Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2014 7:24:42 AM EDT
Back in the area for an extended vacation.  It has been 20 years since I have spent much of any time around here.  Are there any local shooting areas that people frequent? Or do I need to go to Keno?
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Been a few years since I left, but two popular spots (i.e., no secrets here) were Hagelstein (marshy lakebed at the top of the windy, steep-ass FS road, off 97 at Hagelstein Park) and Balsam.. rock pits out on Balsam Drive, which takes off right where 140, 66, and 97 come together south of town.  We usually went to Balsam just b/c it was quicker, but there was ALWAYS other folks there.

There's also a rock pit off, ahh, I think it was Hill rd... wherever the BLM rd you take to get up Stukel takes off at... anyway, I never got hassled there but I'm not sure of its status.

A couple other spots back in the woods, off 140 on the west side, but my memory isn't clear.

Sportsman's Park was pretty nice, though.  I liked it.  Plus I had a bunch of secret spots, mostly east of town out in the Fremont forest and further towards Lakeview.  Then again, I didn't mind the longer drives.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Some of the area off of Hill road is gated now, too much junk was being left behind and the powers that be closed it. Balsam Drive is still an option, there's even a push from a group of shooters to get out there to pick up trash. Sure is irritating that some people are so irresponsible. Hagelstein has a bunch of junk in that small gravel pit too; maybe another push to clean that up would be a good idea as well.

Sportsman's park is awesome, the 200 and 600 yard ranges are all new from when you were here. The pistol range has nice upgrades as well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Balsam always was kind of a sh*thole.  I never really liked it, but, it was close to town & easy to get to.  Glad to hear some folks are trying to put a little effort into it.

We always went to the big open lake-bed way up at the top of Hagelstein road... used to shoot tracers there at night, too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses.  I am trying to re orient myself with the area, and having a bit of a time scratching my head to remember these areas.  I am not really too fond of the town it's self, but I sure do love the mountains and woods around here.  If I could ever get a decent work schedule I would totally be down to help in any clean up!
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Any new ideas here on this subject?  I have been up Hagelstein (sp) and on the gravel road on Balsam.  I have a few other places I have found, but still looking for more.  There are a couple gravel pits behind my house that I go to as well.  Pretty far up the mountain off the lake, but still decent places to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top