Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/14/2006 1:26:14 PM EDT
For those of you that don't frequent the GD, kommisar heard on WLS that the Cook Co. Board passed the Sufferdin AWB:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=517473&page=1

I haven't seen anything on it yet.
Link Posted: 11/14/2006 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Well,

I can't find any info on it. I'm not calling BS, because it's totally possible, but I think that the original poster is new to the cause and is in the excitable phase - I was like that when I was younger and the Oak Park handgun ban opened my eyes (1985?) and I joined the cause full-throttle.

After years and years of this shit, we would have some warning from our friends on the floor and in Springfield. I've heard nothing. Is it possible? Yes. Probable? No.

Regardless, these next few years will be tough for us.
Link Posted: 11/14/2006 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a GD here?
Link Posted: 11/14/2006 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/14/2006 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I added this to that GD post....

What do you suppose the NRA will do about this?

WTFO??? Whether the NRA or any other gun lobby group does anything doesn't matter...What I can't figure out is why the fuck everyone asks that question...
Like the NRA, GOA or any other group has a magic wand or holds some sort of special powers....
One of the reasons gun owners in this state....hell in this country are in such trouble is IMO...largely due to the apathetic attitudes a large majority of gun owners have about their gun rights....Always looking for someone else to stand up for them....
I know a number of hunters, trap and skeet shooters that truly beleive their firearms are safe from the gun grabbers.....Wrong.....in case you didn't notice those fancy auto loading shotguns (semi-auto) make the list as well...None of us is safe from the rabid gun grabbers...Trouble is....we all need to get off our complacent dead ends and do something about it....OURSELVES!! Don't wait for the NRA, GOA (yes I am a member of both of these groups and others as well) or others to do what we need to do ourselves. Vote the gun grabbing bastards out of office....become active in your area's gun rights groups and clubs...Do something....anything.....

Link Posted: 11/14/2006 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard on WGN that Stroeger was working on tweeking the crookcounty AWB what ever that means.
Link Posted: 11/14/2006 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

WTFO??? Whether the NRA or any other gun lobby group does anything doesn't matter...What I can't figure out is why the fuck everyone asks that question...
Like the NRA, GOA or any other group has a magic wand or holds some sort of special powers....
One of the reasons gun owners in this state....hell in this country are in such trouble is IMO...largely due to the apathetic attitudes a large majority of gun owners have about their gun rights....Always looking for someone else to stand up for them....
I know a number of hunters, trap and skeet shooters that truly beleive their firearms are safe from the gun grabbers.....Wrong.....in case you didn't notice those fancy auto loading shotguns (semi-auto) make the list as well...None of us is safe from the rabid gun grabbers...Trouble is....we all need to get off our complacent dead ends and do something about it....OURSELVES!! Don't wait for the NRA, GOA (yes I am a member of both of these groups and others as well) or others to do what we need to do ourselves. Vote the gun grabbing bastards out of office....become active in your area's gun rights groups and clubs...Do something....anything.....

Amen Brother !!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2006 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing on the nine o'clock news about it tonight.
Link Posted: 11/14/2006 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Don't wait for the NRA, GOA (yes I am a member of both of these groups and others as well) or others to do what we need to do ourselves. Vote the gun grabbing bastards out of office....become active in your area's gun rights groups and clubs...Do something....anything.....

It doesn't seem to matter how us downstate guys vote. Our votes always seem to get cancelled out by the upper half or third of the state. Having said that, yes, I still vote in every election anyway.

I can not understand how Blago got re-elected. I mean I do understand how, I just don't understand why.....
Link Posted: 11/14/2006 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#9]
On the news today they said the board met and that Todd Stroger would be sworn in on December 4th, but they didn't say anything about voting on any new laws.
Link Posted: 11/14/2006 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Hello everyone. OK, I was going to post this same information but I'm fairly new around here and didn't want to be accused of being a troll so I held off. Here is what I heard: On WLS talk radio today at the top of the 3:00 news hour, newsman Jim Johnson said...The Cook County Board just passed a ban on the SALE of assault weapons in Cook County and villages wishing to continue to sell them must pass ordinances allowing them to do so....Thats it, thats all they said. I hope someone can research this to find out what the heck they were talking about because I could not find anything.
Link Posted: 11/14/2006 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/15/2006 3:12:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Mmmkay and once again, now that more guns are banned in Cook County what is going to be done about the corn rolled minorities that buy them illegally and actually commit these gun crimes? Do they get therapy when the ISP starts kicking down the doors of hard working white people in the suburbs? Or, are they going to actually start holding these coddled for five decades tax burdens accountable?

Boy I hope someday soon we drop the political correct bullshit and get down to the real problems in this country.
Link Posted: 11/15/2006 3:58:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hello everyone. OK, I was going to post this same information but I'm fairly new around here and didn't want to be accused of being a troll so I held off. Here is what I heard: On WLS talk radio today at the top of the 3:00 news hour, newsman Jim Johnson said...The Cook County Board just passed a ban on the SALE of assault weapons in Cook County and villages wishing to continue to sell them must pass ordinances allowing them to do so....Thats it, thats all they said. I hope someone can research this to find out what the heck they were talking about because I could not find anything.

I heard that report on WLS driving back to Champaign yesterday.
Link Posted: 11/15/2006 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Did a Google News search this morning:

www.dailysouthtown.com/news/136551,2NWS6-15.article

County tweaks assault-weapons bill

November 15, 2006
By Jonathan Lipman Staff writer

A long-stalled update to Cook County's assault-weapons ban was approved Tuesday during the board's final session of the term.

The board also renamed the county's administrative building at 69 W. Washington St. for longtime board president George Dunne, who died earlier this year. It also postponed action on a fair-housing initiative.

Commissioners pushed for final votes on several proposals Tuesday so the initiatives wouldn't expire when the board's term ends Dec. 4.

The gun bill, which has languished in committee for more than a year, makes the ban more inclusive by replacing a list of specifically banned weapons, such as the AK-47, with a list of descriptive terms such as automatic rifles with magazines of 10 rounds or more.

Ordinance author Larry Suffredin said more than 86 percent of voters were in favor of such a ban in a non-binding referendum question on the ballot last week.

"I think this is something the people want," he said.

Suffredin (D-Evanston) said he changed the bill at the last minute to exempt some hunting rifles, satisfying concerns from Republican commissioners Carl Hansen and Elizabeth Gorman.

Like many county ordinances, the ban affects unincorporated areas of the county and any municipality that does not have its own ordinance on the same subject.

The gun bill was an issue during the recent race for board president, with Democrat Todd Stroger saying he backed the bill while Republican Tony Peraica opposed it.

The only commissioner who voiced concerns about the bill was Joseph Mario Moreno (D-Chicago), who voted "present." All other commissioners were recorded as voting yes on a "voice vote" that does not require a roll call.

Suffredin also tried to win approval for a change to the county's human rights ordinance that would have prevented landlords from rejecting tenants on the basis of their source of income.

But commissioners decided to tackle the issue next term after Commissioner Forrest Claypool (D-Chicago) pointed out the measure would force landlords to participate in the Section 8 voucher program, which is now voluntary.

nwitimes.com/articles/2006/11/15/news/illiana/93a8d866095520498625722700100875.txt

Cook County Board tightens assault weapons ban
PUBLIC SAFETY: Amended ordinance should make it nearly impossible to skirt the law

BY DAMIAN JOSEPH
Medill News Service

This story ran on nwitimes.com on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 12:56 AM CST

CHICAGO | The Cook County Board tightened its assault weapons ban Tuesday to make it harder for gun manufacturers to circumvent existing and future legislation.

Under the previous ordinance, military-style assault weapons were banned by make and model number, not by the weapon's specifications. The amended ordinance includes descriptions of the weapons to be banned -- such as grips, scopes and ammunition clips -- making it nearly impossible for manufacturers to skirt the law with updated model names.

Along with the new descriptions, an updated list of guns was added to bring the ordinance up to date.

Commissioner Larry Suffredin, D-Evanston -- who introduced the updated ban -- stressed the importance of the new weapons descriptions.

"That means whatever the manufacturers do in the future, we got it," he said.

Voters overwhelmingly showed support for the ban in last week's election, passing a countywide referendum with 86 percent of the vote.

Board President-elect Todd Stroger was also on hand Tuesday to observe the board he will soon be taking control of, but offered little insight into his plans.

Stroger did say he was putting together a transition team to aid him, but is keeping the details to himself for now.

"Loose lips sink ships," he joked.

Stroger said his team is preparing to finalize next year's county budget, but said since it is not due until late February, there was "plenty of time."

Tuesday's meeting might have been the last for interim President Bobbie Steele. She has not yet decided whether she will hold on to her 2nd District commissioner's seat.

Steele said she will make a decision "before the new session begins," but declined to shed light on her thought process.

The first board meeting of the new session will be Dec. 6.
Link Posted: 11/15/2006 6:11:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I think they will post the ordinance HERE once it has been uploaded to the Cook Co. Board's website.
Link Posted: 11/15/2006 6:27:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 11/15/2006 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Mmmkay and once again, now that more guns are banned in Cook County what is going to be done about the corn rolled minorities that buy them illegally and actually commit these gun crimes? Do they get therapy when the ISP starts kicking down the doors of hard working white people in the suburbs? Or, are they going to actually start holding these coddled for five decades tax burdens accountable?

Boy I hope someday soon we drop the political correct bullshit and get down to the real problems in this country.

Well, I stand corrected - not the first time I've been wrong, and wont be the last, unfortunately. I guess they updated it and I'm quite excited that this now includes, "scopes"....

Secondly, Patriot, you are absolutely correct and it's nice to see it laid out without the usual PC toppings.
Link Posted: 11/15/2006 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#18]

That will never happen we live in a band aid feel good society

Link Posted: 11/15/2006 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Here is what I accidentally found in Yahoo.  Thank God I live in Ohio, but this B.S. will start to surface when the DUMBECRATS take over in January.

Yahoo Link
Link Posted: 11/15/2006 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#20]
So does anyone know yet if this is sale only, or posession also?  If it's posession, then I think they just made next year's possible home-buying decision a little easier.
Link Posted: 11/15/2006 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#21]
The article that was linked used to say this:

"No person shall manufacture, sell, offer or display for sale, give, lend, transfer ownership of, acquire or possess any assault weapon or large capacity magazine. "

I hope that this clause is still in place "except in municipalities which have a separate municipal ordinance specifically regulating the licensing of firearms dealers."

Because then I love B.G.!  http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/cgi-bin/hilite.pl/codes/buffgrove/_DATA/TITLE09/Chapter_9_90_WEAPONS_CONTROL.html?firearm
Link Posted: 11/15/2006 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

"No person shall manufacture, sell, offer or display for sale, give, lend, transfer ownership of, acquire or possess any assault weapon or large capacity magazine. "

I hope that this clause is still in place "except in municipalities which have a separate municipal ordinance specifically regulating the licensing of firearms dealers."

Because then I love B.G.!  http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/cgi-bin/hilite.pl/codes/buffgrove/_DATA/TITLE09/Chapter_9_90_WEAPONS_CONTROL.html?firearm

I assume that this ordinance (sp?) only applies to towns that are unincorporated and do not have firearm laws of their own. Is this true?
Link Posted: 11/16/2006 6:39:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Isn't Buffalo Grove in Lake County?
Link Posted: 11/16/2006 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#24]
BG is in both Lake and Crook County.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2006 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#25]
All I want to know is where the hell were the NRA, ISRA, GOA, Etc.?
Link Posted: 11/16/2006 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/16/2006 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What would you have them to do?  BTW, you a member of any/all of them?

Well, I for one would like the ISRA (NRA where applicable) to update their website in order to either comment upon the outcome of the numerous elections that occured, or address (sp?) the updated Cook County AWB. Maybe an alert? Do we all have to contact Vandermyde or Don Moran or whomever else to figure out why there is no information regarding antigun BS in the second most populous county in the United States?

I feel a bit down about the lack of info, personally. I assume that the many other affiliated members of this site are feeling this way, and would like some action, as well. While there may be little recourse, a small amount of guidance goes a long way.
Link Posted: 11/16/2006 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What would you have them to do?  BTW, you a member of any/all of them?

Yes, for your information, I am a member of all three of them.

I get their email updates, newsletters, etc.  And, there wasn't a peep in ANY of them about this.  There was from the ISRA when it was referred to the Health & Hospitals committee.  I called, made my opinion known, and spoke several members, not to mention with the Vice Chair of the Committee (Goslin I think)and relayed to them my opinions on this matter.  He stated that the bill never should have been referred to them, and that the committtee would take no action with it.

I would have liked to have known this was coming up for vote, so I could have made my opinion known again, and let others know the vote was coming.

Then, they drop the ball completely on something like this, and I begin to question why I am even a member of these organizations, what have they done for me?

Link Posted: 11/16/2006 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
So does anyone know yet if this is sale only, or posession also?  If it's posession, then I think they just made next year's possible home-buying decision a little easier.

I just hope this AWB doesn't pass.

IIRC, it was just a voter asking referendum right? It wasn't going to pass right away?
Link Posted: 11/16/2006 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#30]
IMOP,,  I think that the NRA has givin up on Illinois,
Link Posted: 11/16/2006 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm a member of the NRA, GOA, and ISRA and still have no idea what happened except for the articles that were posted in this thread.

I feel completely unrepresented in Illinois.
Link Posted: 11/16/2006 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/16/2006 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#33]
the sad truth is that in this state you would never get a large group of gun owners out there to protest---i remember when i was with the counter protest to the million mom marchers and maybe 40 people showed up
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 2:55:36 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'm a member of the NRA, GOA, and ISRA and still have no idea what happened except for the articles that were posted in this thread.

ISRA is a completely worthless organization that is run by very out of touch old men who have too much free time on their hands. Without Vandermyde, they'd have nothing. My money won't be spent with them anymore. What does anyone get from ISRA? A completely irrelevant newspaper four times a year that is so boring I fall asleep on the toilet reading it with three month old news in it?

Sorry Beekeeper, But ISRA needs to enter the 21st century. It's not 1975 anymore and there are way too many old men out there doing business like it is 1975. Put it this way, if any of you are counting on ISRA to help you in anyway, you are foolish.

Beekeeper, generally special interest groups have some clout and have inside information. I hope you don't believe that this type of political corruption is specific to Cook County, IL. This is how politics are in this day and age and ISRA has absolutely NO clout and no clue. They need some younger blood in there, but these days in America people in their 60's still think they are teenagers and have a clue, which is a huge problem.

Richard Pearson = useless
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 4:34:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Here we go again, infighting and placing blame when the real enemies linger in the shadows.
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ISRA is a completely worthless organization that is run by very out of touch old men who have too much free time on their hands. Without Vandermyde, they'd have nothing. My money won't be spent with them anymore. What does anyone get from ISRA? A completely irrelevant newspaper four times a year that is so boring I fall asleep on the toilet reading it with three month old news in it?

Sorry Beekeeper, But ISRA needs to enter the 21st century. It's not 1975 anymore and there are way too many old men out there doing business like it is 1975. Put it this way, if any of you are counting on ISRA to help you in anyway, you are foolish.

Beekeeper, generally special interest groups have some clout and have inside information. I hope you don't believe that this type of political corruption is specific to Cook County, IL. This is how politics are in this day and age and ISRA has absolutely NO clout and no clue. They need some younger blood in there, but these days in America people in their 60's still think they are teenagers and have a clue, which is a huge problem.

Richard Pearson = useless

Thanks for stepping up to the plate.  At least you are useful for offering criticism.

I guess it's just complete coincidence there have been NO anti-gun bills passed with a rabidly anti-gun governor, and similar leadership in both houses.  Just a coincidence I'm sure.  

Thanks for nothing actually.  

If you want to credit ISRA with that, that is certainly your perogative. ISRA is lucky to have Vandermyde. I have seen him in action, I was in Springfield for SB1195. Pearson was wandering the halls while vandermyde stood up to the gun grabbers and an actual Black hawk Down vet who runs a gun shop downstate.

FYI, I watched Kirk Dillard vote YES to send SB1195 further down it's path towards law while Obama voted NO. NRA gives Dillard an A- rating I believe, so you can believe whatever it is you like.

Thanks for nothing? i am a paid memebr of this site for almost for years, of which you are site staff. I have paid my membership and made dozens upon dozens of phone calls to Legislators and sent buckets of emails. I have traveled to Springfield, I have written the media and Governor and I, like hundreds of others mobilize quickly on the internet, many times this site to crash the phone systems in Springfield with an overabundance of calls of disgust to Liberal Chicago Gun Grabbers.

So, you are welcome, for nothing. If you think Richard Pearson is to thank for no anti gun bills passing, that's fine, that's your right. But it is because of US here that no bills have been passed. Do you have any idea how many times I have called John Cullerton's office? How many times has Pearson done that?

If you think old men with Garands are keeping us free, and that it isn't the furvor of Illinois gun owners taking legislators to task, then there is no point in trying to convince you.

By the time ISRA gets any news out, we have already begun our proverbial fire mission. My money is better spent on a faster computer to send legislators emails than a membership that gets me a stupid sticker and a lame ass newspaper. I'm waiting for the super spy decoder ring to show up next, those were effective in obtaining people's interest in 1940 too, like ISRA.

I am sure I will join again, as there is strength in numbers. But if you are holding your breath for ISRA to prevent anti gun legislation, you will turn blue and pass out. Ask the gun manufacturers of Illinois like DSA and Armalite who is truely keeping anti gun laws out of Illinois. I think you may be suprised.
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#39]

AMENDMENT TO THE
“COOK COUNTY DEADLY WEAPONS DEALER CONTROL ORDINANCE”

WHEREAS, the Federal assault weapons ban, of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, as amended, 18 USC Sec. 921 et seq. expired on September 13, 2004;  and

WHEREAS,  the County Board desires to (1) amend Ordinance 93-O-37, as amended by Ordinance 93-O-46 and Ordinance 99-O-27, Article I, Section 1-2  by striking and deleting language in section 1-2; and (2) amend Ordinance 93-O-37, as amended by Ordinance 93-O-46 and Ordinance 99-O-27, Article VI,  by deleting and  adding language as stricken through and underlined below.

NOW, THEREFORE, PURSUANT TO THE HOME RULE AUTHORITY OF THE COOK COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS, AS VESTED IN IT BY THE ILLINOIS CONSTITUTION OF 1970, HEREBY AMEND PORTIONS OF THE ORDINANCE, AS FOLLOWS:

ARTICLE I.  GENERAL PROVISIONS

Section 1-2 Applicabilty.

(a) This article shall control the licensing of all firearms dealers within Cook County except in home rule municipalities which have a separate municipal ordinance specifically regulating the licensing of firearms dealers.

(b) Pursuant to Article VII, Section 6(c) of the 1970 Constitution of the State of Illinois, if this article conflicts with an ordinance of a home rule municipality, the municipal ordinance shall prevail within its jurisdiction.

ARTICLE VI.  ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN

Section 6-1 Definitions.

As used in Article VI of this Ordinance, the following terms shall have the following meaning:

(1) A semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a  large capacity magazine detachable or otherwise and one or more of the following:

(A) only a pistrol grip without a stock attached;

(2) A semiautomatic pistol or any semi-automatic rifle that has a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition;

(3) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:

(A) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;

(B) A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;

(C) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel;

(D) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator; or

(E) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

(4) A semiautomatic shotgun that has one or more of the following:

(5) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

(6) Conversion kit, part or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(7) Shall include, but not be limited to, the models identified as follows:

(A) The following rifles or copies or duplicates thereof:

(i) AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR;

(ii) AR-10;

(iii) AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Armalite M15, or Olympic Arms PCR;

(iv) AR70;

(v) Calico Liberty;

(vi) Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle or Dragunov SVU;

(vii) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FNC;

(viii) Hi-Point Carbine;

(ix) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, or HK-PSG-1;

(x) Kel-Tec Sub Rifle;

(xii) Saiga;

(xiii) SAR-8, SAR-4800;

(xiv) SKS with detachable magazine;

(xv) SLG 95;

(xvi) SLR 95 or 96;

(xvii) Steyr AUG;

(xviii) Sturm, Ruger Mini-14;

(xix) Tavor;

(xx) Thompson 1927, Thompson M1, or Thompson 1927 Commando; or

(xxi) Uzi, Galil and Uzi Sporter, Galil Sporter, or Galil Sniper Rifle (Galatz).

(B) The following pistols or copies or duplicates thereof:

(i) Calico M-110;

(ii) MAC-10, MAC-11, or MPA3;

(iii) Olympic Arms OA;

(iv) TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22 Scorpion, or AB-10; or

(v) Uzi.

(C) The following shotguns or copies or duplicates thereof:

(i) Armscor 30 BG;

(ii) SPAS 12 or LAW 12;

(iii) Striker 12; or

(iv) Streetsweeper.

(b)  “Assault weapon” does not include any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or satisfies the definition of “antique firearm,” stated in this Ordinance, or weapons designed for Olympic target shooting events.

(c)  “Detachable magazine” means any ammunition feeding device, the function of which is to deliver one or more ammunition cartridges into the firing chamber, which can be removed from the firearm without the use of any tool, including a bullet or ammunition cartridge.

(d)  “Large capacity magazine” means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include the following:

(1) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

(2) A 22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.

(3) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

(e)  “Muzzle brake“ means a device attached to the muzzle of a weapon that utilizes escaping gas to reduce recoil.

(f)  “Muzzle compensator” means a device attached to the muzzle of a weapon that utlizies escaping gas to control muzzle movement.

Section 6-2 Assault weapons and large capacity magazines - Sale prohibited - Exceptions.

(a) No person shall manufacture, sell, offer or display for sale, give, lend, transfer ownership of, acquire or possess any assault weapon or large capacity magazine. This subsection shall not apply to:

(1) the sale or transfer to, or possession by any officer, agent, or employee of Cook County or any other municipality or state or of the United States, members of the armed forces of the United States; or the organized militia of this or any other state; or peace officers to the extent that any such person named in this subsection is otherwise authorized to acquire or possess an assault weapon and/or large capacity magazine and does so while is acting within the scope of his or her duties;  

(2) transportation of assault weapons or large capacity magazine if such weapons are broken down and in a non-functioning state and are not immediately accessible to any person.

(b) Any assault weapon or large capacity magazine possessed, sold or transferred in violation of subsection (a) of this section is hereby declared to be contraband and shall be seized and disposed of in accordance with the provisions of Section 6-2 of this Ordinance.

(c) Any person found in violation of this section shall be sentenced to not more than six months imprisonment or fined not less than $500.00 and not more than $1,000.00, or both.

(d) Any person who, prior to the effective date of the ordinance codified in this Ordinance, was legally in possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine prohibited by this section shall have  90 days from the effective date of the ordinance to do any of the following without being subject to prosecution hereunder:

(1) To remove the assault weapon or large capacity magazine from within the limits of the County of Cook; or

(2) To modify the assault weapon or large capacity magazine either to render it permanently inoperable or to permanently make it a device no longer defined as an assault weapon or large capacity magazine; or

(3) To surrender the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to the Sheriff or his designee for disposal as provided below.

Section 6-3 Destruction of weapons confiscated.

Whenever any firearm or large capacity magazine is surrendered or confiscated pursuant to the terms of this Ordinance, the Sheriff shall ascertain whether such firearm is needed as evidence in any matter.

If such firearm or large capacity magazine is not required for evidence it shall be destroyed at the direction of the Sheriff. A record of the date and method of destruction an inventory or the firearm or large capacity magazine so destroyed shall be maintained.
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Oh No
www.dailyherald.com/search/searchstory.asp?id=250302
-edit, just realized this was already confirmed
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

AMENDMENT TO THE

WHEREAS, the Federal assault weapons ban, of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, as amended, 18 USC Sec. 921 et seq. expired on September 13, 2004;  and

WHEREAS,  the County Board desires to (1) amend Ordinance 93-O-37, as amended by Ordinance 93-O-46 and Ordinance 99-O-27, Article I, Section 1-2  by striking and deleting language in section 1-2; and (2) amend Ordinance 93-O-37, as amended by Ordinance 93-O-46 and Ordinance 99-O-27, Article VI,  by deleting and  adding language as stricken through and underlined below.

NOW, THEREFORE, PURSUANT TO THE HOME RULE AUTHORITY OF THE COOK COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS, AS VESTED IN IT BY THE ILLINOIS CONSTITUTION OF 1970, HEREBY AMEND PORTIONS OF THE ORDINANCE, AS FOLLOWS:

ARTICLE I.  GENERAL PROVISIONS

Section 1-2 Applicabilty.

(a) This article shall control the licensing of all firearms dealers within Cook County except in home rule municipalities which have a separate municipal ordinance specifically regulating the licensing of firearms dealers.

(b) Pursuant to Article VII, Section 6(c) of the 1970 Constitution of the State of Illinois, if this article conflicts with an ordinance of a home rule municipality, the municipal ordinance shall prevail within its jurisdiction.

ARTICLE VI.  ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN

Section 6-1 Definitions.

As used in Article VI of this Ordinance, the following terms shall have the following meaning:

(1) A semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a  large capacity magazine detachable or otherwise and one or more of the following:

(2) A semiautomatic pistol or any semi-automatic rifle that has a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition;

(3) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:

(A) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;

(B) A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;

(C) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel;

(D) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator; or

(E) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

(4) A semiautomatic shotgun that has one or more of the following:

(5) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

(6) Conversion kit, part or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(7) Shall include, but not be limited to, the models identified as follows:

(A) The following rifles or copies or duplicates thereof:

(i) AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR;

(ii) AR-10;

(iii) AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Armalite M15, or Olympic Arms PCR;

(iv) AR70;

(v) Calico Liberty;

(vi) Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle or Dragunov SVU;

(vii) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FNC;

(viii) Hi-Point Carbine;

(ix) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, or HK-PSG-1;

(x) Kel-Tec Sub Rifle;

(xii) Saiga;

(xiii) SAR-8, SAR-4800;

(xiv) SKS with detachable magazine;

(xv) SLG 95;

(xvi) SLR 95 or 96;

(xvii) Steyr AUG;

(xviii) Sturm, Ruger Mini-14;

(xix) Tavor;

(xx) Thompson 1927, Thompson M1, or Thompson 1927 Commando; or

(xxi) Uzi, Galil and Uzi Sporter, Galil Sporter, or Galil Sniper Rifle (Galatz).

(B) The following pistols or copies or duplicates thereof:

(i) Calico M-110;

(ii) MAC-10, MAC-11, or MPA3;

(iii) Olympic Arms OA;

(iv) TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22 Scorpion, or AB-10; or

(v) Uzi.

(C) The following shotguns or copies or duplicates thereof:

(i) Armscor 30 BG;

(ii) SPAS 12 or LAW 12;

(iii) Striker 12; or

(iv) Streetsweeper.

(b)  “Assault weapon” does not include any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or satisfies the definition of “antique firearm,” stated in this Ordinance, or weapons designed for Olympic target shooting events.

(c)  “Detachable magazine” means any ammunition feeding device, the function of which is to deliver one or more ammunition cartridges into the firing chamber, which can be removed from the firearm without the use of any tool, including a bullet or ammunition cartridge.

(d)  “Large capacity magazine” means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include the following:

(1) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

(2) A 22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.

(3) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

(e)  “Muzzle brake“ means a device attached to the muzzle of a weapon that utilizes escaping gas to reduce recoil.

(f)  “Muzzle compensator” means a device attached to the muzzle of a weapon that utlizies escaping gas to control muzzle movement.

Section 6-2 Assault weapons and large capacity magazines - Sale prohibited - Exceptions.

(a) No person shall manufacture, sell, offer or display for sale, give, lend, transfer ownership of, acquire or possess any assault weapon or large capacity magazine. This subsection shall not apply to:

(1) the sale or transfer to, or possession by any officer, agent, or employee of Cook County or any other municipality or state or of the United States, members of the armed forces of the United States; or the organized militia of this or any other state; or peace officers to the extent that any such person named in this subsection is otherwise authorized to acquire or possess an assault weapon and/or large capacity magazine and does so while is acting within the scope of his or her duties;  

(2) transportation of assault weapons or large capacity magazine if such weapons are broken down and in a non-functioning state and are not immediately accessible to any person.

(b) Any assault weapon or large capacity magazine possessed, sold or transferred in violation of subsection (a) of this section is hereby declared to be contraband and shall be seized and disposed of in accordance with the provisions of Section 6-2 of this Ordinance.

(c) Any person found in violation of this section shall be sentenced to not more than six months imprisonment or fined not less than $500.00 and not more than $1,000.00, or both.

(d) Any person who, prior to the effective date of the ordinance codified in this Ordinance, was legally in possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine prohibited by this section shall have  90 days from the effective date of the ordinance to do any of the following without being subject to prosecution hereunder:

(1) To remove the assault weapon or large capacity magazine from within the limits of the County of Cook; or

(2) To modify the assault weapon or large capacity magazine either to render it permanently inoperable or to permanently make it a device no longer defined as an assault weapon or large capacity magazine; or

(3) To surrender the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to the Sheriff or his designee for disposal as provided below.

Section 6-3 Destruction of weapons confiscated.

Whenever any firearm or large capacity magazine is surrendered or confiscated pursuant to the terms of this Ordinance, the Sheriff shall ascertain whether such firearm is needed as evidence in any matter.

If such firearm or large capacity magazine is not required for evidence it shall be destroyed at the direction of the Sheriff. A record of the date and method of destruction an inventory or the firearm or large capacity magazine so destroyed shall be maintained.

KingC:

Is this the actual text of the updated ban and if so, where did you get it?
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#42]
height=8
Quoted:

AMENDMENT TO THE

WHEREAS, ....

Ok, is this the final article that was voted in? What is the source? If you went down to the clerks office and got a copy, thank you!

I ask as it seems to be missing the "hunt" exclusion that was mentioned in at least one of the newspapers.

Also, the cook county clerk has not posted the "post meeting" documents. @
http://www.cookctyclerk.com/sub/meeting_detail.asp?meeting_ID=137&year=2006

RR
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#43]
This is from an email from the office of Bobbie Steele. There was the original bill that we have all seen on Suffredin's website, then an ammendment to remove most all the evil charateristics section in 6.1 1 and 4,  and also remove the M1 Carbine from the banned named list. They told me in the email this was the one voted on and passed. Still is MUMBO-JUMBO.
Link Posted: 11/18/2006 1:16:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks. Does anyone know how to get the official copy? Do I just to the go clerks office and fill out some form requesting it?
Link Posted: 11/18/2006 1:21:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks. Does anyone know how to get the official copy? Do I just go to the county clerks office and fill out some form requesting it? Please let me know
Link Posted: 11/18/2006 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#46]
After the recent referendum on the ballot, I don't think there is any point for ISRA or NRA to waste their time on Cook County ordinances.  Especially since this was just an update of an existing law.  They have finite resources and they should save up for the fight on the statewide ban.
Link Posted: 11/18/2006 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Thanks. Does anyone know how to get the official copy? Do I just go to the county clerks office and fill out some form requesting it? Please let me know

I went through the updated post-meeting agenda from the link I posted on the first page of this thread.  Still nothing in there abour the AWB.  I couldn't find an official source yet.

Link Posted: 11/18/2006 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Imperial Decree

An imperial decree is a decree issued by a sovereign ruler, such as an emperor, king, or similarly styled person. Imperial decrees from monarchial times differ from decrees issued by heads of state in modern democracies in that they embodied a force of law that was subject to no limitations either by other branches of government, or through the democratic process.
Link Posted: 11/18/2006 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#49]
This bill is so bizzare. The Clark Pinmaster 1911 I owned until this morning is now an assult weapon. So dangerous with its 8 round mag and compensator. At least certain other more important parts of my collection were not covered. I really am going to have to get an official copy for my self and I will scan it and post it for the rest of us.

Now for the funny story. I decided that since the comp really does nothing for 45ACP, I decided to part with the Pinmaster. I put it on consignment at my regular shop and it did not even make it off the counter before it sold to another regular. Seeing that it sold I decided to pick up a rifle with the proceeds. The guy that bought my Pinmaster then proceeded to tell me that the rifle I just bought was one that he had put on consignment. Small world.
Link Posted: 11/18/2006 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Right now I'm really asking myself just why in the hell I moved from DuPage into Cook 6 months ago. The previous AWB was bad, but I don't have an AR (yet) so figured I could tolerate it for 2 years til I bought a house. This ban on hicap mags has put me over the edge. Almost every mag I have holds at least 13 rounds. I need to check with my local PD on mon. Hopefully they have their own ordinance which overrides this.

Otherwise I might have to move & buy an AR out of spite for this BS.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top