Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 5:55:29 PM EDT
Machine adjusters, starts at about $16 and goes up to $21 after a couple years (increases every three months).  Good benefits and the AMMO ROOM where I just bought 9mm for $3/50...

There was also some weird shift doing some other job––work 36 hours per week (12 hour overnights) get paid for 40.

Great place for a gun enthusiast.  Boring and long (12 hour) overnight shifts, with availablke OT.  I like it becuase it gives me alternating three and four day weekends to pursue hobbies and Real Estate.

Apply at ATK's website.

Way too many pro Obama bumper stickers in the ATK lot, however.  People are stupid.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Might have to apply for the 3- 12 weekend shift. Thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Didn't they just lay off a bunch of people?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yup, and then called them back and want to hire 25-35 more.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the "heads up"!!!  It (hopefully) will be one helluva long commute for this kid!  
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uncle Fed!
Let me know when you guys are hiring a pharmacist.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uncle Fed!
Let me know when you guys are hiring a pharmacist.  

They have a clinic in house.  The nurse there was new since I got laid off last november. They have a doctor that comes in once a week, I believe.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#7]
How likely are these jobs to be long term?

I'd love to get out of where I'm at now, but it's a safe job. I'd hate to switch now and lose the job 3 months down the road. Plus, it turns my 8 minute commute into a good 40 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:12:28 PM EDT
[#8]
When I started last year, I had heard that Federal did have layoffs.  No one I talked to on various forums had experienced a layoff for several years––but we all know the economy was tanking already last year.  HR had also stated that layoffs had happened, but not recently, and that typically people were hired back within a year.  (A year is how long you are on the roster in a layoff, after that, they may require you to start all over).

My #1 priority was cheap ammo and to get my foot in the door, so I jumped.  Several guys that started with me had QUIT a job to get in with ATK.  I just moved around my Real Estate schedule.  

That same month, we were all laid off.  This was November 08.  HR said they were suprised.  By the way, none of these new hires were taken back to their old (pre Federal) jobs.

Just about six months later, I am back.  Foot was in the door, so now I am moving up the chain.  HR says that this hire should almost certainly last longer.  But, one of the guys I am working with has been there just under three years, and he was to be in the next wave of layoff sin January 09.  However, things turned around and the plant is busy.

Many people have been there a long time.  Rumor has it that one old guy actually died at work of old age.  

As far as commuting, I have been doing that all my life and it is just part of the price of having to work.  Takes me 32-40 minutes (driving thru McD's for a coffee) down; but have to avoid rush hour going home, so 40-50 minutes. my Average times last week were 35 down and 45 home.  I just call my buds or listen to the radio or some fire and brimstone preachin'!  Keep in mind, that gives me almost exactly 10 hours to eat, sleep, and spend with the family before having to be back at the grindstone.  Easy on the three day weeks, a bit tougher on the four day weeks (but then you just think about that 8 hours of time and a half you are getting that week).  

I don't think you can tell or know.  Just have a plan B.  This job is dependent on economy, Military spending, and potential legislation.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I just filled out a profile and applied for two different positions, thanks for the heads up.

Don
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it would be fantastic to work somewhere like that, but that would be one long ass commute for me. Its too bad really.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This job is dependent on economy, Military spending, and potential legislation.

Economy in the crapper, Obama to cut Military spending and Dems in control of everything. Not looking to good IMO.

Tough choice for me. I don't particularly like my job, but like I said, it's safe. We are busier than ever.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a few emails from them(one for each job I applied for) thanking me for applying and that they would be in contact with me. I didn't want to piss them off by calling when they said they would be in contact, but I don't want to let a job slip through my fingers because I didn't show interest. I called a few days ago and left a message with the HR person, but haven't heard back yet. Any Federal workers know if they have started hiring or interviewing for the jobs they posted?

Don
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I got the same email.

I hope they call me soon.
Link Posted: 5/15/2009 5:37:06 AM EDT
[#14]
That e-mail is automated from the website.

If they haven't called in a week, you should be on top of it.

Jon
Link Posted: 5/16/2009 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That e-mail is automated from the website.

If they haven't called in a week, you should be on top of it.

Jon

Agreed.  I actually had to apply twice before I got in.  (First time I was not on top of it).

Link Posted: 5/22/2009 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#16]
They had over 600 applications for 50-75 jobs.  So don't give up, that's a lot of apps to look through.  I wish you guys the best in your search.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#17]
They called me yesterday about noon, I had to pass tho Got laid off yesterday from my main job, just wouldn't pan out to drive and stay in the Cities for 2 nights with ATK as my only job.

So whoever gets my slot needs to hook me up with some ammo
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When I started last year, I had heard that Federal did have layoffs.  No one I talked to on various forums had experienced a layoff for several years––but we all know the economy was tanking already last year.  HR had also stated that layoffs had happened, but not recently, and that typically people were hired back within a year.  (A year is how long you are on the roster in a layoff, after that, they may require you to start all over).

My #1 priority was cheap ammo and to get my foot in the door, so I jumped.  Several guys that started with me had QUIT a job to get in with ATK.  I just moved around my Real Estate schedule.  

That same month, we were all laid off.  This was November 08.  HR said they were suprised.  By the way, none of these new hires were taken back to their old (pre Federal) jobs.

Just about six months later, I am back.  Foot was in the door, so now I am moving up the chain.  HR says that this hire should almost certainly last longer.  But, one of the guys I am working with has been there just under three years, and he was to be in the next wave of layoff sin January 09.  However, things turned around and the plant is busy.

Many people have been there a long time.  Rumor has it that one old guy actually died at work of old age.  

As far as commuting, I have been doing that all my life and it is just part of the price of having to work.  Takes me 32-40 minutes (driving thru McD's for a coffee) down; but have to avoid rush hour going home, so 40-50 minutes. my Average times last week were 35 down and 45 home.  I just call my buds or listen to the radio or some fire and brimstone preachin'!  Keep in mind, that gives me almost exactly 10 hours to eat, sleep, and spend with the family before having to be back at the grindstone.  Easy on the three day weeks, a bit tougher on the four day weeks (but then you just think about that 8 hours of time and a half you are getting that week).  

I don't think you can tell or know.  Just have a plan B.  This job is dependent on economy, Military spending, and potential legislation.

That old guy you are talking about was my Stepfather. He went to work his second shift job and was holding the door for the ladies leaving-then had a MASSIVE heart attack right at the door.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That old guy you are talking about was my Stepfather. He went to work his second shift job and was holding the door for the ladies leaving-then had a MASSIVE heart attack right at the door.

I helped respond to that. My condolences to you. He was remembered as a good man and a pleasure to work with.

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I helped respond to that. My condolences to you. He was remembered as a good man and a pleasure to work with.

Thanks. My mom misses him terribly.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 6:59:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Federal is hiring 40 more people for Q shift (7pm-7am).  Weekends.  Thur. night through Sunday night and Friday night through Sunday night, alternating weeks.

Just emphasize your mechanical skills and put down any shift.  In the last two months, two groups of people who started on this shift got transferred to shifts of their choice, so it's not forever.

Most people just got cash bonuses from profit sharing (I believe the guys who had been there a year got about 1000.00), also, everybody who had gotten through their probationary period got a 2.5% pay increase over scale.

It's a good jobb while it lasts.  Oh yeah––-I really like that you can buy 40 hours of paid time off, and it's spread out over your paychecks for the year.  But, when you take it, it's paid out at your current, potentially higher, pay rate.  Good benefits too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top