Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2010 12:03:06 AM EDT
http://www.kgw.com/news/Camo-clad-burglary-suspect-arrested-near-museum-104991249.html

Camo-clad burglary suspect arrested near museum

Credit: Washington County

Camo-clad burglary suspect arrested near museum

by David Krough
Bio | Email | Follow: @KGWNews

kgw.com

Posted on October 14, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Updated yesterday at 4:47 PM

HILLSBORO - A burglary suspect clad in full sniper camoflauge was arrested hiding in the woods near the Rice Northwest Museum of Rocks and Minerals Thursday.

A caretaker had reported a suspicious hole being cut from an outside bathroom into the building and police set up extra security.

The next day, deputies found a suspicious bike and backpack nearby.

A K9 unit soon found 36-year-old Gregory Liascos hiding in the woods, dressed head to toe in camouflage.

Investigators said the K-9 hit on a spot on the ground then bit, and the hiding suspect cried out in pain. He was not seriously hurt.

Not clothing, but a full-body Ghillie suit, that is similarily used by police and military snipers and scouts.

Nothing was stolen and Liascos was charged with burglary and criminal mischief.

Link Posted: 10/15/2010 6:45:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Well... now we have a picture of Benjio...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=36&t=426413

Link Posted: 10/15/2010 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#2]
dang.  You guys put that one together way faster than I figured you would...  and you even hot-linked me.  
That story came on the news last night while my wife and I were sitting in the living room.  She was drinking a glass of wine and I was marking the back of a BDU top for where the cuts are gonna go so I can sew in the mesh back panel...  I had a bunch of the fabric and jute laid out and she looked over at me and just smiled.  Pretty funny coincidence; that doesn't happen every day.  We had a little laugh.
I was wondering if that place would get hit again any time soon since it was in the news after the last job and they kinda advertised to the world how much valuable stuff is in there.  I've never been there, but I was hoping to take my girls someday when they get old enough.  I hope it stays open that long and they don't just shut the whole thing down on account of these aholes.
you'll never see me coming, but I guess the dogs might smell me...     Benji      
eta: that is pretty awesome the sheriff's office released a pic of him with the suit still on; pretty funny.

Link Posted: 10/15/2010 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#3]
That's great!
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Benjio, please don't use that picture as a guide to making yours.   It is waaaaaaaay overdone.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Benjio, please don't use that picture as a guide to making yours.   It is waaaaaaaay overdone.

That's funny you mention that.  The one I bought online was kinda close to that, so I sent it back.

I'm making one from scratch right now on a set of BDU's.  There's a good how-to thread going right now over on lightfighter.  But the best info I got was from GreenO.  He's a member here; he and his brother own Griffin Armament.  I bought a couple cans from him and asked him if he had any advice on making a suit.  He dropped a ton of great info, helped a lot.

Link Posted: 10/15/2010 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Awesome!  

I read that story this morning, and I was hoping there'd be an ORHTF thread about it.  Another would-be super genius foiled by Officer Dog.  Take a bite out of crime!

Maybe a dumb question, but what does the museum have that people are so keen to steal?
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#7]
This was actually my call......when I saw him in the ghillie suit, all I could think of was you Benji
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Awesome!  

I read that story this morning, and I was hoping there'd be an ORHTF thread about it.  Another would-be super genius foiled by Officer Dog.  Take a bite out of crime!

Maybe a dumb question, but what does the museum have that people are so keen to steal?

Its off the beaten path, and honestly up until all the recent activity, I didn't even know it existed.  It is a rock and mineral museum....its kind of a funky setup, it is a retro-fitted house turned museum.  I had never been inside prior to this incident and after we cleared the building, I got to look around.....They have quite a large variety of various rocks and mineral deposits.  They have a HUGE (I think it said 200#) fools gold chunk, which looks pretty crazy.....I dont know how much they charge, but they have some pretty cool different rocks inside.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Crazy.  I worked a lot of scrapper cases up north, when metals were so high, but this is the first rock and/or minerals robbery I've heard of.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Crazy.  I worked a lot of scrapper cases up north, when metals were so high, but this is the first rock and/or minerals robbery I've heard of.

Ya its been hit before....that time it was the grandson I think and he got alot of gold, which is stored in a large safe, which he had the combo to.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This was actually my call......when I saw him in the ghillie suit, all I could think of was you Benji

that means alot.  

That museum has something like a few million dollars worth of gold and rare gems, at least that was the story last time after it got hit by the grandson.  After it got thrust into the limelight and the news reported on how much valuable stuff was in there I was kinda wondering how long it'd be before somebody tried to knock it up again.  I couldn't have guessed they'd catch somebody and get a "mug" shot of them in a g-suit; that's just priceless.

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#12]
yeah - that rocket surgeon obviously didn't know how he was going to crack the safe once he got in there... but A for effort.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top