Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 4:53:22 PM EDT
This is no April Fool joke either. I just came from there earlier this evening. There was a deputy Sheriff parked outside the locked gates turning people away. A sign was posted stating that the range was closed until further notice due to "Reports of people firing high into vegetation (topping trees I guess), leaving alot of garbage in and around the range as well as not picking up old targets, ammo boxes, etc. Also due to safety concerns of campers and people using the trails nearby due to the people firing up high over the back stop. Also it said that new grass was also to be planted out there. So I guess this is it is for Uwharrie for a good while if it's not decided to be permanently closed according to the deputy. Thought I would share the news because so many of you go there and today would have been my first visit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Sad part is everything up stated is true. Fucktards leave there trash, spray and pray shooting.  Hope it's only tempary. WD
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Another one bites the dust.  

Remember that shit when you guys go up to YVSC.

From the other thread.........

Quoted:

1.  Doin da bump at Pinnacle is a good way to make a bad name for yourself or get tossed out.  

2.  The "local" who rode out to see what was going on was either the owner of the farm or one of his workers, as they're not used to FA fire up there and you have to go through a locked gate to get to the range.  

3.  The combo to the lock is known only to the owner of the farm and club members.

4.  There are better places to do da bump.

Fuck.  <----  Johnny, I know, but I think it's aproppriate here.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Having been using the Uwharrie NF for over 20 years and having been a LEO for so many years and knowing how people can be on a range, I'm really surprised someone hasn't been hit out there already.  Especially when there is a legal 4x4 trail that runs just over the ridgeline behind the two ranges.   "Downrange" should have been on a different compass heading!  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Pinz, how true.  The .gov engineers were really using their heads on that one.  I've seen people poke their heads up over the back side of the berm on a hot range.  I think there must be a monument to Darwin on the trail behind the backstop.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:57:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:02:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This is no April Fool joke either. I just came from there earlier this evening. There was a deputy Sheriff parked outside the locked gates turning people away. A sign was posted stating that the range was closed until further notice due to "Reports of people firing high into vegetation (topping trees I guess), leaving alot of garbage in and around the range as well as not picking up old targets, ammo boxes, etc. Also due to safety concerns of campers and people using the trails nearby due to the people firing up high over the back stop. Also it said that new grass was also to be planted out there. So I guess this is it is for Uwharrie for a good while if it's not decided to be permanently closed according to the deputy. Thought I would share the news because so many of you go there and today would have been my first visit.

Did you see taverndog and spooky up there..............they were supposed to be camping out over the weekend and I'm sure they would have been at the range at some point.

It a shame about all the trash.............alot of time was spent cleaning up after the shoot we had on March 18.

Maybe it's only temporary.
I hope it's only temporary.

It's funny how the ATV trails opened up on the 1st and the range shut down on the 1st.

Waiting on taverndog and spooky to see how the camping went, since I didn't get to go.........you know spring yardwork and all.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:19:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Maybe it's only temporary.
I hope it's only temporary.

I certainly hope it is only temporary.....

It's funny how the ATV trails opened up on the 1st and the range shut down on the 1st.

Seems like a coincidence, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#8]
i hope its only temporary, i was looking foreward to the next ar15.com shoot, i would have been able to make it, i missed the last one and wish i could have made it!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#9]
D'oh !!!

I wanted to go there today to break in my new "toy", that I finally got...

Big Bummer...

John
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#10]
It may be temporary, I wish I had a picture of the sign so i had everything it said. I just remember the main parts about reports of people shooting to high, garbage and leaving the place a wreck, and the safety concerns for trail users and campers as well as them also have to plant new grass and do a little other work out there. So maybe they will build the dirt bank higher as well as planting grass. So this may be temporary. The deputy said that he wasn't sure because he was told to keep everybody out because and as far as he knew it was closed due to some renovation as well as alot of misuse. Nobody said this but if and when they do reopen it, they may end up posting people out there to run the bad apples off.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Namerifrats You should have come and visited me and Sp00ky we were camping up the road past the range all weekend They say the range will reopen but they need help controling the range the msg had a number to call but I forgot to get it mayby Sp00ky got it and will post it.The main reason is to clean it up and repair it like last year and also the off road trails opened up on Sat. morning.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#12]
well, at least we went out w/ a bang on the 18th
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope so. I sure did notice a large amount of 4WD's all over the place. I prob would have dropped by but I wouldn't have known what you guys looked like anyway.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I forgot to get the phone number myself. I might go back this coming friday to do some more scouting along 555(Cotton Place Rd.) for some new camp sites along the river. I will get the phone number  then.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:25:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I wonder if they ever thought about charging a usage fee like they do the ATV trails? I would be willling to pay for range use. A yearly ATV pass is only $30, daily fee is only $5.

Spooky, Taverndog..................so how was the camping?

How'd that new tent work out Spooky?
I wish I could have gone............but I had to get the yard work done. The neighbors were thinking bad things about me.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The camping was great good food nice weather but a bit dusty due to the 4 wheelers flying up and down the roads. We should have made a dinner pic of my friends Dutch oven meatloaf man that was delicious
We also scouted out some possible new areas for camping out away from the main roads and closer to the river to do some fishing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

How'd that new tent work out Spooky?

The camping was good so was the food. The new tent worked out really good. I got it at Gander Mtn. for $29.00. I'll try to post some pictures as soon as I can find the cable for my camera.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#18]
A co-worker of mine went out there today not knowing it was shut down. He said that there was a sign posted  that said the range was closed until further notice and that there would be a Range Officer placed there once it did open. He said that there was also a request for individuals that were interested in being RO's.

I hope they open it back up soon.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
A co-worker of mine went out there today not knowing it was shut down. He said that there was a sign posted  that said the range was closed until further notice and that there would be a Range Officer placed there once it did open. He said that there was also a request for individuals that were interested in being RO's.

Wonder what that job pays? Me wondering............if I was RO I would hold special days for AR's and military weapons only. You know.........just to keep the riff raff out.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wonder what that job pays? Me wondering............if I was RO I would hold special days for AR's and military weapons only. You know.........just to keep the riff raff out.

Oh yeah, bumpfire day, tannerite day...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Excuse my ignorance
but what exactly is tannerite ?

My research only got me to...
it comes in bottles, it's white,  you mix it with something else, it makes big bangs,
you can't shoou it at Uwharrie and a guy in Texas sells it...

but what exactly is it and how does it work ?

Regards

Space
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:53:26 AM EDT
[#22]
There's some info on the Tannerite website.  They have a video that shows mixing, etc.  

www.tannerite.com/
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:37:10 AM EDT
[#23]
bummer, but definitely not suprising.  Just like anything that is free, there are folks who will use and abuse it, instead of respecting and appreciating it.

When I helped the forestry guys clean up, we were shocked at the amount of busted clay birds....in the field to the left of the rifle range
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Space,

Tannerite is basically Ammoniun nitrate and aluminum powder. I'm not sure of the exact mixture but I know that it can be made by you with the components above.

As far as I can tell it is impact senstive, simalar to that of Nitro glycerin but much more stable. it requires a high velocity impact to detonate it.

HTH,
Jason
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the info,

Tannerite definately seems like FUN...

(sorry the big grin smiley face doesn't work on my Mac)

Space
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:32:45 AM EDT
[#26]
This isn't a big suprise but it did happen sooner than I expected. My friend in the forestry service said they were talking about stationing someone out there and that they would charge a small fee to shoot to help offset the payroll and maintenance needed to keep it going. I am all for paying if it means we can have many more  shoots like the last one! Hopefully it will even fund improvements and expansion.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:46:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Space,

Tannerite is basically 34-0-0 Ammonium Nitrate, ground to a consistency of table salt and this, mixed about 95/5%.

Fixed it for ya.

William Marshall III, an ATF agent out of the Greensboro office told me that this is perfectly legal, as long as you mix it and use it at the same location.  It is a Federal crime to transport this stuff after it is mixed without some very costly permits, and jumping through a bunch of other hoops.  

Do not mix anything other than these two compounds, or you could land yourself in the Penitentary, the ER, or the morgue.

A pint bottle makes a bigass BOOM!!!  A 2 liter bottle will cut down an 18" diameter poplar tree.

This stuff can be a lot of fun, or it can kill you.  The choice is yours.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#28]
That is how it usually goes a few idiots screw it up for everyone else.

Edit-Language-u352
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, I hate to say it, but I saw this coming long ago.
I haven't shot out there for over a year now because I was told that people did stray off the trails and behind the backstops.
It was only a matter of time until someone was shot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#30]
man...definately hate to hear this!!!!  now where to go ?????
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
man...definately hate to hear this!!!!  now where to go ?????

Up until Uwharrie is re-opened, my P.E. gave me several locations of public ranges just over the line in SC....I am going to look into it maybe later in the day Sunday, since I can't hunt on Sundays....
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#32]
i know of one that i've been to several times in SC...but it is a two hour drive for me.   ahh hell i'll just do the all day thing
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Anybody have an update on this?  I've got the fever...
Link Posted: 4/25/2006 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Was down there this weekend riding four wheelers. Talked to one of the Rangers, He said they they where in the process of re-routeing one of the OHV trails that runs up the ridge behind the range. He said they where working on it that day in fact (this was sunday).

He said it still has to go through all the legal work, getting approval, etc. But they already have the area layed out and stuff that they want to make the new trail by-pass.

He said they may have someone stationed down there, to take up money. He said it would have already been done but they can't find anyone saying they want that job specifically. He said if someone would come forward they would be able to compensate them for their time.

Josh
Link Posted: 4/25/2006 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He said if someone would come forward they would be able to compensate them for their time.
Josh

If it wasn't so far to drive I'd do it .
Link Posted: 4/25/2006 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He said if someone would come forward they would be able to compensate them for their time.
Josh

If it wasn't so far to drive I'd do it .

I'm sure the rangers won't mind if we build you a cabin down there. You live down there on the weekends.
Link Posted: 4/25/2006 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top