I have heard that zillow.com has quite a bit.  Especially if you are looking to rent a house.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

Do you want to live close or are you willing to be further out?  Do you know where you or him will be working?
kwg
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Do you want to live close or are you willing to be further out?  Do you know where you or him will be working?
kwg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

kwg

We just want to move to the Des Moines area. We live an hour south of Davenport right now. Neither of us have a job yet.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm the husband, currently I work for the Illinois DNR as a state park maintainer. One of the biggest reasons we want to move is to stop having our income be dependent on the absolute shit show that is Illinois state government; also need to get away from the state pension system. I'll start job searching in that type of work and branch out from there.

We also need to give my book learned college educated wife a better opportunity for a career than the economically depressed area of western IL can offer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top