Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2011 8:54:51 PM EDT
I went in there looking for a M1 Garand and saw that they had a few GI ones.  I had a knowledgeable friend come with that had all the tools to check if it was safe to fire.  There was one that looked good, but swallowed a field guage, which I am to understand makes it unsafe to fire.  My friend told Dave this, and he set it in a side rack.  I go back in there the next day to pick up my Garand that was safe to fire, and there was the nerdy guy with glasses selling someone that unsafe  rifle!  and he had already started filling out the paperwork! Buyer beware!
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 7:35:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I went in there looking for a M1 Garand and saw that they had a few GI ones.  I had a knowledgeable friend come with that had all the tools to check if it was safe to fire.  There was one that looked good, but swallowed a field guage, which I am to understand makes it unsafe to fire.  My friend told Dave this, and he set it in a side rack.  I go back in there the next day to pick up my Garand that was safe to fire, and there was the nerdy guy with glasses selling someone that unsafe  rifle!  and he had already started filling out the paperwork! Buyer beware!

Red headed guy?
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Theyre a business and its treated as such.  Dont expect to walk in and talk to anyone with knowledge.  They are there to collect your money through whatever lies they can spew.  Skip that place and either buy from a local FFL or have a reputable place order one for you.

Ever since I set foot in American Firearms on University I swore I would never go back to Pekin Gun.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Red headed guy?

How about more info. Was he short, tall, fat, skinney,young, or old? I'll just bet that Dave wasn't aware that it was being sold.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Theyre a business and its treated as such.  Dont expect to walk in and talk to anyone with knowledge.  They are there to collect your money through whatever lies they can spew.  Skip that place and either buy from a local FFL or have a reputable place order one for you.

Ever since I set foot in American Firearms on University I swore I would never go back to Pekin Gun.

American Firearms is awesome. Always have a good experience there,friendly people,and not too bad prices either. I wonder if theyre open monday or not, Pekin Gun isnt too bad if they arent busy.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 5:43:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

American Firearms is awesome. Always have a good experience there,friendly people,and not too bad prices either. I wonder if theyre open monday or not, Pekin Gun isnt too bad if they arent busy.

I dont think AF is open on Mondays.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#6]
American isn't open on Mondays....but with the opening of the indoor range, they are open on Sunday's now!

I haven't been to Pekin Gun, or anywhere else, since the first time I went to American a year ago.

Link Posted: 12/26/2011 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Red headed guy?

That's him
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone used the range at American yet? Which calibers do they allow you to shoot?
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#9]
The folks at American always seem to insult me every time I go in there.  Additionally, the no xfers on used guns seemed. . . .fishy to me.  (If the owner is reading this, you're missing a huge profit area.  Used guns are the biggest money makers in the shop.)  Oh well.  I might try stopping by again later this week.  

Pekin Gun always seems to be wayyyy too busy, hard to get good service there.  I've seen some deals from time to time, but again, its almost impossible to get someone to help.  And some of their counter help need to cut down on the bullshit, and learn something about the products they sell.  Never assume you know more than the customer and try to feed them a line of bullshit, ESPECIALLY when the customer is quiet, courteous, and straight to the point.  

Lastly, Midwest is a small shop, but with the recent. . . change bringing new gun xfers up to $55 a pop, I'm probably going to be looking elsewheres the next time I look to do a transfer.  Charging me, the customer, $20 more to transfer something that I've ordered, bought and paid for, and done all the rest of the leg work for a custom firearm doesn't sit well.  There's another reason why, but I won't get into it.  Owner is a nice guy, but some of his counter help. . . .
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 7:01:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The folks at American always seem to insult me every time I go in there.  Additionally, the no xfers on used guns seemed. . . .fishy to me.  (If the owner is reading this, you're missing a huge profit area.  Used guns are the biggest money makers in the shop.)  Oh well.  I might try stopping by again later this week.  

I was thinking the same thing the whole time I listened to him B.S. me about how the insurance to sell used guns was too expensive.  Too expensive??  Then how come every other shop in town other than Dick's can afford to do it?

Express or implied liability is a really gray area, and I would imagine that it really doesn't apply, with the doctrine of Caveat Emptor applies to any used purchase, maybe used cars from a dealer might be different.

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Has anyone used the range at American yet? Which calibers do they allow you to shoot?

I saw the range last Friday when I was in there but didn't have time to shoot. I am heading over there tomorrow for a couple of things, so I'll get the low down on it.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Went to the range today....great experience. Really smooth operation....and a very clean and modern range.

Only $9/half hour. Read the info on their website. You can shoot just about any common calibers, including .223 and 7.62 rifle. Pretty much, if you can buy it there than you can shoot it.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Went to the range today....great experience. Really smooth operation....and a very clean and modern range.

Only $9/half hour. Read the info on their website. You can shoot just about any common calibers, including .223 and 7.62 rifle. Pretty much, if you can buy it there than you can shoot it.

What distances?  How many bays?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting that. Now I know what im doing my birthday next friday
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No shit, I was there browsing today also at about 330 or so.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I always deal with Dave, never really had a problem with him these last 20+ years. American seems to be decent enough, though I got a weird vibe about the people there.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Krazny13 -

There are 6 bays and the range goes out to 25 or 30 yards. The targets are on a motorized line (that you control) so you can set your own distance. It's a slick setup....

Truth2882 -

I think that you will enjoy your time there. Call ahead to reserve your time....and verify your caliber just in case (although anything standard should be fine). And Happy Birthday! Any time at the range is better than a day at work!

Kalahnikid -

I was there from 1115 to about 1200 or so. I didn't get to do much browsing as I was on a time crunch....but I'll probably be back tomorrow or Saturday as I want a few things.

I think that this range will draw more people to the are will than our new museum will. I can't wait to go back with more toys.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always deal with Dave, never really had a problem with him these last 20+ years. American seems to be decent enough, though I got a weird vibe about the people there.

Strange.....I haven't caught that vibe. Any specifics?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Kalahnikid -

I was there from 1115 to about 1200 or so. I didn't get to do much browsing as I was on a time crunch....but I'll probably be back tomorrow or Saturday as I want a few things.

I think that this range will draw more people to the are will than our new museum will. I can't wait to go back with more toys.....

I want the SCAR-H they have
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive only been in AF twice now, and dont know any of the people working there except the owner kinda sorta. He is a customer at a business I work for and he has always been a nice guy to me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kalahnikid -

Oh yeah!
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#22]
If you are in the Peoria area and looking for a transfer dealer, your search should begin and end here.  Greg will take care of you.

http://www.americasbasement.com/

I think Dave is pretty solid at Pekin Gun.  Notice I only said Dave.  Great inventory, but often crowded.

Dave's Trading Post is excellent.  I'd wager to say his prices on reloading components are the best in the state for a retail shop.  If I'd run a small business, I probably wouldn't take credit cards either.

Shipman's seemed like a fine little shop.

I concur with the vibe from American.  It is a pretty good shop, but I could go without being followed around and told what great prices (not) he has on guns.  It smells kind of funny in there too.  I think having the range will be very good for their business.  They seem like pretty good people.

John and Jan are good folks at Midwest Firearms.  They are strong in their support of the local shooting and 2A scene.  I'd encourage you all to support them.

Cliff is a great guy and he had a nice little shop around Rome at one time.

Presley's is a good store.  Gander is a nice place to look at long guns as you don't have to deal with anyone behind the counter.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Krazny13 -

There are 6 bays and the range goes out to 25 or 30 yards. The targets are on a motorized line (that you control) so you can set your own distance. It's a slick setup....

Good to know.  Can you bring your own ammo, or do you have to buy theirs?  Sounds tempting, but if I have to buy theirs, I'll pass.  (I've got 14 cases of .45 socked away, need to start sending it downrange.)
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Krazny13 -

Good to know.  Can you bring your own ammo, or do you have to buy theirs?  Sounds tempting, but if I have to buy theirs, I'll pass.  (I've got 14 cases of .45 socked away, need to start sending it downrange.)

You have to buy theirs.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 1:20:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Krazny13 -

You have to buy theirs.

Do they have decent ammo prices? If you have to buy theirs this place is sounding expensive I just sent my check off for Midwest up in spring bay. Fuck,its only $100 a year there.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Krazny13 -

You have to buy theirs.

Do they have decent ammo prices? If you have to buy theirs this place is sounding expensive I just sent my check off for Midwest up in spring bay. Fuck,its only $100 a year there.

Ammo prices are decent....cheaper than other places locally from what I've seen. I would talk to them about your situation and they will probably let you use your own ammo (especially considering that it is factory). I probably won't go to the indoor range often...unless it's a completely miserable day and I want to shoot.

I'm a member of Midwest as well. I was there on Thursday afternoon teaching my wife to shoot the 10/22. Nice and quiet....only a handful of people spread across the long, pistol, and shotgun ranges. Thanks for the reminder though....I need to send them my $75 renewal fee.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's hard to put my finger on, and I don't want to trash them as they seem to be good people, but I got the feeling I wasn't exactly the sort of customer they were hoping for. They were polite and professional at all times, but it was kinda disconcerting to be hit up for my FOID before I got six feet in the door.  They didn't have what I was there looking for (a complete S&W lower), but they immediately offered to get me one and gave me a quote, which I liked. I ended up buying it from them, I was happy enough with the transaction. It was certainly better than the time I went into Jack's about 15-20 years ago to try to sell a Luger and the guy at the counter (not Jack) started screaming at me for entertaining the thought that they'd be interested in a measly 9mm.    

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's hard to put my finger on, and I don't want to trash them as they seem to be good people, but I got the feeling I wasn't exactly the sort of customer they were hoping for. They were polite and professional at all times, but it was kinda disconcerting to be hit up for my FOID before I got six feet in the door.  They didn't have what I was there looking for (a complete S&W lower), but they immediately offered to get me one and gave me a quote, which I liked. I ended up buying it from them, I was happy enough with the transaction. It was certainly better than the time I went into Jack's about 15-20 years ago to try to sell a Luger and the guy at the counter (not Jack) started screaming at me for entertaining the thought that they'd be interested in a measly 9mm.    

I understand that feeling. This was the first gun shop that I had ever been in that asked for my FOID card before I could get past the counter. Then again, this is the first gun shop that I have ever been in where I could walk in and pick up pretty much any piece without having someone hound over me. I realized that the reason for being asked for your FOID upon entrance is so that they don't have to keep everything locked up and someone on hand in case you you want to handle something.

I dunno.....I like their operation and the laid back atmosphere. Then again, I'm one of those guys that like to research/browse and buy without having a hanger on. It is a different kind of shop, but I feel more comfortable there as opposed to certain other places around here.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ammo prices are decent....cheaper than other places locally from what I've seen. I would talk to them about your situation and they will probably let you use your own ammo (especially considering that it is factory). I probably won't go to the indoor range often...unless it's a completely miserable day and I want to shoot.

I'm a member of Midwest as well. I was there on Thursday afternoon teaching my wife to shoot the 10/22. Nice and quiet....only a handful of people spread across the long, pistol, and shotgun ranges. Thanks for the reminder though....I need to send them my $75 renewal fee.  

Eh, I'll pass for now.  Its farther away than MGCA, and I'd rather not load up a case of ammo if they wont let me shoot it.  Oh well, mayhaps after more people report back.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Eh, I'll pass for now.  Its farther away than MGCA, and I'd rather not load up a case of ammo if they wont let me shoot it.  Oh well, mayhaps after more people report back.

It'll prolly be too cold to go to MGCA by the time the Lyman STS I got on the EE arrives.....I plan on putting that on my CMP M12 and going up to American to sight it in on thier range. Thier prices on .22LR aren't out of line, so I 'm not going to waste money by paying for the privilege of bringing my own.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kalahnikid -

Ooohh.. I'm going to have to see if its still there.  I've been looking for one for months.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#32]
It was there when I stopped by two weeks ago.

I have to give it to them, they have a nice range there.

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 9:17:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It was there when I stopped by two weeks ago.

I have to give it to them, they have a nice range there.

Customer service is a toss up though. Some of the guys there are nice,others are assholes. I got bitches at by the owner for bringing in my own 223 ammo even though it says you can on their website. Look them up on Google,a lot of other people had the same problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top