Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2009 7:06:24 PM EDT
Well, I need three of them and finding the people isn't an issue, I'm just wondering what you guys put in yours (aware that many towns don't have this requirement, but mine does).

I figured something like:

X has requested that I write a character reference on his behalf. I'm aware that this is for a pistol permit application.
I have known X for X years and fully support him, yadda yadda yadda.

Other than stating the relationship and a few comments about me, what else should go in it?

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one for you:

Sharpshooterz98 is a citizen of the state of CT. I dont know what he does, who he hangs with, even if he has a dog or not. What I do know is that he is at least 21 years of age, has a clean criminal record as far as I can tell (that is your job to find out), and has complied with all state laws regarding the application for a pistol permit. This letter is simply an excess burden placed on him by a corrupt town government that ignores state laws.

Regards,

A citizen tired of excess bullshit.

ETA: your format looks fine.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol as tempting as it is to challenge them on their bullshit, I just want my damn permit. I won't tell them about the dog, don't want it shot

Amazingly, our town actually does follow through and call your references.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I cribbed parts of this from someone else who posted some letter templates here before.  Please feel free to take credit if you recognize any of this:

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing this letter on behalf of John Doe of 123 Main St, Anywhere, CT.  

I believe that the applicant is of good moral character and that the applicant understands the seriousness of the responsibility and the trust that will be conferred upon him/her by the community to safely own and handle a firearm, and that he/she is suitable to be approved for a state permit to carry pistols and revolvers.  

Please note that I am not related to, employed by, indebted or obligated to the applicant in any way.

Sincerely,
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 4:40:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you applying for a state permit?
There is no requirement for letters of reference.

Dammit, be our guinea pig and set a local precedent.
Don't get any "Jim Crow" letters from your friends.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 5:30:28 AM EDT
[#5]
gotta go with the other guys here

they can not deny you because you do not give letters of reference.

I was asked for them, and simply ignored it- went in to get fingerprinted and hand in the paperwork, money, etc. and noone said anything.

just do it- they will be breaking the law if they deny you for not submitting letters of reference

Link Posted: 5/8/2009 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#6]
IMHO many (most?) town officials don't really care about what the laws actually require, they only care about what they say it requires. If the town denies your app because you don't supply some extraneous item with your application that is not required by law, isn't your recourse to go through the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners? Doesn't that Board have something like a two-year backlog of cases?
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
IMHO many (most?) town officials don't really care about what the laws actually require, they only care about what they say it requires. If the town denies your app because you don't supply some extraneous item with your application that is not required by law, isn't your recourse to go through the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners? Doesn't that Board have something like a two-year backlog of cases?

By making us yield to their demands, they win. If you stand up for what's right, we win.
Contact your state rep. They work for you and are your advocate to the state .gov
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#8]
In general I agree with your line of argument - for example, that's the approach that I am planning to take with my town's tax assessor (who has the mistaken impression that she can invent the laws of the state on a whim).

OTOH, since I got my carry permit five years ago, I'm not the one facing the decision on how to proceed in this instance. I figure that it's better for the OP to be armed with as much info as possible ahead of time before making any such decisions...
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In general I agree with your line of argument - for example, that's the approach that I am planning to take with my town's tax assessor (who has the mistaken impression that she can invent the laws of the state on a whim).

Not to hijack, but dont take any shit from your town over taxes, I just sucessfully sued my town over my last assessment. Anyone wanting info on this please IM me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2009 3:44:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Sharpshooterz98, what town are you from?  Can you add any info to this string?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=26&t=357490

I'm getting ready to send off my first volley and your info will be helpful.

Rome
Link Posted: 5/9/2009 6:07:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the responses. I know this isn't a state requirement but my town, North Branford, requires it. When my dad got his permit, they did end up calling all three of his references. As much as I hate seeing this kind of BS pulled on gun owners, I also want my permit since I'll be working in Hartford.

Cabinetman - I'll post in your thread in 6 days. Not turning 21 until friday. And yes, I've always been this eager about licenses. Got my firearms safety course the earliest possible day i could, drivers license the day I turned 16 and 4 months, etc
Link Posted: 5/9/2009 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks.  I'll be watching for your post.

"Requiring" references and then calling them is an intimidation process.  While on the surface it may not seem to be a problem, it really is in this day and age.  This isnt' looking for a referral for a job or some position.  It is a personal choice to obtain a pistol license and in many cases the applicant wants to remain anonymous to even his/her family and friends.  So, "requiring' people outside of your family to vouch for your sanity and upstandedness (new word) and being told that you're applying for a handgun permit is pretty intimidating, is not part of the state license process, and should not be part of the town's process.  

Rome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top