Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2009 7:54:31 PM EDT
This past weekend, Hero-Gear and well known photographer Oleg Volk were proud to host an industry only/invite only event in the beautiful mountains that run along the TN/AL border.

The purpose of this event was to bring a select group of firearms industry members, writers, bloggers, radio personalities, photographers, and videographers together to share ideas, fellowship, and to have a good time.

Over 60 participants from places like CA, TN, GA, AL, MN, WI, OH, CT, NY, and IN ensured that a wide array of equipment and ideas would be shared over the weekend.

There were over 600gb of photos taken over the weekend, and I thought I would share a few with you guys:

We take our Zombie problem pretty seriously here in Tennessee!

Daddy's little girl rock'n da fiddy

LWRC PDW

Yep, it's the Kel-Tec

P90

Ruger No. 1 45/70   (450 grains of pain)

M1 Garand chambered in .458

Many more to follow in the coming days/weeks
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
yeah, im the "dope on a rope..."

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 3:00:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow... nice... I am definitely jealous, looks like a GREAT time!  
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 6:14:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Awesome!...Great stuff there
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Best. Weekend. Ever.

Big thanks to everybody at Hero Gear and Round Cove!  (I'm the big fat guy who brought my sons and my dad.)  My wife was on vacation in Minnesota with my mom and my sister at the time, so they had all the cameras and all my photos are little cell phone bits.  I'm looking all over for everyone else's photos.

Being from Illinois, dad and the boys didn't really believe there were places where people own suppressors and machine guns, much less grenade launchers and mortars.  I think I fired maybe 10-20 rounds all weekend, but I was loading magazines like mad!  :)
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Best. Weekend. Ever.

Big thanks to everybody at Hero Gear and Round Cove!  (I'm the big fat guy who brought my sons and my dad.)  My wife was on vacation in Minnesota with my mom and my sister at the time, so they had all the cameras and all my photos are little cell phone bits.  I'm looking all over for everyone else's photos.

Being from Illinois, dad and the boys didn't really believe there were places where people own suppressors and machine guns, much less grenade launchers and mortars.  I think I fired maybe 10-20 rounds all weekend, but I was loading magazines like mad!  :)

You mean this big ugly guy?

It was great meeting you guys this weekend!
Glad your family made the trip, and hope you guys can make again next time.

You can view more here:  Hero-Gear Facebook Fan Page

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#7]
HA!  Yeah, that's me with the new Kel-Tec RFB . . . suppressed.  It really is as short as it looks, and it is pretty handy, but if you try to leave with it in your pants they catch on pretty quickly.

They also make you clean it before they'll take it back.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Great Pics Thanks for sharing .
A+ to the Photographer .
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
HA!  Yeah, that's me with the new Kel-Tec RFB . . . suppressed.  It really is as short as it looks, and it is pretty handy, but if you try to leave with it in your pants they catch on pretty quickly.

They also make you clean it before they'll take it back.

How was it on accuracy?

I only got to do a quick and dirty zero on it before I had to leave.

Nice meeting you guys also that showed up for the shoot.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice pics thanks for sharing

edit for question: where can a man get 1 of those TN Zombie shirts?
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nice pics thanks for sharing

edit for question: where can a man get 1 of those TN Zombie shirts?

Well, I would tell you, but Hank's spider senses would go off and he would swoop in here with the ban-hammer....

Hank...is this ok?

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:53:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:05:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks Guys
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:20:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Robocop, I never fired it.  I brought 12-year-old twin boys to the shoot, so I spent most of the hot-range time loading magazines as fast as I could and supervising their shooting.  I estimate that I may have fired 30 rounds that weekend, maybe a few more depending on how many were in a sweet suppressed 10/22 I got pressed into shooting.

I heard it was hard to get the RFB sighted in, but my main concern with it would still be the ejection.  I've heard Kel-Tec say that there's no surface where the casings can get enough friction to stop up that forward ejection chute, but in the example I held, where the stamped-metal chute reaches the front sight block, the sight block is cut square while the chute is a U-shaped channel.  Therefore there's a spot on the lower right where the case has been traveling in a round-bottom chute, and then it encounters a slight lip.

Now, most of the time, that won't matter, because the cases will be lying flat in the chute like logs in a flume, and they'll be facing forward, so the only part that will encounter that lip will be the sloped shoulder of the case.  But let the angle of the case change, and it makes me wonder.  Now, that's nothing but my speculation, of course.  I didn't observe anyone with a failure to feed or eject, and we were out there in the dirt.  And frankly, the lip I'm talking about would take a few minutes to correct with a dremel at your kitchen table.  Also, I don't know if the RFB Oleg had for the shoot was a full production piece, so I hesitate to criticize minor machining issues like that one that may not even be seen on the rifles that ship.  But that was my impression.

On the upside, the ejection worked great for a variety of shooters, and I really like the concept.  I still have a few rough patches on my left elbow from 2nd degree burns sustained from .223 brass at an Appleseed event two weeks ago, and I had to set up a barrier to keep my brass off my son at the same event.   The RFB would never have that problem, and it's true also that it is perfectly ambidextrous.  There is no operation that is different for a lefty than a righty on that gun, which is nice.

I would need to know where the price will settle in the end before I decided whether to buy one.  Also, I can't legally own the suppressor in Illinois, but I honestly don't think I'd want one on the RFB, at least in .308.  Why bother?  The thing was louder with the suppressor than a .45 without, and I wear ears to shoot those.  Maybe in .300 Whisper or something, but not .308.  If I have to wear ear protection, I don't really see the point of the suppressor.  It's not going to hide my position, it's not going to keep my neighbors from complaining about the noise, and it's not going to get rid of my ear protection.  What other reason is there to suppress a gun?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top