Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2005 1:30:54 AM EDT
Our own Virginia range can be a possibility and we have over 659 737 members that have checked in and not to include others that are not on this board, tired of deciding where you can shoot?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:06:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:47:36 AM EDT
[#2]
And where would it be located. Personally, I think that is the biggest problem. I don't think there is one location that would satisfy enough members to get the financial backing it needs.

Great idea in theory though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:20:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in for $1,000.00.....who's with me!?!?!

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:29:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is it time for the yearly discussion on an ARFCOM range being purchased?

It would be nice if something like that could be done, but I think it would be a huge project.

Also, how would it be different from other local (private club) ranges?  I'm mainly asking because I haven't been to one...is it that none of the local clubs have long-range stations (other than Quantico)?  Or just the club rules/arrogant range officers?

One challenge would be ensuring the range is sustainable while still keeping access open for those who want to use it.  Otherwise it would become another difficult-to-use club.

Are there any national forests nearby?  There was a decent range near Blacksburg (Jefferson National Forest), though it was only 100yds.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:09:54 AM EDT
[#5]
there are a couple of things I pray for every day.  This is one of them.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd join and pay a yearly fee...

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Have it within 2 hrs of Nova and I'd be in.  

When Ben Affleck moves in lets have him get 1000 acres and we can shoot @ his place.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#8]
How would you all feel about leasing a place, similar to a hunt club lease.  I know of a possible location in Orange County. If there is enough interest, I could talk to the landowner.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#9]
From the look of the map, Orange County would be about as far as Quantico for me. I'll put in with that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#10]
GIT-R-DONE
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
The possible sight I am looking at is in Unionville, about 25 minutes from Fredericksburg.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Folks I am talking about a Virginia club property that we own, no lease or other legal restrictions where anyone can dictate to us what we can shoot or kicking us out.

I for one am willing to put the time and sweat into making this happen and it would be located somewhere in central Virginia, I am searching for property for such a place since this has been a rub of mine for sometime now.

We have attorneys, accountants, and others that would be instrumental in our cause to form a gun club in our favor. Also I know we have firearms instructors of every form on the board here so classes and a place to hold them would be possible here.

Think big and start small.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is it time for the yearly discussion on an ARFCOM range being purchased?

It would be nice if something like that could be done, but I think it would be a huge project.

Yes Sir!

I am beside myself on the lack of a range where it is feasible for most members to have a place to shoot, it would be a very intensive task and this is something that I want to see happen.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
And where would it be located. Personally, I think that is the biggest problem. I don't think there is one location that would satisfy enough members to get the financial backing it needs.

Great idea in theory though.

Looking at central Virginia.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I think the leased property is a good idea for a "quick win." It could also gage interest prior to making an expensive investment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#16]
You should probably look towards the south along the lines of Orange county or so where there is alot of wooded land out ther with good acerage.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#17]
That would be cool, says the new VA guy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Just a question: this would be closer than hite hollow right?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I live in Orange County and 2 acre lots are selling for any where from $75-110,000 right now. The tracts of land I have in mind are on farms. With taxes on the rise farmers are looking for more sources of income. I think these land owners would be more hospitable than you expect. Depending on the size of the club income for the owner could be any where from $2,500-$10,000 a year.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Folks I am talking about a Virginia club property that we own, no lease or other legal restrictions where anyone can dictate to us what we can shoot or kicking us out.

Think big and start small.

Point well made L-R-T or the actual land owner (don't forget about heirs) sells the land and all the sweat equity, land improvements etc.  for the range are gone.

To get the zoning needed, you need to be a land owner and be a part of the tax base to really impact a board of supervisors opinion, leasing land doesn't get you this.

Outside of this is all the other politics associated with getting the zoning. Do you want to let the local LEO agency use the range on certain days etc......

Don't forget EPA mandates on managment of lead.

IIRC the NRA has a group/consulting advice dedicated to opening ranges, I'll check on this and get back.

One suggestion I would throw into the mix, by more land than ever would be used for the range as a buffer zone from encroachment. Blackwater comprises approximately 6000 acres. With all the development in that area neighbors still hear shooting. I think another Vriginia club is going through encroachment problems as a result of zoning issue (mulitple ranges versus a (single) range.) As a side benefit the buffer zone could be hunted by members.

L-R-T you do think there wouyld be a corporation set up for the purchase to limit liability correct? One heck of an insurance policy will be needed that's for sure.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's links to the information I mentioned was available from the NRA. Help is available to design and set up a range. Use the experts to provide some structure for the development of a range.

www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/clubs.asp main insurance page

www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/rifleclubsapp.asp form has questions on it that show basics of what needs be addressed to obtain insurance.

www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/development.asp Range development guide from NRA

www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/technicalteam.asp Range technical team
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm in...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm in for $1,000.00.....who's with me!?!?!

Count me in!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I think gettin' in touch with the NRA is the way to go.  I will write a letter (along with my resume!) this week.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Tag for more discussion.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Excellent questions have been fielded and I cannot answer all of them but I can find out someone that can.

After discussing this with numerous other gun clubs and shooting ranges, it is our best interest to:

Incorporate

Purchase property

Start out small and work our way into hosting shoots and matches to provide funds to cover expenses.

Build at least a 200, 300,500, 600 yard range to host everything from long range matches to rattle battles. This would be easy since the range is actually one range with various known ranges, think military rifle range.

Most class F matches are 600 yard matches and they charge 25.00 per shooter and have up to 40 shooters. A potential of 1k per month for 100 dollars worth of targets could provide 900.00 dollars extra income per month for the range.

Pistol range and the area to host 3 gun matches, pistol ranges are small and take up less room.

I have more ideas.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm in for the sweat equity too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:00:55 AM EDT
[#30]
I hate dwelling on the negatives, but one thing that would bother me is *if* we were to get the land somewhere in Central VA, it is likely that some snobs in the area would mount a charge to shut us down with noise ordaninces and other BS.  Other than that I would be up for contributing whatever money/time that I can afford to.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:22:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Excellent questions have been fielded and I cannot answer all of them but I can find out someone that can.

After discussing this with numerous other gun clubs and shooting ranges, it is our best interest to:

Incorporate

Purchase property

Start out small and work our way into hosting shoots and matches to provide funds to cover expenses.

Build at least a 200, 300,500, 600 yard range to host everything from long range matches to rattle battles. This would be easy since the range is actually one range with various known ranges, think military rifle range.

Most class F matches are 600 yard matches and they charge 25.00 per shooter and have up to 40 shooters. A potential of 1k per month for 100 dollars worth of targets could provide 900.00 dollars extra income per month for the range.

Pistol range and the area to host 3 gun matches, pistol ranges are small and take up less room.

I have more ideas.

I know, one of us could make ammo and sell it there!

ETA: Maybe get grant involved in selling stuff at the matches?  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I hate dwelling on the negatives, but one thing that would bother me is *if* we were to get the land somewhere in Central VA, it is likely that some snobs in the area would mount a charge to shut us down with noise ordaninces and other BS.  Other than that I would be up for contributing whatever money/time that I can afford to.

Keep in mind that hills and thick wooded areas offer good sound barriers. With lots of research, I bet the VA guys will find an ideal location. Damn, if I just had some money to contribute, otherwise I offer my BLOOD,SWEAT & TEARS if and when this becomes a reality. Good luck and Best Wishes, LRT.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#33]
screw NOVA you guys got the NRA range up there. We desperately need one down here in Richmond. There is literally no place to shoot rifles, and the only place to shoot handguns is really expensive.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
screw NOVA you guys got the NRA range up there. We desperately need one down here in Richmond. There is literally no place to shoot rifles, and the only place to shoot handguns is really expensive.

Wow, quite a friendly attitude you have there!

I think we should make you the range "greeter"!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He speaks the truth.  There's a private range in Mechanicsville, and some state run land with tubes you shoot through, other than that it's try to find someone with a big back yard.

We could definitely use a good rifle range down here.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

He speaks the truth.  There's a private range in Mechanicsville, and some state run land with tubes you shoot through, other than that it's try to find someone with a big back yard.

So is your thought that if ARFCOM members got a range together that it would be open to the public? I am asking because you mention a private range in Mechanicsville (Blackcreek is the name).

I strongly recommend that if this range were to ever come to fruition that the range be private and not public. My recommendation is based on leagal reasons - liability of unsafe shooters. If the range is private you can control who shoots there, if it is public you cannot.

Personally, I would not invest if the range were open to the public.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm a poor broke college student, but I would be more than willing to pay a yearly fee(not over $100 a year though) and to put my weekends into helping build it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you also have cavalier, ,
i've been told of a club and range near ashland,
black creek near the airport,
a wma range to the east near the chick
amelia (tubes and it sucks)
rivanna to the west in c'ville

and i am sure i have left out a few
fact is there are a lot of "local" ranges depending on how far you want to drive,
very few have over 100yd ranges

where in central va are you thinking??

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Orange County.

Sounds like fun! I'd be interested in joining!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you also have cavalier, ,
i've been told of a club and range near ashland,
black creek near the airport,
a wma range to the east near the chick
amelia (tubes and it sucks)
rivanna to the west in c'ville

and i am sure i have left out a few
fact is there are a lot of "local" ranges depending on how far you want to drive,
very few have over 100yd ranges

where in central va are you thinking??

I was talking about amelia and black creek.  I really don't want to drive to C-ville to shoot, considering it'd take a couple of hours to get there, burning up most of the morning driving (plus current gas prices...).  
I'm sure you haven't left out a few, since what you mentioned are all the known options within a 100 mile radius.  Of course there will be private land ranges, those are word of mouth 99% of the time.
Cavalier and Black Creek are great ranges, but have membership waiting lists, if you're not already on.
Chickahominy WMA isn't bad, but the hours could be better and it's still a haul from central VA.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:42:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm in for $1,000 up front to get it started and 60 hours a year sweat equity to keep it going as long as it's within 2 hours of the Hampton Roads area.  When the Army sends me on my way in 3 years I'll just bow out and call the $1,000 range fees.  My reccomendation however is to only allow people with a vested interest to shoot on the range, unless it's some type of match that was organized by a member.  By vested interest I mean either money (amount would be decided when total cost is figured) or require X number of hours per month.  In fact I like that period, if you required let's say 5 hours a month from every person allowed to shoot out there and had 50 people in on it were looking at 250 hours a month of maintenance hours.  That would take care of all the grass cutting and wall building.  Anyways if it get's the green light withing 2 hours of Hampton Roads let me know.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I'm in...

Same here.  Money is tight but I can help in other ways.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Count me in
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#44]
count me in for $1000; need more, let's negotiate.  there will be costs associated with not only land and legal and....it's gonna be expensive!

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#45]
So we have atleast three guys who have pledged 1k a piece. Multiple said they would be willing to pay yearly fees or help with some money up front, and people who will put their blood and sweat into it. I think we could get this to work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Talked to the wife.
A real range with some property is good for multiple reasons.
I like the idea alot if it is at least 60 miles away from the National Capital Region.
If incorparated and open only to the land owners unless specific activities have been set aside for paying visitors I can see shelling up to $5k in a property that has multiple uses.
100 owners at $5k a piece may be a worthwhile investment in a good location.
If a suitable piece of property can be found I would not only be willing to put down money but also my time and sweat, I want to have somewhere that I call my own,  to take the family in the future to learn about nature, shooting sports and maybe even camp out once in a while.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#47]
1k?  If this was possible within <2 hrs from Nova I'd easily put 5-10k in there.  It sucks ass to drive 3 hrs to Hite Hollow to shoot.  

I can just see after buying the land and after a 'shoot' the neighbors all complain and file some type of noise restraint.    That would suck.

Therefore the solution is no neighbors and that is antithetical with <2hrs from Nova.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
there are a couple of things I pray for every day.  This is one of them.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:12:02 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Talked to the wife.
A real range with some property is good for multiple reasons.
I like the idea alot if it is at least 60 miles away from the National Capital Region.
If incorparated and open only to the land owners unless specific activities have been set aside for paying visitors I can see shelling up to $5k in a property that has multiple uses.
100 owners at $5k a piece may be a worthwhile investment in a good location.
If a suitable piece of property can be found I would not only be willing to put down money but also my time and sweat, I want to have somewhere that I call my own,  to take the family in the future to learn about nature, shooting sports and maybe even camp out once in a while.

same here that why i joined the IWLA in faifax until i found out that my kind wasn't wanted on their rifle range.  I guess i'm a little confused over the incorporation issue and what my rights would be as a partial owner.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#50]
If this is gonna happen 2-3+ hrs from NOVA, please consider a bunk house... nothing special, but somewhere to stay overnight to make a weekend of the visit.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top