Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2008 6:01:41 AM EDT
I have an engineer buddy that works for ATK in the Lake City ammo plant.  He  has been told that Winchester is going to be dropping prices on ammo in the near future.  He couldn't say how much or exactly when it will happen, but he says he has it on pretty good authority that it's going to happen.  

Don't get pissy with me if it doesn't but I figured I'd share the possibility that it could happen!  
Link Posted: 2/13/2008 6:31:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2008 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Toothles was sick yesterday, that may have just been the fever talking
Link Posted: 2/13/2008 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#3]
If lead/copper/brass prices drop, then ammo prices will drop.  Not a second before.
Link Posted: 2/13/2008 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2008 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Toothles was sick yesterday, that may have just been the fever talking

You weren't taking out of date meds were you?  
Link Posted: 2/13/2008 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If lead/copper/brass prices drop, then ammo prices will drop.  Not a second before.

[devil's advocate] But now that they've seen that every round of ammo they can make will sell for the current high prices, what incentive would they have to reduce the selling price and also their profits?[/devil's advocate]

Because in my group of friends ammo purchasing has droped due to sky high prices (with the exception of Jake, he's buying the crap out of it lately) and we have all started reloading.  

This is coming from an engineer from ATK.  I have to say, he's been correct with other info he's dropped my way.

My meds have nothing to do with this.  I don't take them anyway.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2008 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2008 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I would have to say, it does in me as well.  I'm just relaying info guys, it's kind of funny the responses though.  

If it does, great.  If not, oh well.  I've talked to several old shooters that said the prices of ammo were even higher than they are now back in the early 80's.  They came down and I'm optimistic that they will again someday.  

Until then, I'll keep reloading for a fraction of the cost the rest of the world pays.  

Wow, post #300.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2008 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Toothless,
You give that 35 a work out yet?  I found a 34, but the seller is being slow to respond and my cash is burning a hole in my pocket, and to top it off my dealer is out of contact for a while
Link Posted: 2/13/2008 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Prices are bound to drop sometime, it is just that I (nor anyone else) can tell when.
I haven't checked the commodities markets for spot prices on lead, copper etc. but I am damn sure they have been artificialli inflated lately.
I can see them dropping, I think they have figured out they have overpriced themselves out of the market.
This all part of the natural free market cycle.
The winner here is Wolf. Folk who wouldn't touch it before found themselves buying it and maybe now even have a taste for it.
Damn, I sound like some sort of economics freak....
I is a guessin' I shore nuff go back to ma outstate mahzurah talkin' now.....

Link Posted: 2/13/2008 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/13/2008 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have an engineer buddy that works for ATK in the Lake City ammo plant.  He  has been told that Winchester is going to be dropping prices on ammo in the near future.  He couldn't say how much or exactly when it will happen, but he says he has it on pretty good authority that it's going to happen.  

Don't get pissy with me if it doesn't but I figured I'd share the possibility that it could happen!  

Just so you know Winchester has not been involved with LCAAP since 1999 when they lost the contract to run LCAAP.  LCAAP is now ran and managed by ATK, which owns various ammo companies(but not Winchester which is owned by OLIN) the largest of which is Federal.  So is it possible he means Federal?
Also people at LCAAP have very little to do with the commercial line ammunition, the only involvement they have is when lots that don't meet QA are broken down, and transfered to other ATK companies, mainly Federal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2008 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just so you know Winchester has not been involved with LCAAP since 1999 when they lost the contract to run LCAAP.  LCAAP is now ran and managed by ATK, which owns various ammo companies(but not Winchester which is owned by OLIN) the largest of which is Federal.  So is it possible he means Federal?
Also people at LCAAP have very little to do with the commercial line ammunition, the only involvement they have is when lots that don't meet QA are broken down, and transfered to other ATK companies, mainly Federal.

I know that Olin owns Win and ATK owns Federal and CCI, to name a few.  But from what I'm gathering there is inter-corperate communications.  It came down from his supervisors.  This is just one buddy from ATK, I have another who is still currently an engineer there, but seeing as he's from Germany he's not much into the shooting sports.  I think he likes hugging trees a bit more but I'll pick his brain about it when I talk to him.  The other two friends just recently left ATK/LCAAP for better jobs but were engineer's at ATK's heavy weapons plants in Maryland before they moved here to work in the small arms end of things, so they're of no use for answers.  

Either way I know that you can't count your chickens before they hatch, but coming from Travis I wouldn't doubt it's going to happen.  "When" is the key.
Link Posted: 2/13/2008 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
[devil's advocate] But now that they've seen that every round of ammo they can make will sell for the current high prices, what incentive would they have to reduce the selling price and also their profits?[/devil's advocate]

Good question.  The answer is economics.  If Ammo Maker A sees that he can drop his price by 2% and sell enough more ammo to increase his profits, he will do that.  When he does, Ammo Maker B will be forced do drop his prices as well to compete.

Just no telling if/when this will come about.
Link Posted: 2/14/2008 5:05:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/14/2008 5:07:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/14/2008 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good question.  The answer is economics.  If Ammo Maker A sees that he can drop his price by 2% and sell enough more ammo to increase his profits, he will do that.  When he does, Ammo Maker B will be forced do drop his prices as well to compete.

Just no telling if/when this will come about.

That's a very good and valid point.  Especially if their .gov contracts start getting smaller at some point.  

Just wait, Barack or Hillary will get into office, bring our boys back home in 6 mos and then we'll be swimming in ammo.  

Yep, we'll be swimming in ammo at the cheapest prices we've seen in long time ....but we will not have any guns left to shoot the ammo after Barak or Hillary get done taking all of our guns.
Link Posted: 2/14/2008 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#18]
It's true, that is why WWB 9mm went up $3 per 100 recently.
Link Posted: 2/14/2008 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It's true, that is why WWB 9mm went up $3 per 100 recently.

And what goes up can NEVER go down!  It's a fact!
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 4:13:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Just wait, Barack or Hillary will get into office, bring our boys back home in 6 mos and then we'll be swimming in ammo.  

Except us lowly peasants can no longer buy .gov surplus ammo
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Here are the trends...

Link Posted: 2/15/2008 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to work at LCAAP as an engineer when Olin was the government contractor, so I'll call some of my former co-workers and inquire...
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 2:34:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I used to work at LCAAP as an engineer when Olin was the government contractor, so I'll call some of my former co-workers and inquire...

From what I gather from my buddies, LCAAP was MUCH better off when Olin ran it.  They say the current management is a joke.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Just an update....the local (warrensburg, mo) ammo prices finally went up accross the board.

100 rnd Winchester 9mm = $18.42 up from $15.72
550 rnd Federal Bulk Pack 22lr = $11.97 up from $9.98

I'm glad I got my reloading stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top