Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2011 4:43:36 PM EDT
I may have the possibility of taking a job with BIA soon. I would be relocating from FL and I'm just trying to get an idia of the area I would be going to. I don't know much about it all so any help be greatly appreciated. What would be the nearest cities or towns to the reservation? Average price of rentals? I'm in the reserves are there any bases or VA centers in the area? And lastly my fiance is looking to start her Masters in Social Work are there any schools nearby that offer this program? Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 12/6/2011 4:10:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Lower Brule is reservation town in Lyman County.  The town of Fort Thompson and a different reservation is across river in Buffalo County.  Both are depressing areas of poverty, dirty towns with lots of alcohol consumed by locals.  Brule County and Chamberlain are just south of both reservations. Pierre is closest city of size and an hour plus away.  Capital University Center is local College in Pierre with night classes.  If you work for BIA, I would suggest NOT living in those reservation communities.  Exercise their allowable mileage to work and live in Pierre, Chamberlain or anywhere other than Lower Brule/Ft. Thompson.  Your family will thank you later.  Sorry, not the info you were prob looking for but honesty....
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Lower Brule is reservation town in Lyman County.  The town of Fort Thompson and a different reservation is across river in Buffalo County.  Both are depressing areas of poverty, dirty towns with lots of alcohol consumed by locals.  Brule County and Chamberlain are just south of both reservations. Pierre is closest city of size and an hour plus away.  Capital University Center is local College in Pierre with night classes.  If you work for BIA, I would suggest NOT living in those reservation communities.  Exercise their allowable mileage to work and live in Pierre, Chamberlain or anywhere other than Lower Brule/Ft. Thompson.  Your family will thank you later.  Sorry, not the info you were prob looking for but honesty....

Hey I appreciate the honesty, this would be a great gig for me to take soI I'm going to take it if I get the final offer regardless of the situation. I think I'll go with Chamberlain being it's closer than Pierre. Any info on Oacoma?

On a more recreational note how's the trout fishing that way?
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#3]
If you live in chamberlian, pack your fishing gear. World class walleye.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thats awesome! I've never caught them that would be first. I was stationed in North East for a few years and got addicted to trout, how's the trout out there?
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#5]
What kind of job with the BIA?
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats awesome! I've never caught them that would be first. I was stationed in North East for a few years and got addicted to trout, how's the trout out there?

You have to go to the black hills for trout, 200 miles or so from chamberlain.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

LEO.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd advise not to do it but that's just me.

Quoted:

Quoted:

LEO.

Link Posted: 12/8/2011 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to go to the black hills for trout, 200 miles or so from chamberlain.

That's not too bad.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 10:29:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Fishing on the Mo is great but not even close to how bad ass it is in Florida.  Live as far off the res as possible.   Buy a varmint rifle!
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Lived and grew up in Oacoma..... they made me go to school East River.

Nice area. Double up on the not living on the rez suggestion above. In face someone that works with the BIA just moved into the place kitty-korner from the parents in Oacoma.

The property values have risen quite a bit in the last 15-20 years for sure. I know of some apartments in Oacoma renting in the $650 a month range, but they are full all the time.
My wife is from Oacoma also. Her Grandfather died here about a month and a half ago and her grandmother is probably going to be moving out and selling the house in the next 6 months... It has a nice view of the river though. I think the plan is to put it up on an Auction, but I am not 100% sure. IM if you want more details.

No opportunity for the Degree in Chamberlain area. From there you are looking at the above in Pierre (about an hour and half drive) or over to Mitchell (hour dive) to Dakota Wesleyan University (Private) or Mitchell Technical Institute. I am pretty sure DWU has the Social degree, but not sure about MTI.

Anyway, need more info let me know!

Good Luck!

ETA:

I forgot that one of the Auctioneers does some work with real estate:
http://www.petersonlandauction.com/CurrentListings.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top