Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2017 2:50:48 PM EDT
I see that IFC is planning another day in Des Moines. Anyone know any details or have any experience with these? I'm thinking of making the drive this year.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
In for info.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I see that IFC is planning another day in Des Moines. Anyone know any details or have any experience with these? I'm thinking of making the drive this year.
View Quote

March 7th at the Capitol. Official start time hasn't been announced yet, probably 8 or 9ish though. General outline for the day:

Show up, get an IFC briefing/overview on the day, find your legislators, drag them out of their chamber, tell them you came all the way to Des Moines to tell them face to face to pass bills X, Y & Z, mingle with other 2A advocates, meet back at the IFC area set up in the rotunda for a few speakers/updates on legislation, break camp get some food, leave knowing you've helped the cause in the most impactful way possible: face-to-face interaction with your lawmakers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Also, some people get a little skiddish when it comes to directly engaging with lawmakers. It may sound intimidating, but I promise you that when you step back and think about it it's almost always the other way around. They're the ones that are intimidated by you.

Think about it: they're trying to go about their business in the capitol, keeping as many people as possible happy while trying not to rock the boat (all in an effort to secure their re-election), then you have all these 'big bad gun owners' show up. There's a ton of them all over the capitol. You're in the chamber trying to fly under the radar when you get a note saying someone wants to meet with you in the lobby to talk about their Second Amendment rights. Even worse, it's someone from your district, one of your voters, the ones you are elected to represent. They're fired up enough about this issue to take time off work, drive all the way to capitol and pull you out of your chamber to talk about their rights. They're organized, they know what they're talking about, and they are very specific about what they want. There's no weaseling your way through this.

Hopefully this paints a better picture of how impactful this can be. And even if your legislators are not squared away on 2A issues (cough cough, Rob Hogg, Matt McCoy) they know the people are watching them and their actions, and that in itself sends a very strong message.

I'll be there in the capitol on the 7th and I want to do everything I can to remove barriers for people, so I'll make this offer to anyone that shows up: If you're unsure or gun-shy at all about what to say or how to say it I'll personally join you as you talk with your legislators. Strength in numbers, right? Just PM me and we'll make it happen.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info. I'll keep this open for more updates or good info.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Being an accountant,  that coincides with my company's month end.   Won't be able to make it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Being an accountant,  that coincides with my company's month end.   Won't be able to make it.
View Quote

That's a shame, we'll be doing more of these in the years to come though so hopefully it'll work out in the future.

Don't be afraid to get out to your local legislative forums or "coffee" talks. Same principle applies, face-to-face interaction trumps all others. If you want some talking points or context ahead of time let me know, happy to help people do this in the most effective way possible.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Bump.

Mom's Demand Action is "coincidentally" holding their own Lobby Day March 8th (the day after Second Amendment Day). No doubt their goal is to undermine our efforts.

MARCH 7TH -- Second Amendment Day -- BE THERE
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bump.

Mom's Demand Action is "coincidentally" holding their own Lobby Day March 8th (the day after Second Amendment Day). No doubt their goal is to undermine our efforts.

MARCH 7TH -- Second Amendment Day -- BE THERE
View Quote

Yesssir. Freedom haters get a voice too, I suppose.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#9]
see you guys there...  
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Unfortunately I wont be able to make it either due to work obligations but can echo what above posters have said. When meeting with these lawmakers, they will need to know EXACTLY what they can do to help. Explaining why certain legislation is great, but lawmakers need to hear you tell them exactly what you want them to do. Overall it isn't scary. Most of them just listen to what you have to say and want to know your "ask" of them.

Another great way is to reach out to your representatives directly and meet with them in your/their district. Some are willing to meet with you and talk over a coffee when they are not in session.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top