Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/6/2013 4:16:22 AM EDT

The purpose of this "morning after" message is to urge everyone here to INK, not pencil, Monday 20 Jan 2014 for a trip to Richmond - Lobby Day 2014.  After what happened yesterday, I think it's fair to say that VA gun owners will have some difficult times ahead.  Lets try to get as many people as possible in front of our so-called representatives and show them that we are a force with which to be reckoned.  

I have room for 5 others from the Alexandria/Arlington area.

If anyone ISN'T a member of VCDL and the NRA, if you've been waiting for a signal, consider yesterday's outcome as the big sign.

Talk to your friends and associates, and get them there also.

24 November update for those who have not previously been to Lobby Day:

Lobby Day is the day that the General Assembly officially gets started for the new year.  Over the years, it has turned into the day on which groups and individuals go visit the GA members and express their interests and concerns.  VCDL has turned this into an art form, IMO.

I can only speak for some of us here in NoVA, but the details go something like this - a bunch of us meet up and carpool and/or caravan to Richmond.  Everyone meets up in front of the Capitol Building, and organizes into groups (each group visits a different set of legislators - the goal being that every legislator gets a visit from a group from VCDL).

As timing gets closer, I suggest we start an organization thread for carpools and caravans from various parts of the state.

14 January update:  Have Suburban, Will Travel.  Leaving from Alexandria, who needs/wants a ride?

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:02:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Indeed.

While i am disappointed by yesterday's results, i am ENERGIZED as well.

And i'll tell you why.

I have been a member of VCDL since i moved to this great state.

I have seen them grow and fight in Richmond for our 2nd amendment rights.

I have seen the results of their lobbying efforts at Lobby Day.

https://vimeo.com/34618841

Too many people in Va are content to sit on the sidelines and let others fight for their rights.

VCDL is THE reason we have shall issue ccw.

VCDL is THE reason we have state wide preemption.

VCDL is THE reason we have ccw in restaraunts that serve alcohol.

We are the premiere gun rights organization fighting in Richmond for YOU!

But we need YOU!

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:54:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Wife and I will be there.

Armed.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 6:27:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I've gone every year for the last few years. VERY worthwhile. (and please don't wear camo)
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've gone every year for the last few years. VERY worthwhile. (and please don't wear camo)
View Quote

Yeah, everybody needs to dress the fuck up. Go buy a damn tie.

Seriously, we look better if you come not looking like you just rolled out of the deer stand.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Wearing a suit is almost as silly as wearing camo... just wear normal clothes ffs
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wearing a suit is almost as silly as wearing camo... just wear normal clothes ffs
View Quote

Not  suit but a jacket and tie go a long way with perceptions.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen to that.  Long time ago, far far away when I was a county prosecutor, an expensive suit would get a defense counsel a lot further with his client than how strong his legal acumen was.  

If I can swing it based on my work load I'll try to be down there to assist.  If I can go and anyone wants to ride down from NOVA let me know...
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Amen to that.  Long time ago, far far away when I was a county prosecutor, an expensive suit would get a defense counsel a lot further with his client than how strong his legal acumen was.  

If I can swing it based on my work load I'll try to be down there to assist.  If I can go and anyone wants to ride down from NOVA let me know...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jumping on the bandwagon. As someone on the receiving end of constituent meetings (daily), a suit only helps your case.  

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

I personally don't care a whit what you wear, as long as you have some sort of clothes on, normally. In fact, currently, I'm wearing a ratty t-shirt the wife has been trying to throw away for months plus jeans that are almost as old as son #1.

Consider that an oft repeated meme on the other side of our central issue is that we are a collection of red neck hillbillies that don't wear shoes. When you show up dressed nicely and professionally, anybody on the fence gets a positive impression and it allows others to inspect their prejudices.

I've just put in to take a day off from work and head downtown.

We need to arrange an ar15.com post lobby lunch this year as well.

TR
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#10]
It would be nice to have a HUGE turnout of Arfcommers.
Lunch afterwards is a must!

I wonder if we can scam QuanticoTactical into bringing the smoker??    
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll be there.  And to echo those above, NO CAMO!  If the media is there taking pictures, they will look right past the 1,000 people wearing collared shirts and ties and take photos of the one person wearing camo, so they can paint us as uneducated hillbillies.  Don't be that guy.  Wear a tie.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're kidding, right?

This is a professional environment, dress the part.

I will be there, again, as I was last year. Got a buddy to sign up today for VCDL. Hopefully I can add a few more. I need to renew, but I can't find my membership number.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#13]
VA-ALERT: Election wrapup

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not yet a VCDL member? Join VCDL at: http://www.vcdl.org/join
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html

THE BAD NEWS, THE GOOD NEWS, AND WISHFUL THINKING BY THE ANTIS

THE BAD NEWS

Anti-gun Terry McAuliffe-Bloomberg won the governorship by 2.5% over Ken Cuccinelli and anti-gun Ralph Northam won the Lt. Governor race over E.W. Jackson by a more substantial 10.5%.  The Attorney General race is still vacillating between anti-gun Mark Herring and pro-gun Mark Obenshain.  Only 726 votes, out of 2,205,843 cast, separate them as I write this!

Remember me saying it was going to be tight and every pro-gun vote was needed?

I expect that we are going to see pro-gun bills vetoed by McAuliffe-Bloomberg, which is going to make it hard to move our agenda forward.  We probably will also see some anti-gun activism coming out of the Governor's Mansion.  Finally, there is also the chance that games will be played with state agencies prohibiting guns.

In the event of a tie on a gun bill, we can expect an anti-gun tie-breaking vote from Northam.  Also, the power in the Senate will now switch to the anti-gun Democrat leadership.  BUT, see, "IMPORTANT:  WHAT'S NEXT" below.

The Attorney General's opinions are supposed to be a good reflection of the law, but I've seen Herring really twist things to justify an anti-gun position, so color me skeptical that opinions on guns will be fair and accurate if he's elected.  I hope I'm wrong - we'll see.

THE GOOD NEWS

The bright spot is that gun owners maintained a huge pro-gun majority in the House of Delegates!  That means that anti-gun bills are extremely stoppable if we all do our part when called upon by VCDL to perform some kind of action.

And Obenshain might very well pull off the election for Attorney General.  I have a whole lot more faith in Obenshain than Herring issuing impartial opinions.

WISHFUL THINKING BY THE ANTIS

Here is an article in the Daily Beast that is trying to say that Virginia's voters now support gun control based on the election results.

Nice try, but no cigar.

If Virginians want gun control, why did 54% of voters support pro-gun candidates for Governor over McAuliffe-Bloomberg?  Why did they re-elect pro-gun Republicans to a large majority in the House?

Like I said, nice try:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/11/06/guns-go-down-in-the-nra-s-backyard.html

IMPORTANT:  WHAT'S NEXT?

Sometime in the next month or so we will learn who our Attorney General is going to be.  In the meantime Senator Northam's Senate seat will be up for grabs and if we can get a pro-gun Senator elected, we will have a stronger Senate.  And it is very doable if we do our part.  (If the Republicans run a decent candidate, they could have a 21-19 majority in the Senate and effectively deny the Lt. Governor a vote and, at the same time, keep the anti-gun Democratic leadership out of power.)

The VCDL-PAC chairman, Bob Sadtler, has been on top of wargaming the special elections that will be used to fill the seats of Northam, Herring, and Obenshain, depending on which of them won.

We do NOT want to lose any of the open Senate seats!  Be prepared when the VCDL-PAC is ready to start moving on those special elections.  We must win those seats!

LOBBY DAY IS NOW MORE IMPORTANT THAN EVER!

No excuses - mark your calendars now and get that day off from work to come to Richmond and lobby for our gun rights with fellow VCDL members!  Lobby Day is on Monday, January 20, 2014 at 9 AM at the General Assembly Building in Richmond (SE corner of 9th and Broad Streets - across from City Hall).  We will be having a rally at the Bell Tower at 11 AM that day.  This is a huge VCDL event and a fun one.  Don't' miss it.

MEMBERS, MEMBERS, MEMBERS

The more members VCDL has, the stronger we are.  So please help us get those all important new members signed up!  And remember, just because you get these alerts doesn't mean your are an actual member.  Membership is $25 a year and is the best investment you can make to protect your rights.  Also, with the special elections coming up SOON, consider a donation to the VCDL-PAC.

And let me say this:  VCDL is NOT going to back off its agenda based on the statewide election results.  We have lives to protect and we will be working hard to do so.  Be ready for a fight starting in January and stand with us as we continue to move the ball forward and guard that precious jewel known as liberty.

-------------------------------------------
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:42:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

VA-ALERT: Election wrapup
(If the Republicans run a decent candidate, they could have a 21-19 majority in the Senate and effectively deny the Lt. Governor a vote and, at the same time, keep the anti-gun Democratic leadership out of power.)

View Quote

I highlighted the salient part.

Anyone here from that district?  Any suggestions on how to affect this process in a positive way?

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:44:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Donate money to the VCDL PAC.

I'm going to talk to the powers that be about doing some campaign ads if we can.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:57:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Donate money to the VCDL PAC.

I'm going to talk to the powers that be about doing some campaign ads if we can.
View Quote

I was specifically referring to figuring out a way to get the appropriate candidate running.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 5:12:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I wore a tie last year. It doesn't hurt (but I wear a tie every day).

The best dressed guy last year that I saw was a guy who looked about 21. Well fitted black suit with a red tie. Also was open carrying an AR-15 pistol with a 30 rounder.

Dress the fuck up people.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 5:41:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I think we all agree that the idea here is to not wear camo and/or dirty clothes that make you look like a bush-league backwoods tool.

fuck ties
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm in.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Also, come up with a script and stick to it.

It's annoying when you're talking about a bill and somebody in your group decides it's time for crazytown frolics.

Just my opinion on what I saw last year.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#21]
In.

My suit was lost by the airline the last time I flew, but I'll at least look professional. I might just go buy a new damned suit.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 4:55:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I'll be there.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll be there in spirit.

Joined VCDL this week though.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'll be there in spirit.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/9/2013 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll be there, I have to thank my Delegate - as his pro-2A bill he drafted for me will probably end up vetoed now
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'll be there in spirit.

View Quote

If you want to prepare a written statement or something to get to your reps, I'd be happy to make sure it gets in their hands.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Of course I am going. I'll lead a team again too, the usual suspects, please.

ETA: @Bulldog1967 I have a pickup truck to haul all your gear in now, you're welcome to get a ride.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Of course I am going. I'll lead a team again too, the usual suspects, please.

ETA: @Bulldog1967 I have a pickup truck to haul all your gear in now, you're welcome to get a ride.
View Quote

YOUDAMAN!
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 4:45:43 AM EDT
[#29]
I know switchman posted this in its own thread, but just as incentive:

How many VA members do we have?  We should be able to get 500-1000 people at Lobby Day all by ourselves!
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:47:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Update in OP for new members/potential members.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 5:20:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Bump.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 5:40:41 AM EDT
[#32]
A "I'm so glad that thread in GD is productive and helpful - NOT!" bump.

Bring your friends, bring your neighbors, VCDL Lobby Day!

Keep in mind this is a 60 day session, so we will need to keep a very watchful eye on what is going on.

I'm assuming that this current "mental health" push will bypass the militia and police committee and go to the Health, Welfare and Institutions committee instead; any thoughts on this?

TR
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:15:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm assuming that this current "mental health" push will bypass the militia and police committee and go to the Health, Welfare and Institutions committee instead; any thoughts on this?

TR
View Quote

They will try every measure to bypass ANY checks and balances to pass their agenda.

Count on it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Anti-gunners have decided to show up on 1/20 as well

http://virginiashootingsportsassociation.blogspot.com/2013/12/virginia-gun-ban-lobby-using-newtown.html

Beyond the Vigils, please plan to go to Richmond on Martin Luther King Jr. Day on January 20th

We need to have as many people as possible in Richmond on MLK day to represent the majority of Virginians who support responsible gun laws. Please mark this date on your calendar and plan to join mothers, fathers, teachers, law enforcement officers, faith leaders, politicians, activists, andmany more who will gather to honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King and remember the countless Virginians who have lost their lives to gun violence. We will make our voices heard as the Virginia General Assembly comes back into session and continue to fight for the freedom to live in a world free from gun violence.

Please continue to tell your friends and family to sign up for Virginians for Responsible Gun Laws at www.vrgl.org and, if you haven’t already, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. Thank you for all of your hard work and commitment to this cause. There will be more updates to follow as we head into 2014.
Sincerely,
Lori Haas
View Quote

So show the fuck up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Bump
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I just signed up to be a team leader.  If you have gun owning friends that aren't planning on coming, it's time to shame them into doing something to protect their rights.  Gun owners who let others carry the water for them aren't much better than those who are trying to destroy our rights.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#37]
bump because this is critical
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Anyone have room for one more in a carpool around winchester or nova? Never been and Id love to see what its all about.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Anyone have room for one more in a carpool around winchester or nova? Never been and Id love to see what its all about.
View Quote

Nova, yes, starting from Vienna Metro. There is free parking there, as it's a holiday.
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#41]
I wonder if it would be value added to buy a copy of this study, print it out, and pass it around.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13504851.2013.854294#tabModule
http://reason.com/blog/2013/12/23/concealed-carry-fewer-murders-says-new-s
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Nova, yes, starting from Vienna Metro. There is free parking there, as it's a holiday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in Fairfax and could meet people too who are going. If the weather is nice I'll ride down though. Just found out I won't be working so I might as well go.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Lobby Day update from PVC:

Not yet a VCDL member? Join VCDL at: http://www.vcdl.org/join
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html

LEGISLATIVE SESSION IS ABOUT TO START - WHAT TO EXPECT

The all-important legislative season in Virginia is about to start.  Consequently I have some information to cover.

My schedule is about to really explode, from meetings across the state promoting Lobby Day, to the start of the 2014 General Assembly session on January 8th.  I plan on being at the General Assembly pretty much every day starting on January 8th.

Here is what will be happening over the next two months:

1.  VA-ALERT email volume is going to go way up, especially starting January 8th.  I will need to reach all of you about a host of events and many will be time sensitive.  Bills will begin moving and we will need to flood the General Assembly with emails and phone calls to support good bills and to kill the bad ones.  

Starting January 8th, please get in the habit of checking your emails frequently - many times a day.  That is important because we might only have a small window of time to react to events at the General Assembly.  This is where the rubber meets the road, folks.  VCDL will make it as easy as possible for you to get those emails out and into the in-boxes of the legislators.

2.  VCDL Updates will most likely come with few or no comments from me on the various items.  However, I will be in full communication mode when it comes to Alerts dealing with legislative issues in Virginia.

3.  I may not be as responsive as usual to emails. If you have any kind of membership question, please send them to [email protected]

That does not mean you can't contact me, especially if you have intelligence on legislative issues that you think I need to know about.

4.  If gun bills are going to be heard in a subcommittee or a committee, feel free to come to the General Assembly and attend those hearings!  The more Guns Save Lives stickers we have in the room, the better!

5.  For those following me on Twitter,  I will be tweeting out the status of bills as they are voted on in committee, subcommittee, or the Floor.  So if you are interesting in getting the news on gun bills quickly, follow me on Twitter (Phil Van Cleave VCDL@VCDL_ORG)

LOBBY DAY - JANUARY 20TH

On Monday, January 20th, at 8:30 AM Lobby Day will begin.  We want to have the largest Lobby Day ever as we stand unified to fight for our right to keep and bear arms!

Lobby Day is fun - you won't want to miss it!

Those with a CHP can carry at the General Assembly building.  There will be an express entrance for CHP holders on the west (9th Street) side of the General Assembly Building.  The only restriction on CHP carry is that no one can carry in the Senate balcony that overlooks the Senate Floor.  That restriction does not apply to the House balcony.  However, you will NOT need to go to either of those locations during Lobby Day, so it's nothing to be concerned about.

When you arrive at the General Assembly Building, go to the south side of the building, as that is where we will be marshaling.

You will be put into teams, each having an experienced team leader.  Your team will then go into the General Assembly to lobby the delegates and senators assigned to it.  Your team leader will handout VCDL's Firearm Bill Analysis document to each legislator or to the legislator's aide.

Everyone will be sporting a Guns Save Lives sticker to remind those at the General Assembly of our message and to show the sheer size and determination of our membership.

At 11 AM, everyone will head to the Bell Tower, which is on the southwest side of the Capitol grounds.  There we will have a rally with various speakers from 11 AM to 12 Noon.

Once the rally is over, if you haven't yet been to your senator and delegate's office, you can head back into the General Assembly Building to do so.  If you have seen them, then you are finished for the day.

I recommend business casual dress to give a professional image to the group, but it is not a requirement by any means.

DRESS WARMLY!

Here is a spectacular video from the 2010 Lobby Day.  This will show you want it's all about:

http://vimeo.com/34618841

Here is the Facebook page on Lobby Day:

https://www.facebook.com/events/212177935538984/
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 6:13:31 AM EDT
[#44]
I will check the work schedule on Monday. If we have the day off I will be there. If we don't have the day off I will ask for it off.

I will be rolling out from the Winchester area. If I get the day off I will post again about hooking up with a ride. I would be happy to drive.

Bulldog, I do have a CWP does the firearm need to be open or can it still be concealed?
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 6:15:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Will join VCDL as funds permit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 6:34:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Bulldog, I do have a CWP does the firearm need to be open or can it still be concealed?
View Quote

Either is fine. To get into the special CCW side entrance to the GA building you will need to show your permit however.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Either is fine. To get into the special CCW side entrance to the GA building you will need to show your permit however.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool. Thank you.

How should we dress. I know it's a weird question but appearance means a lot when we need to be professional.
Would jeans and a nice sweater be ok?
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

How should we dress. I know it's a weird question but appearance means a lot when we need to be professional.
View Quote

I'll quote the VA-Alert:

"I recommend business casual dress to give a professional image to the group, but it is not a requirement by any means. "

Jeans and sweater are fine.

Khaki's, sweater and a business jacket would be even better, imo.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I'll quote the VA-Alert:

"I recommend business casual dress to give a professional image to the group, but it is not a requirement by any means. "

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll quote the VA-Alert:

+1

Don't give the anti-group ANY ammunition, however trivial or petty.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Ok, count me in as well. I just put in my request for vacation that week.

Anybody else heading up from the Hampton Roads area and want to carpool?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top