Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2009 6:11:41 AM EDT
A guy I work with is getting his permit to purchase.  When he dropped the app off at his local PD in St. Anthony apparently the usual person wasn't there to accept it and an officer just took it and didn't ask for ID or anything.  They just called and said it was ready to be picked up, then they called back a few minutes later and said he would need to bring in his driver's licence PLUS either his passport or birth certificate.  That doesn't sound right, I thought all that was required was the DL.  Can they require both items? If not, can someone give me a link to what the requirements are?  I found a link to the app on the BCA website but there are no ID requirements on it that I can see.  He doesn't have a passport and he's not sure where his birth cert is.

Thanks,

Bitter Bastard
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#1]
as far as i can recall, i had to just bring in my drivers license and that was all it took
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#2]
You are interested in MN 624.7131

624.7131 TRANSFEREE PERMIT; PENALTY.
Subdivision 1.Information.Any person may apply for a transferee permit by providing the following information in writing to the chief of police of an organized full time police department of the municipality in which the person resides or to the county sheriff if there is no such local chief of police:

(1) the name, residence, telephone number, and driver's license number or nonqualification certificate number, if any, of the proposed transferee;

(2) the sex, date of birth, height, weight, and color of eyes, and distinguishing physical characteristics, if any, of the proposed transferee;

(3) a statement that the proposed transferee authorizes the release to the local police authority of commitment information about the proposed transferee maintained by the commissioner of human services, to the extent that the information relates to the proposed transferee's eligibility to possess a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon under section 624.713, subdivision 1; and

(4) a statement by the proposed transferee that the proposed transferee is not prohibited by section 624.713 from possessing a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon.

The statements shall be signed and dated by the person applying for a permit. At the time of application, the local police authority shall provide the applicant with a dated receipt for the application. The statement under clause (3) must comply with any applicable requirements of Code of Federal Regulations, title 42, sections 2.31 to 2.35, with respect to consent to disclosure of alcohol or drug abuse patient records.

<...>

Subd. 3.Forms.Chiefs of police and sheriffs shall make transferee permit application forms available throughout the community. There shall be no charge for forms, reports, investigations, notifications, waivers or any other act performed or materials provided by a government employee or agency in connection with application for or issuance of a transferee permit.

<...>

Subd. 5.Granting of permits.The chief of police or sheriff shall issue a transferee permit or deny the application within seven days of application for the permit. The chief of police or sheriff shall provide an applicant with written notification of a denial and the specific reason for the denial. The permits and their renewal shall be granted free of charge.

<...>

Subd. 12.Local regulation.This section shall be construed to supersede municipal or county regulation of the issuance of transferee permits.

The important bits: fill out the form (link) turn in and get a dated recepit. It should be free. The PD has 7 days to permit or deny. IANAL, but I do not see any requirement for showing your DL to the PD, let alone passport or birth cert.

ETA: I added Subd. 12, which shows that 624.7131 supersedes any local rules in regards to issuing a permit to purchase. You friend can and should go down there and pick up his permit with a copy of the statute and tell them to 'shove it.' They don't get to make the rules, and they are abusing their power.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I got mine in Mille Lacs county (first a permit to purchase and then later a permit to carry) and they were always mailed to me.  I always got it passed the number of required days.  I think this gave the an excuse to delay it by saying "it is in the mail".  Wish the same rules applied to everyone.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#4]
UPDATE -

My co-worker did NOT get his permit from the St. Anthony police department today.  The counter person insisted on a birth certificate or passport and even gave him the chief's name/number if he had any questions.  Oddly enough the law linked to earlier in this thread (thanks!) doesn't seem to specify that ANY credentials are required.

UPDATE 2 -

As I typed this my friend just called and said he did have his BC, returned to the cop shop, and received his permit.

I'll just give the St. Anthony PD chief a shout-out - YOU SUCK!
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]
BitterBastard, do you mind if I quote you on another forum?

I am thinking there might be at least one person who would enjoy pointing out to the Chief of Police that he doesn't get to make the law up as he goes.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#6]
That's fine, I don't think there is anything particularly sensitive in this thread and it is the internet, after all.

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#7]
It's not just that one department.  Let me make it clear what is taking place here:  There is a coordinated effort amongst all these departments to deprive us of our rights.  A right delayed is a right denied.

I had to wait three weeks for Burnsville to get me the purchase permit last year.  Each time I called: "the woman who processes the permits is on vacation."

She was not on vacation.

My friend in St. Paul is presently waiting for his.  He was delayed approx. 30 days last year and he is well past the 30 day mark this year.  The woman who processes the permits is "on vacation."  

This is a coordinated effort on the part of anti-gun police chiefs to subvert the law.  It could not be more clear what 7 Days means.  There is no confusion about it at all.  All there is is interference.  Funny, they don't screw around with the law when it comes out in favor of their zero tolerance money-grabs on the highways, do they?

We need to be suing these departments and working to get these purchase permit rules repealed since the police can clearly not be entrusted to follow the law.  Does anyone know an attorney who is not afraid to take these guys on in a class action or whatever it is you do if you can get standing?  I would definitely like to follow up on it because I know that as these departments begin facing ever tighter budgets, you just know that they are going to ignore, ignore, ignore their duties and obligations except when it comes to writing traffic tickets.

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#8]
The problem with fighting it in the courts, is that it takes money.

Bitching to the PD, the Mayor and the City Council would be a pretty good tactic I'd think.

(Lakeville took 7 business days, IIRC)
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#9]
In Duluth they told me at the counter to come back after two business weeks (14 days), no sooner.  I stopped back 12 days later and picked it up. Judging from the expiration date, it looks like it was sitting there for a good 7 days before I picked it up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#10]
It means absolutely nothing to bitch about this stuff, unless you are willing to take them to task by going to court.  That is going to cost money!  And, if you get into it....you know when your permit to purchase expired, just get a head of the program with getting the next one.  Or get a Permit to Carry?  And, there are other MN based boards that are going eat crap up, but in the end will things change?  

When I was getting my P2P from the Eden Prairie PD; they all came in week always mailed to me at home.  One time it was more then a week, and there was a note from the officer apologizing cause he WAS on vacation and it was only a couple days.  Some of you need take your Reynolds Wrap hats off!

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Got mine from SA PD too; brought in a passport and license and picked it up a week or so later.  No skin off my back.  Step into the Y2K and get passports
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 5:15:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Got mine from SA PD too; brought in a passport and license and picked it up a week or so later.  No skin off my back.  Step into the Y2K and get passports

It's the principle of the thing.  Some would-be dictator chief trying to make his own rules to hamper the legal exercise of a citizen's rights.  Shit like that just really chaps my hide.  I'm glad I've never run into the problem but since I'm not a man of means and have no connections, I would have had to just suck it up and take it as well.

And it sounds like it's rampant in the state, which makes it even worse since it isn't isolated.  And there's simply no recourse.  When laws are selectively enforced, that is the beginning of oppression.

Fuck'em all.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
<...> but in the end will things change?  <...>

Sure, things will change. I've succesfully lobbied my city to fix their illegal gun laws.

I suppose people get the government they deserve. If you are ok with your government requiring things above the legal requirments... you know like extra paperwork, extra money, denying people for reason not permitted in the law, etc...

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want gun rights move to washington county. Everytime I have renewed my permit to purchase i would have a new card in the mail in 3 days. i just moved to north st. paul and applied for my permit to carry and it took "36 DAYS" to get it. fuckin ramsey county anti-gun pricks. I think every county has to take a lesson from the gun lovers over in washington county.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top