Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2004 9:14:20 AM EDT
going to SSI Saturday morning to play with my new 6920! interested? IM me or email, I think you all have my email.  Will meet coworker at 10:00 at NC 96/401N,   could meet anyone at Crossroads around 9:15
Link Posted: 12/1/2004 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll be in town, but I regret I'll have to pass. I'm going to be driving around with a realtor looking for a place to live when I finally move down.

I appreciate the kind invitation. May I take a raincheck, where I'll be able to bring a few toys of my own?

- Z
Link Posted: 12/1/2004 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#2]
1 rain check given.  There'll be other SSI days, no problem. When you saw your name in the title of the thread it piqued your interest huh?
Link Posted: 12/1/2004 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#3]
AR,

I'll have to get back to you.  I'm in town this weekend, but I'm in the midst of exam week...    All shooting is temporarily suspended until a week from friday...  unless of course I get too frustrated and have to go shoot something on Saturday morning with you guys...  
Link Posted: 12/1/2004 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When you saw your name in the title of the thread it piqued your interest huh?

Being singled out tends to do that!
Link Posted: 12/1/2004 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's my 6920 glory thread  Glory Thread
Link Posted: 12/1/2004 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
AR,

I'll have to get back to you.  I'm in town this weekend, but I'm in the midst of exam week...    All shooting is temporarily suspended until a week from friday...  unless of course I get too frustrated and have to go shoot something on Saturday morning with you guys...  

No problem, if not too cold, I have between xmas and New Years off, that'll be the next time I could do SSI as well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 7:58:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AR,

No problem, if not too cold, I have between xmas and New Years off, that'll be the next time I could do SSI as well.

I'll be in Michigan from about Dec. 20 until just after New Years, maybe have to make it early January?  Cold doesn't bother me too much.  

How was the trip this morning?  
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#8]
HeyI want to go too i am afraid i can`t go this wekend but I can bring some "shop toys" on another day how about a LMT/Xring Precision 6.8x43SPC or an X ring Precision AR10 In 7mm-08 or a lothar barreled .223 SPR. or a savage tactical 300 win mag/lothar.

Red
X Ring Precision rifles.
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#9]
For that matter, if anyone wants to check out the Durham Pistol and Rifle Club sometime, let me know.  I try and get out there at least once a week, usually on Saturday or Sunday.  300 yrd. rifle range, action pit for the carbines.  Let me know.  

Cheers,
Wolffie
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 3:01:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
For that matter, if anyone wants to check out the Durham Pistol and Rifle Club sometime, let me know.  I try and get out there at least once a week, usually on Saturday or Sunday.  300 yrd. rifle range, action pit for the carbines.  Let me know.  

Cheers,
Wolffie

I'll be up for it give us enough lead team notice.  So lets have an official ARFCOM outting after New Years?  

Hey all, sorry for the short notice and I realize that's why you all couldn't make it, but I just picked up the 6920 on Tuesday, I didnt have much notice myself!  Soon as I got it I said I gotta go out and shoot it!  I'll start a SSI/DRPC outting thread, maybe we could get a bunch of people going!
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 5:16:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

How was the trip this morning?  

coworker showed up about 9:30, immediately showed off one of the 6920's, then we yucked it a bit, loaded the Tacoma and headed towards SSI.  He had a mini14 and a Sig226, I brought my Sporter Lightgweight, 6920, and a NIB Glock 22C

We laid claim to one of the pistol pits and laid a big 20x30 tarp to catch brass on, unloaded the Tacoma , loaded mags, arranged gear, set up targets.

I ran a patch thru the bore of the 6920, field stripped it to make sure it was lubed up, then had to bust the 6920's cherry so I did with a 20 rd mag of reloads.  I have faith in my reloads!  Shot nicely.  Appeared to be sighted in nice, range was about 40 yards (this was the pistol pit).  Put another 4 mags or so through it and the factory oil started to burn off and smoke, kind of eerie, but still no malfunctions, great gun!

Coworker's goal was to sight in his mini14 which he scoped, he's had the scope for years and never got the thing sited in, it's his quest in life I guess. But he came prepared witha  new laser bore sighter.  You stick it in the bore, turn on the laser, and it points a red dot, then you adjust your scope so it hits the red dot, easy in theory.  But to see the laser beam in daylight, he used a 3" round reflective sticker on a paper target.  Once the laser hits the reflective sticker you know  where it's pointing, but only to a 3" circle.  That's ok, bore sighting should be used to get you on the paper so you can fine tune with live rounds later.

He accomplished what he wanted then we both shot the 22C and 226.  The 22C was dead on accurate at 40 feet.  I was busting pieces of broken clay pidgeons and black winchester primer trays.  No jams on the 22C nor the 226.  The 226 shot fine, they're marvels of precision and craftsmanship, except  for me it shot consistently high.  I lined up the top of the front sight post with the top of the rear sight blades but  it had  a white circle ont he front post and semi circle on the rear, maybe I wasn't using the circle method, who knows.

Time for phase 2, moving to the 100 yard range at SSI.  Took a while to pack everything up.  Packed up the guns, ammo, gear and that left the tarp with all the spent brass.  Normally policing brass would take 30 minutes, pecking around the ground like a chicken looking for brass, but with the tarp all you do is start to fold it up and the brass is all in the middle in one neat pile.  Brass acquistion took 4 minutes tops!

At the 100 yard range I popped targets of opportunty with the 6920, old beer cans, whatever.  Seemed to be hitting the targets, I was shooting off hand.  Decided not to punch paper with it, didnt have the bench rest bags and with iron sites at 100 yards, the front sight post  covers about  3 inches anyhow.  Coworker proceded to do some more bore sighting at 100 yards and the rifle just kept shooting high all the time, he was getting frustrated.  

He shot his last round of ammo then said "F*CK!".  He scope mount was loose, probably loose the whole time.  I teased that him and his quest to sight in the scope is like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football, it'll never happen  

Time to head on back, picked up the brass again via the tarp method and drove on back.  Then I showed off the other NIB 6920 and he oohed and ahh'd.   After he left I started to put my guns away and noticed the rear take down pin was falling out of the Sporter Lightweight.   So I panicked and posted a note to Troubleshooting at ARFCOM

URL

Ended up my stock crown nut or whatever worked it's way loose and the indent spring popped out.  OK, I can get a spring somewhere, panic time over.

Now I have a bunch of dirty guns and a bag full of used brass I need to sort out.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I appreciate the invite - hate I missed it but my girlfriend is killing me with this Christmas shopping nonsense...  Yes, I am a shell of a man.  LOL.  

Sounds like a great trip, and a very ingenious way of keeping your brass clean and in one place!  Let me know the next time you are heading out there and I will have to tag along!
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#13]
It may be this tarp ,  maybe I have the 16x24, who knows? Blue Tarp

also allows you to have a clean dry surface to put your gear on besides catching brass.

My other trick is when I shoot Wolf steel cased ammo:

URL

Even with the tarp it'll separate the steel nonreloaded cases from the brass cases.  If you drop a small part in your gun room you can sweep your room for the part as well.   good investment for $9!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top