Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 12:02:01 PM EDT
The overall idea

In Speed Steel there are normally six courses of fire. You have an opportunity to shoot each course of fire five times. Your score (time for that course of fire) is your four best times (they throw out your worst). In each course of fire you are only required to make up to six hits; remember shot does not equal hit. Some people are good and can do it in six shots, some (like me) need more ammo. When it’s your turn to shoot, you’ll come to the line (shooters box), prepare, shoot the course of fire, shoot it, stop and prepare to shoot it again, to where you shoot it five times. After everyone on your squad has had an opportunity to shoot the course of fire, you’ll pack up and move along to the next bay/course of fire.

Ammo

So, six courses of fire, times five runs, times six hits is 180, the number of rounds you’ll need if you don’t miss. I’ve never gone through more than 300 rounds in one event (that is a lot of misses). My first time out I took half a case of ammo (500 rounds) just to be sure. I usually go out with 250 rounds and an extra emergency box of 50 rounds, just to be sure.

Classes

There are four classes in Speed Steel and they have to do with the pistols used. There is the Open or Unlimited class. If you’re running any kind of compensator and/or optical sight, you’re in the Open class. Then there is Limited class which encompasses semi-automatic pistols without compensators and with iron sights. There is the Revolver class and a class for 22s. A 22 revolver is considered in the 22 class not the revolver class (I already tried) and if you want to get real picky, revolvers can also be split into Open and Limited. In the 22 class you don’t need to draw from a holster, you are allowed to start from the low ready.

Equipment

Don’t think for a second that you’ll need an ultra racey comp gun and thousands in gear to be able to come out and shoot (some of the fastest guys around run stock Glocks). Bring a pistol that you’re comfortable with and give it a try. As there are five runs for each course of fire it does help if you have five magazines (or more if miss and need to reload). If you only have a couple magazines though, don’t sweat it, someone can stand behind you and the RO and reload your magazines for you as you go. Also, if it’s your first time out, you don’t need to have a holster; the match director usually lets fist time people start from the low ready position. It does make a lot of sense, there’s no point in you buying a bunch of equipment for a sport you may not like. If you come back for seconds, you need to gat a holster. There’s a lot of folks who just use the inexpensive Uncle Mikes holsters from Bi-Mart as they start out. Or take a look on e-pay, you can find some nice stuff there for little money. Magazine holders are not required, there is no running around, you can just set your spare magazines on the barrel next to you.

2006 matches

Tri County Gun Club holds their monthly Speed Steel matches the first Sunday of each month at 9AM (despite what the TCGC calendar might say). Check out the Oregon Speed Steel website for additional information. The match director is Nick Leonard.

TheAlbany Rifle and Pistol Club holds their monthly Speed Steel matches on the third Saturday of each month at 9AM. Paul Johnson is the match director.

Just a heads up. Sometimes special events interfere with regularly scheduled events; please double check the club's calendar and ask the match director to be sure of the shoot before making the drive.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#2]
How long do the matches last? +/- setup/tear down time?

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#3]
At Tri-County Nick will set up the night before, you’re welcome to show up early (8AM) and give the course a couple practice runs. Things are usually going by nine and done by 1 or 2PM depending on the number of shooters and how quickly everything goes. The squads that run faster usually start tearing down stages as the slower squads are finishing up.

In Albany Paul shows up about 7AM to set up. Match start at 9AM and we’re usually done by 1 or 2PM there too. Paul only runs Speed Steel in three bays so as the squads move through there is a reset. He does have the option of taking up more bays as more shooters come out to participate, but the Albany crowd isn’t too big.

A short answer to your question, show up a bit early (I usually shoot for about 8:30 and plan on sticking around until about 1 or 2PM.

If there is something where you need to leave early, everybody is usually good at letting you shoot through.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks much for the detailed info.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you very much.

Will be making the March SS.

Will also be putting the time in on the plasma cutter making some 8-10 and 12" gongs as soon as the steel arrives!!! Should have some for the next arfcom shoot!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thank you very much.

Will also be putting the time in on the plasma cutter making some 8-10 and 12" gongs as soon as the steel arrives!!! Should have some for the next arfcom shoot!

Guys...this is a tacked thread. I would suggest that only questions/info be posted.

Peta you should delete this, Cape's, etc. post to clean up this tack.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thank you very much.

Guys...this is a tacked thread. I would suggest that only questions/info be posted.

Post whore?

mod in training pants?

Dont you have anything better to do?

Dont forget, I was the one that asked for this thread in the first place!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you have to get 'certified' in a class prior to shooting like the tactical shoot and I think IPSC requires?

Thanks!
Dave
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Speed steel does not require any training class.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I think this would also be a fun event for the young ones. My 12 year old asked to shoot the next match. I think I will wait unilt the april or may match and give her a bit more practice time.

CH
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#11]
My 16 year old niece enjoyed it, is planning to be there this month. Would be nice to have a few other women shooters as well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My 16 year old niece enjoyed it, is planning to be there this month. Would be nice to have a few other women shooters as well.

Dang I'm going to get beat by you and your niece?
Oh well I'm get used to this bottom feeder thingy.

Hope to see you all there.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well she is only 12 but you should have seen the look on her face while dumping 30 round mags out of a Norell 10/22 over the weekend!

She likes the idea that she is racing a clock. Gives her the ability to practice away from the range court etc.... I am going to say it get ready..........Even thought of an airsoft pistol for practice in the garage.

I feel sick after saying that

See you all on sunday.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#14]

I am soooo not a threat. Last month placed 30th out of 35 but I have alot of fun
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I am soooo not a threat. Last month placed 30th out of 35 but I have alot of fun

Well then maybe we can hang out, because I'm a bottom third feeder as well.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't worry, I hope to get into SS and PP in a month or two.  Both of you will be able to crush the rank newbie then.

But only for a while....  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:12:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Okay, it's official. It was a blast. Shooting "Speed .22's" was very fun (and cheap).

Oh, and jsut so I can post this in a tacked thread:

Seriously though, I think I went through all of $5 of ammo and had a good time. Even did some R.O.'ing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thank you very much.

This also goes for the post prior to this one.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thank you very much.

This also goes for the post prior to this one.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you use cast lead for shooting steel?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I suppose you can, but most of us generally use whatevers the cheapest non-steel ammo we can find. Steel core stuff is a no-no.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I suppose you can, but most of us generally use whatevers the cheapest non-steel ammo we can find. Steel core stuff is a no-no.

So FMJ doesn't ricochet?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:32:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't believe that they were staying intacked. However some of the lead was flying back to the sides of the shooters. I know I was hit by two pieces of jacket falling from the sky when I was behind the firing line. That's why I always wear shooting glasses.

Nox
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top