Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2005 7:37:42 AM EDT
Just wondering where you folks took your basic pistol/CWP course and how much it cost.  I was going to take it at Shooters Paradise but they want $75.  I think that's a bit excessive.  I've seen some places offering the class for $40-$50.  Anyway, thanks for the info.  MJD
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Gilberts has a class that is $40 but its a class that is very basic and if you know the minimum you wont learn much.  

if you just need to take it to get your concealed permit then i recommend it since it is cheap and all you need.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the suggestion.  I calle Gilbert's but they're booked solid until July 19.  I'd like to get the class taken care of a little sooner than that.  MJD
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 9:08:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I paid $60, but that was in 1995 when the law changed.

The $75 is worth it for the hour spent with the attorney discussing use of lethal force in VA.  It could save you tens of thousands down the road.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I paid $60, but that was in 1995 when the law changed.

The $75 is worth it for the hour spent with the attorney discussing use of lethal force in VA.  It could save you tens of thousands down the road.

they have an attorney come in to Shooters Paradise to talk to the class??  

the guy at Gilberts was an old guy just explaining guns...didnt really say anything about VA law or i dont remember.

when i had my class at Gilberts they were supposed to be 8 people there that night and only 3 showed up...me, frtloop, and another guy so they might say they are booked but not everyone usually shows up.  if you arent busy you could go there about 15 mins before the class starts and if someone doesnt show up just jump in there.

Link Posted: 6/23/2005 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I did mine at NRA and while it cost more it was pretty good.  One of the NRA attorney's came in and talked and answered questions for about an hour.  They spent a good deal of time on different holsters. This was back when Eric was still there and he spent some time as an instructor on mindset and some time as an off-duty state tropper answering questions about interacting with police while carrying.  When I did my hour of range time the next evening the instructor spent about 10 minutes making sure I new the basics then we spent the rest of the hour working on draw stroke, multiple targets, etc.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just wondering where you folks took your basic pistol/CWP course and how much it cost.  I was going to take it at Shooters Paradise but they want $75.  I think that's a bit excessive.  I've seen some places offering the class for $40-$50.  Anyway, thanks for the info.  MJD

It depends on which class you take.  Virginia accepts any NRA course (Home Firearms Safety, Basic Pistol, Personal Protection...the latter being the class that the lawyer or POST lvl 2 certified police officer comes to the class).  I'm not even sure if they require it to be a pistol-specific course.  You may be able to take Basic Rifle and use that as proof of training just the same.

My class was at taxpayer expense (thanks!).  Everyone in my school district attended hunter safety class as part of the physical education curriculum.  I guess the court in my county (at the time) knew this, as they didn't require me to provide proof.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The one at Shooters is usually taught by US Capitol Police officer and Shooters Paradise owner Phil Strader.  Phil is a marksmanship instructor for the US Cap. PD.  The last few weeks it's been taught by two other very good instructors Bruce and Ken.  

A hunter safety course card was/is enough to satisfy the VA state requirements but I highly recommend taking a real firearms course.  Bruce is one of the instructors teaching the course on Saturdays at Shooters and is now a certified Utah instructor.  I'll be taking it from him soon as a Utah permit allows you to carry in a bunch of states even as a non-Utah resident.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I never took one (I had alternative training), but I’d strongly recommend you look for one with a good discussion of use-of-force issues.  As Bubbles already suggested, spending a few extra bucks up front for good training could potentially save you some major grief later on.

The NRA does a two evening class for $100.  The next class is sometime in July, but is full.  However, they do have a waiting list in case someone drops out.

Actually, unless things have changed, if you are ex-military your DD-214 is adequate to get a CCW.  If you’ve got one, you could start the application process now - but you’d still be wise to get some decent training at your convenience.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It depends on which class you take.  Virginia accepts any NRA course (Home Firearms Safety, Basic Pistol, Personal Protection...the latter being the class that the lawyer or POST lvl 2 certified police officer comes to the class).

Yeah, I took the Personal Protection course.  Lethal force laws vary widely from state to state, so I figured it would be a good idea to find out what is ok - and not - in Virginia.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I did mine at NRA and while it cost more it was pretty good.  One of the NRA attorney's came in and talked and answered questions for about an hour.  They spent a good deal of time on different holsters. This was back when Eric was still there and he spent some time as an instructor on mindset and some time as an off-duty state tropper answering questions about interacting with police while carrying.  When I did my hour of range time the next evening the instructor spent about 10 minutes making sure I new the basics then we spent the rest of the hour working on draw stroke, multiple targets, etc.

I took this class as well. I think it's around $100, but well worth it.
I strongly recommend it for the permit.
I'll IM you thier number.

Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I took the class at Shooters' Paradise about a year and half ago for $75.  Overall, I'd have to say it was pretty worthless in regards to anything involving CHPs.  They taught us how to load and unload semi's and revolvers, then had a range session.  Any questions on actually using a pistol for defense were answered with "I don't know, I'm not an attorney."  
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
[
The one at Shooters is usually taught by US Capitol Police officer and Shooters Paradise owner Phil Strader.  Phil is a marksmanship instructor for the US Cap. PD.  The last few weeks it's been taught by two other very good instructors Bruce and Ken.  

If that's who is teaching it, that's money well spent.  The other goober that used to do it was a complete idiot.  I still shake my head at the stuff he was spouting.  I was glad to hear he isn't associated with Shooters anymore.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I took the class at Shooters' Paradise about a year and half ago for $75.  Overall, I'd have to say it was pretty worthless in regards to anything involving CHPs.  They taught us how to load and unload semi's and revolvers, then had a range session.  Any questions on actually using a pistol for defense were answered with "I don't know, I'm not an attorney."  

To be fair you have to take a look at what you want out of the class.  I'm an instructor (NRA certified) and honestly most of the people that take the class to get their CHP want the shortest and cheapest class they can find that satisfies the state law.  Some of them clearly have a good grasp of safety and shooting fundamentals, and some of them clearly think that they do.    I will say that everyone I have instructed that has taken a Personal Protection class (where a lawyer or POST-2 certified PO speaks) has praised the class for at least that portion.  Whether that's what they wanted, or it was the most convenient class and happened to have that extra bennie, they left with an appreciation for the information they gained.

I carefully state that most instructors that want to protect their good status will never answer a legal question in a class.  Legal questions are best left to those that are insured against what they say.  If you have questions of a legal nature, it would be best to look for one of the classes that includes a legal advisor (such as the Personal Protection class, or one of the classes they hold at the NRA range).  Better yet, find a competent and trusted lawyer to help with the nagging questions.

Just as an aside, I wonder if most of the questions that are asked in the class are purely academic anyway.  Although the legal beagles do an excellent job of explaining the circumstances that must be present for justifiable or excusable homicide, how many life-threatening situations would afford the average person enough time to mentally check those boxes and then react.

There are several good answers here.  For the original poster, I suggest contacting the chief instructor of the class you wish to attend with the specific objectives you are looking to cover in the class.  If you hope to clarify specific legal questions, I have heard nothing but glowing remarks about the ~$100 course offered at the NRA and would not hesitate to recommend it.  (in addition to finding that trusted, competent lawyer)  
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#14]
The moron that taught Susan's class had a number of legal opinoins that he was willing to share.  One of them was when describing an intruder in the house.  He stated that you had to retreat.  He described backing up the stairs, into the bedroom and taking cover behind the closet, all the while, informing the intruder of your intent and ability to defend yourself.  He stated that you were obligated to do this.  In VA, that is not the case and to advise otherwise is insane.  

The class we took at Frontsight in NV was very good when it came to this.  They gave instruction as to what is legal in all states and told us to consult with local lawyers for more detailed info.  It was well done.  They also covered what is ethical and moral, as opposed to legal only.  The seminars made the class worthwhile by itself.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 6:57:53 AM EDT
[#15]
A guy at my range is an NRA certified instructor.  He gave me the basic pistol course over a weekday morning/early afternoon, for $10.  Can't beat that with a stick!  Of course, his use of force outlook is pretty old school lol..."as long as the body falls in the house"  kinda thing.  I would have liked to have had the NRA course, but couldn't scrape up the $150, OR get out there at 6:00pm after work, so I just went ahead and did the Basic Pistol to satisfy the requirements.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:49:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the information everybody, I am signed up for the basic pistol course at Shooter's Paradise next Saturday.  It looks like I didn't know what the fee included and who taught it.  
Sounds like it's going to be a good class.  MJD
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 4:54:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Thanks for the information everybody, I am signed up for the basic pistol course at Shooter's Paradise next Saturday.  It looks like I didn't know what the fee included and who taught it.  

Cool.  I'll be working, just ask for Robb to say hi.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 5:01:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool.  I'll be working, just ask for Robb to say hi.

Will do.  Heck, I may have to bring in that Sig 220 and let you do one of your fancy shmancy trigger jobs on it.  MJD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top