Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/18/2011 3:56:46 AM EDT
A bill working its way through the S.C. House would allow anyone who can legally purchase a gun to carry it concealed without a permit, and allow them to carry it concealed into churches and restaurants that serve alcohol.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/02/18/2071450/sc-legislators-consider-lessening.html

ETA

If this is a dupe, please feel free to delete Mods
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 5:25:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A bill working its way through the S.C. House would allow anyone who can legally purchase a gun to carry it concealed without a permit, and allow them to carry it concealed into churches and restaurants that serve alcohol.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/02/18/2071450/sc-legislators-consider-lessening.html

Quote from article:The S.C. Sheriffs' Association opposes the measure and said background checks are needed as well as restrictions on where guns can be carried. The group said gun rights advocates want to erode the law.
I hope no one here contributes money to the SC sheriff's association. If you do, please stop. The law would require a person to be legally able to purchase a gun. That means the person would have to be able to pass a background check. If a person carries and could not pass a background check, they would be in violation of the law and could be arrested. This is sufficient. No need to require a person to go through a background check before carrying. Gun rights advocates do not want to erode the law. We simply want to do away with laws that restrict the good people while enabling the criminals. The bad guys get to carry their guns anywhere they want. Why can't the good people?
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 6:04:57 AM EDT
[#2]
BOOM!!!

"Shall not be infringed....."  

The Right to Bear Arms is just that, a RIGHT.  Why do I have to go to a class, register with the state, and get an ID Card to be authorized to Bear Arms?  

Way to go, South Carolina!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Just this morning my son was saying he wants to live in SC.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 8:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Good, the restaurant thing especially needs to go.  Not having to pay to renew my permit would be nice too.

I'm a little worried about how this would affect reciprocity, but it's a huge step in the right direction.  I've got a FL non-resident permit anyway, that should cover me for most of the other states I visit.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Wonder how this will affect LEOs interacting with armed subjects? Guess the armed person may be detained and have their criminal history ran in order to determine if they are legally able to purchase a handgun. Wonder if there will be a check on mental health status as well?
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wonder how this will affect LEOs interacting with armed subjects? Guess the armed person may be detained and have their criminal history ran in order to determine if they are legally able to purchase a handgun. Wonder if there will be a check on mental health status as well?

I've always wondered about the MH status check since, by in large, information related to MH isn't going to be readily put out there or available to LEO (or anyone else) as it is part of the medical record. Certainly none of my diagnostics or tests are. Even LEO asking friendly questions get the same HIPPA compliant answers..

––NC Licensed Therapist
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#7]
This is great.  

As far as interactions with LEO, well, there are 3 other states that have Constitutional Carry type laws and two have been doing so for quite some time, so maybe, just maybe those LE agency's procedures could provide some ideas.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#8]
This sucks!

Well, if they get rid of the CCW permits, then I lose reciprocity with NC.  If they maintain CCW permits and also allow any Joe Schmoe to carry concealed without permit, then that would be great.

What's the final wording like?  Are we losing the CCW program?
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#9]
It would be nice if they kept the CWP program as an option for those that needed reciprocity with certain states.  I wonder if the reduced number of permit applications would be enough to fund the program?  Or is this being done, in part, to reduce costs to the state?
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This sucks!

Well, if they get rid of the CCW permits, then I lose reciprocity with NC.  If they maintain CCW permits and also allow any Joe Schmoe to carry concealed without permit, then that would be great.

What's the final wording like?  Are we losing the CCW program?

Uh, are you a registered voter? If so, you may want to call your reps and TELL them what YOU want instead of just waiting for them to decide for you.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good, the restaurant thing especially needs to go.  Not having to pay to renew my permit would be nice too.

I'm a little worried about how this would affect reciprocity, but it's a huge step in the right direction.

I'm with you, as these are all very good points.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a little worried about how this would affect reciprocity, but it's a huge step in the right direction.

Agreed,
I Seem to one of the few who thinks the training requirement is a good thing..

Link Posted: 2/19/2011 4:39:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I believe to that some training in the laws would be beneficial to cc.  While on the other hand it is good that SC is taking this step.  Hardly anything is a win win.  Maybe if they made you take a class anyway and just carry a certificate from a instructor to show that you had been "trained" would be good.  Instead of going through the whole ccw permit application.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed,
I Seem to one of the few who thinks the training requirement is a good thing..

Link Posted: 2/19/2011 7:16:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't know how they will be able to check mental health issues.
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#15]
This is great news!
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm a little worried about how this would affect reciprocity, but it's a huge step in the right direction.  I've got a FL non-resident permit anyway, that should cover me for most of the other states I visit.

Just realized........

Don't most states only give you a non-resident permit if you already have one in your home state?  So I wonder how it would work with those in SC who don't have a CWP yet, and this goes through, and then trying to get an out-of-state nonresident permit somewhere.    

EDIT:  I just looked it up, and Alaska, Arizona and Vermont already have a "no permit needed" policy in place.  Arizona and Alaska will still issue permits to those who want it for reciprocity reasons.  Vermont won't issue them, period, and residents must get non-resident permits from other states to get reciprocity.  Florida is said to be the favorite, as they have the most reciprocity in the US.
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm excited but I'm not so sure I like the idea of allowing anyone who can legally own a handgun to carry concealed. There should be a certain amount of education (such as state laws) a person needs to have before carrying. A pistol is not a decoration.

The first words out of my instructor's mouth was this: "You are all here today because you have made a conscious decision to take another person's life to protect your life or that of your family's" (may not be verbatim but darn close)
That struck hard and I saw some immediately began to have second thoughts.
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm excited but I'm not so sure I like the idea of allowing anyone who can legally own a handgun to carry concealed. There should be a certain amount of education (such as state laws) a person needs to have before carrying. A pistol is not a decoration.

The first words out of my instructor's mouth was this: "You are all here today because you have made a conscious decision to take another person's life to protect your life or that of your family's" (may not be verbatim but darn close)
That struck hard and I saw some immediately began to have second thoughts.

I can understand where you are coming from.  

Maybe look into the stats for Alaska, Arizona or Vermont, as they already have a "no permit needed" policy in place.  Maybe what you find will ease your mind (or confirm your thoughts) on the issue.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 4:33:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I like this law, because it would make it very hard for you to lose your right to carry a handgun (I guess you would have to lose your right to buy a handgun, like a felony).

One downside I see is it takes away one of the arguments I use against anti gun people: "I have passed criminal, and mental health background checks, I have taken a class on NC firearm laws, and have shown a level of proficiency with a handgun, thus the sheriff believes I am of capable mind and body to carry a firearm, why would you think otherwise?"
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 4:46:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like this law, because it would make it very hard for you to lose your right to carry a handgun (I guess you would have to lose your right to buy a handgun, like a felony).

One downside I see is it takes away one of the arguments I use against anti gun people: "I have passed criminal, and mental health background checks, I have taken a class on NC firearm laws, and have shown a level of proficiency with a handgun, thus the sheriff believes I am of capable mind and body to carry a firearm, why would you think otherwise?"

Well, if SC follows Alaska and Arizona's lead, they'll still issue CWP's to those who want them for reciprocity reasons.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know how I feel about this yet. One one hand I like the idea of an AK, VT, etc. style carry, but on the other hand, I like the reciprocity we have with NC and FL, two places I go a lot. Also, I like the fact that I don't have to wait on a NICS check ( i know I can pass it, i just hate the possibility of a delay if their system is down.)
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#22]
how  long is this supposed to take
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't know how I feel about this yet. One one hand I like the idea of an AK, VT, etc. style carry, but on the other hand, I like the reciprocity we have with NC and FL, two places I go a lot. Also, I like the fact that I don't have to wait on a NICS check ( i know I can pass it, i just hate the possibility of a delay if their system is down.)

I agree; I prefer that folks have some idea of the laws too.  Just because we haven't had any major issues doesn't mean it won't take just one media hyped snafu to screw things up.  I still don't believe a lot of the folks who carry have considered the actual ramifications of shooting someone.  I've heard folks with carry permits make comments like shooting to wound for example.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:02:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I hope NC is the next to jump on this train.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I dont think the plan is to get rid of the Permits, you will just need the permit to carry in other states, you would no longer need it to carry here.

Atelast that was my understanding after listening to a Grassroots gentleman on the radio
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:04:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I live in SC, but I am in NC more than I am here. I also get delayed every time I go through NICS. As a collector that can be troublesome. So I really really hope they keep the permit for those of us who want it. I like the idea of constitutional carry, but I also like the idea of having people carrying trained and checked. My ideal solution would be more of a tiered system, everyone (who can legally purchase a pistol) can carry their pistols where the current laws allow, and CWP holders can carry anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:15:53 AM EDT
[#27]
SC's reciprocity sucks...in that they only honor a handful of other states.  However, now, if CCW is allowed in SC for anyone, i think that will allow the states who SC never recognized start to recognize SC.  

SC was one of the more strict places with regards to training and certification.  This new law is ver puzzling to me.  

As long as they maintain the permit services so that I can have reciprocity, I am all for this new law.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
SC's reciprocity sucks...in that they only honor a handful of other states.  However, now, if CCW is allowed in SC for anyone, i think that will allow the states who SC never recognized start to recognize SC.

SC was one of the more strict places with regards to training and certification.  This new law is ver puzzling to me.  

As long as they maintain the permit services so that I can have reciprocity, I am all for this new law.

If SC doesn't continue their permits along with the new program it will lose reciprocity with many states, not gain. Many states have minimum requirements and SC won't meet those.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:41:09 AM EDT
[#29]
I get the idea of "but I like people to have training".  But really, not much "training" is required for a CWP here as it is.  Most places I looked at only require you to put 50 rounds down range and sit in a class for a few hours.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If SC doesn't continue their permits along with the new program it will lose reciprocity with many states, not gain. Many states have minimum requirements and SC won't meet those.

Yes, but many of the southern states that don't have reciprocity with SC don't have it because THEY don't meet SC's minimums.  For SC to turn 180 degrees and get rid of all the requirements seems very odd to me given that their requirements are more strict than many.  

If SC does away with the permit system, I will have only a few options.

1.  Move back to NC (not going to happen unless I win the lottery as I bought my first home in 2009 and can't afford a house in Charlotte)
2.  Find a job in SC so I don't have to go to NC every day (though I still do alot of shopping in NC, as Charlotte is just 5 miles away)
3.  Get a non-resident CCW from a state that has reciprocity with NC

I think option 3 is my best bet.  I heard Florida has a decent program that's good for like 7 years.  Is this true?  I need to start looking into this anyway...even if SC keeps the permits, FL has more reciprocity than SC.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#31]
The thing about non resident permits(unless I am mistaken) is that some states do not recognize that permit unless you are a actual  resident from that state.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#32]
I would prefer it is the law allowed open carry.  If you wanted to conceal, then you would need the permit.  A few other states follow that rule of thumb.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The thing about non resident permits(unless I am mistaken) is that some states do not recognize that permit unless you are a actual  resident from that state.

If that's the case, then it must be very few states that do that.  Because getting non-resident permits for reciprocity reasons is a very popular and common thing to do.  I can't imagine so many people would do it, otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but many of the southern states that don't have reciprocity with SC don't have it because THEY don't meet SC's minimums.  For SC to turn 180 degrees and get rid of all the requirements seems very odd to me given that their requirements are more strict than many.  

1.  Move back to NC (not going to happen unless I win the lottery as I bought my first home in 2009 and can't afford a house in Charlotte)
2.  Find a job in SC so I don't have to go to NC every day (though I still do alot of shopping in NC, as Charlotte is just 5 miles away)

I think option 3 is my best bet.  I heard Florida has a decent program that's good for like 7 years.  Is this true?  I need to start looking into this anyway...even if SC keeps the permits, FL has more reciprocity than SC.

You have to include a copy of your SC permit with your FL application.  Paperwork and directions are found on the FL Department of Agriculture website.  FDACS Concealed Weapons Program
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I know that a step towards less government involved in our lives is a good one. But I was thinking about it and I still don't know how I feel about this. I mean are the requirements we have now really stopping any people like us that are really set on defending ourselves, carry everyday, are very proficient with a gun, etc.. from getting a CWP and carrying? I guess what I'm trying to say is isn't everyone that's serious about defending themselves going to get a CWP anyway or already has. Even though the training required now is not much its better than nothing. I'm just imagining possible headlines of "untrained cwp holder kills innocent bystander."  You know things that could eventually hurt us in the long run. I don't know though just some food for thought.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I read your post a few times, and could not figure out what you're trying to say.  Why would a resident obtain a non-resident permit?

Did you mean to say?:

A non-resident permit is only good to CCW while in the state that issued the non-resident permit.

So I I get a Utah non-resident permit, I can only CCW while in Utah with that particular permit.  It does not allow me to have full reciprocity priviledges that residents would have.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to include a copy of your SC permit with your FL application.  Paperwork and directions are found on the FL Department of Agriculture website.  FDACS Concealed Weapons Program

Do non-residents get the same reciprocity that residents would?

Also, what about renewals?  If SC does away with their CCW program after I get my first FL permit, when it's time to renew, how will that work?  I won't have a valid SC CCW permit anymore.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A non-resident permit is only good to CCW while in the state that issued the non-resident permit.

So I I get a Utah non-resident permit, I can only CCW while in Utah with that particular permit.  It does not allow me to have full reciprocity priviledges that residents would have.

You sure this is true?  Why do I keep reading and hearing people recommending getting a Florida non-resident permit, with the reasoning of "Florida has the widest reciprocity in the US"?
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I like the training requirement if for no other reason than to keep people from getting jammed up. True, 8 hours and 50 rounds isn't much training, but a lot of people have no idea what is legal and where. I see a bunch of questions about carrying in the car, pocketbooks, loaded-vs.-unloaded, signs, schools ect. I think that the "doomsday" scenario of untrained shooters in the streets is less likely than a good person getting in trouble due to ignorance of the law. The reciprocity issue also worries me. The ban on resturaunt carry needs to go.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I believe we have a God-given right to defend ourselves and that includes keeping AND bearing arms.

I do not condone asking permission for that which is natural. The government does not give us these rights.  We have them regardless of government.

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.  It is OUR responsibility to educate ourselves about the law.  It's not like it's not accessible to everyone.  One needs only to put in the effort, and minimal effort at that.

Maybe starting henceforth, the contact info, website of pertinent SC statutes etc. can be required to be included with each gun purchase. I realize this doesn't help those who already own a firearm, but seriously we shouldn't need such babysitting in my opinion.

With that said, I am confused about all the people in this thread concerned about reciprocity.  I am unsure of the wordage in the proposal, but as has been mentioned before, AK and AZ issue permits for those desiring reciprocity. and as has been mentioned before, take action to make it happen.

I look forward to NC taking this step next.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sure this is true?  Why do I keep reading and hearing people recommending getting a Florida non-resident permit, with the reasoning of "Florida has the widest reciprocity in the US"?

No I am not sure. If you look at the post that I quoted and then read my post from the beginning, you will see that I was trying to figure out what that other guy said by giving a reworded example of what I thought he meant.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Some clarification:

For example, A Utah non resident permit allows for all the privileges of reciprocity with any state that holds a reciprocity agreement with Utah, except for those states that require the permit that the person holds to be a resident permit.

To my knowledge, Colorado, Florida, Michigan, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Maine only honor permits from residents of the states they honor.

Utah
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I am not sure. If you look at the post that I quoted and then read my post from the beginning, you will see that I was trying to figure out what that other guy said by giving a reworded example of what I thought he meant.

The Florida non-resident permit does permit you to carry in a number of states.  Georgia is one of the many states that recognize Florida's non-res permit.  Some states, like SC for example, won't recognize a FL permit unless you are a FL resident.   I hope that makes sense.

ETA: I have a SC CWP as well as a FL nonresident CCW permit.  I live near the GA border and travel to FL and other states in the southeast, so the FL permit has been good to have.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Ah, gotcha.  Makes sense now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 11:40:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Please read this carefully!!!

http://www.scfirearms.org/Legislative/H3292_analysis.pdf

I think some have confused the issue completely. I believe it is going to actually allow OPEN carry with the option for a CWP permit if the person wants to carry concealed.

Not going to allow just anyone to carry concealed without a permit!!!

Also please they are doing an orange post care mailing to the representatives showing support to this bill. If you can please mail orange post cards. Stamps are only 28 cents and the post cards are already designed all you have to do is print them out, sign them and include your return mail address, and stamp them. The card design is here at this links. There is a total of 12 cards. Takes all of 15 minutes of your time to show support of this bill.

http://www.scfirearms.org/archives.htm

http://scfirearms.org/postcard/H3292postcardsv3.pdf

http://www.scfirearms.org/postcard/PostCardsH3292Delegations.html

Link Posted: 2/22/2011 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Section 9 of H. 3292 does something very admirable - it deletes the double standard used to
27 separate the people from public servants. Off duty law enforcement officers would be subject to
28 the same “No Concealable Weapons” signs as the rest of the people. This is a good change, and
29 should be extended to more than just this section of law.

I don't support this at all.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 6:50:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do non-residents get the same reciprocity that residents would?

Also, what about renewals?  If SC does away with their CCW program after I get my first FL permit, when it's time to renew, how will that work?  I won't have a valid SC CCW permit anymore.

There are several states, SC currently being one of several, that only accept resident licenses.  Renewal remains a question.  If this goes through, I am hopeful that they will keep the permit program for these kinds of situations and for the NICS check function.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Don't know if I like the part about cops not being able to carry off duty if asked by a place.
No, don't like that at all ! No way !!

If they're concerned about a double standard then make CCW law like a seeing eye dog law where they can't tell you you can't take it in. That should be the goal.

I certainly hope it means an end to CWP for in state and not just open carry. For recip. just give SLED $15 for a card to carry and they can hand you a brochure on state gun laws and a briohure on basic gun safety. Neat,clean, simple.

Or maybe just get the Utah permit.

SandHillsHillbilly   I find your squirrel massage disturbing yet I can't look away.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#49]
the people who do the training are very against this (revenue stream goes dry). I welcome it. I lived in yankee Vermont for 18 months and never had an issue and carried every day and every place. It was also 96% white and very little crime (except there were a great deal of pedo bears there).
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
the people who do the training are very against this (revenue stream goes dry). I welcome it. I lived in yankee Vermont for 18 months and never had an issue and carried every day and every place. It was also 96% white and very little crime (except there were a great deal of pedo bears there).

Do you know all of the people who do the training? What qualifies you to make that statement? Also WTF does 95% white have to do with the crime rate?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top