Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 6:38:02 PM EDT
hi guys i live in greensboro... i asked this in the general forum and they said to ask locally so here it goes..

i was unaware... (but then agian i havent been shooting a real long time)... that if im driving to the place im shooting that i have to have a permit to have those unloaded gunsin my car to get to the place i shoot... i thought as far as rifles and shotguns i didnt need a permit... i mean i went and bought them someplace and i have to transport them to my place of living so i dont really understand this.... i live in NC and my freinds mom told me this... is she jsut retarded or is what im doing risky?... i know i need a licence for handguns in NC but i ididnt think there was a problem having my rifles and shottys in my car just to go shooting... its not like they are there all the time

sorry if this all sounds stupid... BUT I LOVE MY AR AND I DONT WANT TO BE FINED OR HAVE IT TAKEN AWAY BY SOME COP OVER MY STUPIDITY

thanks for any help

jake

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
No permit for transporting firearms.  You don't need it for handguns either, as long as they are not accessible to the passengers or driver.  In other words, keep them in the trunk, and you are fine.  

You can also "open carry" in NC, which means that you may transport them in plain sight.  Not really advisable, because there are other laws that can get you into trouble, and you will probably draw too much attention to yourself.  

If you have a concealed handgun licence, you may carry a concealed handgun that is accessible to you.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#2]
You are not stupid!

No laws on trasporting your firearms in NC unless you are in some particular area that doesn't allow them such as schools (thats assuming you are actually on the schools property).

If they are readily accessable and are concealed, you'll need a concealed carry permit(applies more to pistols, than rifles or shotty's)

Locked in the Trunk is the best way, besides you pistol which in my opinion needs to be within easy reach, openly visible and cocked and locked.

Jason
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:03:56 AM EDT
[#3]
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people."

No, there is a difference between "uninformed" and "stupid", and it is a great sign of your lack of stupidity that you found a resource online and asked someone.

I just got back to Burlington after 5 years Active Duty, and I had a few "stupid questions" myself, just to see what changed while I was gone.

And while I understand your feelings toward law enforcement (1st ticket: 92.7 in a 55 Westbound on I-40 during rush hour in G'boro... 11 years ago.), try not to be insulting on this board toward them, because there are a lot of LE guys here who would take offense, and you really don't want AR15.com members with badges irritated, eh?

Police for the most part are good guys, but a few run-ins will quickly sour you against them, even if you are in the wrong.

Just DON'T SPEED, and follow other local laws, and you shouldn't have any troubles.

Take it from a former Greensboro teenager who lost his license for 6 months (and that's getting off light), it's not worth it.

Best of luck, and welcome to the board!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:53:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a slightly related question.  So what if you have an SUV? I'd like to keep a pistol in my Cherokee, but I don't really have a trunk.  And while when no one is in the back seat a gun in the cargo area would be pretty far away, if some was in back, the gun would really be easily accessible to them.  

From my POV under the rear flip up seat would be the most "inaccessible" at all times (since it would be hard for me to get to it when only I am in the car and impossible to get to while someone was SITTING on the rear seat (you can't reach up under it), I'm not sure how putting it there would be percieved by  a LEO or judge.

Obviously the easy solution is to get a CCW...

T
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Remember! --- The CCW permit in NC only applies to handguns.  It DOES NOT authorize the concealed carry/transportation of rifles, shotguns, or knives.

Packing.org is a good resource for the laws in our state (as well as others).
www.packing.org/state/north_carolina/
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Remember! --- The CCW permit in NC only applies to handguns.  It DOES NOT authorize the concealed carry/transportation of rifles, shotguns, or knives.

Packing.org is a good resource for the laws in our state (as well as others).
www.packing.org/state/north_carolina/

I'm aware of that and have read all the laws and faqs I can find but they are annoyingly loose and way open to interpretation, especially in the case of an SUV.

For example the rear cargo area of my Jeep isn't very wide (spare tire) so there is no way for me to put a long gun back there without it protruding over the rear seat into the rear passenger area. So chances are I could always reach back and touch it (thus readily accessible).
So  what about putting a gun in a locked case for transportation, I have never read anywhere that says that is OK, and who is to say that in a case would not be considered "concealed" as the case may not look like a gun case at first glance, and it DEFINATELY conceals the gun. And if the keys are in my pocket, is that still considered readily accessible.

Basically for my situation the law is so vague there is no way for me to but sure I am abiding by the law.

BTW erollinc, sorry for the hijack...

T
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#7]
There certainly is room for improvement regarding the definition of "concealed" w/ regards to transporting firearms in your vehicle.  When I drove a pickup I would transport my rifles on the back bench seat, in a locked case, no mag in the mag well (or ammo in the intergral mag if applicable), and the action open.  Not saying that this method would have given me protection  from prosecution but at least I would have been able to demonstrate that the weapon was not accessible.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#8]
What you guys are saying does not agree with what  LOE's in Durham have told me. I pulled up to two sheriffs cars one day. I told two of them that I had a .45 loaded and on my belt. and I asked was this ok? I was in my pickup at the time. They told me as long as it was registered and in plain view it was OK.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#9]
That is correct as I understand it as well. Plain view is OK. I have a friend who was pulled over and had his 1911 laying on the passenger seat. The LEO wrote him his ticket and went on his way without even mentioning the gun. A man in Brunswick was recently convicted of shooting and killing a cop in a ruitine traffic stop. I'm sure if you had a gun laying on your seat and got pulled over in that little town youd' get a little different response.

I guess my problem is when I go to the range and take 3 rifles I really don't want them banging around in the back seat and in plain view if I stop to get a bite to eat on my way home. My nearest outdoor range is a 45 minute drive each way (and I drive thru the town where the cop was shot), so I like to spend a good part of the day there and shoot as many rifles as I can. I like to keep them in cases and lock them, but the law is vague enough that I'm not really sure if this is OK, and while it may be OK in one LEO's mind it may not be OK in another.  And to be perfectly honest I'd like to avoid having to prove it to a judge.

T
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#10]
BTW I guess I should clarify that there is a "terror to the public" or something of that nature clause in the open carry law. Basically it says you can carry openly as long as you are not causing "terror to the public" once again this is very vague and I have read that some would even interpret it as if ONE PERSON calls the cops cause they are frightened by you carrying a gun you can be charged with breaking this law... not sure if that is true...

T
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What you guys are saying does not agree with what  LOE's in Durham have told me. I pulled up to two sheriffs cars one day. I told two of them that I had a .45 loaded and on my belt. and I asked was this ok? I was in my pickup at the time. They told me as long as it was registered and in plain view it was OK.

I was referring to carrying/transporting the weapon concealed not in plain view.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Before you read this, i'm talking about non-CCW permit holders:

Although somewhat Liberal in interpetation, the High Courts have ruled that a weapon lying on your right side in "plain view" (i.e. passenger seat) is or can be "Concealed" from the officers view during the course of a traffic stop.........beware, it's up to the officer, magistrate, and eventually the courts to decide.

Just because someone can see it through the windshield or from the passenger side, doesn't mean a 6' officer beside your sports car can see it on the seat beside you.    Putting it on the dash and telling the officer about it verbally is the best way to deal with it.  If not,  lock it in the Glove Box or Lock it in the center console, but make sure you don't have to get into it to get your Registration or other papers if stopped.   If no locking glove box or center console put it in the trunk.  I have seen other Officers charge people at the Hospital after a Wreck for CCW because they found a gun in the floorboard after the driver was taken to the ER.   I think it's Horse%^$* but the courts convict on it.....so think it through.  

Also,  at one time the Supreme Court had ruled that as long as an Officer was informed of a Weapons presence upon Initial contact  (note: Initial)  the weapon was no longer concealed because the Officer had knowledge of said weapon.......but you might have to fight that one through the courts because of the liberal and various interpetations.

Pinz
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:30:18 AM EDT
[#13]

This is a good link on NC firearm laws too

www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

Read pages 16-17
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:08:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Great link, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:07:31 AM EDT
[#15]
That is a good link, Thanks. Unfortunately for me the info is about the same as in the Packing.org link.

I have yet to find a way to lock my 46" OAL scoped rifle away in a "remote area"  of my Jeep especially if I have a passenger in the rear seat... So in my situation making the gun out of "close proximity" is kindda not an option. So that leaves me with the options of either  making it inaccessible by locking it in a case which will make it more "concealed" or leaving  it laying out on the back seat which could make someone thing I have ill intentions.

Persoanlly I'd prefer to just keep it locked in its case and unloaded (not that that matters).. but everything I have read seems to say I'd be better off leaving it on the back seat (but still at risk)...  so my next question is do my tinted windows now make it concealed. I really hate vague laws... I mean if a cop walked up to my window chances are they wouldn't even see the all black rifle thru my tinted windows sitting on my dark grey rear seat...  So it seems no matter what I do there is pretty much a way a LEO could if he wanted to site me on this charge, and a judge/jury could if they wanted to convict me of it.

I guess I should take up needlepoint

I'm sure I'm just over thinking and overanalyzing, but I am a firm believer that I as a citizen am responsible for making sure I follow the law (whether I agree with it or not), and thats just really hard to do when laws are vague and open to just about any interpretation. I'd really rather not have t o defend myself in court cause I wanted to go to the range and shoot.

T
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, there's no permit required for transporting weapons.
If it's a long gun, it gets locked in the trunk.
If it's a SUV, it should be locked in a case.
If it's a handgun, it either gets carried in plain view loaded or unloaded or in the trunk.

And yes, there's no such thing as a stupid question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top