Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 9:47:07 AM EDT
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Legislative Action Committee

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Nashville Chapter Meetings for September and October 2010

Change of Meeting Nights

Nashville Chapter has received commitments from the two Gubernatorial candidates to meet with the Nashville Chapter to discuss their perspectives on 2nd Amendment and State constitutional issues.  

Although the Nashville Chapter normally meets on the 3rd Tuesday of each month, in order to make these arrangements it has been necessary change the meeting nights for the next two meetings only.

We have scheduled Mike McWherter for Monday, September 20, 2010

We have scheduled Bill Haslam for Monday, October 18, 2010

Please keep in mind that these meetings are primarily to have an open discussion with these candidates about their position on the issues that members of the TFA view as important related to topics such as firearms use and ownership, 2nd Amendment rights, civilian handgun permits, changes in the "thou shalt nots" (i.e., restrictions), opening local parks, and even 10th Amendment issues.  While there are many other issues such as taxes, education, etc., that are of interest, we want to explore the organization's topical issues as much as possible before addressing off-topic issues.

Meeting time is 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 pm

When we have had guests of this interest level in the past there have been limits on the available room space which is approximately 90 people.  If is important to arrive early (particularly if you plan to eat) and conclude the meal as much as possible prior to the meeting time.

Arrive early - 5:00 to 5:30 would be good. Eat in the meeting room if possible and if not, get as close as you can. We will try to finishing eating by 6:45 in the meeting room to clear out everything but drinks for the meeting if we have a large turnout.

315 Old Lebanon Dirt Rd
Hermitage, TN 37076
(615) 874-1313

IT IS IMPORTANT TO PAY AT GOLDEN CORRAL AS YOU COME IN FOR THE MEETING IF YOU ARE EATING. TELL THEM THAT AT THE CASH REGISTER THAT YOU ARE THERE FOR THE MEETING AND TO APPLY THE "GROUP RATE" WHICH INCLUDES YOUR DRINK.

You do not have to be a TFA member to attend nor do you have to be a resident of Nashville. Everyone is welcome and encourage to bring guests - even spouses.

I want to encourage each of you to bring someone with you to the meeting who has not been to one or been to one recently. There's no cost to come (unless you eat because the meal is on you).

Finally, we have had requests to stream the meetings.  We are trying to make the arrangements to do so but we do not have that set up at this time.  If that becomes available, we will update it on the TFA Forum under the Nashville Chapter section.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
John Harris
Executive Director

Copyright,  Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc. 2010
Copyright, John Harris 2010
P.O. Box 198722, Nashville, TN 37219Hope to see you there!

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Edited to post the "official announcement".

David

www.tfaonline.org

www.tfaonline.org/forum
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
taggage
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]
bumpage
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:59:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Is there a chance that pumpkinhead's offspring could win?
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 7:26:58 AM EDT
[#4]
It's Tennessee politics:  of course there's a chance!!!

Now, as to how much of one, I don't know.   I've not been able to catch much news lately, so don't know what the
pundits are saying.

Best way to do something about it, though, is to get out and vote!

David
www.tfaonline.org

www.tfaonline.org/forum
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Is there a chance that pumpkinhead's offspring could win?

+1 on always a chance. Virtually every county west of Davidson leans towards Dim & that includes Davidson as a general rule. Lots of Dim voters there.

McWherter's problem is (& he doesn't get hammered on it, IMO) is that he has NO experience in a govt body as an elected official. I don't think the Gov's office should be the learning lab for OJT, IMO.

Other Dim's will say his lack of experience will be a plus for him, perhaps making him not as tainted as a former House/Senate holder?  

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:Other Dim's will say his lack of experience will be a plus for him, perhaps making him not as tainted as a former House/Senate holder?  

True...but then it's also true of Haslam, up to a point.  At least he has government experience, as a chief executive, namely, Mayor of Knoxville.

David

P.S.

Hey, Bob, please check your PMs.  Hope to see you at the TFA meeting Monday night.

David

www.tfaonline.org

www.tfaonline.org/forum

Link Posted: 9/20/2010 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Final bump for tonight's meeting...

Link Posted: 9/21/2010 2:29:52 AM EDT
[#8]
McWherter was politely but coolly received last night, IMO. He got a deer-in-the-headlights look when pressed on "what does the 2nd mean to YOU?" question. All he would do is stammer something about keeping one's firearms. He mentioned his dad (former House Speaker & two-term Gov) multiple times.  

All he mentioned was owning some shotties & recently bought a Taurus Judge "for snakes". IOW, he's a Fudd. He never once mentioned keeping one's firearms in case of a disaster, ala` an earthquake in Memphis or a melt-down in Oak Ridge.

He mentioned his long-time membership in the NRA, which amounts nothing more than writing a check, IMO. McWherter also was informed that gun owners aren't too fond of his opponet either. But he struck out saying what he (should have) been strongly feeling about the 2nd, IMO.

Let's see what David thought................?
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 6:46:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree with Bob...Mr. McWherter was civilly received by the Nashville Chapter of the Tennessee Firearms Association.  His initial comments
were greeted with polite applause.  However, when the subject turned to gun-related issues, he was what can only charitably be described
as shaky ground.

Thanks to TFA member WorriedMan, we have video of Mr. McWherter's comments.  You may judge his reponses for yourself:

Mike McWherter about Restaurant Carry:  http://www.tfaonline.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3522

McWherter on the Tennessee Firearms Freedom Act:  http://www.tfaonline.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3523

We hope to have more videos as they're available.

David

www.tfaonline.org

www.tfaonline.org/forum

Link Posted: 9/21/2010 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like to me our choices for Governor are :

a highly polished turd or a dull unpolished turd.

Just great.

Link Posted: 9/22/2010 2:15:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sounds like to me our choices for Governor are :

a highly polished turd or a dull unpolished turd.

Just great.

OTOH, who would you rather the Gov have running his party, Jimmy Naifeh (sp?) or Speaker Williams (RINO)?

Personally, *I* don't want Naifeh anywhere near our next several Gov's.  

I'll hold my nose (or worse) & vote for Haslam. At least he knows at this point we DO have a choice in whom we vote for.  There's minimal difference between them, IMO. WcWherter is a Fudd whom would throw black rifles under the bus (seemingly) & Haslam could care less as he has his own security & probably doesn't even shoot.

The next election may bring up no choice at all, someone we won't like at all, out of Memphis perhaps?  
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Vote Brandon Dodds - no "Nose holding" required.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What? No love for Basil Marceaux?

Link Posted: 9/22/2010 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What? No love for Basil Marceaux?

Basil Marceaux.com is an interesting man. He has some good ideas. He has some unique delivery.
Good idea, bad packaging?
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How old do you have to be to run in TN?

Y'all could just write me in.

I'm planning on it.

No, really....you have my vote. I'm writing you in.  I said that in the other Haslam thread from last week.

Read the 10th post in the thread. Notice it is un-edited.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=38&t=424848

Link Posted: 9/23/2010 5:50:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top