Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 10:21:20 PM EDT
Guys,

The family and I have narrowed our search towards the Asheville area.  Anywhere within about 1/2 hour would be acceptable.  Can you give some info to a out of stater.  Some people we know may move towards Charlotte, but I think we would prefer a bit more west.  Can anyone tell me about the fishing/hunting/shooting around the Asheville area.  I have heard homes are more expensive there so outside the city is probably more what I am looking for.  I would like to be close to a good fly fishing river within 1/2 hr or so.

I am looking for a home with 5 to 10 acres about 3000k sq ft with a small town feel.

Thank you for all your input.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Guys,

The family and I have narrowed our search towards the Asheville area.  Anywhere within about 1/2 hour would be acceptable.  Can you give some info to a out of stater.  Some people we know may move towards Charlotte, but I think we would prefer a bit more west.  Can anyone tell me about the fishing/hunting/shooting around the Asheville area.  I have heard homes are more expensive there so outside the city is probably more what I am looking for.  I would like to be close to a good fly fishing river within 1/2 hr or so.

I am looking for a home with 5 to 10 acres about 3000k sq ft with a small town feel.

Thank you for all your input.

I live in Asheville and can tell you that the house you're looking for will cost at least $400K. You might be able to find something in Madison county a little cheaper but even there it's starting to get pricey. Just don't limit yourself to Buncombe county while doing your search.

There are a few places to shoot in and around town, but they're indoor ranges and one allows just handguns. I myself just drive about an hour and go to Moss Knob near Western Carolina University whenever I get the urge. It's very secluded and it's outdoors off of an old logging road plus it's open to the public and best of all, it's free.

As far as fishing is concerned, there are plenty of places to go and you can look that up yourself on the net. I'm just a novice fisherman and really can't advise you on that but I've fished several area rivers with descent results.

Finally, I hope you come to realize that the area in around Asheville is very liberal and many want to make this place into a progressive eutopia. Some even want to ban cars in the downtown area and many of the regulations you'll come across here will strike you as totally obscene. Also know that homosexuality is pretty much open here and many people will get offended if you can't accept it or look down upon it or even comment negatively on it (mostly people in the downtown area). It doesn't bother me personally as I'm pretty much used to it and so I basically ignore them. Your reaction might be different but get used to it because it's not going to change anytime soon.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh god say it isn't so.  What would be a good place to live on the western side that isn't so liberal?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Oh god say it isn't so.  What would be a good place to live on the western side that isn't so liberal?

You need to SERIOUSLY think about Upstate SC. You can be within 45 mins of Asheville.

I say this having lived in Asheville four years.

Price are high - housing is  outrageous. Costs prolly 40% more in Asheville than Upstate SC.

SC is CCW and Class 3 legal.

Stay away from Charlotte (Mecklenberg cty) Wile state law is shall issue, the CLEO is may issue (little tyrant)

Asheville is a center for crystal worshippers, tree huggers and homos. I would never go back.

West of there - Canton, Waynesville, Murphy, Maggie Valley etc are all very nice

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:34:07 AM EDT
[#4]

You need to SERIOUSLY think about Upstate SC. You can be within 45 mins of Asheville.

I say this having lived in Asheville four years.

Price are high - housing is  outrageous. Costs prolly 40% more in Asheville than Upstate SC.

SC is CCW and Class 3 legal.

Stay away from Charlotte (Mecklenberg cty) Wile state law is shall issue, the CLEO is may issue (little tyrant)

Asheville is a center for crystal worshippers, tree huggers and homos. I would never go back.

West of there - Canton, Waynesville, Murphy, Maggie Valley etc are all very nice

Ditto that!  I currently live in Charlotte and it is a liberal bastian for sure, but Asheville is even worse in that regard.
I've chosen also move to upstate SC.
Less taxes, cheaper land and housing, less ridiculous laws regarding vehicle inspection, etc...
Last but not least, they're a lot more tolerant of firearms and those that like to use them.

Go take a drive through Asheville, check out the Biltmore Estate, see the countryside and then make a beeline for SC.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Soooo I take it all those rumors I've heard about Asheville being Berekley east are true?

I've always heard it was a collection point for CA relocated individuals. Shame, like so many other things going on in the state.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Soooo I take it all those rumors I've heard about Asheville being Berekley east are true?

I've always heard it was a collection point for CA relocated individuals. Shame, like so many other things going on in the state.

Oh yeah. Homo's, hippies, you name it and it's here.

One funny thing that recently happened is that Staples put a store right on the outskirts of downtown. The building was put up according to the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) that the city passed a while back. In the UDO, the parking lot now has to be in back of the building in order to "beautify" the area its going in. Well now we have this bright red brick building where the storefront faces towards the east opposite of every building on the same side of the road that faces west. So basically the back of the building is where the front should be. It's funny to me and I get a kick out of it everytime I drive by but it serves this stupid city right for passing a UDO that caters to stupidity. In fact, the city fined Wal-Mart I think like $15,000 for cutting down trees when they recently built a supercenter here. This btw is $15,000 for each tree cut down, not for all of them! That's how nit-picky this place has become.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

More Berkley / San Fran  east. With lots of tree huggers thrown in just to make it completely intolerable for you.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I work in Asheville.  I love the mountains and the good folks really are good.  There are a ton of weird people (like the two goths I saw downtown in broad daylight, the female leading the male by a rope leash!)

I wouldn't give you two cents for a mansion in Asheville.  Move out west towards Franklin, Waynesville, Canton, Enka Candler.  Or take the north around Spruce Pine and Burnsville.  Or, maybe try Brevard in the south.  Black Mountain, to the east, has some beautiful countryside, but I don't know about the rivers.  None of these towns could be anywhere as "liberal" as Asseville.

All that said, I'm glad I live in South Carolina.  Greenville is only 35min from that territory, and it's a pretty drive up Hwy 25.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are seeking fly fishing waters, look into the Brevard area.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Let me add that Asheville and WNC is one of the greatest areas of this country.  I lived there in the early 70s through 1980 and then it was a very conservative area.  It changed in the 90s and there are more hairly legged woment there now than I have ever seen.  Lots of hippies and weirdos too.  But still a good town.  Good places to eat and several quality watering holes.

There used to be several good locations in Asheville to purchase firearms, but I think all have closed.  Not sure now where you can get good quality info on firearm or ammo purchases.  The NRA used to sponsor a rifle range off of Hwy 280.  

The areas outside of Buncombe Co are great as well in most directions.  I personally liked the Madison, Mitchell and Yancey Co areas north of town.  My job there required me to drive the 22 counites from Morganton down to Murphy.  Pisgah and Nantahala Nat Forest areas are great places to visit and to fish.  Sliding Rock near Brevard was and hopefully still is a great family thing to do.  The Nantahala River has great whitewater rafting, Fontana Lake and pleanty of other lakes and rivers have good fishing.   Of course the Smoky Mountains offer a lot to do as well as the Blue Ridge Pky.  but in the summer traffice can be a bitch at times.  

Good Luck to you and your search.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I went to school near Asheville (WCU), and I still *Love* the WNC area.  Asheville itself is a fun town to visit, but like has been stated, its political and social environment is a little iffy.  However, the area as a whole is great, once you get outside of the city you're back to good ole fashion country folks.  The scenery in the area goes a long way to countering any "-isms" or movements or whatever.

I like upstate SC too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I live in Asheville and can tell you that the house you're looking for will cost at least $400K. You might be able to find something in Madison county a little cheaper but even there it's starting to get pricey. Just don't limit yourself to Buncombe county while doing your search.

There are a few places to shoot in and around town, but they're indoor ranges and one allows just handguns. I myself just drive about an hour and go to Moss Knob near Western Carolina University whenever I get the urge. It's very secluded and it's outdoors off of an old logging road plus it's open to the public and best of all, it's free.

As far as fishing is concerned, there are plenty of places to go and you can look that up yourself on the net. I'm just a novice fisherman and really can't advise you on that but I've fished several area rivers with descent results.

Finally, I hope you come to realize that the area in around Asheville is very liberal and many want to make this place into a progressive eutopia. Some even want to ban cars in the downtown area and many of the regulations you'll come across here will strike you as totally obscene. Also know that homosexuality is pretty much open here and many people will get offended if you can't accept it or look down upon it or even comment negatively on it (mostly people in the downtown area). It doesn't bother me personally as I'm pretty much used to it and so I basically ignore them. Your reaction might be different but get used to it because it's not going to change anytime soon.

to curtail on what he said, asheville is a weird mix of liberal and conservative. although its a very liberal town in many senses, it has a very strong religious movement in it as well as some very conservative family friendly laws. for instance, sex stores dont exist inside asheville that i know of and i heard they were required to be outside the city.  but like he said, asheville is the gay mecca of the east coast, so be comfortable with that and the super liberal neo-hippy mindset.

asheville does offer one of the prettiest downtowns imo in all of north carolina and a top contender in a several state area. the liberal atmostphere has created a really artsie community with lots of tourism and interesting sights.

asheville is definately going up in price, if you are looking for the small town look i would suggest looking a little outside of asheville honestly. asheville is ripe with some major problems that are going to be getting worst over the next few years. the traffic is a major concern right now imo, patten ave and 240 back up for miles every day and go to a drag. the drainage is a major issue as well. pretty much the entire infastructure needs to be reworked as most of the major intersections are based off of T-intersection style- so it leaves lots of backup. also for the land you are looking at, i would consider a little further out. you may also want to look at a little out on HWY 70 East towards swananoawa or however you spell that town. its close, cheaper, and very small still.

like he said, moss knob is a wonderful place to shoot. it's well worth the drive. just bring some bug spray.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Good read.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you are seeking fly fishing waters, look into the Brevard area.  

Yes, Transylvania (Brevard) and Henderson (Hendersonville) Counties are where you should be looking.  Both around 20 minutes to the south of Asheville without the high cost-of-living, crime and city lifestyle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#15]
My .02 here, +++++1 on all that has been said about Asheville and the surrounding areas.  Living in Western NC is like walking the top of a really narrow wall.........  one side is liberal antigunners/sugar coated world/hippies - - -  the other side is the God fearing/yes Sir, no Sir/conservative world.  I found that the Hickory/Morganton-ish areas to be quite nice.  You have enough "modern" to raise your kids the right way without a huge backlash of ultra liberal nonsense.  Economy has taken a few hits as of late, but the area is still economically viable and housing/schools are nothing to scoff at.

Maybe a bit out of the way for ya, but I thought I'd throw that out.

Welcome to NC!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top