Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2008 6:02:46 AM EDT
Silver Eagle Group indoor range is holding an IDPA style shoot (not affiliated yet, but they are going to be an IDPA club in the future)  Open to the public; no SEG membership required. Prior sign up *IS* required (see website link below).  Shoot will be held at the SEG indoor facility this Wednesday, 12/17.

There will be 3 time slots for you to choose from: 6pm, 7pm, or 8pm.  There will be 10 shooters per squad. Match fee will be either $20 or $25 (not clear on this one yet - will try to confirm later today).  Match director is an experienced, IDPA certified S.O.  The COF may run across two different bays.

SEG is in Ashburn, address and phone # are on their website. Call in or stop by to sign up:

http://www.silvereagle-group.com/ or hotlinked:

http://www.silvereagle-group.com/
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump for 12/16
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Edit: I hope everyone had fun.
CBR900, sorry to interrupt your thread. I have no personal beef with you.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 5:57:09 AM EDT
[#3]
OMG this place is like 5 miles from my house!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just in case anybody would like to change their mind and castrate them like you did BRA (it's only fair right?). See below.
Credit goes to Glarus for below info.

SEG executives political donations.
Marquez, Scott HERNDON, VA20171 $400 05/12/2008 P HILLARY CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT - Democrat
Marquez, Scott HERNDON, VA 20171MVM, Inc./Security Services $2,300 01/28/2008 P GERRY CONNOLLY FOR CONGRESS - Democrat (1)

Marquez, Dario Jr. MVM Inc./President VIENNAVA22182 500 11/8/2007BECERRA FOR CONGRESS - DEMOCRAT (2)
Marquez, Dario OMVM Inc/CEOVIENNAVA22182 2,300 1/31/2008HILLARY CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT - DEMOCRAT
Marquez, Dario O Jr ––IR 1,000 6/30/2007OBAMA FOR AMERICA - DEMOCRAT
Marquez, Dario O. Jr.MVM, Inc./Security ServicesVIENNAVA221822, 300 1/28/2008GERRY CONNOLLY FOR CONGRESS - DEMOCRAT
Marquez, Dario O. MVM Inc./Executive OAKTONVA22124 300 5/3/2002FRIENDS OF CONNIE MORELLA FOR CONGRESS - REPUBLICAN (3)
Marquez, Dario –– OAKTONVA22124- 1,140 12/30/2003KATE HANLEY FOR CONGRESS - DEMOCRAT
Marquez, DarioMVM Inc/President and CEOOAKTONVA22124 2,000 6/10/2003KATE HANLEY FOR CONGRESS - DEMOCRAT (4)

(1) "The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, along with its Virginia Million Mom March Chapters, today endorsed Gerry Connolly for Congress in Virginia's 11th Congressional District." - (http://www.bradynetwork.org/site/MessageViewer/&printer_friendly=1?em_id=31361.2)

(2) Rep Becerra is the sponsor of a bill requiring "microstamping" for pistols, a technology proven to be flawed and easily defeated by criminals. The bill's co-sponsors were a who's who of gun grabbing totalitarians, including Rep Rahm Emanuel (he who has shown allegiance to a nation other than the United States during a time of war by serving as a civilian in their armed forces, Rep Jesse Jackson, Jr., Rep Carolyn McCarthy (sponsor of HR1022), Rep Charles Rangel, and Rep Chris Van Hollen

(3) "Morella opposes her party's positions on...gun control (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connie_Morella#Congressional_career)

(4) In a unanimous vote by its board, FAIRFAX COUNTY recently banned its police department’s practice of trading seized guns back to gun dealers, according to The Washington Post. Instead, the guns will be destroyed so they don’t end up in criminal hands.
The supervisors also voted to prohibit the police department from exchanging their used service weapons for new ones, a practice that has become controversial.
“I believe that Fairfax county residents have a right to believe that guns seized by police should be returned to their legal owners or destroyed,” Board Chairman Kate Hanley told the newspaper. - (http://www.naco.org/cnews/1999/99-9-27/newsfrom.htm)

No business from me. What a bunch of fuck sticks
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#5]
An indoor range with proper air cirulation and ceiling mounted HEPA filtration to keep a customer's lead count in the blood stream low. . .what a novel concept.

They get all my future business.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
An indoor range with proper air cirulation and ceiling mounted HEPA filtration to keep a customer's lead count in the blood stream low. . .what a novel concept.

They get all my future business.

Gosh, we've had that at Gilberts for 24 years. We've passed every air quality test we've ever been given. In fact the air that leaves our range is cleaner than when it comes into the building.

Tim
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#7]
350 - that really was not helpful. At all.  If you don't have anything constructive to say about this IDPA shoot, please just stay out of this thread.

This is about an IDPA shoot.  Funds go to support the IDPA shoot. Following forum rules, check your political comments at the door (though you are welcome to bring your CCW gun & participate in the shoot).  

Read all about IDPA here: www.IDPA.com.  That is all.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
350 - that really was not helpful. At all.  If you don't have anything constructive to say about this IDPA shoot, please just stay out of this thread.

This is about an IDPA shoot.  Funds go to support the IDPA shoot. Following forum rules, check your political comments at the door (though you are welcome to bring your CCW gun & participate in the shoot).  

Link Posted: 12/16/2008 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#9]
probably wont shoot but ill go
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#10]

I signed up, shooting at seven.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#11]
We opened up a 9:00pm slot if you want to get in. Hope to see many of you there!
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 2:19:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Comments removed after reflection. Enjoy your shoot.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 2:44:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? Are you serious? After the backlash that took place in the BRA thread over their poltical views you all are gonna give these guys a free pass? That seems very unfair to me.

You know what's funny?  When the hubby posted on the SEG advertisement thread (nice first post BTW) that he wouldn't shoot at the range b/c of the political climate there, he wasn't talking about the campaign contributions of the owners.  A friend of ours attended the open house there with Dane von Breichenruchardt, one of the many legal strategists behind the Heller case.  When Dane introduced himself it was obvious that the staff was not comfortable with having him there.  Someone else looked up the owners' campaign contributions.

As for backlash, I'm not angry, I just won't spend my money there, and I've taken the contribution info on a few other sites so that folks can do the same.  Same with Zumbo, Cooper, HSP, BRA, and a host of other businesses.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 4:33:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? Are you serious? After the backlash that took place in the BRA thread over their poltical views you all are gonna give these guys a free pass? That seems very unfair to me.

The OP's thread is about IDPA, not SEG's political views. Commenting on those views is fine but you should start your own thread about them, not highjack someone elses.

Link Posted: 12/17/2008 4:37:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Why are you here?  Seriously, I am asking you: why?  Is this your idea of how best to defend your friends at BRA?

Everyone: This is a thread about a new IDPA shoot.  Those attending are supporting a new IDPA shoot.  Almost everyone responding are not even IDPA shooters.  So if you don't have anything constructive to add about IDPA shooting, kindly STFU here on this thread, and take your arguments where they belong - on threads about SEG politics.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/17/2008 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#16]
What is parking like at the new facility? Given the classes from 6PM-9Pm look to be filling up fast, should I get there early, or is parking ample?
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Considered showing up and just observing.

Then thought, "what the hell!" and just called and signed up for 9PM.  Any suggestions for an IDPA-newb?  

1) Expected round count?

2) IWB holsters allowed?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#18]
IWB holster is a great choice!  

I do not have a round count, but I believe you will be fully prepared with 3 boxes of ammo (150 rounds); rule I follow is bring twice as much ammo as you think you will need.  I've rarely done an IDPA that was more than 75 rounds.

-bring any sort of "cover garment" you normally use for CCW.  It can be a jacket (that is what I use), a shirt, even a sweatshirt if you want (as long as it covers the gun).

-IDPA does not have any "scenarios" that require more than 3 magazines, and that is all you need.  Likewise, just bring some method of carrying 2 magazines on your belt (the other mag is in the gun).

-have the gun you are going to use unloaded (in a box or your gunbag) and leave it there until you meet the "Safety Officer" (S.O.) on the range (his name is Jay; there might be other S.O.s helping out).  Jay will probably have an area set aside called a "safety area." The safety area is there for you to handle your unloaded, empty gun.  Just put on your holster (if not already on), put the unloaded gun in holster, and leave it there.  Reason for running things that way is to keep all the gun handling in one place (since there is not really the typical "firing line" we are used to).  It also keeps everyone on the same page until its your turn to shoot). It becomes clear once you see a shoot in person.  When you hand him your  sign up sheet/receipt, don't be shy about telling Jay that you want to go last & see how others handle the scenario - that is not only common, its recommended at the first shoot.

-when its your turn to shoot, leave the gun in the holster until you hear "Load and make ready."  Jay will handle things from there.

Most of all, enjoy the shoot! Get your hits (you are going for center-of-mass and - if called for, head-shot hits). Don't worry about time. There may be a couple speedy folks there, but ignore them and concentrate on safely getting your hits.

CBR

Quoted:

Then thought, "what the hell!" and just called and signed up for 9PM.  Any suggestions for an IDPA-newb?  

1) Expected round count?

2) IWB holsters allowed?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/17/2008 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#19]
If I ran IDPA ... I'd require IWB holsters and be done with it.  :)

You need to get down to one of the larger blackcreek matches  When Jim Taylor was stateside matches often required 120+ rounds .. IIRC the largest was 150+  He's been out a bunch, and so the matches have seemed more "normal" lately.  

But the real reason I checked in here ... Many folks may not have 2 mag holders for thier belt (if they haven't competed).  Nothing at all wrong with coming out of a pocket with one or both mags.  Only other issue .. make sure your pistol holster covers the trigger guard .. I don't know if they make them any other way nowadays?

Quoted:
IWB holster is a great choice!  

I do not have a round count, but I believe you will be fully prepared with 3 boxes of ammo (150 rounds); rule I follow is bring twice as much ammo as you think you will need.  I've rarely done an IDPA that was more than 75 rounds.

-bring any sort of "cover garment" you normally use for CCW.  It can be a jacket (that is what I use), a shirt, even a sweatshirt if you want (as long as it covers the gun).

-IDPA does not have any "scenarios" that require more than 3 magazines, and that is all you need.  Likewise, just bring some method of carrying 2 magazines on your belt (the other mag is in the gun).

-have the gun you are going to use unloaded (in a box or your gunbag) and leave it there until you meet the "Safety Officer" (S.O.) on the range (his name is Jay; there might be other S.O.s helping out).  Jay will probably have an area set aside called a "safety area." The safety area is there for you to handle your unloaded, empty gun.  Just put on your holster (if not already on), put the unloaded gun in holster, and leave it there.  Reason for running things that way is to keep all the gun handling in one place (since there is not really the typical "firing line" we are used to).  It also keeps everyone on the same page until its your turn to shoot). It becomes clear once you see a shoot in person.  When you hand him your  sign up sheet/receipt, don't be shy about telling Jay that you want to go last & see how others handle the scenario - that is not only common, its recommended at the first shoot.

-when its your turn to shoot, leave the gun in the holster until you hear "Load and make ready."  Jay will handle things from there.

Most of all, enjoy the shoot! Get your hits (you are going for center-of-mass and - if called for, head-shot hits). Don't worry about time. There may be a couple speedy folks there, but ignore them and concentrate on safely getting your hits.

CBR

Quoted:

1) Expected round count?

2) IWB holsters allowed?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/17/2008 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Good deal.  Thanks for the info.

I've only got a single-mag carrier but hopefully they have a double-mag carrier in their shop, or I can run my 3rd mag in a back pocket, or maybe I'll have time to stop by VA Arms (or more likely BRA since its en route) on the way up there.

ETA: just saw kdmoore's above post.  Back pocket it is!  
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#21]
i probably wont make it tonight, but is there any limit on mag capacity?  I ask because my spare mag is a 33 rounder.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes and no:

Yes, I think you can use the 33 rounder (I think Jay should let you anyway - if that is the mag you carry; it is "in the spirit of the CCW sport" if its your carry mag.  Plus I see no competitive advantage to it).

But, IPDA wants you to only load 10 rounds in the mag to prevent the sort of "magazine capacity wars" that used to go on in the eraly days of IPSC & which, back then, drove people away from competing with regular 1911s just because of capacity.  In fact, all guns in IDPA are limited to 10 rounds, except revolvers (6 of course) and 1911s (8).   The "no more than 10 rounds loaded" rule also makes the shoots exactly the same for our poor brothers trapped behind the lines in places like upstate NY and california - who can't buy newly made mags over 10 rounds (through no fault of their own).

Quoted:
i probably wont make it tonight, but is there any limit on mag capacity?  I ask because my spare mag is a 33 rounder.

Link Posted: 12/17/2008 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Just shot the match at the 2000 time slot.  Before tonight I was strictly a USPSA shooter and had never shot IDPA.  Well I can now say I am officially an IDPA and USPSA shooter.  What a fun time and PRACTICAL!!! Imagine That!!

Seriously though the staff was great even if they kept yelling at me, "No Air Gunning!!!""

I will deinfitely be shooting the IDPA and USPSA matches there!!!!

Jayson
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Shot the match.  It was very well put together, had lots of support staff which made it run very smooth, especially since this was  their first time they have done one of these.  I think once they hash somethings out it is only going to get better.   It seemed like it was a very basic match. No real twists given in the stages; however, it may have been a good idea not to try that stuff since again its their first one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 5:23:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Tons of fun!  First couple stages I felt like I did ok, perhaps because I was next to last to arrive and didn't see anyone else run a stage, so I went at my own pace.  But during the second half I got caught up in things and when the buzzer went off, all the instructions for sequence of hitting the targets and round count (as well as any good shooting techniques) went right out the window.  

Really highlighted a lot of my weaknesses, (and there are a LOT - trigger slap / non-existent reset, weak weapons manipulation / reholstering, inconsistent gear issues, etc) and gave me some focus on what to work on and where to improve - mainly SLOW DOWN and go at my own pace.

Organizers were top notch.  Definitely doing this again.  Just gotta become an IDPA member, find somewhere to classify and hit some other matches at NRA, BRA, or wherever.
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 5:36:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Organizers were top notch.  Definitely doing this again.  Just gotta become an IDPA member, find somewhere to classify and hit some other matches at NRA, BRA, or wherever.

Great to hear that everyone liked the shoot.  Have not yet spoken w/ the SO/RO who ran the shoot as of this morning - but I believe this will be a monthly shoot (year round probably).  I'll join you guys at the January shoot & give it a try.

As for more IDPA opportunities, here is what I posted elsewhere:

There is also an IDPA shoot at the NRA Range: call 703 267 1400 for schedule. The Range down in Stafford had(has?) a monthly IDPA shoot, as does the BRA once a month. Once the weather warms up, you should check out the IDPA shoots down at Black Creek - I have only shot the 3gun down there, but I've met the match director for IDPA and I hear the shoots are some of the best in VA. Finally, once the new Shooters range opens in Woodbridge in March or April 2009, we hope to be able to get both USPSA and IDPA started again if there is interest.

And don't miss the chance to shoot USPSA too.  Back when Shooters was hosting 4 different gun sports (IDPA, USPSA, 3gun and ICORE) - many of us shot all 4 sports. You would see many of the same folks at every shoot.  They are all GREAT for trigger time and improving your shooting & gun handling skills.

Look forward to seeing everyone in January.

Link Posted: 12/18/2008 5:48:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Damn...missed that one but I'll be there early Sat. morn....

looking fwd to many great shooting days in Ashburn!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top