Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2008 6:59:06 PM EDT
And I quote:

2132 update: livid, superintendent and mayor say curfew for 30 days - ACLU notified, contacts in local business and media notified - little hope from media or ACLU. Will see about business pressure on city council. Do me a favor and post it on arf hometown forum if possible, see if anyone cares to call or email state reps etc. Power still out but hopeful about weekend. How is Cali?

If you're concerned, please call or contact your reps.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#1]
What, no one cares about this?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been going in and out of the city to St. Bernard the past 2 days for work and this is the first that I hear this. Now I did see a National Guard with a 203 under his m4  today.Didn't have time to say what a nice empty 40mm launcher he had but he may have tear gas shells. I stopped by Jackson Barracks today. Still no free M4 samples.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure that it will help, but I will send out a few emails.  30 days is bullshit, especially if they have power back before then.

My guess is that the curfews will lift as power comes back on.  That is what is happening around here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Negative.

We have 82% + power back right the fuck now, these assclowns just want a curfew because they think they can stop crime with it and could give two shits about the constitution or the law.

FYI, I am the NOPD officer refered to in the initial post--I sent that to Epee via text before I got power back at my house and could get online.

Oh, and lest anyone think I am pissed for my own sake, this curfew shit does not apply to me because I am a police officer.  

And lest anyone think that my screen name means I am pissed about bars being closed, there is a bar that is exempt from this because it is set aside for police, fire, EMS, and the multitude of fuckwad elitist bastard civilians (yeah, yeah, I know, we are all civilians [except the Guard types who enforce anything they are told with fucking glee] but saying civilian versus fire, police, EMS is easier than tagging "non-sworn, non-public safety personnel" on to the damn sentence,) who man city hall and the EOC, and who have no problem with being granted priviledges and rights not afforded to the common folk.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Negative.

We have 82% + power back right the fuck now, these assclowns just want a curfew because they think they can stop crime with it and could give two shits about the constitution or the law.

FYI, I am the NOPD officer refered to in the initial post--I sent that to Epee via text before I got power back at my house and could get online.

Oh, and lest anyone think I am pissed for my own sake, this curfew shit does not apply to me because I am a police officer.  

And lest anyone think that my screen name means I am pissed about bars being closed, there is a bar that is exempt from this because it is set aside for police, fire, EMS, and the multitude of fuckwad elitist bastard civilians (yeah, yeah, I know, we are all civilians [except the Guard types who enforce anything they are told with fucking glee] but saying civilian versus fire, police, EMS is easier than tagging "non-sworn, non-public safety personnel" on to the damn sentence,) who man city hall and the EOC, and who have no problem with being granted priviledges and rights not afforded to the common folk.

Well, that certainly makes a difference in my opinion.

That is some fucked up shit.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
What really chaps my ass about this BS (aside from the whole constitutionality issues) is the problems it causes instead of curing. If curfews exist then businesses must comply. Thus, you want groceries/gas, it must occur between 6-8am and 7 pm. Few hours to do business mean longer lines and more conditions for hostility and stupid shit happens with malcontents. This is why I buy groceries at 2 am... to avoid idiots. Now you have every idiot in the area in these gas/grocery lines
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:57:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Negative.

That is truly fucked up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:49:06 AM EDT
[#8]

scotchymcdrinkerbean

Is there a time frame for the national guard to leave? Specifically for the ones that are stationed at Jackson Barracks. My girlfriends brother is in one of the units over there, sucks for them because they are scheduled to go to Afghanistan at the end of the year.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 5:36:42 AM EDT
[#9]
What possible reason could they be citing for such an extended curfew? Is it the threat of Ike, so they won't have to re-instate curfew if it hits? But, that doesn't make sense either. I'm confused.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#10]
This storm, Gustav, did not do much damage in New Orelans.  A 30 day curfew is bogus.  I'll ask some media friends of mine about this.
Link Posted: 9/8/2008 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Hee hee!

I hit 'em where it counts.  I started recall petitions on my councilwoman and both the at-large members this morning.  I emailed 'em, told 'em it was over their failure to stop the dumbass mayor from doing this, and invited them to check with the LA Secretary of State, with whom I filed my intent this morning, and designated myself the custodian of records for the matter.  I informed them that that way they could confirm that this was no mere bluff and bluster on my part, but the beginning of an action that would turn them out of office.  Six hours later, the council president emailed me and said the curfew was eliminated, and 15 minutes later the mayor had a surprise press conference saying it was lifted.
Link Posted: 9/8/2008 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What possible reason could they be citing for such an extended curfew? Is it the threat of Ike, so they won't have to re-instate curfew if it hits? But, that doesn't make sense either. I'm confused.

Because they thought they could control crime that way.
Link Posted: 9/8/2008 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I live on the northshore and watch the ass clown mayor and his fucked up news conferences....

What I find most amazing is the asshole was re-elected...

I really feel for the NO people living there and being guided by what I consider the biggest dumbass in the world.....

"dis is the motha of all stoooormsss....geeeet ouuuutt now....."  What a jack ass
Link Posted: 9/8/2008 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hee hee!

I hit 'em where it counts.  I started recall petitions on my councilwoman and both the at-large members this morning.  I emailed 'em, told 'em it was over their failure to stop the dumbass mayor from doing this, and invited them to check with the LA Secretary of State, with whom I filed my intent this morning, and designated myself the custodian of records for the matter.  I informed them that that way they could confirm that this was no mere bluff and bluster on my part, but the beginning of an action that would turn them out of office.  Six hours later, the council president emailed me and said the curfew was eliminated, and 15 minutes later the mayor had a surprise press conference saying it was lifted.

Congratulations.  My friend was unable to ask this question of the mayor this morning, but you seem to have solved the problem for all of us.

edited for poor typing skills.
Link Posted: 9/8/2008 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#15]
XD, did you get my response PM?  Not showing up as a sent item.
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Got it.  Computers can be funny, ya know?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top